+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan's Awesomeness thread

Default Re: Jackie Chan's Awesomeness thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Lion-chan View Post
    I like the direction my thread has taken :)

I'm tempted to watch those movie clips but...ugh spoiling the payoff if I ever get around to watching the full thing.
    They're Jackie Chan films! There's not an emotional buildup/resonance (hell, the ladder fight takes place something like halfway through the movie). I've seen that scene about two dozen times, still awesome every time. And if I watch the movie again, I'll get to the ladder scene and think, "Hooray, one more time!"

Do it. Dooooo it.

Yeah, you can watch Jackie action scenes out of context and then watch them later in the movie, its fine. They hold up to repeat views pretty well, and your memory of them fades a little... but since you know the action and stunts are real, they're always impressive.

Tho Drunken Master 2 is like 75% fights, including a 20 minute one at the end, just watch that one straight through.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Yeah, you can watch Jackie action scenes out of context and then watch them later in the movie, its fine. They hold up to repeat views pretty well, and your memory of them fades a little... but since you know the action and stunts are real, they're always impressive.

Tho Drunken Master 2 is like 75% fights, including a 20 minute one at the end, just watch that one straight through.
    Plus, Jackie Chan fights are so complex and quick-paced that every time you watch one you catch something new.

Gah, you guys convinced me!!!

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I'm in the mood for a Jackie Chan marathon after those clips consisting of all his movies (except his kiddie fare, even Jackie Chan can't make the Tuxedo worth it) :) But man there's a lot to cover...

Also, I'd like to leave a contribution to this thread.

I never get tired of that fight.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

When the both go at Jackie at the same time, it's incredible. It is indeed an incredible fight, even more considering Jackie was far from his prime here. It's insane.

You want a fun fact about this fight? The kicking guy, Ron Smoorenburg, is truly impressive, but he couldn't adapt to Jackie's "rythm"; so, for an important part of their fight (like the exchange starting at 2:37 in the vid), he was doubled by Brad Allan.

Who's Brad Allan, you may ask? Well, he's non other than THIS guy. He's from Jackie Chan's Stunt Team, and he is so adjusted to Jackie's rythm, that he even stunt doubled martial arts LEGEND (and one of my favorite martial arts actors EVER), Donnie Yen, for some of his fight with Jackie Chan in the movie Shanghai Knights.

Edit: Man, I'm starting to sound like an over-enthusiastic wikipedia article.

Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar

I can't remember when exactly I first saw this fight, but it was back when my only exposure to Jackie Chan was through Rush Hour 2 and the cartoon so it left a fair impression on me. Not as complicated or wacky as some of his other stuff, just a good old one-on-one.

I think the guy he's fighting was the kickboxing world champion.
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    When the both go at Jackie at the same time, it's incredible. It is indeed an incredible fight, even more considering Jackie was far from his prime here. It's insane.

You want a fun fact about this fight? The kicking guy, Ron Smoorenburg, is truly impressive, but he couldn't adapt to Jackie's "rythm"; so, for an important part of their fight (like the exchange starting at 2:37 in the vid), he was doubled by Brad Allan.

Who's Brad Allan, you may ask? Well, he's non other than THIS guy. He's from Jackie Chan's Stunt Team, and he is so adjusted to Jackie's rythm, that he even stunt doubled martial arts LEGEND (and one of my favorite martial arts actors EVER), Donnie Yen, for some of his fight with Jackie Chan in the movie Shanghai Knights.

Edit: Man, I'm starting to sound like an over-enthusiastic wikipedia article.
    Dude, real enthusiasm's awesome. I'm just as happy reading your stuff as I am watching the videos.

Legendary Hero Assassiland loneassassin's Avatar
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    I can't remember when exactly I first saw this fight, but it was back when my only exposure to Jackie Chan was through Rush Hour 2 and the cartoon so it left a fair impression on me. Not as complicated or wacky as some of his other stuff, just a good old one-on-one.

