Closed Thread
Page 1189 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 189 689 1089 1139 1179 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1199 1239 1289 ... LastLast
Results 23,761 to 23,780 of 26011

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Jimbe's still getting another flashback about his warlord years and getting his scar.
    You seem awfully certain about that. What makes you think that 1) we even need such a flashback, and 2) that we'll get it before he officially joins the crew?

Purely coincidence

He already joined the crew.

As for the second flashback, we don't need it, but we're certainly getting it. Oda left out his getting a scar for the entirety of his lifelong flashback. If it was just a cool meaningless battle scar Oda could have given that to him at any point during the timejumps, like Zoro, Mr. 1 or Smoker's scars, or wedged it in during the final conflict with Arlong, or when the Queen died, or anywhere really. It would have taken only a panel or two.

Instead, super unique lightning scar still unexplained up until after Jinbo became a warlord... the point prior to him meeting Ace or Whitebeard.

We don't know anything about why it's significant, except that Oda made it a point for him to not have it yet. It's not just a random design detail he could have picked up at any point. So who gives it to him and under what circumstances? That's a question Oda has left wide open.

So based on the scar alone, we're clearly getting more to his history. Add in the fact that he switched over to samurai clothes, shoes, and topknot and had his violent temper checked? There's absolutely something still to see from his past. Wano seems like a solid bet at this point.

Add in that Oda has said we'll be getting more of Ace in the Wano arc, it really seems a natural fit.

In that case its irrelevant to this conversation. Carrot hasn't joined the crew yet so she has tons of time for more development and flashbacks.

f it was just a cool meaningless battle scar Oda could have given that to him at any point during the timejumps
    We don't know anything about why it's significant, except that Oda made it a point for him to not have it yet.
    There's a timejump between the end of his flashback and his entrance in the manga. Taking his scar away for the flashback is an easy way to show that he was younger, man. You're reading way too much into this. At most, we might get a small flashback to him getting it in order to hype the person who gave it to him, but not an entire second multi-chapter backstory like Sanji got this arc.

Purely coincidence

No amount of time really can fix the issues with Carrot's bland character though.

Oda is capable of creating intriguing and interesting characters without spending that much on-screen time. Just look at Praline.

That applies to every single female character in the series. Ever.
    From Perona to Margarueite to Hancock to Caimie to rlong's sister to Shirahoshi to Viola to Pudding when she had a cameo and no lines of dialogue.... every girl gets debated endlessly. That means literally nothing.
    Lol, did you even read what I was saying. Then you'd seen the phrases "OP fans always jump into anything to be the next Strawhat" and "Of course this is not the reason why she will join".

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    No amount of time really can fix the issues with Carrot's bland character though.

Oda is capable of creating intriguing and interesting characters without spending that much on-screen time. Just look at Praline.
    Such a intriguing multi layered character!!! As I always say, you look at Praline and see the strings that tie the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    There's a timejump between the end of his flashback and his entrance in the manga. Taking his scar away for the flashback is an easy way to show that he was younger, man. You're reading way too much into this. At most, we might get a small flashback to him getting it in order to hype the person who gave it to him, but not an entire second multi-chapter backstory like Sanji got this arc.
    Then... why not give it to him at the end of the flashback when showing him being younger no longer means anything? Why not include that cool dramatic battle damange moment to make a moment sadder or more dangerous? To just leave it out entirely when there were decades to fit it in as a meaningless battle damage?

Surely it would be more meaningful if he took it while seperating from Arlong, or while failing to protect Fisher Tiger, or failing to save the queen. It's a design element that he has the rest of the series, that could have permanent power and meaning to it, the same as Luffy's scar trying to impress Shanks, Nami's tatoo, Chopper's broken horn, Franky's nose and chin, Brook's entire being a skeleton,now Sanji's eyebrows, or Zoro's chest scar. (And you can bet someday we'll get the story of his eye scar too beyond simple "training with Mihawk." There will have been a lesson there we're not supposed to know yet.)
    The meaning his tatoo already has.

Why would Oda take a perfectly good dramatic element tool and discard it to just not use it at all when it's already built into the narrative? When it would have only taken one panel to show "damage!" and then just have his eye bleed during the following tragic scene?
    Last edited by Robby; May 17th, 2018 at 04:02 AM.

As for the second flashback, we don't need it, but we're certainly getting it. Oda left out his getting a scar for the entirety of his lifelong flashback. If it was just a cool meaningless battle scar Oda could have given that to him at any point during the timejumps, like Zoro, Mr. 1 or Smoker's scars, or wedged it in during the final conflict with Arlong, or when the Queen died, or anywhere really. It would have taken only a panel or two.

Instead, super unique lightning scar still unexplained up until after Jinbo became a warlord... the point prior to him meeting Ace or Whitebeard.

We don't know anything about why it's significant, except that Oda made it a point for him to not have it yet. It's not just a random design detail he could have picked up at any point. So who gives it to him and under what circumstances? That's a question Oda has left wide open.

So based on the scar alone, we're clearly getting more to his history. Add in the fact that he switched over to samurai clothes, shoes, and topknot and had his violent temper checked? There's absolutely something still to see from his past. Wano seems like a solid bet at this point.

Add in that Oda has said we'll be getting more of Ace in the Wano arc, it really seems a natural fit.
    Agree on everything except that it's unique.

Inazuma has a similar scar.

Jinbe:
    Spoiler:

Inazuma:
    Spoiler:

The curve is the same, so it might be from the same person. Some right handed rapier swordsman or something like that?

They might be unrelated but I don't think Oda would draw them the same for nothing.

The scar flashback might happen when the one who gave it gets introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Jinbe is incredibly distinct though. Here's stuff you can tell simply though the surface.

* Unique facial features, such as jutting teeth, multicolored hair and bolt-shaped scar. This guy is obviously not a background character.
    Also bulbous nose, puffy goatee, top knot,swirly lion dog sideburns and eyebrows, and giant V-mouth chin.

Guy has 10 different distinct design elements in just his face.

Carrot... has Chopper's face with eyelashes. And no blue nose or old wounds or unique body shape. And came 15 years after Chopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Agree on everything except that it's unique.

Inazuma has a similar scar.
    This is fair. And Inazuma was introduced pretty much the same time, so that could totally be a thing.

Also, Inazuma is a perfect example of a design Oda can do in black and white that's different in color without him haing to draw any different. In the manga, Ina's colors are... black and white. But then in color it's orange and white.

Zero effort from Oda to make that distinction but its something that makes the character pop and stand out nicely.

Last week I saw this fanart of Carrot with typical rabbit teeth and, damn, I hated Oda for not giving her those. A simple and obvious detail that would completely turn her generic cute girl design into something way more interesting.

Not that I think that is detrimental to her chances as a SH (I already said I don't think the girls of the SH have designs anywhere as unique as the guys), but still...

So, what loot are we going to get out of the reverie directly for the strawhats?

I wonder if Robin left an ear or an eye or something with the revolutionaries, so they can summon her whenever, sure it should have popped when she was captured by Caesar or turned into a doll, but she could have left a fresh ones just at the end of Dressrosa.

One of the possible treasures of the World Goverment, the caché of phoneglyphs, where the stone of Ohara is bound to be, and any other stones they got their hands on, the revos getting a few rubbings or Robin getting there would be nice for the full picture of the history.

Next is Vivi, if she becomes wanted during this arc, then she's joining the crew. They are about to thread dangerous terrain there, the kind of path that turned Ohara into a crater.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post

The curve is the same, so it might be from the same person. Some right handed rapier swordsman or something like that?

They might be unrelated but I don't think Oda would draw them the same for nothing.

The scar flashback might happen when the one who gave it gets introduced.
    Isn't Niji the electro rapier guy?

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Next is Vivi, if she becomes wanted during this arc, then she's joining the crew.
    The chapter will be called The Fifth and a Half(th)?

Fifth and a half x2 is 11.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I support the fusion Vivirue for NN.

The only problem with vivi is her strength. Like whatever she did as princess for 2 years in albasta can't be equal to the crew training for 2 years for new world.

She would have to eat some broken fruit, or else she will drag them down in combat with the yonkous. And try not to stay close to nami in pictures.

She at least is more "agile" than Nami, as she did the crow nest jump as it was nothing.

Perfect for a lookout
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Then... why not give it to him at the end of the flashback when showing him being younger no longer means anything? Why not include that cool dramatic battle damange moment to make a moment sadder or more dangerous? To just leave it out entirely when there were decades to fit it in as a meaningless battle damage?
    The scar is quite a weird shape, so I bet it would have been hard to explain what weapon caused it. As someone else pointed out, Inazuma has an almost identical scar, and they were introduced at roughly the same time. It could be that at that point in the manga, Oda just liked that scar design, thought it looked cool and didn't put more thought into it than that.

The scar could easily just be a visual indicator that Jimbei's a veteran pirate and has been through a lot of shit. We don't even know for sure that Jimbei was slated to join the crew from the moment he entered the manga.

Purely coincidence

I think the vivi ship sailed long ago, but hey Oda surprises me a lot. As for Carrot, I will not go so far as to say she has a bland design, character, or fighting style personally. It is true that she is just another one of the minks, but away from the minks (which do not seem that common away from their island). She will be very unique in comparison. She already has a few unique ticks that are her own, so that is fine too.

Having said that, I just do not think she will be joining the crew. I am kind of inclined to believe that she will stay in wano when it is liberated as a mink envoy to the wano ruler. I know this is an odd thing to say because she has even less development than Carrot, but I could strangely see Wanda joining the crew over Carrot. In my mind she would just fit better. I will however admit that is just a personal opinion with absolutely no facts backing it.
    Life flows on. I'd just go with it if I were me.

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    The scar could easily just be a visual indicator that Jimbei's a veteran pirate and has been through a lot of shit. We don't even know for sure that Jimbei was slated to join the crew from the moment he entered the manga.
    There were plenty of hints, along with the fact that his name was dropped pretty early on, that he was gonna join the moment his design was shown.

This forum in itself has plenty of discussions with solid evidence as to why he would join even before Fishmen Island arc happened.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Such a intriguing multi layered character!!! As I always say, you look at Praline and see the strings that tie the universe.
    Praline's design is still miles better than Carrot.

If Oda wanted Carrot to be a SH-material, he would've put effort into making sure that she stands out. And currently, she doesn't. She can be in the manga for 100 or so more chapters, but it sure as hell isn't going to make her stand out in terms of personality, or design.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post

I swear people just make things up to justify stuff they want to believe. Carrot is one of the more unique females in one piece. That is a hard fact. From the way she acts with Luffy and Chopper, to her fearlessness, to her sense of adventure, to her obsession with carrots, to her Sulong ability, to her drawings. I could make a paragraph out of the last sentence of her unique traits if you want me to keep going.

Its absolutely ridiculous to make the statement that Praline is more unique at all, when all she's literally done has been in love with Aladdin the whole time and betrayed her mother. Oh and yeah, she sings. All of that is so unique. Yup.
    Last edited by Gia Sado; May 17th, 2018 at 08:58 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information