View Poll Results: who is the strongest now living char in OP?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shanks

101 23.43%
  • Mihawk

9 2.09%
  • Kizaru

8 1.86%
  • Dragon

75 17.40%
  • Akainu

27 6.26%
  • Big Mom

3 0.70%
  • Kaido

42 9.74%
  • Kuzan

1 0.23%
  • the grosei

18 4.18%
  • Garp

7 1.62%
  • Sengoku

1 0.23%
  • Blackbeard

100 23.20%
  • Marco

6 1.39%
  • Kuma

4 0.93%
  • other

29 6.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 437 of 437 FirstFirst ... 337 387 427 435 436 437
Results 8,721 to 8,731 of 8731

Thread: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Luffy can be hurt with blunt hits, they just have to be really strong. See Kuro kicking his face with Soru.

But I guess it's more likely that Sabo and Ace simply overpowered/detained him, just like the Mountain Bandit in the first chapter.
    I don't think he bleeds because of the hit's strength. He cut his lips on the shoe I think.

Yep, Oda would not make such a big deal of blunt attacks hurting Luffy in several situations if something like that can be generally possible, itīs more like Ramistar suggested

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSmith View Post
    but..luffy is supposed to be a rubber? Is this a plothole? Even luffy said that he wouldn't be hurt when he fell from high places into the marineford
    Luffy can cushion the impact by landing in a certain stance, but a sudden, super strong blunt force hitting him? Pre-Haki my take was that he's super resistant to these kind of attacks, but he was not completely immune. The effect for the reader was basically "woah, this guy's punch/kick/special move is so strong, it even has a slight effect on Luffy??!"

https://mangadex.org/chapter/64798/9

https://mangadex.org/chapter/62136/9

And then Oda introduced the concept of CoA Haki, which happened after the examples I've mentioned took place. From that point on he really made it a point that Luffy being harmed through blunt attacks is super extraordinary, and that it must be haki or fishman karate or something super special if the attack worked.

I mean you can rationalize each event if you try hard enough, like Lucci's and Kuro's shoes having a sharp edge cutting Luffy's lip, or that an impact dial is not a blunt force (which might very well be the case), but I believe Oda simply wasn't sure where the journey would lead early on and how far he's willing to go with the rubber defense concept. But then came CoA, at which point he had his easy escape route when it comes to anything battle-lore, including Luffy's ability.
    I wouldn't call it a plothole, but I do believe that the concept of CoA was sloppily introduced, and that it makes certain scenes look flawed in the grand scheme of things (including Luffy being slightly injured by blunt attacks early on, but not anymore - everything is haki coated anyway).

Personally I will just write it off as Luffy's fruit becoming even more resilient over time, it developed its main strength like every other fruit ability. But I don't believe we were supposed to think that he was completely immune to punches during the first quarter of One Piece.
    Last edited by Jabra; July 15th, 2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Black Hole View Post
    I think what you're doing here is to approach this with some mindset: "There is a proposed turn in the story. Does this violate any "In-world" roles of One Piece? Is it even possible to achieve this without violating any rules?" (In this case, Raftel can only be reached by having the 4 Road Poneglyphs).

I think more of: "There's this proposed story event that would really fit. That's the main point. Oda will find a way of doing this without violating his rules and if he doesn't, he will stretch them."

Now the rule here is: "There's no reaching Raftel without 4 Road Poneglyphs".
    There once also was a rule that said: "No one can have more than one Devil Fruit". Until Oda strecthed this at one time when he needed it, conincidentally with Blackbeard.

If Oda wants to have Blackbeard discover the secrets of Raftel for himself and let himself be crowned Pirate King, possibly surprising the Strawhats at Raftel, so that Luffy has to fight him for something more than "Strongest Yonkou" in the Final war, and thus, Blackbeard will have to be present at Raftel... Oda will do it.

Besides, Blackbeard's hobby is "History Research", so maybe there is another way and he already found it. Or he discovers some other secrets in the possible event that he and his crew will crash Mariejois for Shirahoshi or the Secret treasure. Or he just follows the Strawhats without attracting attention after they discover there way to Raftel.
    I wanted to know if you had a particular theory in mind since you mentioned Blackbeard arriving there; if you had imagined another way of discovering Raftel without having the 4 Road Poneglyph. In a sense BB could get a hold of them similarly to how Luffy did (stealing them from someone else); but even that idea has its limits since the Poneglyph on Zou is supposed to be held secret.

When BB confronts important characters, he has a plan in mind and his actions all seem to lead towards an ultimate goal, unknown for now. He killed Thatch to steal the Yami Yami, the most intriguing DF we've seen; he wanted to capture Luffy (and ended up with Ace) to become Shichibukai, only to be able to play the World Government. Then, he infiltrated Impel Down, handpicked the best fighters, and forged a crew of dangerous criminal with various abilities.
    After that, he took Whitebeard's OP devil fruit, and went on to forging an Empire. The only massive battle he has been engaged in that we know of is the Payback War, which he didn't start (Marco, ch. 909: "We fought a war of repayment with any blackbeard pirate that came calling. [...] All we wanted was to teach that thankless upstart a lesson!").

