+ Reply to Thread
Page 1249 of 1260 FirstFirst ... 249 749 1149 1199 1239 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1259 ... LastLast
Results 24,961 to 24,980 of 25193

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

I've said it a couple times in this thread but I think Carrot as Lookout would be useful in deciding tactical maneuvers. She never seems to get any praise for the fact that she managed to disable an enemy Yonko fleet, a great move, and even more so for someone who has never ventured outside of Zou or has ever been out at sea before (Something she was praised for by the crew!). The alternative move that the Strawhat's were considering was going to put them at risk of being sunk.

Oda did say that the series would feature more naval battles in the future. Carrot being the Lookout would be a tactical asset in future battles.

How about a sonar operator? Bonus points if they have echolocation. There's Jinbe but he's too busy disappearing for months at a time and trying to die.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ーī)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    How about a sonar operator? Bonus points if they have echolocation. There's Jinbe but he's too busy disappearing for months at a time and trying to die.
    We're talking about a pirate manga, right? I know one piece has schitzo-tech, but there's still a theme going on.

Purely coincidence

I mean it's basically a glorified specialized lookout, and you can even call it a lookout, and they can expand to radar stuff and whatnot, but with more potential since they can then go on to detecting ayyliens when they travel to the moon and play that role that's on like every fictional warship screaming out the enemies approaching them. And it would invalidate Carrot because all she can do is jump. But she apparently still needs to hang on to a jumping Sanji just to get from the ship to land.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ーī)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Everything in One Piece is about convenience... nothing is necessary or unnecessary until Oda decides to make a point out of it in a given moment... and that's the rule under which the lookout of the Strawhats would operate.

The only sort of lookout that I imagine Oda placing would be someone plot relevant and with skills akin or close to Viola's.

That's why it is interesting to learn what exactly, or more like, how exactly does the third eye work. It is a tribe connected to Raftel.

Getting to the crow's nest fast does not have enough wow factor. And jumping really high, as much as it serves to look farther away, does not improve the level of detail one can see.

Lile going on a pla ne, you can see far, but cannot distinguish things.

So if Carrot is in the nest using binoculars, her jumping would not help, as she would not be able to distinguish things properly.

Now if she had a specialized binocular, with several different zooms. That would be interesting. And worthy to talk about.

Her getting to the crow's nest fast, isn't even that impressive when Robin can just make a clone immediately up there. Besides the other ways the current Straw Hats could achieve the feat. Ways that are visually more interesting to draw, than....jump high.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    The only sort of lookout that I imagine Oda placing would be someone plot relevant and with skills akin or close to Viola's.
    Someone who can actually see from miles away, possesses X-ray vision to look into people's souls, and can make giant whales from their eyeballs? Why yes, that would be the one way to make lookout interesting.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    She never seems to get any praise for the fact that she managed to disable an enemy Yonko fleet,
    Because she can only do that once a month, CHopper was about to do the same thing, Brook DID do the same thing, had Sanji been there he would have crossed the same distances, and had Luffy, Zoro, Franky or Usopp been there they would have more readily dealt with the problem with their skill sets. We've see Zoro is capable of casually slicing ships in half from a distance now, and Usopp has his long distance gunnery skills. Even Robin who isn't really a fighter could also make a clone on their ships to wreck their steering and... scout the enemy..

And then, after Carrot did her thing, she was immediately asked if the leaders of Zou could do the same thing, and then she was unconscious for the next twenty chapters while the rest of the crew held off Big Mom. Like Brook running on water and cutting her minions in half while asking to see her panties, Nami summoning a giant lightning bolt and stealing one of her minions away entirely, Chopper turning Monster Point to fight, Jinbe just straight up punching her away, Sanji making a giant super cake that saved the entire kingdom from Mom's rampage, and had their times to shine. Including Jinbe's big wave riding THIS IS WHAT A HELMSMAN CAN DO chapter.

She did a cool thing, sure. For one chapter out of the 100 she's been in. Germa did a similar cool thing multiple times, and they are assholes. One of them saved Luffy from poison at the start of the arc, and they had cool warrior suits complete with sentai transformation sequence, and they took out a ton of mooks themselves and also saved everyone including Luffy and Sanji. And what about Bege? WHo turned into a giant castle and withheld Mom's attacks, protected his entire crew, had the plan to defeat BM, had a lot of cute moments with his kid, and delivered the cake that was desperately needed to distract Big Mom? Brulee who was one of the enemy helped out immeasurably with her mirror teleports. Even Ceaser contributed in places, and he has no loyalty at all. Hell, even Katakuri, who was fighting Luffy to the death for a dozen chapters, helped out by refusing to let others also fight Luffy and by not using his full power until after Luffy had adjusted to it.

So yes, she did a cool thing.... while everyone else was also doing cool things and half the crew was missing.

But it was not a unique thing, ( Pekoms did the same cool thing to help Luffy escape an impossible situation and sacrificed himself. ) and we will be seeing many others do it in this very next arc. At the very very least we'll be seeing the two leaders do it, and I'll be amazed if we don't also get Sulong form Wanda, and I have to imagine we'll be seeing many many more than just that doing it.
    Last edited by Robby; July 12th, 2018 at 07:24 PM.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

I do think the most adamant Carrot supporters have to admit that IF she actually is joining, Oda has not done a good job of it at all compared to Jinbei.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    I do think the most adamant Carrot supporters have to admit that IF she actually is joining, Oda has not done a good job of it at all compared to Jinbei.
    It will depends how great she does this arc since Jimbei wow moment came in this arc where he semi-joined and Carrot joining would be in Wano.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post

Viola's fruit is completely broken for a lookout. But why is it only the lookout position that has such absurdly high standards? Chopper doesn't have Law's broken doctor fruit, and Brook doesn't have Apoo's broken musician fruit. Both are good at what they do, but they aren't absolute gods of their fields like Viola would be as a lookout.

Lile going on a pla ne, you can see far, but cannot distinguish things.

Now if she had a specialized binocular, with several different zooms. That would be interesting. And worthy to talk about.
    I'm pretty sure normal binoculars have zoom functions. The ones my dad bought for $15 do at least. Also, seeing over the horizon isn't the only advantage of jumping high. You can see over obstacles too.

Her getting to the crow's nest fast, isn't even that impressive when Robin can just make a clone immediately up there. Besides the other ways the current Straw Hats could achieve the feat. Ways that are visually more interesting to draw, than....jump high.
    If there's one thing that I think has been established at this point about the lookout position in one piece, its that Robin is bad at being the lookout.

Hidden:

Purely coincidence

I do. Jinbe is an absurdly high standard.

But you know, considering that some Straw Hats joined after two minutes of casual talk, it's not like this requires an elaboration.

I don't, actually. I think Oda jerked us around too much with the delayed joinings. It should have been made official during the wedding when he pledged his loyalty to Luffy. Now it feels like we're just treading water with him.

Purely coincidence

Let's move this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    not at the beginning of the tankanbon member crew page
    Volume 90 isn't out yet. I would say that it would be a spoiler to put him there too, though.

and there was no chapter named 'the ninth person'
    Not every Straw Hat has gotten one of those. Did Usopp officially join the crew in Chapter 439? Is Chopper not a Straw Hat?

so you can bend all the way you want to but Oda has decided Jinbei is not an official Strawhat as of chapter 911. So the questions are rather
    Is Oda lying ?
    Should i trust fans or the author himself ?
    You should trust the words that have been written in the manga.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

I just realized something, Jinbe was a friend of Ace. Maybe they went to the country of Samurais together back in the days.
    Maybe not but Jinbe's kimono, scars and haircut need an origin! Give us Jinbe's flashback already !

Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    I just realized something, Jinbe was a friend of Ace. Maybe they went to the country of Samurais together back in the days.
    Maybe not but Jinbe's kimono, scars and haircut need an origin! Give us Jinbe's flashback already !
    Yeah, hopefully he finally gets his own flashback when he shows up to Wano.

I've seen people divided on that happening, since he was in the Otohime & Tiger flashback. But after re-watching and rereading that whole sequence, he's really just a supporting cast member throughout most of it. And there has to be a reason that he wasn't given his scar during that flashback, even though there was ample opportunity for it.

(I want to see his childhood, too. But it's probably not as important. He and Brook are the only two without that part of their life accounted for.)

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    You think his kimono and haircut need an explanation? I thought itīs just Oda being consistent with the Yakuza thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    You think his kimono and haircut need an explanation? I thought itīs just Oda being consistent with the Yakuza thing.
    Yes, but WHY the Yakuza thing. It's different from all other fishmen in terms of style, it's different from how Jinbe himself was at the end of the FI flashback (as well as his temperament changing.)

He bonded with Ace at some point and became loyal to Whitebeard. And he got that scar at some point. There's 10 years in there after he became a Warlord and fought with Arlong that changed him a bit and obviously SOMETHING eventful happened to change him. So yes, there is still something to see.

If we saw other fishmen adopt the wano style, or he didn't have the scar, or the implied history with Ace, I'd say no, we don't need an explanation for his clothes. But all factors combined? Yeah. there's a story there.

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    Isn't that basically what happened with BM's tsunami? Carrot called out the incoming wave, and Jimbei was able to maneuver the ship into position and ride it out.
    Yeah but the wave was already close enough. I was more thinking about the scene when they had ships on their back chasing them, and then Carot warned the other that they were ships in front of them too, and so they had a little time to think about what to do before getting pincered
    3DS FC : 0559-6804-1461

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey D View Post
    I was more thinking about the scene when they had ships on their back chasing them, and then Carot warned the other that they were ships in front of them too, and so they had a little time to think about what to do before getting pincered
    Although those scenarios don't get resolved the way you were saying because one is resolved by sulong Carrot, and the other by the arrival of the fishmen pirates. We can see that Carrot's warning does give them enough time to prepare a strategy in order to break through, its just that sulong was more convenient.

Hidden:

EDIT - Wait, I think I misread your post and this is exactly what you were saying. So what are you suggesting should have happened instead of Sulong saving the day?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy 9000 View Post
    You should trust the words that have been written in the manga.
    Pictures are worth a thousand words, and Jimbei not being on the colour spreads does say something about how much of a crew member Jimbei is at this point in time. Brook was asked to join and said yes, but he then said he couldn't because he had to deal with his shadow situation first. It was only after the shadow situation was resolved and he had his official joining that he started appearing in the colour spreads.

Keeping the fishmen alive is apparently Jimbei's shadow situation and, no matter how blindingly obvious it is that he'll join, he isn't a crew member yet.

Purely coincidence

What if Jinbe was in this color spread ? You would have Zoro's group act all strawhatish with Jinbe when they don't even know that he is part of the crew yet.
    It's a bit far fetched I know, but that might be the reason why Oda didn't draw him. Because half the crew doesn't know that Jinbe joined yet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information