+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 135

Thread: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

  1. #41
    The Moustache Bandit Nolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the moustachy shadows~

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by ARC-1300 View Post
    Oh I love to compare them as well,heck I'm like usually there with the tankoban in my hands as watching it. (But mostly on my 2nd watch through)

    What gets me though is the people who cry "RUINED FOREVAR!!",over the slightest change.

    Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
    Heh, there's always a solution for those who might think that:

    Read the manga :D That's the original stuff after all. The anime is just an extra in my opinion.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    I am not whining or anything, I just find it sort of interesting to see the things that have been changed.
    I forgot about the foam coming out of the mouth for haki.

    It is kind of weird what gets censored and what doesn't though.
    The scene where Luffy and Zoro allow themselves to get beat up in the bar seemed just as bloody and brutal in the anime
    as it did in the manga, yet they censor out the cooks pointing guns at Sanji in the Baratie arc?

  3. #43

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    The latest bit of censorship was Hody's rampage on the fleeing "crab claw" pirate ship. Much of his shark-biting and otherwise slaughter was shortened and toned down heavily after Hody boarded the ship.


  4. #44
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Yeah censorship has gotten tighter for anime in recent years, don't know exactly why. But whatever, nothing detrimental has come out of the toning down of "One Piece".

  5. #45
    Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Out there

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    The lack of mouth foaming strikes me as less censorship and more of a deliberate stylistic decision (like Luffy's skin turning shiny and flush when he does Gear Second). I don't really mind that, to be honest. It let Coby keep a little bit more of his dignity during Marineford.
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  6. #46

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCook View Post
    I am not whining or anything, I just find it sort of interesting to see the things that have been changed.
    I forgot about the foam coming out of the mouth for haki.

    It is kind of weird what gets censored and what doesn't though.
    The scene where Luffy and Zoro allow themselves to get beat up in the bar seemed just as bloody and brutal in the anime
    as it did in the manga, yet they censor out the cooks pointing guns at Sanji in the Baratie arc?
    Baratie was in season one. Until the Arlong Arc, One Piece's anime was heavily censored. Remember things such as what you mentioned, and of course Zeff eating his own leg in the manga while it got cut off underwater in the anime. It really changes the tone, honestly. Far more brutal in the manga, even if the anime version was still brutal enough.

    As for the foaming at the mouth thing, interestingly enough it was left in earlier episodes.

  7. #47
    The Flying Blue Cat Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    Yeah censorship has gotten tighter for anime in recent years, don't know exactly why. But whatever, nothing detrimental has come out of the toning down of "One Piece".
    In my view, its a side effect of becoming more mainstream than it used to be. Even back in the 70/80s if an anime was shown on TV then it recieved a lot alterations from censoring to "Americaniztion" (ranging from changing names of people & thhings to English, altering other stuff like rice balls ect). When on cable, there was a smaller alteration then if on 'public tv' since censorship wasn't as bad but still had some.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    The lack of mouth foaming strikes me as less censorship and more of a deliberate stylistic decision (like Luffy's skin turning shiny and flush when he does Gear Second). I don't really mind that, to be honest. It let Coby keep a little bit more of his dignity during Marineford.
    I see the lack of foaming at the mouth as censorship since the image gives the impressions of (depending on context) madness, rage, an extreme panic attack, ect. Its a common visiual image used by Manga/Anime to show extreme emotions.
    Rules of AP Forum=
    1. Doflamingo is behind everything.
    2. Because Haki is everything and anything. (credits to Shadowgreed)
    3. Everyone is a D.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Surprised no one's mentioned this huge one, but Whitebeard's flag used to be a Manji with Whitebeard's face in the center (as shown by Ace's tattoo and later by seeing the flag directly). In the Anime, it was changed to a cross-shape with Whitebeard's face. Later, in the manga, due to the increasing number of European and American readers, Oda changed it into the cross-shape that was used in the Anime.

    There were other manjis removed as well: A guy on Zeff's crew had them on armbands, and there was an Arlong crew member that had one on his stomach.
    Calling it now: Big Mom has the Sui Sui no Mi (Acid Acid Fruit).

