+ Reply to Thread
Page 1045 of 1045 FirstFirst ... 45 545 945 995 1035 1043 1044 1045
Results 20,881 to 20,894 of 20894

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    You're putting way too much weight on that phrase. It's Luffy's inarticulate way of saying an island full of talking animals. It was a throwaway line that had no long-term relevance on the story.
    It's important not because Luffy said it, but because Oda put it in his mouth at all.

As the very first thing. As the very first impression.

Meaning to Luffy, and thus the audience, Oda wanted the impression to be "here's is an island of characters similar to one we already have! Neat, right?"

That same idea could have been expressed at any point in the arc, or even ust a few pages later, in much more casual conversation.
    "Man, Chopper looks like he's getting along great here doesn't he?"
    "Yeah, it's like he found a bunch of people like him!"

Same intent, more subtle, and not the first impression. Points out the elephant in the room without yelling it from the treetops. Luffy didn't even get starry eyed or anything.

Oh, and we were also introduced to Wanda at first dressed as Nami which was also supposed to bring up questions and comparisons, so that's a thing too. THat first week cliffhanger people were even speculating Nami had been transformed.

Oda went to huge length to show "this island is full of friends like the crew. They look like the crew and even dress like the crew." You can't scream secondary more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Oooh, I like the sound of that! I always like it when authors put creative spins on fictionally popular powers by switching up colors or means of activation.
    Right? And at least it would fit the creativeness of the SH's themselves when they put their own spin on already existing techniques.

Also just throwing it out there.....Hope Nami gets Zeus..
    Last edited by ArmamentHero; December 10th, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Retort...
    We're just not going to agree. So far, only minks have been shown to use electro (which is different from just random electrical-based attacks from other characters) and there has been nothing shown to suggest that someone else can just learn it because they have fur. We'll see how things go over the next few chapters, but for now, I'm sticking to what's cannon on the electro ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Law, a human, is somehow able to generate electric attacks despite having no fur nor an appropriate devil fruit. Electric attacks are thus not tied purely to genetics. I'm sure Chopper can learn electric moves too if he wants. Electro in particular if its static electricity and tied to fur. If electro specifically IS a mink genetic thing and out of his reach, Law shows he can learn electric moves all the same. The difference in either case is negligible because it would still be a clearly inspired-by thing.

Also he is voiced by Pikachu, so that's a thing.

Nami with her staff can generate electric attacks but she has a prop for that.

Similarly, Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Kinemon, Usopp. and Franky can all make fire attacks, even though the last two are the only ones using actual fire creating materials. Luffy and Sanji both have CP9 moves even though they were never trained in the forms.

People can learn moves and techniques from others. Look at how much Usopp upgraded after Skypeia, or again after being on plant island.
    Law's power is most likely based off of his devil fruit. In fact, there are only two non-minks that I can recall that have used electrical attacks that weren't based on weapons. That's Law and Enel, and they're devil fruit users. You do realize the huge leap you're making by adding DF users to this conversation, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    I once thought Fishman Karate was tied to the aquatic races but ever since we found out Koala is a Fishman Karate practitioner I figure there is no reason why Chopper couldn't learn electro.
    It was never stated that non-fishmen couldn't learn fishman karate. What we've seen so far is that only minks can use electro and we have no evidence that anyone else can at this point.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; December 10th, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

Law's power is most likely based off of his devil fruit. In fact, there are only two non-minks that I can recall that have used electrical attacks that weren't based on weapons. That's Law and Enel, and they're devil fruit users.
    Hey, so is Chopper!

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

We're just not going to agree. So far, only minks have been shown to use electro (which is different from just random electrical-based attacks from other characters) and there has been nothing shown to suggest that someone else can just learn it because they have fur. We'll see how things go over the next few chapters, but for now, I'm sticking to what's cannon on the electro ability.
    Okay, let me shorten that monstrous comment I wrote then.

If it turned out that Haki was not exclusive to just Skypieans...

And if it turned out that Fishman Karate was not exclusive to just Fishmen...

Why is it so hard to believe that Electro might not be exclusive to just Minks, a race of talking animal men, if another character exists that happens to be a talking animal man?

Maybe we don't know that other characters with fur can't learn because they never bothered to ask that question because fur people that are not Minks are very rare? And Chopper might ask that question soon after this chapter as the only other furry person that is not a Mink in the entire One Piece world?

