+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music Subforum

Default Music Subforum

I would like to bring up something for consideration and thank you well in advance for reading through this post.

I've been debating bringing up a music subforum and I figured it's probably been asked about before. I assume if it has, in the past, the general thought is "would people use it and is it necessary?" These are questions that can quickly shut the idea down and I'd like to offer some defense, because I think at heart our first thought is that it seems like it would be the least discussed of all hypothetical Arlong Park media subforums and major forums (unless we count Knitting, which has a declining fanbase.) At first I was wondering if it would be a good subforum myself (I'm a music scholar by non-existent career and degree), because the thought has been on my mind for the past week. But seeing how easily we can get people to come to the General Music Thread when discussions are brought up made me realize there is a budding potential. There are several users who even cite music as their primary interest, such as myself. I thought about it some, but what do you guys think? Is there actual lasting value and room for it to come out?

Part of my thinking that maybe it could work is that we have a few threads that could be moved into it already, the idea that once it's there people will think of things to talk about too. We already have threads such as "Forced Listening", "General Music", even person threads such as "Zephos's Rock Journey", other obvious ideas like "What Are You Listening to". I know we could add in many other types as well, much broader than immediately apparent. There might be a lot of one-off topics, but I can also see the forum getting some serious life. Here are some hypothetical threads because I have a lot of time on my hands:

-"Talk New Music"
    A type of thread that begs for a sticky. Just a general where we can discuss everything about the most recent of contemporary music, such as major music blogs, discoveries, big artists new and old for the year, which albums we have most been enjoying in 2012 and onwards.

- "Music videos"
    Self-explanatory, some people really love music videos. I'm not big into them actually, but I bet this could work, though there is potential to turn into never ending lists without discussion (which I am always a fan of encouraging).

- "I'm looking for more music like this thing I just heard let me show you"-
    Depending on frequency, this could collapse into a single thread, or one could allow multiple types of this be made.

- "HEAVY METAL THREAD!!!!"
    - "Who loves classic rock!?"
    Threads like this are self explanatory and could result in quite a breadth of discussions, far more so than something as too general as "General Music" does currently. Making big threads for styles of music and generations are always relevant, especially when albums are reissued, or one is curious about what others think of a seminal work.

-And then of course any myriad number of threads devoted to one band, which could see days of discussion, minutes, hours, who knows what. Some stuff takes off well and can be fruitful. I guarantee you if this forum is made, a Beatles thread will follow and that alone can create lots of disagreements or talk.

-"Japanese bands"/"Indian bands"/"South african blues artists"
    Self explanatory for the above few styles of threads.

-"What was your favorite album/Top 10 this year?"
    Very popular discussions when the year is almost over, this is probably the biggest question on anyone's mind who is into contemporary music. Sharing top ten lists can be a great method of re-evaluation and discovery.

~

Now these are all some very obvious answers for what could go into the forum, but I think I've demonstrated that even the obvious ones could probably fill it up pretty well.

Now with a music forum would also come consideration for its own set of rules. A common element of music on the internet is sharing and depending on this site's policy on legalities such as this, it may be good to establish early on whether or not sharing albums on upload sites is okay during discussions.

But anyways, there's my idea. What do you guys think? The big question is, would this actually work out?

Default Re: Music Subforum

lets do this thing

Sounds good to me.

Oh man am I down.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

There ARE a heck of a lot of music threads around. Why not, says I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

I can definitely get behind this idea.

Count me in!

It's been discussed before, and while I'm personally okay with the idea, the general consensus was that the music threads that already exist just don't get enough traffic to warrant their own subsection.

Even the general music thread when it was stickied went months without receiving a single post, its only on page 23 after 2 years.

The next music thread I can see, the prog rock thread, is 9 pages back and hasn't been touched since September, and Favorite Guitarists since August. The fourth music thread, Mp3 Request Thread hasn't been touched since May 2011, Billy Joel March 2011.

If more traffic starts going to those threads, or there starts to be an abundance of them circulating the front couple pages, (and no, that's not an invite to start creating 20 random threads to spam the front page) then it might happen. But for now? They just don't warrant their own section.
    Last edited by Robby; June 25th, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Part of me thinks that it's at least worth a test. Having a subforum allows for a few things that might bring in regular traffic. For one, it separates the topic from the rest of the forum, which does a lot. Right now, music is sort of split between general discussion and media, which not only creates some confusion, but also means that they compete with really fast-moving and trendy topics. Also, it seems like there is some internal confusion within the threads, due to their very general natures. Having a subforum makes for a more comfortable climate to discuss and explore the wide world of music and might attract the people who normally miss those topics to them by separating them from more popular threads.

Perhaps this isn't too strong of a case, but I think, given what I just said and the fact that some of this forums more prominent and talkative members are all up for it, we could make this work.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Convince the admins. Gotta show that at least one thread can be active and stay prominent first.

Most I can do is resticky the general music thread.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    was that the music threads that already exist just don't get enough traffic to warrant their own subsection.
    The thing is that I don't think those threads are a good indicator at all and I don't think it's fair to use those as a gauge of interest. It's not a fair assessment honestly and here's why:

There aren't music threads not because nobody wants to discuss them, but because they're not given a reason to assume they will be looked at. If music is my absolute favorite thing, why do I personally not go into them? Well, it's hard to know what kind of audience you'd get for any of your posts. People go into Media and look for a completely different brand of thread. They look for movies and TV shows, not music, and any possible music thread has to compete with a forum that is 100% devoted to a dfferent subject matter.

