+ Reply to Thread
Page 1055 of 1055 FirstFirst ... 55 555 955 1005 1045 1053 1054 1055
Results 21,081 to 21,097 of 21097

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    People take for granted too much that "BB + his 10 captains" means the crew will end up Luffy + his 10 nakama. The strawhats fighting 1v1 against Blackbeard is a giant assumption by fans. Even if it did, we don't know who the 10 captains are and we don't know if any more will join. It's potentially red herring by Oda to keep people surprised if Oda decides to thrown in another member.
    It's unlike Oda to introduce a concept like 10 Titan Captains and in the end he goes "lol, there are 13 now".

Everybody assumes BB's 10 captains are all the people we've met before and possibly 1 more person. However, someone like Sanjuan Wolf might be given some other special status. He wasn't included very much into BB's activities at Marineford and I don't know if they'd really want to make him drown-able by giving him a DF.
    He is a Level 6 inmate that the WG wanted to everyone forget about it. THat's something.
    More over, in the One Piece Green Databook, Oda's has a rough outline of the BB crew consisting of Van Augur and what looks like 11 other figures. However, that does not include a giant as far as I can tell. San Juan Wolf is so big that I wonder if it'll end up a team-fight like Oars back in Thriller Bark.

Also if we're just talking about faces in the middle section at the bottom including the erased and scratched out ones, there's 13. The 3 on the left (one of them being early concept art for the giant character) and 10 on the right.
    There were like 2 Frankys in the concept art for the Straw Hat prototypes so they can't be used as a reliable source anyway.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Haki, good doctors, big mom has 50 years of his life on hand in a homie somewhere, full moon transformation, sun pirates in the area, he was blown away from the explosion, plenty of explanations.. or just go the Pell route and have him inexplicably simply tank it and give no further explanation just give him a scar later.

Lots of smoke, no body and no reliable witness means he's fine.

We'll see her whenever Oda gets around to the Dresserossa villains cover story. If Punk Hazard hadn't been so directly connected to that we would have had her confirmed alive 2 years ago.
    Can we agree though that the pell non explanation is the worst way too handle these things, when the franky pirates died at least paulie looked like he was up to something before hand, pound could have been saved by someone wielding a blade, the whole mr 2 got bailed out by blackbeard headcanon thats makes some kind of sense. The monet "death", law's stuntman etc
    Him living is indicative of oda's practices but that doesnt mean I have to treat all explanations as of the same quality
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

It's one of these behind the scenes things I'd like to learn about, but I still think Pell lacks any explanation because it was a last minute decision. After his "death" we've had Vivi and Igaram mourning, then a party and only then the reveal. Much different than what happened later with everyone* being revealed alive by the time party starts (Pagaya and the rest of Skypiea, G5 marines) or even before the climax (Franky family and co., Brownbeard). Add to it how thematically fitting it was and Alabasta being generally more bloody than most arcs in OP (in terms of minor character deaths) and it starts to look really weird.

EDIT: Also, I think that stuff having some logical explanation is only meaningful if the author is going to at least try to remain consistent with internal rules of his world. Something Oda was never attempting, always thinking cool/awesome/cute/funny scene happening is more important.

EDIT2: *rule doesn't apply to villains like Moria or Monet for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Koliber; December 15th, 2017 at 03:06 PM.
    All hail Machvise-sama, Arlong Park Character Tournament 2016 Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Koliber View Post
    It's one of these behind the scenes things I'd like to learn about, but I still think Pell lacks any explanation because it was a last minute decision. After his "death" we've had Vivi and Igaram mourning, then a party and only then the reveal. Much different than what happened later with everyone* being revealed alive by the time party starts (Pagaya and the rest of Skypiea, G5 marines) or even before the climax (Franky family and co., Brownbeard). Add to it how thematically fitting it was and Alabasta being generally more bloody than most arcs in OP (in terms of minor character deaths) and it starts to look really weird.

EDIT: Also, I think that stuff having some logical explanation is only meaningful if the author is going to at least try to remain consistent with internal rules of his world. Something Oda was never attempting, always thinking cool/awesome/cute/funny scene happening is more important.

EDIT2: *rule doesn't apply to villains like Moria or Monet for obvious reasons.
    Oda's pretty consistent except in this one department, if this attitude spread to all his writing he'd end up with a more creative and funnier version of fairy tail. Like imagine if luffy used the power of friendship and secret gear 5 to beat katakuri. Except keep oda's sense of humor and other things OP has over FT.

Spoiler:
    Though tbh a lot of people online at reddit and other forums have basically stated it would be a straight up fairy tail level asspull if luffy beat katakuri at all, but they kind of worship the yonko ajd see any faults in big mom as oda giving the strawhats plot armor, make the big mom pirates the most incompetent group in the series, et so there opinion isnt worth a lot...

I just generally like explanatiins as it makes it seem like the author had an idea where he was going and didnt change his mind the day after the last chapter, of course since we expect oda not to kill it should have some effort of "oh the secret trick was this" if what we see should be enough. Like someone getting stabbed or shot doesnt need an explanation but for huge bombs and all
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Oda's pretty consistent except in this one department
    Is he? Think of Luffy being hurt by regular people like Nami because Oda wanted to have this gag that badly (it took me a moment to understand what was wrong with Garp hurting Luffy in Water 7), Luffy knocking down Smoker and Ace (which to this day makes people doubt how logia works). You could say that it's just exaggeration for comedy, but than you have Sanji's nosebleed which becomes a plot point and so was the aforementioned Luffy/Garp encounter, so there is even no "meta" consistency. We also have Viola's whale ability which has nothing to do with her fruit aside of Oda wanting to make a pun or Doffy's clones which make no sense whatsoever. Or Trebol cut by Usopp scene. Oda simply doesn't care about things making sense.