Electro is only different because Minks can use it as a race. And why can they use it as a race? Probably because they have fur. And fur conducts electricity. Unless you want to say that their electricity has nothing to do with that and Oda just assigned random electricity powers to talking animal people for no real logical reason.

It was never stated that non-fishmen couldn't learn fishman karate. What we've seen so far is that only minks can use electro and we have no evidence that anyone else can at this point.
    You mean like how we only saw Kuroobi (who debuted as far back as the Arlong Park arc), Jinbe, and Hody use Fishman Karate until Koala showed up showed up as late as Dressrosa?
    Last edited by Count Mario; December 11th, 2017 at 02:56 AM.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Probably is the fur. Only very hairy people, including people with long hair with control over it like the boa sisters or kumadori, could use it.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Discovered Stowaway K. Kira XXIII's Avatar

Luffy has electric attacks, work that science.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, the idea of electro being genetic based...what if...that genetic difference is...the fur? *gasps*
    Last edited by K. Kira XXIII; December 11th, 2017 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post

Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku

Hell, Nami creates lightning from a stick, she's not a Devil Fruit user.....
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Probably is the fur.
    Exactly this. Reminds me one that one Rescue Rangers episode where Nimnul kidnapped all the kittens to generate electricity exactly that way.

However, as a horny furry I don't care for logic and reasoning, I just want Carrot!
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Luffy doesn't shave, he doesn't need to, his hair hasn't been seen as rubber, and most of his body hair would get dislodged after a good stretch, like a crazy depilation stunt.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Speaking of hair, it was confirmed that if the flower fruit user was a hairy man, the arms sprouted would have hair, and robin's full body clones had hair in the head, she could use hair way more effectively for disruption attacks, as if she doesn't has to create the actual pores, it would not cause damage to her on receiving an attack. More effective and less dangerous than sprouting hands on a dangerous enemy, sprout hair over their face and mess them up. Well, if her hair is also cut, then is an emergency move as she could only do it a few times before having to go short haired for a few months.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Well on the topic if non-minks actually can use electro or not, be it with fur or not.
    We actually had McGuy "Thunder Lord" using an ability that looks a lot like electro under the Marineford arc.
    This guy had a lot of hair and a mustache that easily could be the explanation for why he could use this ability.
    It is not a confirmed usage of electro but it looks very similar....

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knuten View Post
    Well on the topic if non-minks actually can use electro or not, be it with fur or not.
    We actually had McGuy "Thunder Lord" using an ability that looks a lot like electro under the Marineford arc.
    This guy had a lot of hair and a mustache that easily could be the explanation for why he could use this ability.
    It is not a confirmed usage of electro but it looks very similar....
    I think that's just Oda really liking having a lot of his characters get lightning attacks the same way he really likes giving them fire attacks (Luffy, Zoro, Usopp, Sanji, and Franky have all had fire attacks at some point).

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Discovered Stowaway

I think that's just Oda really liking having a lot of his characters get lightning attacks the same way he really likes giving them fire attacks (Luffy, Zoro, Usopp, Sanji, and Franky have all had fire attacks at some point).
    Isn't Chopper actually more likely to be able to wield an electric attack than any other Mink in existence because his Guard Point exponentially increases how much hair he has? If we're just talking about density or surface area, he's got all of them beat (except, possibly, in that transformed state Carrot is in now...unless we're counting the giant Guard Point from post-Time Skip.)

I looked further into Kirin mythology and they often have hooves or antlers; I'd say Chopper's got a fair chance of trying to tap into the mythical side of his animal-ness and wielding some of that kind of power with this inspiration from the Minks. Certainly would give him a good end-of-series powerup to contend with the BB pirates. Certainly better to be able to use it with the Rumble Ball's reasonable limits than only every full moon.

That could easily be the explanation, but I think it is not out of the realm of explanations that he could have learned electro from the Minks.
    He uses electricicity in his weapon just as the minks do it.
    He is from the New World and we know for a fact that the Whitebeard pirates were on friendly terms with the minks.
    Though I do not think Oda ever will explain McGuys ability unless he gets a SBS question about it.
    But my point was more that if this guy could use something similar to electro, surely Chopper can learn it aswell.
    Personally I think Oda has been setting up Chopper to learn a martial art before he learns electro.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information