+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Video game music

Default Re: Video game music

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Two words for you all: Grim Fandango:
    Grim Fandango music is indeed great. Good taste. =)

Quote Originally Posted by RPGJay View Post
    Aspiring musicians I want you to know you'll never make a standard battle theme as good as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWS82orrtik
    I always considered that to be one of Motoi Sakuraba's best battle themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndel View Post
    Also the entire Odin Sphere soundtrack.
    I just nostalgia'd thinking about some of those songs. One of my favorites is Battle in the Labyrinth City:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Sorikai33 View Post
    Pokemon music. 'Nuff said.
    I'll add on to the Pokemon line and say that the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon music in particular is really worth a listen, especially the more high quality gamerips if they can be found. They're very well composed and really in another league compared to the main series music, which is really saying something considering how catchy that music is. Another tune - Temporal Tower from Mystery Dungeon 2. It's completely atmospheric and serene.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    and i know it's final fantasy, but this great song from FF6 is always overlooked.
    owsers house
    Aw yeah. Magic House is that one FFVI tune that always gets stuck in my head despite not being one of the more popular songs.

I enjoyed Scissors Shrimper. The melody initially leads me to believe it's gonna go "Go go power rangers" for a brief second though lol. I also liked the Parasite Eve song.
    Last edited by FelRes; June 28th, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Needs a little Tommy Tallarico.

One of my favs from Earthworm Jim
    Spoiler:

Also, this:
    Spoiler:

Bonus round music from Cool Spot.
    I firmly believe it is impossible to listen to this song and not feel hype.
    Spoiler:

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Chrono Cross OST.

Every damn bit of it.

a mood come alive.

Peter McConnell In general is my favorite soundtrack composer. He makes some of the few soundtracks I actually listen to outside of the video game.

Speaking of that, how about a discussion. Do you feel that video game music is worth listening to outside of video games? For me, it takes a particularly great soundtrack to warrant outside listening. Most great BGM does best as just that in my mind. They're sort of a symbiotic pair in my mind. The music is a part of the game and the game is a part of the music. To separate them means to ignore the context of each. I feel strongly that context is important for music in general and video games strongly root their sounds within their schemes. For example, think of Skies of Arcadia and the boss battles. The fights have great dynamic music that changes depending on the state of the battle, but consequently does not work at all outside of the game. Does video game music stand out as much outside the game for you as in?

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
    Needs a little Tommy Tallarico.

Spoiler:

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Chrono Cross OST.

Every damn bit of it.
    Bonus Round Music is pretty good. And yes, Tommy Tallarico is great. I need to go to Video Games Live! sometimes.

And yes, Chrono Cross is indeed the greatest video game OST to ever be created imo. I'm wondering if we're ever going to see someone top Mitsuda's work.

Peter McConnell In general is my favorite soundtrack composer. He makes some of the few soundtracks I actually listen to outside of the video game.

Speaking of that, how about a discussion. Do you feel that video game music is worth listening to outside of video games? For me, it takes a particularly great soundtrack to warrant outside listening. Most great BGM does best as just that in my mind. They're sort of a symbiotic pair in my mind. The music is a part of the game and the game is a part of the music. To separate them means to ignore the context of each. I feel strongly that context is important for music in general and video games strongly root their sounds within their schemes. For example, think of Skies of Arcadia and the boss battles. The fights have great dynamic music that changes depending on the state of the battle, but consequently does not work at all outside of the game. Does video game music stand out as much outside the game for you as in?
    I think a lot of video game music becomes better when listened to in the context of the game or scene or what have you. But it's really a case by case thing. A big example would be stuff like Final Fantasy, particularly starting around FFVII. When playing the game, a lot of the music is just instantly likable. And some will be so great that they become those songs that everyone likes, such as Not Alone (FFIX) and The Man with the Machine Gun (FFVIII). But then the whole of the music gets praised from said games, and when you listen to the actual soundtrack that has around a hundred full songs, you'll notice that only a handful are really that good outside of the context of the game while the rest are mediocre, and some are even flat out bad. But there's still those few gems that worthy of being on my mp3 player because they're actual legitimately good songs.

