+ Reply to Thread
Page 455 of 459 FirstFirst ... 355 405 445 453 454 455 456 457 ... LastLast
Results 9,081 to 9,100 of 9171

Thread: General Fire Emblem Thread - Oh No! I'm Late for the Brigand Exam!

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Default Re: General Fire Emblem Thread - Oh No! I'm Late for the Brigand Exam!

A question for any longtime FE fan who is ok with answering: Is Three Houses a good first game for someone who has never played the series before? Or is there a certain FE that's better to start with? Also, what exactly is the main draw to the series? (like how Mario is associated with pure platforming fun, Zelda with puzzles and exploration, etc). Like, is the series known for the permadeath feature, really solid turn based combat, consistently good storytelling, all of the above, something else entirely?

I think this game is pretty good regardless of previous experience. In part because a lot of mechanics that are staples of the series are a bit more approachable than before.
    That said, there is still that level of JRPG complexity where there can be a lot of mechanics which can be overwhelming, but the game is very lenient in normal mode that you can just experiment and figure things out at your pace, or even completely ignore some.

Fire Emblem wise, part of the fun for me is the turn-based strategy, the other part the fun of raising your favorite units throughout the game and seeing their development. That latter one is where I think the series tends to excel in the most, and this game in particular is super good about putting focus on it.
    I generally think the stories in FE are not what make the games, but they’re normally enjoyable at the least. There is drama and tragedy and “power of friendship” type of things, and in the better ones the political drama gets pretty intense; but honestly, to me it is still most fun in terms of character development and seeing the heroes grow in response to the conflict around them. Since, ultimately, after raising units I wind up caring more about them than about the overall continent or country or w.e.

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    I think this game is pretty good regardless of previous experience. In part because a lot of mechanics that are staples of the series are a bit more approachable than before.
    Thanks a bunch for the response, this part is mainly what I wanted to hear about.

That said, there is still that level of JRPG complexity where there can be a lot of mechanics which can be overwhelming, but the game is very lenient in normal mode that you can just experiment and figure things out at your pace, or even completely ignore some.
    Well, I've given up countless hours to the likes of Xenoblade X and Persona 5, so I'm no stranger to JRPG complexity

Fire Emblem wise, part of the fun for me is the turn-based strategy, the other part the fun of raising your favorite units throughout the game and seeing their development. That latter one is where I think the series tends to excel in the most, and this game in particular is super good about putting focus on it.
    I generally think the stories in FE are not what make the games, but they’re normally enjoyable at the least. There is drama and tragedy and “power of friendship” type of things, and in the better ones the political drama gets pretty intense; but honestly, to me it is still most fun in terms of character development and seeing the heroes grow in response to the conflict around them. Since, ultimately, after raising units I wind up caring more about them than about the overall continent or country or w.e.
    Ah, gotcha. That does sound pretty engaging.

Chiming in with Noqanky, the thing that separates Fire Emblem from similar games like XCOM and Advanced Wars is that every single one of your units is a defined character with their own personality and backstory. The investment you out into each unique character you use is enough to make a majority of series fans restart the battle whenever someone dies in battle. That, plus a core rock-paper-scissors battle mechanic and a light helping of anime tropes, are kind of the defining characteristics the series imo.

Can't speak to Three Houses because I don't have it (sob), but Awakening for 3DS is an excellent more modern entry point while Path of Radiance for GameCube or Fire Emblem or Sacred Stones for GBA are the consensus picks for best older entries released in the West.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    A question for any longtime FE fan who is ok with answering: Is Three Houses a good first game for someone who has never played the series before? Or is there a certain FE that's better to start with? Also, what exactly is the main draw to the series? (like how Mario is associated with pure platforming fun, Zelda with puzzles and exploration, etc). Like, is the series known for the permadeath feature, really solid turn based combat, consistently good storytelling, all of the above, something else entirely?
    3H is definitely a great starting point, as it is more modern than the older entries but severely watered-down the "too anime" date-simulator features that were gaining traction in the other late entries. The only problem I see with it is the Divine Pulse, a feature that allows you to erase any wrong move you make in a battle, neutralizing the game difficulty and the "perma death" effect that is so much at the core of a Fire Emblem experience.

