Closed Thread
Page 1190 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 190 690 1090 1140 1180 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1200 1240 1290 ... LastLast
Results 23,781 to 23,800 of 26011

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    I swear people just make things up to justify stuff they want to believe.
    Pretty much sums up this entire thread, especially a certain faction in here.

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Pretty much sums up this entire thread, especially a certain faction in here.
    Why is everyone always throwing shade in here

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Praline's design is still miles better than Carrot.

If Oda wanted Carrot to be a SH-material, he would've put effort into making sure that she stands out. And currently, she doesn't. She can be in the manga for 100 or so more chapters, but it sure as hell isn't going to make her stand out in terms of personality, or design.
    I had to check the dictionary to be sure that "intriguing" means what I suppose it does and... yes, the word means exactly what I thought. So are you serious that Praline is your standard for a intriguing minor character? Don't get me wrong, as far as background characters go, I adore Praline... but she barely got any characterization. Praline was just the wife willing to follow her husband despite her mother's threatening existance and that's it. Kinda badass considering she is Big Mom's daughter, but there's barely any effort put into portraying this situation beyond "I'll follow my husband anywhere, shashasha!!".

Carrot's concept is very earnest and straightforward, which doesn't leave much room for ambiguity and perplexity when we read her character, if that's what you mean when you complain that Carrot is not intriguing enough. However, there's actually effort put into her characterization regardless of how bland some people find her, not to mention that she went through a lot of different emotions throughout her journay alongside the Strawhats. That's what sets her apart, the most important part being that her own selfish decisions impact the plot, like deceiving the minks ir order to have an unplanned adventure with the Strawhats for no other narrative reason than having Carrot be there, a story in which she lost her mentor, helped when only she could have helped and strengthened her bonds with the crew in comical situation, in stressful situations and in emotional situations.

Christ, this is like Pedro/Monet situation again.

History does indeed tend to repeat itself in this thread.

OMG! Humanity never changes!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Christ, this is like Pedro/Monet situation again.

History does indeed tend to repeat itself in this thread.
    lool Monet
    The fact that people thought a person who was dedicated to Doflamingo, believed he would become PK, and willingly drugged children must have been delusional.

I might come off as delusional, too, but it's nice to see guys in this thread starting to shift their mentality as the arc progresses regarding Carrot, now starting to see she's not as completely irrelevant as others claimed her to be. She hasn't done much to push her presence to be known, but she has had some shining moments here and there, so I expect Wano to be her true character test. If you all feel she's just as underwhelming as she was when we were introduced to her, then I can't really fault you.

I do have faith that Oda wouldn't waste this opportunity to do something with Carrot's adventurous mentality and curiosity as well as mysterious background if he was going to throw that all away on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ageless_Bum View Post
    but I could strangely see Wanda joining the crew over Carrot. In my mind she would just fit better. I will however admit that is just a personal opinion with absolutely no facts backing it.
    How do you see Wanda as a better fit for the crew? I really want to understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    lool Monet
    The fact that people thought a person who was dedicated to Doflamingo, believed he would become PK, and willingly drugged children must have been delusional.
    Was this actually a widely held belief, or was it all just memes?

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post

Was this actually a widely held belief, or was it all just memes?
    I wish it was a meme, but no. There were-and still are-people who believe that Monet would join and be the crew's astronomer (based off of one of the SBS of the Donquijote Family drawn as children).
    Somehow there are people who believe Monet could join, but not Carrot.

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    How do you see Wanda as a better fit for the crew? I really want to understand this.
    No point in even asking them lol. They probably just prefer dogs over rabbits because Wanda hasn't done jack yet people make arguments over X character simply because they like a character design.

Carrot isn't just an appealing design to people like her. She has like 50 different merits for being in the crew:

- Constantly seen in the lookout/perching
    - Extremely goofy and adventurous, which completely goes against most of Oda's serious or scared female characters
    - Absolutely vicious when provoked, something you actually don't see in OP at all.
    - LITERALLY got Pedro's dream passed on to her. This part I can't stress enough. Chapters have been dedicated to this moment. It will come up again especially if Pedro is dead permanently.
    - Has a completely unique fighting style when compared to everyone else on the crew (and no, im not talking about electricity attacks. Luffy, Sanji, Usopp and Franky all use fire attacks. Also, her electricity attacks are colored entirely different from Nami's). She's nimble, quick and actually pretty strong compared to a decent chunk of the strawhats.
    - Every crew dynamic she has had has been extremely natural. She acts like the ship is her home already.

