+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 292 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Seven Deadly Sins

Default Re: A Spiritual Successor to Magico? Nanatsu no Taizai!

So the 2nd of the 7 is a teenager too? An oversized one tho.

Shipmate

Why did it take two attempts for this manga to get an active thread, especially so misleadingly titled one? I'll never know.

Anyway, this is a solid Suzuki Nakaba read - and that alone implies a lot of enjoyment. Execution is what matters here, and, so far, it has been nothing but satisfyingly pleasant. The world is on its head, your only hope are your former diabolical enemies, their leader is but a wee lewd shota bartender nonchalantly defying any bit of common sense, and the ale has almost run out. Yes please, this is how I want my fantasy comics.

Hork is best character too.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawhat Chan View Post
    Does anyone have an idea how the rankings in this magazine work? Because I just checked out the rankings in the mag.

Second chapter was ranked 6th, third was ranked 5th, 12th, fourth chapter has color pages so it doesn't count, fifth chapter ranked 1st.
    Magazine, unlike Jack and Sunday, doesn't rely on questionnaires to set their rankings, even though the gather data in a similar way. Instead, they actively rotate their series so you can see hits in the back, and unpopular stories in the front of the magazine quite often. This way, Magazine are trying to give attention to a wider array of manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Lion-chan View Post
    Fairy Tail has made me wary of any new fantasy themed manga but this manga is legitmately well put together and emotionally deep from what I've gathered so far.
    I don't know what this Fairy Tail is but it sounds like obsolete fanfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Lion-chan View Post
    Original characters, fun setting, over the top manly combat physics which is pretty interesting given how it's juxtaposed with a fantasy setting where emphasis is usually on the magic powers rather than the DBZ levels of physical feats. I'm very interested by where this manga could go, it has a lot of potential.
    This is Suzuki Nakaba. I think I'd be disappointed if he betrayed his nature and wouldn't focus on manly men, women and children performing extraordinary feats of physical power in the most badass ways possible. This is like a law of nature you can get around without warping the japanese comic book space-time continuum.

However, in one way or another, he is going to work with the concept of magic, and look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    And since he's back to shounen, no blow jobs for this shota this time I guess. Damn.
    So Boku to Kimi Aidani was pretty wild as well? Well, Magazine usually is more accepting to fanservice, but Meliodas probably won't get as lucky, at least on screen.

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader.../en/0/5/page/2

Extremely interesting backstory with potential awesome uber elite characters being given by the fourth chapter. Showing a lot of drive and direction. I'm liking this series more and more.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

I really like Nakaba's artstyle - and all the over-the-top action scenes he showcases it in don't hurt.

The armor designs in particular have surprisingly detail and texture: they look damn cool. Feels like the Seven Deadly Sins stepped right out of Dark Souls and into a manga.
    The series seems to be moving along fairly quickly too! Not many chapters in and already we've found one of the Seven, and will be fighting one of the first bad guys, who seems to be no slouch.

Good. It's nice to read series that don't dawdle about, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Isn't supossed to be Lady Diane instead of Lord, or is the same thing in japanese?

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Isn't supossed to be Lady Diane instead of Lord, or is the same thing in japanese?
    I'm going to assume it was just written as 'Diana-sama'. So Lady Diana would be appropriate.

Shipmate

It has been only six chapters and Meliodas is already becoming my favorite new protagonist of the year. Lad is a classical trickster. Add to this Nakaba being able to draw comics only in the badass way, and you have every page illuminating with excitement.

We learn Meliodas' sin this time, and it does fit his animal theme. Still no hints to the reason why the Sins haven't aged during all these years and don't look like their estimated, I assume, bounty posters at all.

Hopefully Diane does something next time to establish herself as a character a bit more.

Sin of Wrath? Laaame. Was really hoping Melodias was the Sin of Lust. Would have been way more fitting imo Also I really hope the Sin of Sloth isn't actually dead. That would suck that we'd miss out on an awesome character regardless of how much we see of him in flashbacks.

Shipmate

While I get the appeal of Meliodas' sin being lust, I doubt it would work as one just as well. In comparison to the usual big bad pride, wrath and envy, the other four are relegated to a lower tier being all less cardinal of a deadly sin. Of course, something as conceptual fully depends on execution, but judging by initial impression, a protagonist is better off desribed in a more imposing, even if recognisable, way.

And sure Sloth's alive. "Capital of the Dead" practically screams this.

Yeah but it being Anger is so...predictable. I'm sure it's gonna be handled very interestingly given how Melodias is the most chill dude on the planet indicating thst when he gets angry, shit will get real but still...predictable.

What exactly is predictable about it?

Melodias is always calm so I definitely didn't predict him being "Wrath."
    Usually Pride is considered the principal and cardinal of all sins. It's the big one. Wrath can go to anyone, not always a major character.
    Pride is the sin that always gets attached to someone important. Wrath? Definitely not always.

Also if you're sure it's going to be handled interesting why are you complaining about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    What exactly is predictable about it?

Melodias is always calm so I definitely didn't predict him being "Wrath."
    Usually Pride is considered the principal and cardinal of all sins. It's the big one. Wrath can go to anyone, not always a major character.
    Pride is the sin that always gets attached to someone important. Wrath? Definitely not always.

Also if you're sure it's going to be handled interesting why are you complaining about it?
    Pride and Wrath and Envy always go the mainiest of main characters. Like how in terms of elements, it's always the main protagonist who gets fire. Full metal Alchemist. Who had Wrath? Only the most cool and interesting and important homunculus.

I'm not arguing that the execution of it is good. I eagerly await the moment when Melodias snaps and actually gets angry and shit gets really real. But still, the lesser sins like Lust get no love :(

In FMA Lust was a much more interesting character than Pride or Envy, desipte the latter having a major role though.
    I don't think Lust was shafted.

Sloth on the other hand..
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; December 4th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.

Ha, I thought it would have been great if Melodias was Lust. We already get Pride/Wrath being at the forefront of plenty of fiction concerning the seven deadly sins. Would have been an interesting way to play against expectations. I went to a Catholic highschool and vaguely remember Lust being mentioned as the first of the seven anyway. (And Melodias is a dude! How often is lust portrayed by a dude? Would have been great)

Wrath should be fine too though. I actually hope if there's some grandiose internal dissent plotline between the group, it's not headed by Pride. I want some "lesser" sin to shine, gluttony or sloth for example. It's all good so far though.
    Hey you! Let's party!

Read the first chapter and enjoyed what I read for the most part. I still have absolutely no idea why this is referred to as the spiritual successor to Magico. Outside of being shonen adventure battle manga, is there any similarities between the two? Does romance become a key plot point or something?
    Co-Host of the Weekly Manga Recap podcast found at ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com!

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

I am really enjoying this manga.
    Surprisingly so.

I could easily see it going places.
    Reminds me of an early Naruto (before it was crappy) or an early HxH (before the author gave up). Or dare I say it, an early One Piece.

Read the first chapter. Seems pretty good.

Fuck yea talking piggies =3

Someone knows why this isn't in jump? Like got it rejected or does the author tend to introduce unjumplike stuff into his stories?
    From my impression this would do pretty well in jump. If I had guess he probably doesn't want to deal with the ultra competition jump has?

9 chapters in it's got enough action per chapter and it always has really good cliffhangers, sure in the big picture it's nothing special right now but boy is it competent. Certainly more so than the likes of bulge, taka-something and some of the other rather forgetable series in jump.

I think he has a contract with Sunday, at least until his popularity drops or gets into a legal battle with the editorial like Makoto Raiku (Gash Bell)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Someone knows why this isn't in jump? Like got it rejected or does the author tend to introduce unjumplike stuff into his stories?
    From my impression this would do pretty well in jump. If I had guess he probably doesn't want to deal with the ultra competition jump has?

9 chapters in it's got enough action per chapter and it always has really good cliffhangers, sure in the big picture it's nothing special right now but boy is it competent. Certainly more so than the likes of bulge, taka-something and some of the other rather forgetable series in jump.
    I'd prefer it not be in Jump, the constant battle for rankings can often ruin a story (or prematurely end it *cough*)
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information