If you have the willpower to forgo an incredibly convenient feature that will remove any frustration you could get from fucking things up, go with 3H without a second thought. If not, I would advise you to start with Blazing Blade or Path of Radiance to get the full FE experience.

Well I'm finally on the Golden Deer route. Blue Lions was a superb character-driven story.

And here I am still chuggin' along on the Black Eagles route. And thank you Lysithea for greatly weakening after I went to the trouble of sparing you.

Honestly, I like the addition of the divine pulse.

I’m still planning just as carefully and doing the same I do in every game, but it’s nice knowing that in the off-chance an enemy crits one of my units I don’t have to restart the entire chapter and can instead go back to try an alternate strategy.

You also do not get enough divine pulses to completely trivialize the game, so you still have to plan carefully as you cannot undo all mistakes.

Thus far, I've only had one unit die (Alois) when he was critted by a War Master. Aside from that, I think I've used the Divine Pulse one or two other times when I realized I had put my units in a bad (i.e. fatal) position. So yeah, I'm cool with the Divine Pulse. I mean, if I didn't have it I would just restart the level anyway, so it's nice that I don't lose all that time in an already very long game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    And here I am still chuggin' along on the Black Eagles route. And thank you Lysithea for greatly weakening after I went to the trouble of sparing you.
    ???

We recruited Lysithea fairly early on but she's a monster in combat. Her whole deal is that she's a glass cannon, but she's super strong and learns really useful magic. And you can somewhat patch up her defense too. I think she got +8 def when she passed the Warlock certification, and I'm sure if you wanted you could give her some of the permanent stat boost items.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    ???

We recruited Lysithea fairly early on but she's a monster in combat. Her whole deal is that she's a glass cannon, but she's super strong and learns really useful magic. And you can somewhat patch up her defense too. I think she got +8 def when she passed the Warlock certification, and I'm sure if you wanted you could give her some of the permanent stat boost items.
    Well, I just got and haven't really had a chance to use her. I'm just saying when I fought her on the battlefield her attack was like 56, but now it's, I believe, much lower. But yeah, I know, that's just game logic.

Wish there were more master classes.

Also mounted and flying untis are broken

Holy shit this game is long.
    I'm running silver snow(chpt 17) and crimson flower(chpt 11) on parallel because you know reasons.
    I really don't want to do a new game+ all the way to crimson branching point and to be honest on classic and hard matches take so long(even free ones) because I try to raise everyone.
    Am I playing this correctly or is everyone just running a main squad of the overpowered party?
    Also Lysithea is broken but
    Bernie and Shamir with dex build? Nothing they can't one shot.

Also to the guy above if you read this, I highly recommend Echoes.
    But don't ever start with Fates.
    The only other series similar to FE is Valkyria Chronicles in terms of everything except that it's just FE with guns and tanks instead of unicorns and swords.

FINALLY got my game and got things going. Choosing Golden Deer because the other two are a bit too snobbish. And Claude is cute.

That said, I did grin when looking at the place names Leicester and Gloucester. Being from New England, those are names you learn to pronounce early. How many of you guys knew how to pronounce them?

135 hours later and finally finished it!

Comments with obvious Verdant Wind (Golden Deer) spoilers
    Spoiler:
    First things first: WE DON'T GET TO SEE HILDA'S BROTHER??? I can't help but think all that hype that always led to "by the way, he is not coming, he is sick" was on purpose. Still hope we'll get to see the guy on one of the DLC.

Talking about Holst, kinda sad the game has no post-timeskip units. And not only him,: Nader and, mainly, Judith not being recruitable makes no sense.

Anyways, although I initially intended to have Byleth end up with Dorothea, as the game advanced I felt bad for stucking one of the kids with this souless emotionless void person, so I ended up picking Sothis for my S-support (and I couldn't complain, I really like the idea of Byleth with the ring on her own finger, married with "herself". I just wish their S-dialogue felt less like "romantic love" and more like a weird mix of intimacy from both being one).

