+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Journey

Default Journey

From the company that brought you Flow and Flower (which was also fantastic).

If you have a playstation+ account, you can get it now. Everyone else has to wait until next Tuesday. Its currently charting a near flawless score on Metacritic, and deservedly so.

I would try to describe it, and why you need to play it, but that would just ruin it. It's perfect. Its Shadow of the Colossus meets Nights Into Dreams. The two player mode is... something else. And I'm going to play many many more times. And make friends play it.

If you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to get this game.

It is that simple.
    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://www.anaria.net/

Wasnt planning on buying any new games, untill i finish all the games i own. But i want this ..bad. Probably going to get it when im back from work

Xbox: Gaiyae
    Psn id:
    Gaiyae
    3ds FC: 3609 - 1026 - 9535

Default Re: Journey

I just wanted to add some quick notes after playing Journey.

I should mention first that, much like Flower, it is not a game about challenge, score, or replay value. Moreover, the gameplay exists to immerse you in the experience and is, by design, very simple. If you are the kind of gamer who primarily plays games for challenge or competition you should avoid this title.

Overall, I found the game to be quite enjoyable. The game is visually stunning with varied environments. While stylized, the game remains very beautiful throughout. The sound, like in Flower, fits wonderfully. I won't spoil anything about the actual story but I will say that I felt more of an emotional connection with the story in Flower than in Journey. I'm sure this will vary widely from person to person but I thought I would mention it.

If you like unique or interesting games you should definitely pick this up (and Flower for that matter).

Shares the name of one of my favorite bands of all time.

Guess I'll have to check it out.

I've been going crazy waiting for this game ever since it was first teased. All I need is this and Fez and my 2012 in downloadable titles is complete.

If anyone wants to see more of the game VGA (Video Games Awesome) is playing Journey starting now. Watch it here. Of course, if you're sure you want to buy the game I wouldn't watch as it will spoil stuff.

EDIT:

The livestream is over but you can still see it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=edit_ok

They've only gone through about a third of the game so far.
    Last edited by SleepySlug; March 12th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

So. I played through the game again, (second time in two nights!) I had *planned* to just look around and rune hunt and try to do a couple trophy challenges. Yesterday I'd run into a couple different random players and interacted some, and that was fun for short stretches, but I was still figuring out the game and get lost/seperated easily, and really came of it as I just played the game straight through. But this time...

Spoiler:
    At the start of the first main area, I found someone who was willing to sit and meditate with me for a bit (its one of the trophies.) The fact that they were willing, AND knew that the select button let you sit to begin with, told me that they'd probably done at least one run through and knew what they were doing. So I figured I'd follow them around.

We cooperated and got along instantly (and mind you the game only has sound cue effects to communicate) We explored, led to and found runes, stayed right by each others sides... and in short order we'd developed an actual communication system. Whenever there was a big jump to make, we'd do a big beakon sound effect to signal time to jump. We managed to syncronize so that we could fly by hitting the button in rythmn and staying in the air indefinitely. Found *many* of the runes and explored. Whenever one of us got left behind, the other waited for them, or backtracked.

Right before the cave with the giant monsters, the other player started pinging rapidly to warn me to hold still. I already knew the big monsters were coming, but he was warning all the same. We set up a sneaky dodge path around the big monster enemies, did warning shouts when danger was coming, kept pinging to lead the other when seperated, were able to do synchronized flying and did little blurts of joy after the hard stuff... kept waiting for the other at spots... when we found a rune we'd rapidly make the signal noise in excitement and celebration.

After getting lost int he tower I waited in the center for them... and then later near the end when I got blasted by a dragon, they waited and pinged for me nonstop so I could find their location. And most tellingly, near the very end, the wind knocked me off the mountain... half a second later they jumped off and followed me, NO hesitation! Then the final final area where its real easy to get lost or carried away, still waited and looked for the other and managed to make it to the exit synchronized. .

The whole thing took about three hours, when my playthrough yesterday, the first time, only took about two!

All that... and it was a total stranger! Who could only communicate with short beeps and a long beep. And, *after* the game was done, I was sent a friend request. And the thing is... I was about to do the same thing! Amazing sensation, possibly one of the greatest moments I've ever had in gaming.

And... there's no way to recreate it. You can't pick partners so I can't just go in with that person again, or one of my other friends that I know well. And even if I find another really good partner in a later playthrough some day, it won't be this crazy experience. I don't know that I *can* do a straight run through of the game again after that. Except maybe I'll be the experienced one and guide someone else through the problems!

It was just really amazing. Nothing like it.

And I have to imagine a lot of people are going to have similar experiences with this game. Its amazing.
    Last edited by Robby; March 9th, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

It's 00:22 in germany (europe release is 14th) :/ and the download is still limited to ps+ members.

