+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 337 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323 324 325 333 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,460 of 6725

Thread: Food Wars? More like "Belongs in the Trash"

Default Re: Food Wars! , or "The Room" of Japan

Soma was meant to be a sports manga, but it's authors wanted it to be a school-battle manga.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

At this point it really is just Toriko. The weirdest twists, good art, fun sections. Just riding the waves yo. Chap is out.

At least he mopped the floor with sojiro NOW, not before like the spoiler said.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I loved that the team Alice wasn't in the meeting, my headcanon is that they are just calling the police causing the DARK CHEFFS of gambling, unsanitary cooking, unlawful transfer of properties, breaking and entering and breaking the trademark of "shokugeki", with a lawyer.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Well its out.

There is your final villain.

Well, Asami was Eirina's in the end. Tsukasa was written out. Joicihiro was "the shanks". It is time for evil surprise Ace.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Prediction time: This guy is not his son, but more of his apprentice chef who he views as his son.

Well... The thread's title feels quite apt, that's for sure.

I've given it some thought, and you know, I think you guys are right. Fictional works shouldn't be judged for any internal consistency given that they're creative worlds devised for the sake of our enjoyment. No one says this writing here is actually good, but it's okay if this is what you go in for. This some really interesting developments, and I think the author is really self aware of this and was intentional as to how classically absurd this whole setup is. Does anyone think that the cliche of a "long lost brother from another mother" is actually good writing when it's the most standard Soap Opera plot twist around? No. Does anyone actually think that Azami's plan that revolved around students that would eventually graduate and were also possibly inferior to other chefs around the world was actually good? No. Does anyone think that 5-0ing the best chef the series has introduced was a good development by turning the guy everyone looks up to into a jobber? No. But this series can still be enjoyed even with lazy writing even when haters may say that it makes no sense for the best chef to get an off screen defeat.

Like "The Room," it's okay for this to be bad because it's just fun and enjoyable to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    I've given it some thought, and you know, I think you guys are right. Fictional works shouldn't be judged for any internal consistency given that they're creative worlds devised for the sake of our enjoyment. No one says this writing here is actually good, but it's okay if this is what you go in for. This some really interesting developments, and I think the author is really self aware of this and was intentional as to how classically absurd this whole setup is. Does anyone think that the cliche of a "long lost brother from another mother" is actually good writing when it's the most standard Soap Opera plot twist around? No. Does anyone actually think that Azami's plan that revolved around students that would eventually graduate and were also possibly inferior to other chefs around the world was actually good? No. Does anyone think that 5-0ing the best chef the series has introduced was a good development by turning the guy everyone looks up to into a jobber? No. But this series can still be enjoyed even with lazy writing even when haters may say that it makes no sense for the best chef to get an off screen defeat.

Like "The Room," it's okay for this to be bad because it's just fun and enjoyable to read.
    Just keep it simple, if a fictional work aims at being serious, i take it seriously and i am more critical, if a work is just aiming for purposeless fun like SnS is for example, i do not think too much about it.

I fare mostly well with this approach, and there is no useless judging of series that never aimed to be critically appealing.

I don't like where this is going.

Hidden:

Yep. No need to judge a series based on how well it actually executes what it's trying to do or whether or not its writing, which is integral to developing the characters you know and love, is actually any good.

After all, this isn't a manga people think is good because it has good character writing and development. As far as everyone here has basically said, it's just what they read every week with no expectation, so even when the characters basically stand in a vacuum of time, food fights are basically skipped to the point where things are basically just fastforward tell without show, if you go in with less than no expectations, this really has a quality similar to movies that are known not for their writing but that they are enjoyed because they are bad.

That was my attitude to bleach, with the added salt of "I want to complain about it".
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Just keep it simple, if a fictional work aims at being serious, i take it seriously and i am more critical, if a work is just aiming for purposeless fun like SnS is for example, i do not think too much about it.

I fare mostly well with this approach, and there is no useless judging of series that never aimed to be critically appealing.
    It's in the most popular magazine of the country, a magazine that judges your popularity week by week and if you don't perform well you're on the chopping block, it very much aims at being critically appealing.

"purposeless fun" is a contradiction, there's always a purpose to it, if "purposeless fun" made any sense then the comedy world would be thrown on its head.