By the way, even though I had no intention of doing it at first, somehow I managed to max all the available supports I had. Only ones I missing was Annette/Ingrid (had to start pre-timeskip), Byleth/Rhea (same) Petra/Caspar A-level (don't know when is the limit for this one, but definitely before the last month).
    Weird thing is that I saw people mentioning how the character endings never go as you want when you don't focus on a single A-support, but still somehow I managed to get all paired endings I wanted with one exception: Leonie/Felix.
    Leonie ended up being the only character without a paired ending for me and Felix went with Dorothea. Had I married Dorothea as originally intended, maybe everything would have gone as planned.

Anyways, the other pairs I got and I was hoping for were Claude/Petra, Lorenz/Hilda, Ignatz/Marianne, Lysithea/Cyril, Raphael/Bernadetta, Ingrid/Sylvain, Manuela/Hanneman.
    The others I got I didn't mind how would pair up: Linhardt/Caspar, Mercedes/Alois, Catherine/Shamir, Seteth/Flayn, Annette/Ashe.

And the game doesn't tell you what happened with Rhea...?

As for characters, unsurprisingly the GD were my favorites, but I think that's an expected effect of all the small events where the characters from the picked house are shown a bit more, so I probably won't be able to tell for sure until I play the other routes (and that will take a while to happen).
    Still, at least based on this first playthrough, Lorenz and Marianne are definitely my favorites. Cyril for favorite non-GD character, Caspar for favorite "other houses".
    Least favorites... Blue Lions characters in general didn't worked for me but Annette and Ashe are definitely at the very bottom of the list.

Too late to elaborate more on the game, but I really liked it, Brawlers are absurdly broken, and IS definitely impressed me by letting go of such a profitable format (the date simulator + babies) and going back from the Pokémon format used in Fates and actually delivered us the three versions in just one game... [Commend].
    Last edited by .access timeco.; August 28th, 2019 at 09:20 PM.

Finished Blue Lions route
    Spoiler:
    Man the majority of my units got speed screwed with the exception of Petra and Felix, Ingrid(only after going falcon knight) and Sylvain eventually "catch up" on the later maps, my Byleth was so bad with speed until he got he the pope class (and two or three speedwings lol) he became a great jagen because of that lol.Only my Dimitri didn't gave a shit about being speed screwed because he one-shot evrthing that wasn't a monster lol.

I want to believe too big guy
    3ds code friend:0404-6254-1866
    new "new"3ds code friend:0791-4253-7110 (monster hunter)

Finally finished my Black Eagles run and get to share thoughts about the game overall. Essay time!

Spoiler:

It's weird that the run felt short overall with only 18 chapters, but time-wise I probably spent more on this first run than I have in the first run of any other FE game. Probably props to the hyper-engaging monastery sections, those are without a doubt the reason this game lasted so long.

Story-wise though, I still feel like so much is left unanswered, and I'm unsure if that is because I will learn about those things in other houses or they're saving content for DLC/sequel. In this path, it was actually surprisingly vague on things like who those creepy people were (solon, kronya, etc.) and super important things like WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DEATH KNIGHT. I seriously wanted to recruit that boy since I saw him and one of the most random moments in the game was when I first went with Edelgard and he just randomly appears as an ally.