It is an entirely uphill battle that's not worth fighting for. And then when there is something interesting brought up in General Music, we seem jump at it because it's something, but at the same time it's such an insanely broad area that it doesn't have the staying power. But when Zephos brought up, fuck I don't know, whatever he did last time that brought in all kinds of people from across the forum including the music crowd, it was a great discussion for a few days. You were there Robby, actually! Not to say that I think this is all on you, I get that you're just relaying information and confirming a consensus I assumed was made a while ago

But that's why I made the thread, see, to try and convince otherwise.

Wagomu is right when he says it'd be a way more comfortable climate. We have quite a few members who not only would be willing to populate it, but would do so entirely naturally.

Does it have staying power??? We'd see and that's the real thing about it. But I'm totally with Wagomu here. I think the big thing is that the music subforum would have to attract some more general participants. Like, casual listeners who just wanna shoot shit sometimes too (it's what the What Are You Listening To thread seems to be) and the environment might work out alright.

But as is, when there's several different forums that music falls into (General Discussion? Media...?) it's already confusing to even know where you'd make a thread, and then it would usually just get sidetracked because, and I'm repeating this because it's a big point, the traffic tends to jump into these forums for threads that are already there, competing with threads soon to be made of related topicality to the pre-existing threads. No music thread can really compete with that when it's just diluted so thin and so generally.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I dunno, it's not like we're all certain it'd be HUGEST SURPRISE hit but a lot of prominent posters wanna give it a fair shot because we like the subject a lot.

Part of me thinks that it's at least worth a test. Having a subforum allows for a few things that might bring in regular traffic. For one, it separates the topic from the rest of the forum, which does a lot. Right now, music is sort of split between general discussion and media, which not only creates some confusion, but also means that they compete with really fast-moving and trendy topics. Also, it seems like there is some internal confusion within the threads, due to their very general natures. Having a subforum makes for a more comfortable climate to discuss and explore the wide world of music and might attract the people who normally miss those topics to them by separating them from more popular threads.

Perhaps this isn't too strong of a case, but I think, given what I just said and the fact that some of this forums more prominent and talkative members are all up for it, we could make this work.
    I know I don't frequent the music threads for the sole purpose that they don't make sense in the Media or General Discussion areas. I go to those areas for info and discussion for things outside of music, and when I see music stuff in what I view non-music subjects, I tend to not really pay attention to the threads, and my life is focused on music.

Stay foxy out there! Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

The problem is that music is such a broad subject that one thread for it is bound to be a bit difficult to keep alive, because everyone is going to want to be discussing different things so it's impossible to really enjoy a discussion at length.

What if we had a single General TV Show thread? It'd be hard to have any staying power because one person likes Community and another likes Game of Thrones and another likes Lost or The Wire or whatever, so it would be difficult to have anyone other than the die-hard TV fans participate in discussions because one single topic won't stick around for too long.

With a subforum, it can be broken down into separate topics by genre or whatnot, so it's much easier to discuss, I would think.

Like I said. I'm personally okay with the idea. I've even pitched it before.

Convince the admins.

Do the admins not read this?

Because that's what this whole thread is about. I thought if I posted it here they'd see it.

Brennen, Urogue and Nessa have all been busier with life as of late, (of the new baby and cross-continent variety) and the others pretty much never deal with actual forum stuff, just technical.

So you have to work to catch them currently.
    Last edited by Robby; June 25th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.

I know Vanessa is pretty busy, but I figured the rest always are too, so I dunno

I thought maybe they'd catch this eventually, but I didn't want to be a pest and PM. I'll do it I guess!

Nope. Pester em. That's the only way to get stuff done. It was hard to convince them to do a western animation section, and that had like 200 active topics ready to move at the time.

I sent out a general staff mail on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    The problem is that music is such a broad subject that one thread for it is bound to be a bit difficult to keep alive, because everyone is going to want to be discussing different things so it's impossible to really enjoy a discussion at length.

What if we had a single General TV Show thread? It'd be hard to have any staying power because one person likes Community and another likes Game of Thrones and another likes Lost or The Wire or whatever, so it would be difficult to have anyone other than the die-hard TV fans participate in discussions because one single topic won't stick around for too long.

With a subforum, it can be broken down into separate topics by genre or whatnot, so it's much easier to discuss, I would think.
    I accidentally deleted a much bigger post than this here, so thank you for making the point for me KI!

Basically a General Music Thread is like a General TV Show Thread, or a General Movie Thread, or a General Manga Thread.
    Completely dead in the water. But it's not like it doesn't have potential, as the many different Music Threads have shown.
    Threads could (easily) be dedicated to new albums as they come out, bands, or genres. Toss the Forced Listening and What Are You Currently Listening To? threads in there and you have a potluck.
    There's a variety of different posters in all of these threads already, giving music lovers a subforum of their own would really bring them out of the woodwork. And not just them, but regular folks who are just curious!

I'm confident that with Wagomu, Zephos, and Holy behind this, this kind of thing is at least worth a shot!
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Looks pretty well thought out so I see no problem with giving this a chance. If anything a music subforum would end up pretty active by the sheer quantity of it; as much as Western Animation at least.

I'll get started in a bit, and will begin looking through for any topics that would merit being moved into that section.

Also Holy, if there's anything specific you'd want added on while I'm working on this just message me k.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information