Today, I think the bulk of music that is good outta context comes from indie games - stuff you'd find in those Humble Indie Bundle things. VVVVVV, Machinarium, Bastion, etc. It feels like the composers for games like those are actually trying to create music that is good to listen to outside of the game. I'm a pretty avid listener of VGM - I'm currently taking part in a vgm contest where we vote based on musical merit. I know next to nothing about the context of most of the songs and am still enjoying a ton of stuff enough to be putting it on repeated listens.

So overall, I do consider video game music to be listenable outside of video games. Treat it like any other spectrum of music, realize that there's all sorts of different styles, disregard context, and take the bad with the good.
    Last edited by FelRes; June 28th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

It really depends on the game. Some or most games have scores that heavily focus on context of the area, or event and while these are good, they aren't really memorable enough for me seek out and listen to on my own time. But... I don't really know.

When I look at this topic, and the counterpart to this topic in the gaming forum I've noticed that no one is really recommending anyone to listen to soundtracks. Praise over a track is mostly due to the fact the that player has already established a liking to it, due to having played the game themselves. So you can say it more or less recalls your experience playing the game, or imagining alternative possibilities or your own ideas that's inspired by the sound itself. If someone else didn't play the game, then I can assume the soundtrack would not really mean very much to try listening to. That and there's always the case of "I heard better", especially since the amount of soundtracks for games exists in a huge variety.

But like I said, I don't really know. So forgive me if my attempt at running my mind through a post didn't really connect. I'm not very good at that.

For me, I picture what the world would be like if every possible thing had a theme. A setting, a thing you/people do, a person, ect.
    Too me a soundtrack is an alternative atmosphere. Sound that establishes "something", be it real or imaginative.

But yeah, depends on the game. Normally when an entire track feels "too" in-game or standard for me, I get extremely bored of it despite how good it may be. It like... say. A TV series that uses uses the standard kinds of orchestrated generic scores. Games can fall for this "safe" trap too. I don't have examples as I don't remember any, but that's what I think atleast.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RPGJay View Post
    Aspiring musicians I want you to know you'll never make a standard battle theme as good as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWS82orrtik
    You know. I've been an avid listener of Sakuraba's work for years. I have not played Baten Kiatos, but believe me... It feels like I've heard this song before like it's a combination of 6 different tracks. Not entirely a bad thing. I bet if you listen to several of my favorite Sakuraba piece from other games, it would sound exactly like other themes you have heard before :D

It's fun, mainly because of how recognizable his style is. Yoko Shimomura too. I love both composers in the same right equally.

i totally agree that game music is meant to compliment the game. Though, there are gems out there that can be played alone and still rock. Sometimes the nostalgia of a game has a lot to do with that too. Sometimes the music is the reason people like the game in the first place.

Looking through the first page of this thread, there were some songs that were called great, that I thought were kinda dull, and others that sounded awesome even if I never played the game. i need to play wild arms. i remember hearing it was a good game, and that music is sure telling me something good about it. and that VVVVVV or whatever; that's going on my pm3 player. :3

I loved the music from Golden Sun, Myst, and DMC the best I think. Metal Gear Solid 4's music had a lot of nostalgia appeal for me that I loved and L.A. Noire's soundtrack (especially the car radio stuff) made me pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiciteKefka View Post
    Another awesome song which is barely mentioned.

Spoiler:
    I'm slowly running through this thread's musics, so don't mind me. This song progresses quite similar to this one. It's not completely the same, but it just sort of reminds me it in a slower pace.
    Hidden:

Not a game song either, but it could be

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Me and Jay had a little Sakuraba exchange, so if you are familiar with his work this would be interesting. My favorite discovery was how similar these two tracks are. Almost as if they are remixes of eachother, more or less.

Hidden:

It was fun. I'm probally going to try listening to some of Yoko Shimorura's work as well since I've noticed several songs in Legend of Mana that sounded almost as if they were straight up recycled in Kingdom Hearts.
    (the only games I played where she composed was Legend of Mana, KH series and Radiant Historia)

Edit: Found a 3rd song too :D added it to the tag
    Last edited by Hiroy; June 29th, 2012 at 01:57 AM.

Oooohhhh boy. I love me some video game music!

My favourite game composer would have to be Akira Yamaoka. His scores for the Silent Hill games are exceptional, especially for the second and third installments. Not only do they perfectly support their respective games, but they can be enjoyed on their own. I do this a lot, in fact, making him the artist I listen to the most.

