+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 294 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Seven Deadly Sins

Default Re: A Spiritual Successor to Magico? Nanatsu no Taizai!

The RAW chapters for 7-10 look pretty good. Now I just wish I had a translation.

Spoiler:
    Greed looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by brennen.exe View Post
    The RAW chapters for 7-10 look pretty good. Now I just wish I had a translation.

Spoiler:
    Greed looks awesome
    seems your plea has been timed well at least chapter 7 is out now http://www.batoto.net/read/_/145968/...y_red-hawk-neo

I don't know what to think of this pace. At this rate 4 out of the 6 sins (1 is the traitor) will be gathered in less than 20 chapters.

I think this is the smart way to pace a new series, especially if I look at some of the shonen series in jump that were cancelled or are probably about to be. Also I'm kind of sure that the recruitments of subsequent members will take longer due other obstacles coming up. Also hasn't it already be established a few chapters ago that gathering the sins is just the beginning? I don't think this will run out of fuel fast.

Seriously the only thing right now that I think could be difficult to manage is the power balance. The power levels are already over the top but still to a degree where I can dig it. If this somewhere along the way turns into continental attack havoc or god forbid planetary havoc it would be too much for me.
    In any case I rather hope power growth won't become a focus point of the series and instead it will focus on character growth/change.

Just started this series, looks good.

Oh man, Gil walking off from being thrown into a castle with no fucks given...

This manga makes me want bacon.
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

The sooner the crew gathers, the sooner we can keep a running tally of '____ is best sin'

This has been a really fun series so far. I especially enjoy the detailed artwork and the lighthearted feel.

im liking this manga already. especially Melodias cause A. he's a pervert and doesn't mind. B. he's always calm even in battle. and C. he took out a guy with just a broken sword in one blow.

need i say more?
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I think this is the smart way to pace a new series, especially if I look at some of the shonen series in jump that were cancelled or are probably about to be.
    There's really no benefit comparing the pace of a Shonen Magazine series to a Shonen Jump one. Mag is about a million times less strict, and it's safe that even if this flops it'll get an okay run. Completely different editorial strategies and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    There's really no benefit comparing the pace of a Shonen Magazine series to a Shonen Jump one. Mag is about a million times less strict, and it's safe that even if this flops it'll get an okay run. Completely different editorial strategies and stuff.
    I think you have to educate me on that since I'm not really sure how jump's editing is limited to producing generic forgettable works when it comes to action/shonen pieces. I also have a hard time imagining jump messing around with what is already good pacing. If anything I'd assume that the reason for failing of a lot of the lately pieces very much resulted from a lack of understanding(from the author's side) of how to pace and put a story together in the face of rankings and the weekly shedule. So most of the time they all try to play it way too safe.

Also how is there no benefit to comparing? If there is a substantial difference in editing methods that produces a work of very similar concepts to many of jumps shonen series and yet can be a lot more engaging I feel there is definitely benefit to compare and discuss but for now, I'm curious throw some of your knowledge at me.

Some Sorta Bumhead, Surely Maxy B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I think you have to educate me on that since I'm not really sure how jump's editing is limited to producing generic forgettable works when it comes to action/shonen pieces. I also have a hard time imagining jump messing around with what is already good pacing. If anything I'd assume that the reason for failing of a lot of the lately pieces very much resulted from a lack of understanding(from the author's side) of how to pace and put a story together in the face of rankings and the weekly shedule. So most of the time they all try to play it way too safe.

Also how is there no benefit to comparing? If there is a substantial difference in editing methods that produces a work of very similar concepts to many of jumps shonen series and yet can be a lot more engaging I feel there is definitely benefit to compare and discuss but for now, I'm curious throw some of your knowledge at me.
    Well the generic forgettable works comment is a matter of some debate, to be sure, but Jump editorial's process of deciding what stays or goes is very rigorous, based on a sampling of 1000 reader surveys each week. These are used to decide both the order of the table of contents and the overall popularity of the series. Even if a series has what is considered good pacing, if it doesn't match the expectations of those 1000 readers it means nothing. From there the process does have a fair parallel, with editorial and the authors discussing what to do to either capitalise on what works or to move away from what doesn't. This can go from well-executed changes like Reborn!'s switch to focusing on battles, or completely erroneous decisions, like Belmonde le Visiteur's frankly panicked change of direction to something that got just as bad a reception as before.

But that's not all I'm driving at here. Jump and Magazine have very different circulations. Jump's is around 3 and a half million copies printed each week, and Magazine's is more like 1 and a half million. This is where the change in approach is. Jump's ridiculous circulation means that the anthology is almost always the focus, and that a series that isn't competing there will perish, regardless of volume sales. I mean... If you're not One Piece, you're not selling comparable numbers to Shonen Jump. That's Shueisha's moneymaker, and that's all that matters.

Now, Magazine. Magazine's much lower circulation means that a series gets a second venue to prove itself, as volume sales become much more important. So a series can have a less competitive, more thoughtful pace to it and rake it in on the collected edition. It's a battle on two fronts that Jump doesn't allow. Hence why a lot of Shonen Jump series'll play it breakneck and Magazine or Sunday can be a lot smarter with how things play out.

Ugh, I'm meandering. I've gotta be clear, I'm not attacking anything here, just pointing out that it's often better to let a series stand on its own merits rather than compare it to a creative environment with a different focus than its own. Nanatsu no Taizai will probably work great in Magazine, if it were in Jump though... It could be a different story. It's not made for there, it's made for Magazine. It's... well, it's simple, innit. It's working where it belongs, and that's why I think a comparison doesn't benefit either side in this thing.

I dunno, Jump just kept coming up in here and I found it ill-suited to the topic when there's much more interesting things in play with this series than how it's not like a different anthology's failed titles.

(oh and on the playing it safe comment? Have you read any of the New Power Generation in Jump? Sure, none of them are action, but there's your proof that Jump authors aren't always playing it safe, having great success with four disparate series)

Ban reminds me a Thomas from The Dresden Files.

I'm not entirely sure why.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy B View Post
    Well the generic forgettable works comment is a matter of some debate, to be sure, but Jump editorial's process of deciding what stays or goes is very rigorous, based on a sampling of 1000 reader surveys each week.
    Thanks that was insightful but I'm still not clear on how that relates to what I said.

I'm speaking of the swot's the bulge's and the hungry joker's or takahama something's of jump and yes that's also the reason why I was particular about action series.
    I seriously don't see how those series failed because of jump's ultra competitiveness, no they were just super boring, badly executed and had no real direction of where they wanted to go all those things most likely do not relate to the editing either.

So I think it still stands that nanatsu no taizai is just a massivly more competently executed piece of work while not necessarily doing anything too original yet, which just show's that execution is still the king before idea's.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; January 7th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/151702/...red-hawk-neo/2

Chapter 10! In many ways it seems like a by the book shounen but so far it has the special something that keeps me hooked. I hope more people get into it, it seems like it hasn't generated much interest so far.

Is Hork male of female?

Quote Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
    I hope more people get into it, it seems like it hasn't generated much interest so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Is Hork male of female?
    Sounds like enough interest to me.
    Decided to read and got to say it's better than Magico despite the similiarites; the already strong male lead, Meliodas, is more interesting than Shion, though Elizabeth is still pretty much in par with Emma, but she has the whole "I'm the princess" thing. We'll obviously have our Joshua which is Ban.

About the latest chapter, I found amazing this page.
    Last edited by GJardim; January 12th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

Gotta love that Hork, I think he's my favourite character so far in this series.

It's an okay start, but the female lead is a bit too bland for my liking. Very naive, optimistic and the "I want to protect everyone" - speeches. Maybe she'll get awesome combat abilities later?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information