+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangan Ronpa (Translated VN via SA) [Spoilers through DRV3]

Default Dangan Ronpa (Translated VN via SA) [Spoilers through DRV3]

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1

First off, this is a VN being translated accurately on the forum. All music is uploaded and posted alongside the dialogue so you can listen to the relevant tracks as you read, all necessary videos are taken. It's basically the entire process of the game/visual novel and consequently almost the same experience. It's akin to a serial, honestly, since he does it in frequent every-three-day-or-so updates, and it's a cool format to it. It is presently at the halfway point.

A ton of people I know are going crazy over this so I think it's time to bring this to Arlong Park too. If you enjoyed last year's 999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors then you'll probably absolutely dig this.

It's a clever PSP visual novel that's like a combination of Battle Royale with Phoenix Wright, to put it lightly. 15 students of unique high level talents are brought to a famous academy for the gifted, only to wake up inside locked and tormented by a
    Doraemon-voiced black and white bear who goes by the name Monokuma. He incites them to murder each other for his own gleeful sadistic benefit.

And amazing shit happens. It's fairly unpredictable out the first chapter (and even that has some clever twists) and it proves to be heading in the direction of absolute craziness.

Catch up, read it, and discuss this shit because it's the bomb okay

Default Re: Dangan Ronpa (Translated VN via SA)

If, by some mind-boggling chance, Holy's superb post isn't enough incentive here's a video of the opening and a trailer

Spoiler:

Also for the One Piece fan in you all, Kazuya Nakai and Kappei Yamaguchi lend their vocals to the cast.

As a final bonus, the soundtrack is composed by Masafumi Takada. Who you'll recognize from God Hand or a myriad of Suda51 titles.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Schwerer Gustav; February 24th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Yeah guys it's the bomb

Anyways my current thoughts on the newst update (I am like what lol)

Spoiler:
    The fuck is Monokuma up to with the motivation to murder, this time, being.... money. Compared to how personalized the previous ones were, this seems weird. Monokuma always knows the right buttons to push, though, so there must be some reason he's offering the money.

Or maybe he threw it in as a red herring so the murderer could claim no care.

Grr, everybody even said they didn't care about the money. But he wouldn't do it without reason.

About half way through the first chapter of the LP. Man this game is crazy awesome so far.

Is there any hope AT ALL that this will be brought to western shores?

XSeed evidently said at one time it was on their radar? It's also getting a sequel so maybe that would bolster its chances. With PSP I never hold out any vain hopes though.

Yeah, fair enough.

I'm only half-way through chapter one and I already know who my favorite characters are going to be. Here's hoping they're not offed by the end.

Really pulling for Asahina to win a spot in the next free time update! Love dem genki girls.

Started reading the thread earlier today and somehow ended up going through all of it in one go. This thing is addictive as heck. Although, I must say reading Dangan Ronpa like this instead of playing it on a handheld makes me feel a little empty inside, but guess there's no helping it. I don't own a PSP or even have a smattering of Japanese.

It's my first Visual Novel experience too, but oh man is it a good one. The soundtrack, the plot, the characters.. there's nothing to complain about with the execution -- or at least I can't come up with anything after only having read it once. Everything worked so well.

Also, regarding the current situation were in..
    Spoiler:
    I don't know what it is, but something tells me the money is going to be a real incentive for at least one of our cast. We never knew about Mondo's weakness complex before he confessed so it could easily arouse strong negative emotions in one of the characters unbeknownst to us. I'm already suspecting the ever so stoned fortune teller guy whose name I always seem to forget. His "there's no way any of us would even want money, right?" act sure sounded like he was trying to mask something..

Also, who do you guys think is the insider? I really wouldn't want to doubt Kirigiri, but in all honesty, she seems like the most prominent candidate for that role right now. Either her or Celes. Both are managing well in keeping their cool at all times and both know stuff not everyone would.. Knowing Monobear and the game, it could be someone completely else as well, but those two definitely pique my interest the most.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

If it makes you feel better you're not missing terribly much from not being able to personally play it from what I've heard.

Spoiler:
    Yeah Hagakure is who I suspect the most too. Though with how twisty this game is supposed to be I never ever trust my gut. The end of chapter 3 and beyond is supposed to get nuts beyond nuts.

As for the mole most of my friends seem to have an eye on how incredibly odd Junko getting offed was and think her involvement isn't over yet. I'm inclined to agree. I mean at first I took her death at face as just WELP MONOBEAR KILLED SOMEONE BECAUSE HE'S MONOBEAR but the more time that goes on and the more my friends theorize on the point the more I really have to think Junko is in on it. At any rate Kirigiri and Celes are way too obvious.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Kirigiri won next free time

New theory after that update

Spoiler:
    If everyone's memories were wiped and they spent a year at the school together, whatever process it did to wipe the memories affected Kirigiri too much. Possibly on purpose.

I bet she's sincerely a High School Level ??? because her memory is fucked up. If she's detective, then maybe she just barely remembers the details, just the process.