I honestly will never get when people who don't like Carrot can compare her to Monet, Rebecca, Vivi, Pudding, and Perona among others. She's interacted with the crew way better than Vivi has at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    No point in even asking them lol. They probably just prefer dogs over rabbits because Wanda hasn't done jack yet people make arguments over X character simply because they like a character design.

Carrot isn't just an appealing design to people like her. She has like 50 different merits for being in the crew:

- Constantly seen in the lookout/perching
    - Extremely goofy and adventurous, which completely goes against most of Oda's serious or scared female characters
    - Absolutely vicious when provoked, something you actually don't see in OP at all.
    - LITERALLY got Pedro's dream passed on to her. This part I can't stress enough. Chapters have been dedicated to this moment. It will come up again especially if Pedro is dead permanently.
    - Has a completely unique fighting style when compared to everyone else on the crew (and no, im not talking about electricity attacks. Luffy, Sanji, Usopp and Franky all use fire attacks. Also, her electricity attacks are colored entirely different from Nami's). She's nimble, quick and actually pretty strong compared to a decent chunk of the strawhats.
    - Every crew dynamic she has had has been extremely natural. She acts like the ship is her home already.

I honestly will never get when people who don't like Carrot can compare her to Monet, Rebecca, Vivi, Pudding, and Perona among others. She's interacted with the crew way better than Vivi has at this point.
    Honestly, she doesn't feel much different from Kin'emon.

-He fit the crew very well too, forming a swordsman trio with Zoro and Brook as well as pervert trio with Sanji and Brook. His interactions were very natural as well.
    -Hailed from the incredibly hyped Wano.
    -Fire swordsmanship that contrasts with Brook.
    -Several gags involving Samurai honor.
    -Fun Devil Fruit.

I remember people making good arguments for Kin'emon. He also fits the DF number theory, while Carrot does not.

Point is, she is bland. For starters, we have a completely uncreative name. And no standout features of her own, as far as Minks come. Her design just takes too much cues from Chopper, which hurts her capacity to stand out among the crew.

There's also the fact that she doesn't have a deep backstory (and considering how isolated Minks are, it doesn't look like she has much to come up with). While Jinbe did have his dream passed to him, we actually got to see him being relevant in the flashback, interacting with key figures like Arlong and dealing with consequences from Tiger and Otohime's death. Everything we know about Carrot's past is regarding her paws. She also doesn't bond with Luffy the same way Jinbe did after the war. And bonding with Luffy is essential, as everybody did it in their introductory arcs.

And no, having colored thunder doesn't change anything (especially because it's an anime-only thing). That's just a dumb argument. You also can't compare the crewmembers that use fire when only one of them uses it regularly, while others have only have a specific move dealing with them. Fact is that Carrot's moveset is dependent of Electro (as it is the main way Minks fight and she has only showed two techniques, all involving it) and that overlaps with Nami, who now just became more associated with lightning due to Zeus being in her arsenal.
    Last edited by King Cannon; May 17th, 2018 at 05:00 PM.

Carrot has had a lot of panel time for someone who was essentially a background character during Zou and only really a side character for WCI arc.

Good storytelling often relies on removing unnecessary elements and Chekov's rule often dictates that unused introduced elements will be used at some point.

Carrot didn't have any prior connection to WCI but she tagged along anyway. If Oda intended to only bring Carrot along to show off Sulong then Oda would have scrapped Carrot and made Pedro transform instead. If Oda wanted the readers to feel the weight of Pedro's sacrifice he didn't need to bring Carrot along to do that.

Thinking of Post-TS characters most major arc characters/allies fall into 2 categories ones that are known to be relevant to the arc story or ones whose relevance is later revealed. An example of the former would be someone like Rebecca whose relation to the arc's story is clear from the get-go. An example of the latter would be someone like Pedro whose connection to Big Mom we don't find out until later.

Post-TS, the only 2 characters that come to mind that play a semi-significant role in the arc plot but not relevant to the arc story would be Cavendish and Bartolomeo. I don't think that detracts from Carrot's case but rather strengthens it. Cavendish and Barto had no prior connection to Dressrosa's story but Oda put them in the arc anyway and they ended up becoming members of Grand Fleet.