Other story comments:
    - Compared to something like Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, the campaign in the second-half felt super fucking fast. Like, it was pretty much two chapters to fuck the Alliance entirely, two chapters to completely take over the Kingdom, and a loose couple to drive Rhea further into madness and destroy her. Makes me wonder what the shit people were doing while I was in a coma for 5 years that somehow kept them at a 5-year stalemate. I know I'm smart but I can't be that fucking smart to instantly solve a 5-year war.
    - I actually called Edelgard being the Flame Emperor shortly after being unable to use her in that one chapter where you rescue Flayn. But in hindsight, what makes no sense is that bit with the flame emperor recruiting the bandit early on to "kill" the students. Why the shit would Edelgard hire someone to essentially kill herself? Also the way she revealed herself in that one chapter was super dickish and made me consider not supporting her... up until Rhea decides to one-up her in being a crazy bitch, and from then on I did not look back. I still imagine there's probably a reason why Arundel and those evil fuckers want to help me in killing Rhea, so I was probably on the wrong side somehow, but fuck you Rhea. I'm cool with my path. To the point I feel weird seeing other paths where people pick the other two houses. Just feels wrong to me.

In part thanks to being able to spend so much time in the monastery and keeping myself educated as I went along, I was able to recruit almost every single unit. Every unit if I remove both impossible ones (Claude, Dimitri, Dedue) and completely unlikable ones (Lorenz, the churchies)... and I honestly don't recall if Hilda was unrecruitable because it didn't matter, I disliked her so much from the beginning that I never cared to know.
    Also, to the credit of the churchies (Catherine, Cyrill, Gilbert, Seteth, Flayn), they're actually not completely unlikable. I just know not to care for them much given where their loyalty lies. Shame for Catherine and Cyrill in particular, I do think they're chill. Seteth also grew on me.

In any case, impressions on units:
    - There are a bunch units I like just ok so never had the chance to use: Felix, Raphael, Ignatz, Annette, Marianne, Mercedes all fit in this category. I used Mercedes a bit as an adjutant and same for Annette sometimes. Ignatz got a couple of crits in his paralogue too. Everyone else I just had no time for.
    - There were a handful of units I used in early-game and quickly replaced: Ferdinand, Linhardt, and Sylvain. Linhardt kept critting everyone with Wind and was a solid healer; had it not been for the high amount of actually broken magic units, I would have considered keeping him around. He was also likable; Ferdinand and Sylvain were not as likable to me.

My core party at the end wound up being:
    - Edelgard: awesome from beginning to end, constant doubles and crits. I made her a Wyvern Rider and Wyvern Lord instead of using her default class to give my army more mobility, and it helped tremendously. Super good unit, and I came super close to marrying her, but ultimately didn't since someone else convinced me.
    - Dorothea: I thought she'd be the Camilla of this game, but instead she turned out to be one of the best units by far, and her supports were soooo adorable I just had to go S with her. I had her on the Gremory path until I learned the Dancer class has magic, and I'm fairly sure that Dancer is probably her canon class because it just fits her perfectly. She was capable to hit hard until the end, gave her a Lemon sword for fun as well, and since she had physic and meteor she also wound up being a fantastic long-distance support. Extremely useful unit.
    - Hubert: also a complete monster. I kind of actually like this guy, his personality is amusing and I appreciate his personality highlighting his intellect. I wanted him to be Dark Knight but he got stuck on Dark Bishop as he never got around to mastering that class. Which, honestly, was not a problem at all given he could pretty much one-shot anything.
    - Petra: excellent character, personality-wise and in combat. The game obviously wanted me to make her a falconknight but I knew from the beginning she would be swordmaster. And she was! At least until I pushed her into the Mortal Savant class just for kicks. None of it mattered really, she rocked any sword class and was a constant crit machine. Probably one of the best characters in the game, imo.
    - Bernadetta: Had her as a default archer early on with the plan of replacing her with Shamir, but she does so well on her own that I just kept training her anyway. I think she actually wound up stronger than Shamir, though Shamir won the fight when it comes to Dex. and crit potential. I had her go Bow Knight and it fits her perfectly. Still, she usually took turns with Shamir whenever the unit count was 10 or lower.
    - Caspar: Another unit I kept around until I began having difficulty with the 10 unit limit, at which time he got benched. But, I kept training him anyway along with the rest and sending him out when other units got too high, and he did not disappoint. As Brawler/Grappler/War Master he was constantly getting crits and wrecking anyone. Took a lot of hits though, and I will say some of his supports make him look like an idiot. He does look so much better after the timeskip.
    - Shamir: I talked about her above, but basically the second I saw her I wanted her. Sick character design, she is so cool, and her personality keeps up with it. Would have been potential S rank if she were bi, but alas, it was not to be.
    - Ashe: the first unit I recruited because I like his personality. I took him down the Thief/Assassin path and as a result he was constantly useful. I also gave him killer weapons just because and that in itself made him useful. I will say though, that if I didn't like the character so much he might have actually been one of the weaker links, since his level ups were so low constantly that by the end I had to pump him with items to get his strength to a respectable number. It also didn't help him that in the pursuit of chests and doors he often wound up unable to engage as much as other units, and the stealth passive also meant he wasn't getting focused too hard by enemies. Still, he was doing work nonetheless and I would use him again.
    - Leonie: another unit I wanted to recruit immediately, and once I did I was not disappointed. Leonie actually turned out to be exactly what I want in a lance unit: essentially a swordmaster, but with a Lance. This girl was CONSTANTLY landing crits, and even when she was a cavalier or paladin it was fun dismounting her, putting her in the middle of the field and watch her go Halberdier all over the field. Also, easily one of the best timeskip designs, and like Shamir another instance of a character I would have considered for S rank if she were an option for girl Byleth. She went from likable unit to one of my outright favorites, and I also assume her to be objectively one of the best units in the game.
    - Lysithea: talk about best units in the game. Lysithea is another character whose personality I appreciated early on and she was one of the three I instantly wanted to recruit (Ashe, Leonie and Lysithea were those three). Like, magic is broken as it is in this game, but Lysithea took that broken to a new level: this girl was doing like 200 fucking damage thanks to stupidly high magic combined with constantly landing crits. If I understand endgame stats correctly, I think she had the highest ratio of fights to victories, meaning that for every engagement she had, over 90% of those resulting in her landing the kill. Easy pick for Gremory, the class is basically made for her. Her defense was super trash, admittedly, but then she got that ability where she automatically healed at the beginning of every turn that it just outright didn't matter, assuming I didn't place her stupidly.
    - Ingrid: rounding out the team, I recruited Ingrid with the desire to have a Falcon Knight to round out the team, and also to allow me to replace the Ferdinand/Sylvain duo with the much cooler Leonie/Ingrid combo. She was also excellent in her role, and while she didn't reach the levels of absurdity of Leonie in terms of crits, she still constantly landed them and often felt vital to the team. Personality-wise, she was also a super-likable character, even if she does wind up being a bit vanilla when compared to so many remarkable units.

And of course, Byleth was there too. I went basic with it, doing soldier up until Leonie joined in, then I moved towards the sword path (myrmidon, mercenary, swordmaster) and concluding with the Enlightened One where I was running silver sword, silver gauntlets and faith. I will say, the moment where you go from regular blue hair to being an actual goddess was hype and I was riding the high of being part goddess for a couple in-game weeks. I did like that I regained Blue hair at the end of this run (looks better, imo), though I question how other runs work in keeping the green hair and what circumstances allow you to support Sothis. I guess I'll find out eventually!

Stray thoughts:
    - I'm highly disappointed I never got to kill Lorenz.
    - There is so much potential for story in this continent that it pisses me off to see so little of it reached. I want to know more about Dagda and Almyra. Also I got no clear explanation on what happened at the Red Canyon, or the deal with Sothis... christ man, I want MORE. Curious to see how much other paths actually answer.
    - I also kind of dislike that paralogues reused maps from the chapters, especially when I got to an in-game chapter and realized it was the same map as a paralogue I had just done.
    - I almost completely ignored batallions and combat arts outside of very fringe scenarios. Probably a luxury of doing normal.
    - Why is there a sauna if I cannot use it? I thought for sure I could use it once I got S with someone, but noooooope.

Huh. Three in a row, each one a different house.

I'm only a few hours in, but I'm already thinking about going back to my save and doing Blue Lions instead of Golden Deer. It's tempting to go with the bad boy . . . .

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information