I think the guy he's fighting was the kickboxing world champion.
    Wheels on Meals is probably my third favorite movie behind Who Am I and Drunken Master 2, and half the reason why is this fight . Everything was perfect and plus the main song for the movie was used by Mitsuharu Misawa, one of the greatest wrestlers ever.

Also their fight in Dragons Forever was pretty good as well

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

That kick at the 2:59 mark of the Meals on Wheels video is amazing.

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

Oh man was looking for a good Jackie Chan blooper video, as I love his end credit blooper bits, and stumbled on this.

OUCH, not for weak hearts, Jackie's top 10 stunt injuries:
    Hidden:

First time I see this, and I didn't want to post this, but my respect just went through the roof.
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

Now put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Default Re: Jackie Chan's Chinese Zodiac

But Tuxedo, Medallion, Spy Next Door, awful kiddie fare.
    The worst part about all those is they all have some kind of external reason for why Jackie is as awesome as he is. As if "he's just that good" wasn't good enough for the audience.

Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

We agree that most of Jackie Chan's American movies suck, but I must admit, I liked Rush Hour. Partly because the Chinese-American in me loved seeing Chris Tucker fumble with Chinese language/food/culture.

Plus, they've got good bloopers:

Rush Hour was good. Decent chemistry and stunts.

Rush Hour 2 and 3, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    The worst part about all those is they all have some kind of external reason for why Jackie is as awesome as he is. As if "he's just that good" wasn't good enough for the audience.
    Jackie pretending to be James Brown is just... one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.

Oh hey, the thread was renamed into something awesome. When did that happen?
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

I'm going to embarrass myself here: I really enjoyed Shanghai Noon.

And that's the sound of disappearing credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    I'm going to embarrass myself here: I really enjoyed Shanghai Noon.
    Shanghai Noon was fine, had some fun lines in it.

"My name is Chon Wang."
    "John Wayne? "
    "Chon Wang."
    "That's a terrible cowboy name!"

Knights, not so much.

Yeah Shangai noon wasn't good, as for the other movies you guys mentioned, but these don't even compare to how bad the medaillon was. The medaillon is the kind of movie that destroys movie stars in my opinion. Idk but I haven't seen the "meet joe black"-girl, since that movie and the other actors. Jackie was lucky he's a legend that can't be destroyed by now, whatever he makes.

Medallion was a movie that was CLEARLY three different movies edited together. You can tell because the directoral style and composition and lighting change dramatically between scenes, Jackie randomly gets a haircut 14 minutes in, and most tellingly, about half the movie is dubbed, (the parts with his asian wife) and half of it has an english speaking british cast. It also has five writers and two different music composers and two different editors.

I actually bought the dvd (used) hoping the commentary would confirm this and talk about it, because I was fascinated in how that could be the case and what happened, but... they don't talk about it at all. I have to imagine the overseas version of the movie is VERY different. The English cut is at least 20 minutes shorter.

Also, it seems it was originally going to be a Highlander parody (The outtakes show it as "Highbinders".) of some sort. In the end, it just sort of becomes a wannabe version of the cartoon show, with all the impressiveness of the stunts taken away because you know its CG.

Shanghai Noon is a guilty pleasure for me.

It also has one of the best in-jokes for Chinese-Americans. The villain is named Lo Fong, which sounds like "lo fan", which is Chinese slang for white guy (usually in a "dumbass" sort of sense). When my father and I first saw it in theaters, and we heard his name, we bust a gut. All the other people looked at us like we grew a second head.

Medallion was a movie that was CLEARLY three different movies edited together. You can tell because the directoral style and composition and lighting change dramatically between scenes, Jackie randomly gets a haircut 14 minutes in, and most tellingly, about half the movie is dubbed, (the parts with his asian wife) and half of it has an english speaking british cast. It also has five writers and two different music composers and two different editors.
    Well this explains a lot, I just hate works that do not have direction. Without a clear line things generaly tend to get bad, be it movies, tv shows or manga for example.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information