Oda is pretty inconsistent with his powers, whether they are DFs or regarding Haki.
    You can generally make the distinction though between comedic scenes and "serious" scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It's unlike Oda to introduce a concept like 10 Titan Captains and in the end he goes "lol, there are 13 now".
    That's not what I said at all, especially considering one of the sketches was BB himself.

It's more like BB + 11 Titan captains (where 1 new one is introduced before EOS, possibly someone we know) + special member "Colossal Battleship" San Juan Wolf (future team fight).

I've seen some people suggest that if they do 1 v 1 fights it'll be between the same crew positions

Captain: BB vs Luffy
    Swordsman: Shiliew vs Zoro
    Navigator: Lafitte vs Nami
    Doctor: Doc Q vs Chopper
    Sniper: Van Augur vs Usopp
    Helmsman: Burgess vs Jinbe
    ...etc.

that perhaps
    "Ship": "Colossal Battleship" San Juan Wolf vs Thousand Sunny (team fight or possibly with some mecha transformation that Franky devised)

There no way SJW isn't one of the titans.

It will just be BB and the ten titans (which will be his crew, the ID escapees that joined which make 9 and the new person that would make 10) vs Luffy and the rest of the Strawhats (at the end that will match BB crew)

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Oda is pretty inconsistent with his powers, whether they are DFs or regarding Haki.
    You can generally make the distinction though between comedic scenes and "serious" scenes.
    In general, as in most cases, yeah. But the exceptions are sorta big. I mean, it's one thing when someone (Mr. 2?) kicks Sanji in his elongated eye, but it's something different if one of the first foreshadows of Color of Armaments (itself the biggest source of inconsistencies in the manga) is a scene of slapstick beating like dozens of others before complete with a comedy bump on the head or if a dramatic plot point which plays a major role in resolving years of fishman story build-up is introduced via character having a series of slapstick massive nosebleeds (BTW, I'm probably one of the handful people who liked it).

that perhaps
    "Ship": "Colossal Battleship" San Juan Wolf vs Thousand Sunny (team fight or possibly with some mecha transformation that Franky devised)
    There you have it. Franky will face SJW.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Koliber View Post
    In general, as in most cases, yeah. But the exceptions are sorta big. I mean, it's one thing when someone (Mr. 2?) kicks Sanji in his elongated eye, but it's something different if one of the first foreshadows of Color of Armaments (itself the biggest source of inconsistencies in the manga) is a scene of slapstick beating like dozens of others before complete with a comedy bump on the head or if a dramatic plot point which plays a major role in resolving years of fishman story build-up is introduced via character having a series of slapstick massive nosebleeds (BTW, I'm probably one of the handful people who liked it).
    Well, we are talking about consistency. Sanji losing blood due to being stimulated too much after going through hell for 2 years and it turning into a serious situation is in bad taste and not appropriate for the issue it tackles, but its fault is not really inconsistency per se, unless you are trying to point out how itīs the first time Oda turned an apparent gag into something serious but that would be describing it too broadly and too generally.

Other than that, the distinction between "joke" and "serious" and everything it might entail inverse, it still applies.
    Logias and Luffy with his rubber usually keep their abilities unless itīs for a comedic scene, at least iirc correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Well, we are talking about consistency. Sanji losing blood due to being stimulated too much after going through hell for 2 years and it turning into a serious situation is in bad taste and not appropriate for the issue it tackles, but its fault is not really inconsistency per se, unless you are trying to point out how itīs the first time Oda turned an apparent gag into something serious but that would be describing it too broadly and too generally.

Other than that, the distinction between "joke" and "serious" and everything it might entail inverse, it still applies.
    Logias and Luffy with his rubber usually keep their abilities unless itīs for a comedic scene, at least iirc correctly.
    What I meant with Sanji is it's hard to separate the "comedy" from "serious" if typical exaggerated comedy moment can become a plot point. And with Garp I mean that the scene with him apparently seriously hurting Luffy looked exactly like the ones when he isn't really hurt as it's just comedy. I remember that one because it was really confusing for me at the time, I literally forgot Luffy cannot be hurt and it being a slapstick scene didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    There you have it. Franky will face SJW.
    If I had to bet on Franky facing anyone it'd be Avalo Pizarro because of the metal arms that look like they could turn into gatling guns, kind of like Barret in FFVII.

SJW I would imagine would be Sunny's fight (maybe like a megazord) or a team fight.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Until the day Oda actually shows the majority of the Blackbeards fighting on-panel and what their actual powers and skills is, it's sitll way too much of a toss-up to really guess who is whatever Straw Hat's destined rival.

Discovered Stowaway K. Kira XXIII's Avatar

That's probably never going to happen, because then there is less suspense for the final fights. They might show further hints through their designs.

The main issue with San Juan Wolf is that he *should* fight at sea. That means the Sunny would have to participate which then makes it awkward to guess whom would be piloting the ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post

Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku

If I had to bet on Franky facing anyone it'd be Avalo Pizarro because of the metal arms that look like they could turn into gatling guns, kind of like Barret in FFVII.
    Pizarro is more likely a Drill Devil Fruit than a metalic arm.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

For what it's worth, the anime full-body design of him has it as metallic armbands.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information