That was a pretty devious question Kirigiri posed

Spoiler:
    How could I be expected to resist answering that Asahina is a SUPER HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL... NICE BODY!

Really coulda gone for an Asahina free time though...
    Last edited by Schwerer Gustav; February 27th, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwerer Gustav View Post
    That was a pretty devious question Kirigiri posed

Spoiler:
    How could I be expected to resist answering that Asahina is a SUPER HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL... NICE BODY!

Really coulda gone for an Asahina free time though...
    http://i.imgur.com/TL0Dv.png
    I'm with you there, Gustav. She must really have strong muscles and technique, to be such a good swimmer, because she certainly isn't very aerodynamic.

Spoiler:
    I think Hagakure is being suspicious about the money, but maybe he's being too obvious about it to be the potential killer? And if he hadn't shown up just now, I was gonna say Ishimaru was a prime victim candidate, because he's offered all he has to the story. But maybe he's still got something left to do?

Spoiler:
    I almost wonder if money will truly even be the motive for the next murder. Like most of the remaining characters don't even want/need it, and Holy even said it could very well just be a red herring. I think Alter Ego will be much more key to the rest of this chapter. That whole UNMONITORED LOCKER ROOM is just screaming to come into some sort of play, not to mention this situation where Kirigiri is keeping her room open.

Also I hope Ishimaru pulls back out of this before the end because I really loved his character and it'd be a damn shame to just watch him ellipse for the rest of his inclusion in the story.

Also, for anyone interested, I've uploaded the full OST. Orenronen has done a fantastic job cuing the OST throughout the LP, but I was dying for a few tracks like the court scene themes that he doesn't cue since he does videos of the entire process.
    Last edited by Schwerer Gustav; February 29th, 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: uploaded the OST myself

Choosing "Nice Body" for Asahina's SHSL power produces this dialogue:

Naegi (thinking): Nice Body...
    Naegi (thinking): N...no! What am I thinking?
    Kirigiri: What is it? You're making a weird face.
    Naegi: I...I'm sorry... Um, Asahina-san is...
    Kirigiri: ...So you can't answer? You're trying to deceive us after all...
    Naegi: N...no, you've got it wrong! I can answer!
    Kirigiri: Well, then, hurry up.

And we get to choose again.
    Haha I'm... dying here

This story is making me excited.

I can't decide if they're all in the future, on another planet or what.

The executions of characters are a tad underwhelming though, if not completely hilarious (and painful).

But man, I'd love to hang out with Monobear... if I wasn't in their situation. He's hilarious.

Anyone wonder why they didn't try digging out yet?
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

Spent the last day or so catching up with this series.

It's taking all of my willpower to wait for orenronen's translations and not hunt for spoilers around the web. Very engaging story and characters, with slick visuals and a great soundtrack to boot. More people need to check this out!

Regarding the latest update:
    Spoiler:
    Very interested to see why Ishimaru is visiting Naegi's room. Hope he snaps out of the trance he's been in since Mondo's death - I felt pretty bad for him when that all went down.

One of the things I noticed about this series is that there really isn't any profound sense of satisfaction in witnessing the execution of the murderers, at least for me. I certainly didn't get that RAWR JUSTICE feeling when Leon and Mondo were sentenced; if anything, it felt like an additional tragedy heaped upon an already sad and desperate situation -- and that's one of the aspects I really like about this series' story; those shades of grey. Great stuff.

Also, the mystery surrounding the picture of Mondo, Leon, and Chihiro is just eating me alive. How did that picture come to be? What happened to that school? The "post-apocalyptic outside world + amnesia" theory is really starting to sound good to me, but there are still so many loose ends and--gah! I need another update!

a mood come alive.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromonki View Post
    The executions of characters are a tad underwhelming though, if not completely hilarious (and painful).

But man, I'd love to hang out with Monobear... if I wasn't in their situation. He's hilarious.

Anyone wonder why they didn't try digging out yet?
    The executions are like the most horrifying thing portrayed in the most innocently, cartoony fashion. I still don't know how to regard them.

As for Monobear I bet he's the biggest pal when he's not trying to pit you against your peers in a giant murderfest.

Also I'd assume if digging out was feasible at all it couldn't be done anywhere without a camera. Though it'd certainly be a funny twist to see the gang make it out by digging an old fashioned spoon tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
    Spent the last day or so catching up with this series.

It's taking all of my willpower to wait for orenronen's translations and not hunt for spoilers around the web. Very engaging story and characters, with slick visuals and a great soundtrack to boot. More people need to check this out!

Regarding the latest update:
    Spoiler:
    Very interested to see why Ishimaru is visiting Naegi's room. Hope he snaps out of the trance he's been in since Mondo's death - I felt pretty bad for him when that all went down.

One of the things I noticed about this series is that there really isn't any profound sense of satisfaction in witnessing the execution of the murderers, at least for me. I certainly didn't get that RAWR JUSTICE feeling when Leon and Mondo were sentenced; if anything, it felt like an additional tragedy heaped upon an already sad and desperate situation -- and that's one of the aspects I really like about this series' story; those shades of grey. Great stuff.