It's been a long time since I've been this hyped about a game, journey just strikes me as a game that shows people that games don't have to be only fun but can provide other incredible experiences instead.

I just met someone in a white robe and the best thing about it he helped me through the whole journey getting different trophies and the white rope itself.
    It's amazing how connected you can feel to someone even without precise communication methods.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I just met someone in a white robe and the best thing about it he helped me through the whole journey getting different trophies and the white rope itself.
    It's amazing how connected you can feel to someone even without precise communication methods.
    I considered playing the game again after it mass released, and showing a newbie through the game in my own white clad glory... but I can't help but think having someone else that's mastered the game show you *everything* would just take away from the experience.

Playing alongside someone else who has only been through once or twice, about at your level, who is also exploring and discovering, but might know one or two things you don't (and you a couple things they don't) seems like it would be the best experience (and its the one I had my second go through.)

But yeah, the communication is pretty amazing.

I saw this thread name and instantly thought it would be about the band. Now I have stopped believing.

While I'm here, I remember seeing the trailer for this a while back and being intrigued. Like one of the many other 'wandering' games, but it actually works. One more reason to finally buy that PS3. It may take until the summer to play this, but it will definitely stick in mind.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    I considered playing the game again after it mass released, and showing a newbie through the game in my own white clad glory... but I can't help but think having someone else that's mastered the game show you *everything* would just take away from the experience.

Playing alongside someone else who has only been through once or twice, about at your level, who is also exploring and discovering, but might know one or two things you don't (and you a couple things they don't) seems like it would be the best experience (and its the one I had my second go through.)

But yeah, the communication is pretty amazing.
    I agree it was mostly great because it was my third walkthrough and I didn't bother with any guides it was very surprising to see a white wanderer. The first time was really amazing though because I was alone(well the ones I've met were loners and would try to get away from me) until the underground part but then I met someone who stuck with me to the end and oh god the sense of companionship after the last scene is really something else.

One thing thats kind of neat
    Spoiler:
    is that your robes change a little each time you beat it and get more ornate. So you can tell at a glance how experienced someone is at the game. Helpful for picking out a partner I suppose.

And the white robes aren't just for show... they get longer default scarves, and auto regenerate their jump energy. Its actually a really good reward for earning them.

It also really changes the experience just had a white robed partner walkthrough and it's really dancing in the air :).

Got mah white robe. Oh yeah.

Some thoughts on Journey:

-it's interesting that it comes very close to telling the same story as Flower. Except, you know, with people instead of flowers.
    -it's strange how you can get that sense of loss when you accidentally lose a partner. In my first playthrough, I thought I was leading my partner to another rune when he/she had moved on to the next objective. More upset than I reasonably should have been.
    -I actually fall into a category I was not expecting with this game, namely, I have great difficulties in playing with strangers. I get uncomfortable when I can't tell if I'm leading a person to runes that he/she is not interested in or if he/she would rather explore on their own rather than have their hand held. And I feel bad about this because this is exactly what Jenova Chen and thatgamecompany were trying to avoid with this system.

Overall, I actually enjoyed Flower more. Perhaps it was the aesthetic, perhaps it was the soundtrack (both games have an excellent soundtrack regardless), or perhaps it was just the fact that I never felt guilty for leaving the controller on the ground and looking at the sights for a bit. But Journey didn't quite click with me like I expected it to. It's a fantastic game, and I feel no regrets for looking forward to it since the day they announced it, but it just hasn't worked for me like I expected it to.

Just finished my first time through. At first I wasn't sure about it. But once I found someone to play with I realy got into it in the second half.

Too bad we couldn't finish our quest since I had to go out. It was the last 5 minutes too ;-;
    Winner of Arlong Park's 2011 Member Award: Most Perverted Member.

I've made it my mission to show this game to as many friends as possible even if they don't game, I've shown it to 4 so far and the response to it is really interesting and has been entirely positive.

2 of them were gamers by heart, the consensus was that it's just a very interesting experience. Also they both played through it fairly fast and preferred to go through the first playthrough by themselves (unlike me).

Now the other 2 were female friends of mine that aren't that into gaming but they felt enthusiastic about it (well at least if I can believe what they were saying ;P). Most of all they commented on how pretty it was, they liked that there was no pressure whatsoever while playing it. And they liked the aspect of choosing to travel with someone else. On the other hand they wished for more interacting option and felt like that movement and chirping where not sufficient enough.
    They also share the sentiment that it doesn't really feel like a "game".

None of them felt the need though for another playthrough at least right after it (even when I told them about the white robe).

Just beat it oncr.

nothing to say but

love

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information