Here are some of my favourites from the OST of Silent Hill 2. To me the whole thing sounds like sorrow, longing and melancholy put into music, with some added sounds of terror. If any of you ever feel like giving it a chance, I strongly recommend it~
    Spoiler:

The soundtrack for Silent Hill 3 is more industrial and the mood varies. These are definitely worth checking out.
    Spoiler:

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

Just remembered:
    Hidden:

How could I forget?

Tomohito Nishiura and Shoji Meguro, 2 composers of videogame music who've been consistent in their work for a long time and who always do interesting new stuff. Any game these 2 worked on the music enhanced the experienced tremendously. They're probably currently my two most favoured japanese composers after Uematsu recent pieces have been disappointing (although they were pretty solid).

Tomohito Nishiura:

Dark Cloud 1 Theme
    Spoiler:

Dark Cloud 2 Intro
    Spoiler:

Professor Layton Spectre Flute Theme
    Spoiler:

Shoji Meguro:

I'll face myself (Persona 4 Battle theme)
    Spoiler:

I'll face myself (Persona 4 Battle theme) remix
    Spoiler:

Burn my Dread (Persona 3 Final boss theme)
    Spoiler:

Heartful Cry (Persona 3 boss theme)
    Spoiler:

New World Symphony by Dvorak (Rearrangement for the game Catherine) he took a classical piece and gave it a modern touch. The original is also a pretty cool piece of classical Music.
    Spoiler:

Traumerei (Persona 4 ost) one of his more serene pieces, the point where you hear this song in the game will probably get your eyes moist. The music helps a lot to get that feeling across.
    Spoiler:

Theme of the Specter's Flute is among one of my favorite songs, vgm or otherwise. Tomohito Nishiura is actually my most listened to artist in the past 12 months according to last.fm. His live music is amazing.
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

The only video game soundtracks I listen to outside of the games themselves are Jet Set Radio Future, Madworld, and F-Zero GX. Maybe Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Everything else I enjoy listening to once in a while on YT or on the game itself. I also like seeing different guitar covers/metal renditions of classic nostalgic game songs. One of my favorite guitarists is CSguitar89. He arranged a complete and dedicated album of 20 Zelda song covers.

I love playing video game music on guitar, especially when its MIDI or fully orchestrated work. Since there's usually no actual guitar tracks in those songs, I have more fun arranging (not as to tab out a song or even record a cover or anything, but to have fun playing along at home) guitar parts for those songs and playing them. It's a brand new take on those songs which are so much more complex and full of life.

The occasional Crush 40 and Sonic Adventure soundtracks, while mostly cheesy, is also fun to play, but since those soundtracks are so centered on rock and blues hard rock scales and electric guitars, it's not as fun to just copy the guitar tracks. Finding out how to play a game song as it goes along (I can learn a song in a minute or two) also helps me in developing my ear and improves my skill for learning stuff alone without the need of tabs online or chords. I don't actually need the help anymore since I can now figure out a song quickly but practice never hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Theme of the Specter's Flute is among one of my favorite songs, vgm or otherwise. Tomohito Nishiura is actually my most listened to artist in the past 12 months according to last.fm. His live music is amazing.
    I especially like that he always incorporates a main melody that's easy to remember/simple and somewhat catchy, which he accompanies with additional layers of tunes into his works. It really reminds me of the old days where game music had to be short and still had to make an impression because of technical limitations.

I think if it comes to western video game composers I'll have to list Jeremy Souls. His work is absolutely amazing.
    Morrowinds main theme Call of Magic still refreshes my memories of this monster of a game instantly.

Skyrim Maintheme
    Spoiler:

I just love the powerful vibe that this piece gives off.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Tomohito Nishiura
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Jeremy Souls.

Two really good composers. I love the work they do.

Another favorite composer of mine in Jesper Kyd. One of the biggest draws of the Assassin's Creed series is the music that enforces the style and atmosphere of the games, and Kyd really did a good job with them.

Hidden:

Hidden:
    Steam Profile: Sorikai33 | 3DS Friend Code: 2981 6418 0894
    ^Feel free to add me on either^

Sig art by Stjepan Sejic

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    It really depends on the game. Some or most games have scores that heavily focus on context of the area, or event and while these are good, they aren't really memorable enough for me seek out and listen to on my own time. But... I don't really know.