God forbid we have any actual expectations that the series actually give us anything worth reading as opposed to literally any other series considering they're all of the same level of quality given this approach to consuming any form of media

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by vorlianis View Post
    It's in the most popular magazine of the country, a magazine that judges your popularity week by week and if you don't perform well you're on the chopping block, it very much aims at being critically appealing.

"purposeless fun" is a contradiction, there's always a purpose to it, if "purposeless fun" made any sense then the comedy world would be thrown on its head.
    I mean, it may be a contradiction, but so long as people go in with the expectation that this is well below mediocre writing, then it's fine, right?

Like I mean, it seems based on what everyone is saying here that Soma is a series with no real writing designed purposefully around the cooking and random gags rather than any progression of characters or payoff, so in that sense, it should be fine for people to have no standards, because Soma's quality is just like the quality of series that rank lowest and the closest to being cancelled. Even if readers originally came here to see pretty decent arcs, neat takes on cooking ideas, and interesting reaction shots, the series still has its core roots that made it enjoyable even after the writing's gone substandard, the cooking gets completely skipped, and the reactions have become bland. Because we still revisit the characters we know and love who are exactly the same as they were way back when without any expectation that they will ever progress.

Default Re: Shokugeki no Soba is a「Thread」where the title won't change as you expect

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    If this can be pulled off okay throughout the next few arcs, then this will have been a really cool switch up.
    But yeah, for now, on paper it's dumb. Good thing I was always in this manga for the fun anyways.
    Me from two months ago: Gonna give this a chance, see if it keeps my interest through virtue of being fun.

Me right now: I reeeeeaaaaaally don't click with the reveal of this random brother who's somehow better than the supposed end goal.
    That's almost a deal breaker for me. Even as an optimist who's easy to please, this has gone a bit south of my expectations.

This doesn't change what I said before.
    Sometimes I have no problem overlooking dumb plot shit for the sake of the fun,
    like in the case of Air Gear, KHR!, etc.
    But this kind of twist TAKES AWAY from the fun, because one of the things I liked about this manga was Soma's goal of beating his Dad.

So basically, I said I'd give the new direction a chance.
    But that chance just took a heavy blow with a bat.
    Believe it or not, even the easily entertained have a limit.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Default Re: Food Wars! , or the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of Japan

But I mean, this could theoretically set up for some fun character interactions, which I think is what everyone is here for. I don't get what people are so hung up about considering this is exactly what people signed up for and thought was okay when we've all said we're in this just for the fun. Don't see what the big deal is when this latest plot development is about as well structured as high schoolers running the most prestigious cooking academy in Japan or pinning all your plans on a class that will eventually graduate. The series has not really regressed any development more than it already has for the past few years and is still as enjoyable and entertaining as it has been then.

His brother eh?

Can't wait when he shows up, beats Soma silly, then loses after Soma goes to Azami to get training.

Mark the date and time guys, you heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    His brother eh?

Can't wait when he shows up, beats Soma silly, then loses after Soma goes to Azami to get training.

Mark the date and time guys, you heard it here first.
    Azami but with a mustache

This couldn't have just been a small little one off arc while the Mangaka tried to get his bearings on what to do next. Some series don't need long arcs or a central antagonist to be good and interesting, and this is one of those series. The Azami stuff was long, drawn out, and took away from a lot of character development and actual cooking stuff. Seeing the new Elite 10 together could've been very different, seeing how they all react to each other, especially with Eizan still being there. Perhaps we could get a better look into how various characters are getting towards their dreams, even being in the top 10 they still have a ways to go to reach their goal. Or, you know, seeing the school back to normal after Azami left to at least land a point of how you shouldn't restrict creativity. It wasn't a great arc but at least finish it off with something. Instead, we get this.

I can't even get enjoyment out of this by making fun of it, because unlike Bleach it doesn't have that distinct badness to make fun of. It's just below average with what I loved not really there anymore, but nothing so over the top bad to really dig into. I imagine Alice and her gang wasn't there because she figured there was a better story to be a part of.

This was a weird reveal. And honestly I forgot that there was the reveal of someone named Saiba working with the noir chefs lol.

This brother thing feels...I dunno. I can't really say I care one way or another. It is what it is. Somas' dad has shown that he is oddly secretive for no real apparent reasons.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information