+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 558

Thread: Chapter 665: "Candy"

  1. #181
    of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Law of the sea View Post
    I thought the non Kuma ones were made from dead body's.
    That's what it says on the wiki, not sure if 100% accurate though.

  2. #182

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Seems Brooks's sword was unsheathed, could be Ob.haki that he saw something approaching or he just had good reflexes idk. Thoughts?

  3. #183

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    That's what it says on the wiki, not sure if 100% accurate though.
    I am sure it said it in the SA arc or the Whitebeard war i remembering reading it also if they were living humans they would not look like Kuma.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo11 View Post
    Seems Brooks's sword was unsheathed, could be Ob.haki that he saw something approaching or he just had good reflexes idk. Thoughts?
    Zoro and Namji were talking to each other not paying attention while Brook was paying attention.

  4. #184

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    But Vegapunk did destroy Kuma's humanity when he completed the PX alterations, inclindign the mind destroying his personality. That is pretty messed up as well.

    Edit= it does not matter if Kuma"volunteered" for remodeling. It is unethical to destry someone' personality and their humanity.
    Hey, don't go thinking that the ethics of the world of One Piece are the same as ours. After all, they have a government that's not above killing pregnant women to prevent a future "evil".

    Ethics are something that evolve with time. There are many things in our time that have existed for years or even centuries, but became controversial only recently. Plus, I doubt the average citizen of One Piece is conscious enough to protest about the implications created by the Pacifistas, especially when they're just there to protect them from criminals.

  5. #185
    of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Hey, don't go thinking that the ethics of the world of One Piece are the same as ours. After all, they have a government that's not above killing pregnant women to prevent a future "evil".

    Ethics are something that evolve with time. There are many things in our time that have existed for years or even centuries, but became controversial only recently. Plus, I doubt the average citizen of One Piece is conscious enough to protest about the implications created by the Pacifistas, especially when they're just there to protect them from criminals.
    And that's one reason why a lot of people--including myself--see the World Government as the 'evil faction' of One Piece; because REAL people believe it's ethically wrong. Having people, like Akainu, in high places of power doesn't help 'the cause' either. (Oda probably wants people to perceive it that way as well).

  6. #186

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    And that's one reason why a lot of people--including myself--see the World Government as the 'evil faction' of One Piece; because REAL people believe it's ethically wrong. Having people, like Akainu, in high places of power doesn't help 'the cause' either. (Oda probably wants people to perceive it that way as well).
    Well, the point is that the creation of the Pacifistas, from an in-universe perspective of an average citizen, is actually a good thing because they're used to terminate pirates and other criminals. Nobody really cares about the unfortunate implications surrounding the Pacifistas.

  7. #187
    The Flying Blue Cat Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Hey, don't go thinking that the ethics of the world of One Piece are the same as ours. After all, they have a government that's not above killing pregnant women to prevent a future "evil".
    I do not think its same, and agree it changes with time and culture.

    We have in deed seen some hints of ethics in the OP, from the reactions of the pirates that mentioned VEgapunk's experiments and Chopper's debate with Hogback and even little things like Nami's shock of hearing of slaves on sale the first time at SA. She even said that slavery was outlawed

    Ethics are something that evolve with time. There are many things in our time that have existed for years or even centuries, but became controversial only recently. Plus, I doubt the average citizen of One Piece is conscious enough to protest about the implications created by the Pacifistas, especially when they're just there to protect them from criminals.
    I think you misunderstand where I am comming from, or I may be misunderestand what you are trying to say. I am not talking about rationalizing the storyline, or about how the charaters in the story should feel.

    I am talking as a fan to other fans.

    Some fans try to ignore what a character did, thinking if that is wrong we can't like him so lets explain it away. Now not everyone is like that but some are. I think we can enjoy a character who has a bad rep without trying to take something away even if its questionable to the reader
    Rules of AP Forum=
    1. Doflamingo is behind everything.
    2. Because Haki is everything and anything. (credits to Shadowgreed)
    3. Everyone is a D.

  8. #188

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Heck, Luffy himself is not an evil dude at all, but the fact that he acknowledges himself as a pirate (i. e. criminal) means that he's breaking the law. Is breaking laws an ethically correct thing to do?

  9. #189

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    It would interesting to find out if the harpy girl was a member of Law's crew because he had two years to get new members before she got changed but she was most likely on the island before he came however he might take her with him as a member if he has to leave the island because of the Strawhat's beating CC.

  10. #190

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    People need to calm down over Zoro, Sanji, and Brook being defeated. They weren't injured, not even scratched, Nami sent Zoro w/ Sanji to keep Sanji arguing to prevent Sanji/Nami from looking at Nami's body. Even without knowing 100%, it's obvious Zoro and Sanji were arguing because they can't stand each other and were no paying attention regardless if they have CoO haki. Brook's gag is he gets scared despite being a skeleton so he probably did the same thing he did when he first saw Kizaru, freeze and get scared.

    On a sidenote, Anyone else thinking that the guy Caribou mentioned telling about Poseidon is the same guy CC got permission to kill G5 & SHs from?