As mentioned, it has been foreshadowed that BB would attack Shanks. And while the consequences and implications in regards to the hero have been discussed, the question I ask myself if: what would be the context (<=> motivation) for this eventual fight?

I'd start by trying to determine who would start it.
    Would it be Shanks attacking BB? If yes, for which reason? Is he afraid he'd reach Raftel, and, upon realizing that his previous requests to put an end to him (he asked WB, perhaps even the Gorosei... which could explain why Imu has a BB bounty poster) weren't heard, took the matter into his own hands? I find that hard to imagine, since it would be a careless move from Shanks, who happens to be a character that would rather put an end to a war. On top of that, he has a shady, cordial connection with the Elders and is respected by the high navy officers (like Sengoku), and although that isn't exactly clear, it must be in part because he helps maintain balance despite being a pirate. When two Emperors collide, the effects of that must be as disastrous for the world as the Summit War. Equilibrium is kept as long as there are 4 Emperors, and even those pirates would rather avoid battling each other. In fact, the only time an Emperor has lost his place was when after going against the Navy.
    Luckily for our theory, BB doesn't seem to care about balance (the capture and execution of Ace ignited the world) -- which leads to the alternative: BB attacks Shanks. I repeat: "When BB confronts important characters, he has a plan in mind". What would be the plan behind attacking Shanks?
    After Wano, chances are Kaido, maybe even Big Mom, will fall. This could be an opportunity for BB to crush the last Emperor (exit Luffy) and get closer to the title of Pirate King. However, I'm not sure wether that's a motivation fit for that particular character. He remained an ~average pirate on WB's ship for 20 years just to get one particular DF. Although it could show how patient and careful he is in his quest of becoming very powerful, the best of best, to me it hints that being the big boss of the seas isn't really his final objective. Does he seem a simple power hungry maniac, as his speech in MF, after acquiring another devil fruit, would suggest? Back when he encountered Luffy on Jaya, it was made clear he was more than that. That somehow his ideals were not as corrupt as his actions, and shared a lot in common with Luffy's.
    Almost like when Kidd is presented as this crazy, arrogant, blood-thirsty crook, but briefly shifts when Luffy says 'I will be king of pirates!'

This makes me think that BB needs to get something from Shanks <=> one of the very few known former members of the Oro Jackson. Rayleigh said that all previous members knew about everything there was on Raftel / about the Void Century (I would need confirmation: are rookies like Shanks or Buggy included?). This could be a strong motive for BB, the history addict, to attack an Emperor. That way, he could reach Raftel by obtaining info from Shanks.
    Side note: Shanks' two major injuries are linked to D. He was trying to save Luffy when he lost his arm; what if he wanted something from BB when he got his scar? Something only a D. could give, that could be connected to Raftel or the OP. It seems odd someone as strong would get injured by BB pre-DF.
    Side note two: we've discussed all of this by assuming the BB fight would be on Raftel. Maybe it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Or he could just follow Luffy.
    This was mentioned several times. I can't see Oda going for such a boring build-up to a final confrontation... 'We're there! At Raftel' -- 'Wait, captain, what's that ship?' 'It's BB! He followed us here!'... sounds like something Team Rocket would do.

Another question I had in mind: do you guys think there is some special requirement for reaching Raftel other than having the exact coordinates?
    Last edited by Kaptayn; July 20th, 2018 at 08:32 AM.

I've always thought that Blackbeard would become involved with the Poneglyphs at some point because of his obsession with history. No idea on how he gets to them, though

Spoiler:

What does O-Tama means ? I feel like there is a silly joke behind that name.

Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    What does O-Tama means ? I feel like there is a silly joke behind that name.
    O is a honorific prefix especially used in feudal Japan. Tama means ball and is often used to name kittens. That’s what I got.

So is nojiko taller than nami? I cat remember how they appeared when close together but I thought Nojiko was taller.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    O is a honorific prefix especially used in feudal Japan. Tama means ball and is often used to name kittens. That’s what I got.
    It's an honorific for women/girls specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    It's an honorific for women/girls specifically.
    That's sort of correct; the 'o' was/is also used for various nouns to raise formality.

Like the word monk (坊主 bo-zu) could become (お坊さん o-bo-san) or rice (米 ko-me) could be (お米 o-ko-me).

I believe the reason for using 'o' is slightly different for women: in addition to the formality aspect, it makes the name sound 'cuter,' sort of nickname-fying it.

English equivalent would probably be Alison/Alice becoming Allie as a nickname?

I wonder why Law decided to stick with a cursed sword. He could probably find or buy a fine one that isn't cursed. A promise to a special someone? To lazy? Refusal to give attention to superstitions?

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information