  9. #49
    ☜(⌒▽⌒)☞ Akio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Raftel

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    Oh and in the normal version rocks thrown at young Robin are turned into Tomatoes.
    Really? iv watched the whole thing eng sub and tomatoes were still thrown at Robin.... hmm damn i must be watching the censored ones :/

    Oh wait now i get it differences in manga and anime.... =.= how did i not see that? wow
    Last edited by Akio; May 28th, 2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: im an idiot
    Kenpachi Fried Chicken, the taste will blow you away

  10. #50

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by Akio View Post
    Really? iv watched the whole thing eng sub and tomatoes were still thrown at Robin.... hmm damn i must be watching the censored ones :/
    He means that in the Manga rocks were thrown at Robin. In the anime (all dubs and subs) tomatoes were thrown at Robin, instead of Rocks.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    I really wonder what happened in these last years. Just take a look at Toriko's anime, the butchering is ridiculous.

  12. #52
    ☜(⌒▽⌒)☞ Akio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Raftel

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    The lack of mouth foaming strikes me as less censorship and more of a deliberate stylistic decision (like Luffy's skin turning shiny and flush when he does Gear Second). I don't really mind that, to be honest. It let Coby keep a little bit more of his dignity during Marineford.
    I completely agree, though it would be cool if some people had foam coming out of their mouths e.g when Luffy does his Kings Voice thing there are a few people with foam showing that there weaker and more susceptible to luffy's attack.
    Kenpachi Fried Chicken, the taste will blow you away

  13. #53

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by Genocider Syo View Post
    I really wonder what happened in these last years. Just take a look at Toriko's anime, the butchering is ridiculous.
    Where Toriko went over the top was the Tina character. Adding in an extra character who didn't even exist in the normal manga is just ridiculous - completely detracts from any scene she's in.

  14. #54
    Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by Genocider Syo View Post
    I really wonder what happened in these last years. Just take a look at Toriko's anime, the butchering is ridiculous.
    You are preaching to the choir brother.

    I remember being so excited when I learned Toriko was finally getting an anime adaption.
    Then I watched it.....

    I literaly couldn't believe how badly they fucked it up on every level.
    To this day I'm still bitter.

  15. #55
    Vergo Face: Successful! Waboshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mista Smisu no Beddorūmu

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    I thought the foam around the mouths was removed because it may look like the victims where having a epileptic attack?

  16. #56

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by Waboshi View Post
    I thought the foam around the mouths was removed because it may look like the victims where having a epileptic attack?
    It would confuse the anime people into thinking it was haki i agree with that one being changed lol.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by Zp1 View Post
    Where Toriko went over the top was the Tina character. Adding in an extra character who didn't even exist in the normal manga is just ridiculous - completely detracts from any scene she's in.
    Yeah, but that practice isn't really THAT uncommon. In my years being an anime fan I've encountered many original characters that weren't n the manga. Going back as far as Urusei Yatsura (1981) which did use characters (Lum Stormtroopers) that although in the VERY early chapters of the manga they were subsequently dropped, but the anime made them so integrated with the cast there were barely any episodes they weren't in. Even more recently we have Oscar who is an anime original in the new Lupin III. Adding and anime-only character doesn't really butcher the manga if the energy and feel of the manga is still maintained, heck I think the original Yu-gi-Oh did this quite a bit, both series.

    Mind you, only certain series can get away with this and I know One Piece is not one of those shows.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

  18. #58
    Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Inserting new characters in anime adaptions is not a problem, as long as they are part of anime only story arcs. Fillers etc.

    When you start trying to round peg into square hole insert them into canon. The big problems begin.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    Quote Originally Posted by "Fire Fist" Ace View Post
    Surprised no one's mentioned this huge one, but Whitebeard's flag used to be a Manji with Whitebeard's face in the center (as shown by Ace's tattoo and later by seeing the flag directly). In the Anime, it was changed to a cross-shape with Whitebeard's face. Later, in the manga, due to the increasing number of European and American readers, Oda changed it into the cross-shape that was used in the Anime.

    There were other manjis removed as well: A guy on Zeff's crew had them on armbands, and there was an Arlong crew member that had one on his stomach.
    I noticed that too. I had recently learned about the origin of the symbol. But I did find it weird that Ace had a new tattoo later, I hadn't put two and two together for a long time lol.


    I think the main problem with the censoring or why it came about for Toriko and One Piece was the time slot. Toriko had that sweet ova that was super awesomely dark and junk. Too bad it didn't stay that way, but it has gotten better, Tina and all.

    One Piece censoring doesn't really seem as severe to me from manga to anime.

    ~My Harem, S-Rank~



  20. #60
    Yonkou wannabe evilvanessafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Shitting bricks with Pica

    Default Re: Anime Censoring Compared to the Manga

    here's something funny, in the latest episode of hunterxhunter the guy in the wheelchair gets defeated by gon and falls passed out onto the floor with foam on his mouth...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts