Closed Thread
Page 1246 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 246 746 1146 1196 1236 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1256 1296 ... LastLast
Results 24,901 to 24,920 of 26011

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sugeeking View Post
    You are seriously telling me that Shift restarted the whole Carrot for NN movement? Not sure if you are trolling, honestly. I wasn't in AP then but I have been in several other communities. Carrot has been a very established candidate for a long while.

This is like people believing that the whole movement started after chapter 888 because a lot of people jumped in back then. Of course the theory gets more popular when certain events happen. That doesn't mean it didn't exist in the first place.
    Ok, I'm gonna elaborate further. There was some miscommunication, I guess. I have never said that Shift started the whole "Carrot for NN" movement. I also should mentioned I was talking about this thread specifically.

In one of earlier post, I mentioned Carrot was suggested way back in 2015 when she was appeared. A mixture of being a mink, did something cool against Zoro & being a girl. I wouldn't exactly call her a candidate back then since there wasn't any serious argument back then. But she was a serious candidate for some.

As Zou arc progressed, she become out of focus so the NN movement start to died down. When she revealed to be on board the Sunny, it picked up again. As WCI arc progress, it starts to die out. There were less posts suggesting her as NN.

The chapter that Pedro blew himself up, Shift's post lead to a debate regarding Carrot chances which lead to more debates that spanned 200+ pages in this thread.

-----------------------
    It seem you wrote a new post while I writing this one...
    I mean, to better clarify. The "Carrot for nakama" theories have existed for very long. What you are pointing here is the occurrence of certain events that further push the theory, create new discussion and make new people join in. This happens with every candidate, it's not exclusive of Carrot. The narrative introduces new traits or situations and that allows to theorise and/or convince more people. But your belief that "Carrot was just forgotten until" that you seem to be applying here makes no sense. It's about as simple as, if there is new information, there are more things to talk about, more people will consider the idea and the debate will be revived.

Now that we are in Wano for instance, I expect the old theories of Kinemon or Momonosuke for nakama to have a comeback. That's only normal because in order to keep the discussion fresh we need to take into account recent manga events. Otherwise it's just repeating reasons and discussions in an endless cycle.
    That's true.
    I was just pointing out that Shift's post most definitely contribute to Carrot for NN discussion here. Nobody really talks about the "whole Pedro blowing up" thing until that post.

Kinemon & Momo for NN will definitely come back again in Wano arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    So we're going down this rabbit hole again.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

So... No O-Tama for new crewmate movement yet? She has the dream of becoming a kunoichi
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    Isn't the 'successive members joining" quote a reference to the strawhat grand fleets?
    Probably not. Luffy's use of the term "nakama" only been used to refer to his crew members and Law.

The interview or Q&A was midway thru Dressrosa arc, and Oda stated that the new nakama would "appear successively", long after we were introduced to everyone at the coliseum.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also this chapter is titled "Great Adventure" so we're probably going to be spending A LOT more time with Carrot. I pretty much see Wano arc being her "Enies Lobby". By the time the arc ends, she'll have been a "temporary" member for at least 200+ chapters (WCI and Wano combined).

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    So... No O-Tama for new crewmate movement yet? She has the dream of becoming a kunoichi
    She can be the next cook. She doesn't even need suplies or an oven, clearly much better than Sanji who should be fired any time now.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post

Also this chapter is titled "Great Adventure" so we're probably going to be spending A LOT more time with Carrot. I pretty much see Wano arc being her "Enies Lobby". By the time the arc ends, she'll have been a "temporary" member for at least 200+ chapters (WCI and Wano combined).
    ye, but while she'll just be around, Drake, Apoo, Hawking and Kidd are getting much more focus.

Pekoms made an appearance in Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, Zou and Tottoland. Forget about Carrot. He is the main character of Post Time Skip One Piece.
    All praise our lord Pekoms, master of the lion turtle one hit flowing swamp fist school.

Then Pedro died and now suddenly she is going to the main character. After 70+ chapters of just being a supporting characters.
    You can't blame people for not taking it seriously.
    When she suddenly ticks two nakama boxes in one chapter, yes you can be blamed for not taking it seriously. You don't have to buy it, but you do have to consider it. Dead mentor + a reason to stay with the crew after the arc is over is not something someone can just brush away with "you're just saying that because you like the bunny tits".

There could have been some posts suggesting Carrot as lookout but nobody really insisted on it.
    But after Pedro blew himself up, Carrot as the lookout gained a lot of traction & mentioned more frequently.
    There was as much evidence of Carrot being a lookout as there was of Jimbei being a helmsman at that point in the story. And thus we were able to predict exactly what they would do on the ship during the escape from WCI.

Purely coincidence

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

Whatever happens in Wano, this thread is going to be filled in no time with hundreds of new pages.

Like I suggested, the Mods should think about a new one.

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    She's 8. And given the naming, likely going to be tied into Momo's story.

I'm sure people will go on about her anyway, but, no boobs, no obsessives.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Black Hole View Post
    Whatever happens in Wano, this thread is going to be filled in no time with hundreds of new pages.