Also, the mystery surrounding the picture of Mondo, Leon, and Chihiro is just eating me alive. How did that picture come to be? What happened to that school? The "post-apocalyptic outside world + amnesia" theory is really starting to sound good to me, but there are still so many loose ends and--gah! I need another update! http://i42.tinypic.com/2mqu7w9.gif
    I was able to gain a bit of patience once Holy got me to think of it more as a serial that comes out every few days. Also going ahead wouldn't be fun with no one to discuss it with so that stays my hand too!

Spoiler:
    Oh I know. PLEASE pull back Ishimaru you were such a great character. :'(

As for the executions I don't think you are supposed to get any sense of justice from them. Or if you do you're pretty sick. It's like you said just tragedy and despair. But in a really great and engaging way.

I really don't know WHAT to make of that photo. But the biggest hitch in any location theories seems to always crash against the wall of the cafeteria restock. The most apparent reason it locks down at Night Time seems to be to restock, but then what's going on if we're in space/the future/another reality??

Anyway I'm glad more people are starting to read it. I hope a lot more people check it out too it's just... so good. :')

Here are my extensive theories on what's happening that are missing bits, but if any of them are true, they fit into the others pretty well

Spoiler:
    I think Monokuma is a student. Or even one of them, specifically! I think the idea that Monokuma is the 16th student seems to fit well. I have a theory on the identity of this 16th student too. The "murderer" being a member of an extensive cast is the oldest game in the book, but it tends to be always played, even when it seems like it won't happen. The reason for this is just because seeing somebody you know turn out to be BEHIND EVERYTHING is always a surprising and effective twist. The reason most readers never suspect characters, or feel they have no evidence to suspect any characters, always leaves it in the back of the mind but never as a priority in the mystery. Yet time and time again, in ensemble casts like this, it's always a character you know behind it. 999 did this too, even! When it seemed impossible! So why not DR? I mean, it's possibly monokuma is a character we haven't been introduced to yet, but I can't theorize off of that. So.

Without further ado...

Just going off that idea, which could be total bullshit, I feel like it'd be awesome if Monokuma was a student. First off, this theory is going with the idea that an apocalypse happened outside, the cast were all students at the regular academy for a year, and then got their memories wiped somehow (also I think if that's true, for some reason, Kirigiri had her memory SUPER WIPED). It'd make story sense, since the student might have reasons to specifically pick their classmates. But who would it be?

Well Junko sure had a fucking weird, pointless death. Think about it, in a game as tightly put together as this, why just kill off a character as an example that the situation is real. We already saw the Idol, Maizono, die. And when other characters have toyed with Monokuma physically and not been killed, it just seems inconsistent. It's not something a player/reader thinks long about, really, but what about her dying words too? She seemed pretty surprised and said something to the effect of "wait? What?!"

If Junko was in cahoots with Monokuma, that would explain her surprise. She could easily be the mole and the case for her being the mole is stronger than anyone else. But there's something else to her. Naegi had an offhand comment early on about how she looked different in person, instead of in the magazines. Junko makes a joke about Photoshop and the reader probably forgot about it. But what if ... That's because it wasn't Junko?

Think about it. I have no idea why and this is where my theorizing starts revealing itself as baseless, but what if the Junko we saw wasn't Junko at all. The questions are why was she dressed that way and where is the real Junko? My guess is that the only place she could be is that she's fucking Monobear.

That's my only idea on who the 16th Student is. Basically this is all total bullshit where I just try connecting one theory to another baselessly so that it circularly makes sense to itself. But hey, I think it's interesting. Obviously the questions this raises are, or rather, points that shoot it down, are:

* Why would Junko hide herself if everyone had their memories wiped and why would somebody be dressed as her (maybe explained with Junko needing somebody to be Junko so the entire student body was there??? For... some reason that might be important???)
    * The mole seemed to be somebody still alive, so if she wasn't the mole, what was her purpose? She clearly has more to her character than being killed as a pointless example and we either learn through more information in the future, or her role isn't done.
    * If Junko was monokuma what are her motivations, we know Monokuma is doing it for DESPAIR and being sadistic, so maybe Junko has some bad past???

I dunno, this is total crazy bullshit. It's flimsy, but it's something to think about.

Spoiler:

I agree with you, but the thing that makes me suspicious is rather how Monobear attacked her and no one else for getting an attitude with him. I mean, other kids have attacked him at times, and he's done nothing but laugh it off.

So yeah, I don't think that was the real Junko, but also, I don't that's the 16th student. Since Junko slot is included in the original 15. Could Junko be Monobear though? I find that more likely.

And I think Cele is going to kill for the money. She does whatever it takes to come out with a big win, so she's just putting on her poker face for right now. Does she need the money? No. But she's going to look at this as a gamble, and go for the win.

Who is she going to kill? I have no clue.

I think Fatty is the mole. He's using "2D" as his alibi, but I think he's been going to that laptop for other reasons....

if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

This theme is still probably the most hilariously disturbing thing ever.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information