When I look at this topic, and the counterpart to this topic in the gaming forum I've noticed that no one is really recommending anyone to listen to soundtracks. Praise over a track is mostly due to the fact the that player has already established a liking to it, due to having played the game themselves. So you can say it more or less recalls your experience playing the game, or imagining alternative possibilities or your own ideas that's inspired by the sound itself. If someone else didn't play the game, then I can assume the soundtrack would not really mean very much to try listening to. That and there's always the case of "I heard better", especially since the amount of soundtracks for games exists in a huge variety.

But like I said, I don't really know. So forgive me if my attempt at running my mind through a post didn't really connect. I'm not very good at that.

For me, I picture what the world would be like if every possible thing had a theme. A setting, a thing you/people do, a person, ect.
    Too me a soundtrack is an alternative atmosphere. Sound that establishes "something", be it real or imaginative.

But yeah, depends on the game. Normally when an entire track feels "too" in-game or standard for me, I get extremely bored of it despite how good it may be. It like... say. A TV series that uses uses the standard kinds of orchestrated generic scores. Games can fall for this "safe" trap too. I don't have examples as I don't remember any, but that's what I think atleast.
    God damn is it hard to have a discussion when I agree 100% with everything you say. This puts things into perspective well for me.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

I also really liked the OST for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Why was that again..? Oh, yeah, because of freaking Amon Tobin.
    Hidden:

I love the Quake soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails. Didn't listen to it much ingame 'cause you needed to have the CD in the computer... And I was to young back then to understand such things. I figured it out eventually. But by then I had tired of the game, the music was awesome though. So it became one of the CDs I used in my portable CD-player in my gymnasium days. :)

Going through the thread agian, listening to stuff I haven't heard before(or did). Interesting. I can't leave some of these without a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Dervish View Post

Spoiler:

I've never played Cool Spot, but I certainly like upbeat retro songs like this one. If I can recall a particular one from memory, it's this one. It's probably the best mix in Cave Story for me.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by lelandlancaster View Post
    I loved the music from Golden Sun, Myst, and DMC the best I think. Metal Gear Solid 4's music had a lot of nostalgia appeal for me that I loved and L.A. Noire's soundtrack (especially the car radio stuff) made me pretty happy.
    I don't think alot of Golden Sun's soundtrack stands out enough for me to recall them. It's mostly typical fantasy, but there are a few pieces that really does show Sakuraba's energetic style. This is an incredibally overatted example, but for good reason. I love Saturos Theme a whole lot.
    Hidden:

I guess Sakurba always has that one song that really does blow away most of the track. Take Tales of Phantasia's (original) "Fighting the Spirit" for example. Or Valkyrie Profile 2's "Celestial Trope"(not my favorite song, but a fan favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndel View Post
    Just remembered:
    Hidden:

How could I forget?
    I reminded you. Yes! Yoko's track sends this cold feeling down my spine. Like I'm being massaged into deep relaxation. The final boss's theme was just powerful. It really does feel like you are putting a close to long and epic tale that would end either happily or tragically. It's called "An Earnest Desire of Grey", but I won't link it. It's too good of a track to spoil for those that have not played it, and I highly suggest that people do play it.

If there's anything I'll mention it's this one. It gave me the feeling of nostalgia upon remembering Hallow Bastion from the original Kingdom Heats game. If you have not played RH and played KH, this one would feel right at home.

Hidden:

God damn is it hard to have a discussion when I agree 100% with everything you say. This puts things into perspective well for me.
    Hahah! Thank you. :D I'm glad it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Take Tales of Phantasia's (original) "Fighting the Spirit" for example.
    That song gives me such a nostalgia rush. :]

Sadly, Sakuraba is kinda the cookie cutter composer, where most of his music sounds exactly alike after a while, which is kinda bound to happen when he has to create so many huge soundtracks. Sadly this led to the kinda deserved nickname of Suckuraba. The bad outweights the good. Best work is prolly Baten Kaitos, both of them. Guy can create some wicked battle themes though

Tales of the Abyss
    Spoiler:

Tales of Symphonia
    Spoiler:
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information