When there's actually some legit new thing to talk about. Otherwise this thread doesn't get the respect of a new thread just for going long, given that its all regurgitation of the same thing anyway.

Shanks: whoa there luffy you're too young, A 7 year old cant be a pirate. Now if you were 8 that's another story.

I hope there isnt a " well this new person cant join " after every new person in wano. Rampant optimism can be annoying but rampant pessismism for no real reason is worse.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Black Hole View Post

The mods should have made a new one after the grand fleet became a thing.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    I hope there isnt a " well this new person cant join " after every new person in wano. Rampant optimism can be annoying but rampant pessismism for no real reason is worse.
    Nah. There was just so much stock put into a kunoichi joining during this entire thread that now that one has shown up, it needed to be addressed.

Purely coincidence

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Just spitballing here....but what if the new crewmate is indeed joining at Wano, but *isn't* a native? Like a member of the Beast Pirates who was pressganged into it and wants to get out, but something holds them back (The fate of a friend or two?) and is a decent person.

I doubt it, but it would be a big curveball.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Just spitballing here....but what if the new crewmate is indeed joining at Wano, but *isn't* a native? Like a member of the Beast Pirates who was pressganged into it and wants to get out, but something holds them back (The fate of a friend or two?) and is a decent person.

That would add yet an other plot thread into an already stuffed arc.

Purely coincidence

The chapter that Pedro blew himself up, Shift's post lead to a debate regarding Carrot chances which lead to more debates that spanned 200+ pages in this thread.
    Spoiler:

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post

So what you're saying is Ginrummy is gonna join?
    Spoiler:

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

I wonder if she and Sheepshead are still alive, come to think of it.

I hope not she sounds like a grandma in the anime.

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    Yeah, because she will get the same rate of screen time in an arc where

1. All of the Strawhat Members will appear again and play a role (not just a half), while Oda felt the need to split them for the first arcs of the New World, likely because he would have had problems giving everyone not enough moments to shine
    2. Not tons, but tons and tons and tons and tons of side characters will play a role in an arc which is clearly set up to be even much longer than WCI
    3. Many of her fellow Mink, like you know, the actual Mink Leaders Nekomamushi and Inuarashi are going to be there and will compete with her when it comes to screentime
    4. The whole structure of the arc is completely different from "Small group of 6 people (on which there is the possibility of more in-depth focus) goes on an infiltration mission into a Yonkou's territory and hopes to get out unscathed". Instead we have "All of the crew plays a role in a massive world-changing War-thing which hasn't happened since Marineford and where Oda apparently plans to throw in as many New World Plotlines as possible and will not end this arc until many of them are resolved in the most epic way possible".

Does this sound like Oda will just spill over his arc structure from WCI (in which the focus was naturally much on Carrot as part of the infiltration grup) to Wano? I expect not, though.

We haven't seen Law, who was a constant from Punk Hazard 'til Zou, in our first look at Wano either. Probably since Oda gave him so much screentime in these arcs that he will siginificantly tone down his role here. I expect the same with Carrot and predict that the time where she had the most screentime (yeah, I'm repeating that damn word too often ) is already over.
    Last edited by Big Black Hole; July 12th, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

Yeah Enies Lobby is a pretty huge standard there. For carrot's role to be equivalent to Robin in EL that would basically mean she would have to be more fleshed out in this arc than every other strawhat in their joining arc. I just don't think we have the time and even if we did I dont think said time is even necessary for her to be a strawhat. That might be setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Last edited by Long John Silvers Rayleigh; July 12th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    When she suddenly ticks two nakama boxes in one chapter, yes you can be blamed for not taking it seriously. You don't have to buy it, but you do have to consider it. Dead mentor + a reason to stay with the crew after the arc is over is not something someone can just brush away with "you're just saying that because you like the bunny tits".

There was as much evidence of Carrot being a lookout as there was of Jimbei being a helmsman at that point in the story. And thus we were able to predict exactly what they would do on the ship during the escape from WCI.
    Hey I got a real challenge for you.
    This is the biggest one, ready?

Imagine we're a bunch of nine year old boys who love reading One Piece and seeing Luffy's awesome adventures, and people getting punched.
    Not every position Oda has introduced to the crew is exciting to us at first, but he makes it work.
    Helmsman? Us nine year old boys didn't care.... UNTIL HE WAS SHIP SURFING IN A GIANT WAVE. COWABUNGA!
    Musician? Eh, I guess the skeleton man plays some fun songs.... BUT WHOOOA MUSIC ATTACKS!!!
    Shipwright? Who cares about a mechanic? .... ROBOT GUNDAM BODY???? WHOAAA.
    Archaeologist? Yawwwwn. .... MAJOR EVIL GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACIES INVOLVING ASSASSINS AND SEALED APOCALYPTIC WEAPONS???? RADICAL.

And so on and so forth.

So then, Avocadointherain. Your task is to sell us, the nine year old boys hyped up on sugar, the apparently exciting and swashbuckling role of "Lookout".

Excite me.
    Go.

Closed Thread

Thread Information