+ Reply to Thread
Page 1187 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 187 687 1087 1137 1177 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1197 ... LastLast
Results 23,721 to 23,740 of 24064

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Yeah, hypnotism seems like the type of thing Oda would use to go for some dumb "look at how strong this character is" moment of resistance, like when Jinbe wasn't afraid of Big Mom.

Random note, I still don't care for how that random tenet in Big Mom's power exists. I know it sounds vaguely fairy tale-ish like how being shadowless means you get extinguished by sunlight, but it is obviously never going to affect anybody who isn't fodder compared to Big Mom. And it's still a weird rule since souls have nothing to do with specific emotions. But whatever.
    You're so scared that your soul left your body sounds like a saying.

But sure I personally hate the king haki and Big Mom's power because the first wouldn't work on Usopp or Blackbeard or Ace when I think it should work on at least 2 and the second wouldn't work on Sanji when I think it should. If your power is to knock out fodders don't give it another description.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Who said Teach had to get there first? He can get there right after the Straw Hats and then lay some kind of trap or ambush in typical Blackbeard fashion. It would be just like how Blackbeard entered Impel Down right after Luffy did and took unknowingly took advantage of the chaos Luffy already caused.

But anyways, I have an idea. One that I don't necessarily think Oda will do, but it is technically possible. We know that Kaido interrogated Oden for information about Raftel and the Void Century. We know that Usopp and Robin considered asking Rayleigh for the truths about the Void Century and One Piece. We know that Nekomamushi mentioned how big players seeking information about the Void Century may attempt to capture Robin for Poneglyph deciphering.

Given this established pattern of characters seeking information about Raftel, One Piece, and the Void Century from big players in the One Piece world, I can see Blackbeard potentially doing the same thing. And unlike everybody else, he succeeds. Why? Because he will go after the Red Hair Pirates, which fits in with how inevitable a Teach vs. Shanks fight is. And after Teach inevitably wins, Lafitte's hypnotism could be used on Shanks to reveal Raftel's location and its contents. He already used it on Marine soldiers to open the Gates of Justice for letting his crew Marineford, so it can be used for other cunning plot shenanigans by the Blackbeard Pirates.

My only problem with this theory I concocted is that I can't see Oda ever being comfortable enough with having Shanks be in such a vulnerable position of defeat. Every time Oda kills off a major mentor figure in this series, they always go out with confidence and dignity while standing up to a smug irredeemable villain. None of that merit is present in this scenario for Shanks. And I would not even blame Oda that much because it would be somewhat lame for Shanks to only amount as a plot device for Blackbeard's benefit that is thrown away after having his purpose served. And I have a feeling Shanks did not tell anybody else in his crew about the whats and whys of Raftel, but that is only an assumption.

Another possibility is that Blackbeard kidnaps Robin since Nekomamushi already foreshadowed that. But it would also feel underwhelming for Robin to get kidnapped AGAIN and for the crew to not be together when voyage to and embark on Raftel.

Stealing the Road Poneglyph gyotaku rubbings can work. I would like getting more payoff on that than being a convenient way for not lugging around huge Poneglyph blocks everywhere. But not on Wano. Preferably wherever the island with the fourth Road Poneglyph is. I bet it will be on Elbaf, which happens to be where I bet a Yonko war will happen given the likelihood that Big Mom and Shanks will appear there. It is also the longest foreshadowed island in the series after Raftel.

Vivre Cards can also work, but it's annoying that we still don't know exactly how they're made. I bet we might found out eventually, but that needs to happen before Blackbeard uses one. Otherwise, it feels cheap.
    Shanks has an encripted map. Blackbeard gets the map but before that Shanks learned that Luffy had already found the last clue and will beat Blackbeard to the destination.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

Yeah, hypnotism seems like the type of thing Oda would use to go for some dumb "look at how strong this character is" moment of resistance, like when Jinbe wasn't afraid of Big Mom.

Random note, I still don't care for how that random tenet in Big Mom's power exists. I know it sounds vaguely fairy tale-ish like how being shadowless means you get extinguished by sunlight, but it is obviously never going to affect anybody who isn't fodder compared to Big Mom. And it's still a weird rule since souls have nothing to do with specific emotions. But whatever.
    With the number of times I've seen people's souls leaving their body after something scary happened in various manga and anime, I think it's definitely "a thing" in Japan.

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    With the number of times I've seen people's souls leaving their body after something scary happened in various manga and anime, I think it's definitely "a thing" in Japan.
    I remember Nami doing it in the anime during Thriller Bark.

Hell, Brook did it when Luffy jumped off Zou.

Returning to the actual topic of this thread for a bit...

Here's a thing someone made. It's basically just a bigger version of my signature, but I'm leaving it here in this thread for posterity's sake and so it can be referred back to when discussing the validity of the lookout role and Carrot's claim to it.

We may now return to our regularly scheduled program of talking about Blackbeard being pirate king.

Purely coincidence

Here's a thing someone made. It's basically just a bigger version of my signature, but I'm leaving it here in this thread for posterity's sake and so it can be referred back to when discussing the validity of the lookout role and Carrot's claim to it.

https://i.imgur.com/xa0iQl5.png

We may now return to our regularly scheduled program of talking about Blackbeard being pirate king.
    Honestly I find it ridiculous that people even try to argue against it at this point. Regardless if she joins or not, her merits as lookout have been shown a million times.

Good work.

I would say her consistency as a lookout, not her merits.
    So far she has proven to be a lookout as good as anyone else could be, but her commitment to that position (or Oda's commitment to show her in that position) is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I would say her consistency as a lookout, not her merits.
    I'd say being able to jump half a mile into the air to get a better look at something counts as a merit.

Purely coincidence

Yeah if they keep with tradition, Carrot needs more an emotional backstory to be revealed before she would join. As it stands now, she just wasn't a good fighter at first. I admit watching your people wiped out by Jack is bad, but it doesn't quite fit the mold. That said, perhaps she will be the mold breaker.
    Life flows on. I'd just go with it if I were me.

I'd say being able to jump half a mile into the air to get a better look at something counts as a merit.
    That's a must have for a lookout since it allows her to quickly move from that position to the deck and back (the deck is where the group interactions happen all the time after all), sure. But still not quite what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ageless_Bum View Post
    Yeah if they keep with tradition, Carrot needs more an emotional backstory to be revealed before she would join. As it stands now, she just wasn't a good fighter at first. I admit watching your people wiped out by Jack is bad, but it doesn't quite fit the mold. That said, perhaps she will be the mold breaker.
    I still think it'll be reminscent of what Jinbe got, where it focuses more on her people as opposed to her being the central figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ageless_Bum View Post
    It should be noted that Usopp didn't have an extremely emotional backstory and neither Zoro or Robin (at the time she joined).

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWhite View Post
    It should be noted that Usopp didn't have an extremely emotional backstory and neither Zoro or Robin (at the time she joined).
    Um, yes, Zoro did. He flash backed to Kuina during near death experience right before Luffy saved his life. You might be thinking about the anime where Zoro's flashback got moved to before the Baratie and Luffy's backstory with Shanks is a flashback in episode 4 instead of episode 1 like in the manga. And Usopp's backstory got revealed at the very end of his arc, either on the chapter he joined or right after. Same with Brook. Are you trying to say Usopp's backstory isn't emotional just because it seems the least bad compared to everybody else? He still had to deal with naively believing his father would come back home, his mother dying from a sickness when he was young, and the trauma transforming him into a compulsive liar for attention. It's a lot more grounded than the usual exaggerated One Piece backstory, but it's still emotional in its own right.

Nami and Robin are the only ones who had delayed tragic backstories. But they're still full backstories. Carrot sees her mentor die and all we get is four or five panels right afterwards revealing for the first time that they even interacted back on Zou. And we know that Carrot has never left outside of Zou, so she doesn't have some secret tragic backstory related to a new antagonist group waiting on another island like with Nami, Robin, and Sanji. With what we've gotten so far in the backstory and dream department, it's been very halfassed. It can get elaborated on in the future, but man, Oda seriously dropped the ball on making me care about Carrot's backstory and relationship with Pedro.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Um, yes, Zoro did. He flash backed to Kuina during near death experience right before Luffy saved his life.
    I'm pretty sure YoungWhite knows that, he's just saying that the events on Zou and Pedro's death combined have about as much weight as the flashbacks of those three (at least when they joined). There's also an opportunity for a Jimbei-style flashback in Wano when she learns about "the dawn" where it would be more about the history than about Carrot.

Purely coincidence

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I'm pretty sure YoungWhite knows that, he's just saying that the events on Zou and Pedro's death combined have about as much weight as the flashbacks of those three (at least when they joined). There's also an opportunity for a Jimbei-style flashback in Wano when she learns about "the dawn" where it would be more about the history than about Carrot.
    The problem is that Zoro and Usopp only had short flashbacks because it was very early on in the series. And the context for Nami, Robin, and Sanji are different from whatever's happening with Carrot.

But yes, a Mink flashback about their overall history is possible in Wano Country. Especially when we still don't know why Inurashi and Nekomamushi got mad at each other.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Now I don't think Carrot is joining at all but if Carrot were to join I wonder if Oda realized she shares the same name as one of Usopp's original "pirate" mates?

I mean we've also got 2 Scotch's but still.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    if Carrot were to join I wonder if Oda realized she shares the same name as one of Usopp's original "pirate" mates?
    She actually doesn't. Her name is the English for the long pointy vegetable. Usopp's friend's name is the Japanese for the long pointy vegetable. This is only an issue for the viz translation where they translated his name into English.

Purely coincidence

Oh shit, we're back to talking about potential nakama now?
    I thought this was a Blackbeard becoming Pirate King thread?

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    Honestly I find it ridiculous that people even try to argue against it at this point. Regardless if she joins or not, her merits as lookout have been shown a million times.

Good work.
    ROFLMAO. Why is a lookout essential or even desirable, again? Or how is a Mink that much different from Chopper that it'd be worth dragging her around for the long haul? It's not a knock on Carrot, it's just the failure to check off the many boxes we usually have for potential nakama candidates. I like plenty of characters who haven't joined.

https://i.imgur.com/xa0iQl5.png

Did it show the panel where she totally dropped the ball and they got ambushed?
    Last edited by BattleFranky69; May 16th, 2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Did it show the panel where she totally dropped the ball and they got ambushed?
    During chapter 900? Time moved strangely during that chapter, so they could easily have seen that huge ship coming from the distance but couldn't do anything to prevent it from getting close and firing at them. A lot of events got skipped over that chapter.

Purely coincidence

I see plenty of room for a Carrot flashback if Oda ever desires. It probably won't be super tragic, unless something happened with her parents (which could be the case), but it could be about the invisible presence of the concept of the Dawn of the World in her upbringing while it now takes shape in her head as she inhirits Pedro's will. Well, I'm pretty sure that this theme will be addressed in the future, and considering how it is better tied to some minks in particular (Pedro and the dukes), Carrot is the best vessel alive to have witnessed the many events in which the concept can be unfolded to the readers in a flashback. The other possibility is that the concept will be explained directly from the dukes' perspective, but flashbacks are usually told from the perspective of the apprentice instead of the ones passing on the will.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information