At the very least, everyone should recognize that she's a rare nakama candidate to have both a recurring role and to be featured in an arc outside of her story thread.

There's also a matter of timing. How many people in this thread actually believe that after Wano arc someone completely new will be introduced and join the crew? I'd even go as far as to say that I'm skeptical of anyone from Wano even joining the crew at this point.

Carrot is candidate #1 after Jinbe. I just don't buy into anyone suggesting Carrot was brought along to WCI arc to "hype the minks" or "just because". If he wanted to accomplish those things he could have done so with Pedro and scrapped Carrot from WCI altogether but he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    Carrot has had a lot of panel time for someone who was essentially a background character during Zou and only really a side character for WCI arc.

Good storytelling often relies on removing unnecessary elements and Chekov's rule often dictates that unused introduced elements will be used at some point.

Carrot didn't have any prior connection to WCI but she tagged along anyway. If Oda intended to only bring Carrot along to show off Sulong then Oda would have scrapped Carrot and made Pedro transform instead. If Oda wanted the readers to feel the weight of Pedro's sacrifice he didn't need to bring Carrot along to do that.

Thinking of Post-TS characters most major arc characters/allies fall into 2 categories ones that are known to be relevant to the arc story or ones whose relevance is later revealed. An example of the former would be someone like Rebecca whose relation to the arc's story is clear from the get-go. An example of the latter would be someone like Pedro whose connection to Big Mom we don't find out until later.

Post-TS, the only 2 characters that come to mind that play a semi-significant role in the arc plot but not relevant to the arc story would be Cavendish and Bartolomeo. I don't think that detracts from Carrot's case but rather strengthens it. Cavendish and Barto had no prior connection to Dressrosa's story but Oda put them in the arc anyway and they ended up becoming members of Grand Fleet.

At the very least, everyone should recognize that she's a rare nakama candidate to have both a recurring role and to be featured in an arc outside of her story thread.
    Again, Kin'emon.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Again, Kin'emon.
    Kinemon has never been featured in an arc beyond the Wano saga/storythread. He was barely featured in Dressrosa. Characters like Diamante and Don Chinjao were given more panel time than him.

Carrot has almost been give almost as much focus in 2 years as Kinemon has had in the 6 years since his introduction.

Unlike Carrot, Kinemon has never boarded the ship just to go on some fun adventure irrelevant to the Wano saga.

Kinemon has never been featured in an arc beyond the Wano saga/storythread. He was barely featured in Dressrosa. Characters like Diamante and Don Chinjao were given more panel time than him.

Carrot has almost been give almost as much focus in 2 years as Kinemon has had in the 6 years since his introduction.

Unlike Carrot, Kinemon has never boarded the ship just to go on some fun adventure irrelevant to the Wano saga.
    Which doesn't really change anything. Your arguments can all be reasonably used for Kin'emon without coming up with "oh, but when it's done this way, it's different".

And I'm pretty sure Carrot's relevance was mostly to drive the point home about the WCI arc being an Alice in Wonderland parody.

Which doesn't really change anything. Your arguments can all be reasonably used for Kin'emon without coming up with "oh, but when it's done this way, it's different".

And I'm pretty sure Carrot's relevance was mostly to drive the point home about the WCI arc being an Alice in Wonderland parody.
    Then Oda could have redesigned Pedro into a rabbit if it mattered.
    Pedro's presence in the arc makes the addition of Carrot unnecessary and redundant unless Oda was -- and in all likelihood is -- having her join the crew.

Kinemon is not as good a counterexample as you make him out to be.

Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, Zou all have connections to the Wano storyline. Kinemon has never been featured in an arc beyond the Wano story.

Carrot had no real reason to come to WCI but she did anyone, giving her "breathing room" in the story.

These aren't weird rules, they're tried-and-true principles of good storytelling.

Again, Kin'emon.
    Kin'emon, a man who was in Punk Hazard to look for his "son", and then proceeded to Dressrosa to rescue his fellow companion?

From Punk Hazard to Zou, all Kinnemon ever did was to pursue his own goals. He did have some nice interactions with the crew, most comical, but he never strayed away from his plot instead of being a free character to flap his wings and fly higher flights. He was there throughout Dressrosa while the country was burning down and he did nothing beyond finding Kanjurou. That's why he's not really comparable with Carrot, whose actions were put in the same standard of the rest of the crew during WCI as if she were a crew member.