  11. #191

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKid View Post
    On a sidenote, Anyone else thinking that the guy Caribou mentioned telling about Poseidon is the same guy CC got permission to kill G5 & SHs from?
    A marine-killing rookie from Paradise looking to suck up to a marine from the New World? Sounds plausible, all right...
    3DS FC: 3282-3147-1316
    NNID: Mugen_Metroid


  12. #192
    of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Heck, Luffy himself is not an evil dude at all, but the fact that he acknowledges himself as a pirate (i. e. criminal) means that he's breaking the law. Is breaking laws an ethically correct thing to do?
    It is if your government is a borderline dictatorship.

  13. #193

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKid View Post
    People need to calm down over Zoro, Sanji, and Brook being defeated. They weren't injured, not even scratched, Nami sent Zoro w/ Sanji to keep Sanji arguing to prevent Sanji/Nami from looking at Nami's body. Even without knowing 100%, it's obvious Zoro and Sanji were arguing because they can't stand each other and were no paying attention regardless if they have CoO haki. Brook's gag is he gets scared despite being a skeleton so he probably did the same thing he did when he first saw Kizaru, freeze and get scared.

    On a sidenote, Anyone else thinking that the guy Caribou mentioned telling about Poseidon is the same guy CC got permission to kill G5 & SHs from?
    Nope, the same warlord that recruited Bellamy did.

  14. #194

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Heck, Luffy himself is not an evil dude at all, but the fact that he acknowledges himself as a pirate (i. e. criminal) means that he's breaking the law. Is breaking laws an ethically correct thing to do?
    That entirely depends on what law you're breaking, and who writes and enforces them. In the case of Luffy, and generally speaking the whole One Piece Universe, the act of setting out as a pirate in and of itself, and in the process of such an act rejecting The World Government, is not unethical.

  15. #195

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    And that's one reason why a lot of people--including myself--see the World Government as the 'evil faction' of One Piece; because REAL people believe it's ethically wrong. Having people, like Akainu, in high places of power doesn't help 'the cause' either. (Oda probably wants people to perceive it that way as well).
    How I feel is that the SH World is sorta like that old Ben Franklin quote, "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither and will lose both". People were so afraid during the time of the Void Century that they surrendered themselves to a One World Government. Pretty telling that the Celestial Dragons are considered so highly because they're descendants of the people who created the Government, and I think the woman shown said that they're "descendants of the saviors of the world." This fear of course is kept alive still by pirates, which is why Pacifistas would most likely be deemed necessary by the public at large.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strawhat Chan View Post
    Whether you like it or not, it seems pretty obvious now what Oda is trying to do with Caesar's character, even if we disregard the whole Punk Hazard referrencing to 731.

    There's no problem with the referrences, anyhow. It's not like children are aware of it, it's for the more adult audience that reads the manga and will understand them.
    On the Wikipedia page for Unit 731 I found this pretty telling:

    "In addition, poisoned food and candies were given out to unsuspecting victims and children, and the results examined."

  16. #196

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Anyone else think that having a duo known as the "Yeti brothers" is a really bad sign for this arc?

    I seem to remember another fun, interesting arc see its pacing disrupted by this very same thing:

    Spoiler:


    *Shudders*
    Spoiler:

    How can you say no to that beautiful face?! Vote for Elder Nyon in the 2011 AP Tournament!!!

  17. #197

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Calchexas View Post
    Anyone else think that having a duo known as the "Yeti brothers" is a really bad sign for this arc?

    I seem to remember another fun, interesting arc see its pacing disrupted by this very same thing:



    *Shudders*
    ??????

    I've never heard anyone ever complain about the Nyanban brothers before. I can't see why anyone would. Even if they were an issue, i don't get what you're saying. Is there something wrong with brothers/twins/a duo?

  18. #198

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Great chapter. It just keeps adding things to paint Caesar as a villain but the kids on drugs and Chopper getting angry are really nice touchs.

    And about Mecha Magellan, I thought his horns were just an ornament. I mean, he plucked them off in the battle against Luffy, couldn't he get some new ones?

  19. #199
    Soy un Perdedor Czechmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    wheelchairs

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Calchexas View Post
    Anyone else think that having a duo known as the "Yeti brothers" is a really bad sign for this arc?

    I seem to remember another fun, interesting arc see its pacing disrupted by this very same thing:



    *Shudders*
    Umm.

    No.

    No one else thinks that.

  20. #200
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Squawk

    Default Re: Chapter 665: "Candy"

    About the Pacifistas, they bleed red blood, so I doubt they're actually "dead" in the physical sense.

    They're certainly cyborgs, but the Straw Hats never figured out why they all look like Kuma. Franky thought the first PX-4 could just be a twin or a "super lookalike", but that's clearly not the case anymore. He says "there's no way you can create a human being", but it seems like Vegapunk has done just that, using Kuma's genetic material. After the timeskip, Sentomaru refers to PX-5 and PX-7 as "outdated models", so Vegapunk has probably made Pacifistas that look like other people besides Kuma, by this time.
    Last edited by TheCrystalShip; April 28th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts