+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Panekai's manga and other art

Default Panekai's amateur manga begins

Sup guys, so I finally decided to make an art thread. Thing is, I've been getting ideas for this new manga that I'd really like to do. I've been drawing comics and manga personally for years, but now I'd like to make something truly public. I'm not terribly good or experienced, so feedback would be most welcome. I drew it by hand, took a picture and did a slighly rushed cleaning job to show you guys the sketch I made of the main character. So, here it is.
    Spoiler:

It is planned to be a mostly comedic battle manga about a bizarre witch. Although I have a lot of ideas for it there are still a lot that needs to be done, heck, I dont even have names yet, for the life of me I cant decide on one for either the main character or the title. So for now I just call her The Unnamed Witch, it sounds catchy so I was thinking of using just that for the title, dunno how it would fit into the story though. So there's that, and I'd also like to do some advertising to gain some more readers. So what do you all think of this idea?

Oh, and of course I will be posting other art here too. Perhaps even take some requests.

(EDIT)

Chapter 1: How to Greet a Witch
    http://panekai.deviantart.com/gallery/43614552
    Last edited by Panekai; May 13th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: Panekai's manga and other art

Alrighty, time for another sketch. This time of another main character.
    Spoiler:

This is Silica the samurai, you'll be seeing her a lot. I drew some more but they aint clean yet. So yeah, more coming soon.
    Last edited by Panekai; May 13th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Been sick for a bit so I couldn't draw or upload. But now I'm feelin better and ready to actually do stuff. Here's another pic I didnt get to upload because of le sickness.
    Spoiler:

I didn't realize the boobs looked weird till after I drew it. Fixed in later pictures. More pictures drawn, just need to clean them. I added a design to her dress and gave her a creepy smile in this one to add a bit more to her character. I've also settled on the name Venalry for her.
    Last edited by Panekai; May 13th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

oh, I see you have some problems with cleaning your works after scanning. I have it too. I suggest manipulating with properties of scan as the first thing you can do. What program do you use for cleaning? Maybe I could suggest something more, if I know the program.
    "I'm a bad guy! I don't save the day, I don't fly off to the sunset and I don't get the girl! I'm going home."
    - MegaMind

I actually don't scan them. I take a picture with an iphone and upload it to the computer. Then I clean with MS Paint manually. Its a ton of work doing it that way, I'd like to find a faster way.

oh, ok. try Gimp maybe. I don't especially like this program, but it's a free one. Ad contrast cut off everything that isn't lines, alternatively copy lines only and paste them on fresh background.
    "I'm a bad guy! I don't save the day, I don't fly off to the sunset and I don't get the girl! I'm going home."
    - MegaMind

Alright! I'll give this program a try, thanks!

Next pic, probably last one before the actual manga.
    Spoiler:

Venalry with a certain weapon of hers. What it actually is we may never know.
    Last edited by Panekai; May 13th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Finally, after a couple hundred years, chapter 1 is out.

http://panekai.deviantart.com/gallery/43614552

Criticism and advice concerning where to upload or advertisment suggestion always welcome.

Cool, this is actually a lot better than I thought. As for art or maybe even just improvements, I recently discovered you can't just start running before you can crawl. If I was you I would try and draw about 50-100 bodies, just to get the basic proportions right before moving onto faces, shadings, colouring and clothe/hair/detailing. Pick the pose and start off with basic shapes before joint them together with an outline. Edit and alter until it looks right, and don't by any means try going to far with detail. Master bodies step by step. Hell it's taken me a year to learn this basic principle and only now am I seeing good results.

As for examples with what I'm referring to with shapes and outlines.
    Spoiler:

Not a great example as the layer of shapes is removed, but you can kind of grasp how it's gone from circles and squares, to an outline, editing and soon enough got a rough pose. The next sketch would be to fix all the mistakes and leave a crisp black outline of the end product. You would be amazed at how the most scruffy looking start can end out the most amazing after following the basic steps.

Once I've got the position, I put down the shapes, alter it until its good, give it an outline and then go over it once or twice until the rough finish is in proportion/realistic. Once you get is down you can add the rest of features.

You can get manga books that cover just this introduction into this art.

Well I'm loving the comic, so brush up and impress us all. I'm sure you'll really turn heads, including your own soon enough.

Thank you for the response smudger. I'll definatly keep that in mind. Actually one of the reasons I started this was to help my art improve, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Panekai View Post
    Thank you for the response smudger. I'll definatly keep that in mind. Actually one of the reasons I started this was to help my art improve, haha.
    no worries. Sorry I didn't have anything else at hand to show as an example. As for the art...

...I really dig the clock dress on the first post. I might have to steal it ^.^

Like a bolt from the blue, get ready for chapter 2!

https://www.deviantart.com/panekai/g...1026/Chapter-2

NNID: Panekai

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information