Point is, she is bland. For starters, we have a completely uncreative name. And no standout features of her own, as far as Minks come. Her design just takes too much cues from Chopper, which hurts her capacity to stand out among the crew.
    This is the point indeed. People think she is bland and that's why they don't entertain the idea of Carrot joining. Her design is not too much like Chopper other than being furry, rather just more of the standard OP shonen-face with her own quirks to it.

There's also the fact that she doesn't have a backstory. While Jinbe did have his dream passed to him, we actually got to see him being relevant in the flashback, interacting with key figures like Arlong and dealing with consequences from Tiger and Otohime's death. Everything we know about Carrot's past is regarding her paws. She also doesn't bond with Luffy the same way Jinbe did after the war.
    And Carrot can't get a flashback in the future?

Anyway... Jimbe was very secondary in Fisher Tiger's flashback and we didn't even get a proper scene of him inhiriting his captain's will. Jimbe did that on his own by reason alone with a little bit of inspiration. I don't see whatever was his relevancy to the events in that flashback other than showing to the reader what was Jimbe's background to strengthen his character. Everything in the presentation of his background was out of the norm of the previous Strawhats... not that I think that any of this goes against Jimbe's writing, since I think he's a phenomenal character and fully apt to be a Strawhat.

No other Strawhat had a stronger bond with Luffy than Jimbe before joining.

And no, having colored thunder doesn't change anything (especially because it's an anime-only thing). That's just a dumb argument. You also can't compare the crewmembers that use fire when only one of them uses it regularly, while others have only have a specific move dealing with them. Fact is that Carrot's moveset is dependent of Electro (as it is the main way Minks fight and she has only showed two techniques, all involving it) and that overlaps with Nami, who now just became more associated with lightning due to Zeus being in her arsenal.
    Really, man? Carrot fights with kicks and punches and mid-air jumps and a lot of visual stunts.

Remember that scene when Nami was speedblitizing her enemies while drop kicking and biting them, then she did a reverse rotating backflip? Neither do I.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; May 17th, 2018 at 05:47 PM.

Then Oda could have redesigned Pedro into a rabbit if it mattered.
    Pedro's presence in the arc makes the addition of Carrot unnecessary and redundant unless Oda was -- and in all likelihood is -- having her join the crew.

Kinemon is not as good a counterexample as you make him out to be.

Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, Zou all have connections to the Wano storyline. Kinemon has never been featured in an arc beyond the Wano story.

Carrot had no real reason to come to WCI but she did anyone, giving her "breathing room" in the story.

These aren't weird rules, they're tried-and-true principles of good storytelling.
    We know how Oda does stuff. I've been reading One Piece for 12 years.

And this is why I don't think Carrot is really joining. There's a lot going against her based on design principles Oda follows. Her issue is not what she does, but what she is.

Sure she does have roles and talents, but again, Oda is not actually trying hard with her.
    Last edited by King Cannon; May 17th, 2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Really, man? Carrot fights with kicks and punches and mid-air jumps and a lot of visual stunts.
    She fights more with teeth and claws than with kicks and punches.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

WCI had Randolph to fill that position if it was so necessary.

Purely coincidence

etc.

etc.
    I really like these posts. Obviously, I agree with fapfapfap (feels wrong writing this) in this matter, but both posts bring good points.

As for the arguments also working for Kin'emon, not really. The point fapfapfap (...) is trying to make is that Carrot serves zero purpose being on WCI except getting herself screen time, she is only there for the sake of being exposed as a character. Kin'emon is directly related to the all the Wano storyline and conducted us through it as Momonosuke's guide until he passed the torch to the little kid revealing he was the real relevant character in there (and that only happened at Zou, after Kin'emon slowly progressed to this point going more and more to the back line as "one of the samurai warriors") - and, as FFF (!) pointed out, his participation is strictly connected to the arcs that lead to Wano.

Carrot's case could be explained if she turns out to be the traitor mink helping Kaido, I don't know how much room we have for that to happen (it's clear she is not "evil", but I suppose Oda could work out a way to justify her helping him). But unless that's where we are going from, all the space and time invested on her seems to serve only the purpose of getting us acquainted to her and nothing else - she is not a plot device/character as Kin'emon, means to an end.

EDIT: Damn, I was reading the two posts and writing my answer at the commercial breaks of the show I was watching and 30 new posts were made in the meantime.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; May 17th, 2018 at 05:58 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information