+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age III: Inquisition

Default Dragon Age: Inquisition

http://dragonage.bioware.com/inquisition/

I saw this on Bioware. Development on this game began 18 months prior its announcement.

It will be set in Thedas once again. It is supposed to cover a larger area than DA:O, at least 5 times larger than area of Ferelden. Story will be more or less based on civil war between Empress and a powerful noble faction in Orlais, along with an all-out war between Mages and the Templar Order, which we saw in DA II. We may or may not see the previous protagonists, but the previous stories will impact this one. Deeper character customization and longer character development cycles are among the others.

I loved DA:O. DA II was weak. Fingers crossed for this one. I am somewhat critical about the story as such, but let us see. DA:O had one of them most amazing themes and soundtracks ever produced, i am hoping the same for DA III. Game is expected to release in Q4 2013 or Q1 2014.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Leon; July 5th, 2014 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: Dragon Age III: Inquisition

'Area' as in it'll take place in multiple nations, or 'area' as in actual places to run around in? I know they want more open areas, so it'll be interesting how they handle that especially after how static Dragon Age II was.

As for the previous saved games, the devs have already stated having a new engine makes the save import complicated, so they may try for a new angle on how to accomplish that.

Also, I guarantee that no matter what there will never be a case of mages once again returning to the towers since a big reason for that plot point in the first place was because it was tiring having to deal with mages being outside the circle unless the mage is already in one.

I'm still curious enough to keep myself informed about it but it's not exactly something I really looking forward to in the same way like bioshock infinite, gta 5 or a new persona. It used to be something like those back when DA2 was announced.

In any case this will definitely be a vital game for me to see if I can still expect something from bioware games.

I'm apparently the only person in the world that actually liked DA2.

Yeah, it doesn't lend itself to replaying much, but I liked the more intimate confine of the city/10 year plot, and not having to worry about party management, and the overall story was pretty decent. The combat was improved for the most part (thief class anyway... mage was a bit more limited) And at least they didn't just recreate the same basic plot of the first game. And the actual gameplay time, despite the smaller setting, was about equal to the first game.

Plus Varric was awesome. And I rather liked Aveline and Isabella, their back and forth was fun. And Anders/Justice was my favorite pair of characters from Awakening, so... bonus there.

In any event, 3 has a much longer development cycle and they know after the general response to part 2 and Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim they have to deliver or else the brand is pretty much dead. They've already said just one of the cities is going to be bigger than Kirkwall was.

I just hope that DA3 won't be DA:O2, I absolutely hope it won't be DA2:2 either. I wish that they'll just take the stuff bioware is generally strong at into the DA world and then within that frame try to do something we fans don't expect.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; December 18th, 2012 at 07:53 AM.

I'm apparently the only person in the world that actually liked DA2.

Yeah, it doesn't lend itself to replaying much, but I liked the more intimate confine of the city/10 year plot, and not having to worry about party management, and the overall story was pretty decent. The combat was improved for the most part (thief class anyway... mage was a bit more limited) And at least they didn't just recreate the same basic plot of the first game. And the actual gameplay time, despite the smaller setting, was about equal to the first game.

Plus Varric was awesome. And I rather liked Aveline and Isabella, their back and forth was fun. And Anders/Justice was my favorite pair of characters from Awakening, so... bonus there.

In any event, 3 has a much longer development cycle and they know after the general response to part 2 and Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim they have to deliver or else the brand is pretty much dead. They've already said just one of the cities is going to be bigger than Kirkwall was.
    I personally just couldn't really stand the constant wave spam for most of the enemies myself. There were certainly other elements I didn't really care for, but that was pretty much the deal breaker for me. Still, I figure that I may end up getting Dragon Age III since at the least it can probably only be an improvement on Dragon Age II.

As for liking DAII, it's easy to see why people would like it, and what they did was pretty well for the time they were given. Still, a lot of Dragon Age II seems like ideas that needed much better implementation. Just off the top of my head, the story being told in a type of flashback was done much better in Alpha Protocol. The city didn't seem to change any from what I can tell in the ten years compared to say....5 minutes in Clock Town from Majora's Mask. Waves can be intimidating, but they felt more annoying and like padding. The voiced protagonist....ehh, I preferred DA:O's approach, but I've played plenty of RPG's with voiced protagonists before that I've enjoyed a lot. I don't think I personally liked Male Hawke's voice acting either even though I've liked some of the voice actor's other work. I also think I'd rather prefer a more neutral line when it comes to dialogue as well instead of humor being a constant line. It also felt the family storyline they hyped up didn't really even have that much of an impact.

I do agree however that Varric was awesome. Just out of curiosity, how'd you like Ander's portrayal in Dragon Age II compared to Awakening since I think that upset a lot of people. I personally preferred him in II to Awakening....but that may be because I always thought he was an ass in Awakening.

Anders... was Anders. he made chocies and changed and dealt with the consequences of those choices.

People change, and I'm totally fine with that. Especially when they have a spirit of vengeance living inside them for 10 years.

Granted, he was an idiot at the end of the game...

The biggest thing on my wishlist not specifically for DA3 but just in general for the next bioware game is to make the companions less hero dependent.
    After playing them for so many years it's kind of the biggest thing that's gotten really old for me.

I want to have companions that when push comes to shove can be as great as the protagonist. Bioware did a few things that helped in that regard like in ME2 with this really specialized squad that had some figures that seemed to match shepard in their greatness but then they had to make him space messiah...

Eeee! I can't wait, I'm such a DA fangirl. (see avatar/sig)

I'm sure Bioware is being veeerrry careful with this game, taking the time (or I hope so) to develop things properly. DA2 got the short shift of being a rushed game and a "between" game that sets up a lot of big events for the later part of the story. I still liked it a lot, but I could see why people would complain about a lot of things. (and yes, I hated the waves of enemies, that was annoying.) I loved Anders, but part of that was left over from Awakening. I do wish they kept a little more of his snark in (you can see it in some of his companion chats, particularly with his chat with Varric).

Everything I've seen so far for DA3 has me very excited. They've apparently observed all the reviews/complains/praises and are working towards developing things towards that. Let's just hope it works. And after ME3's ending fiasco, they have to knock DA3 out of the park to gain back some fan respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Story will be more or less based on civil war between Emperor and a powerful noble faction in Orlais, along with an all-out war between Mages and the Templar Order, which we saw in DA II.
    Thoughts?
    Shouldn't that be the EMPRESS and the noble faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Shouldn't that be the EMPRESS and the noble faction?
    Depends on what you did to Alistair, I suppose.

Alistair is a King, not an Emperor.

Alistair is a King, not an Emperor.
    What's the difference, in this particular case?

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    What's the difference, in this particular case?
    The civil war takes place in Orlais between the empress known as Celene and nobles who want to overthrow her. As for title, no idea what the difference really is.

Orlais is an empire. Ferelden is a country/nation.

Or we could go by this:
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/Emperor_vs_King

You link to an informative article. And there are clearly words I could read.

But all I can see is the ad for Boo: The Life of the World's Cutest Dog now avaialble on Amazon. Wow that dog is a cute fluffball.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    'Area' as in it'll take place in multiple nations, or 'area' as in actual places to run around in? I know they want more open areas, so it'll be interesting how they handle that especially after how static Dragon Age II was.
    Nothing can be confirmed exactly but i have read that the story is going to take place primarily in Orlais. You can visit Tervinter in midst for some reason. Of Ferelden i do not know. They have been studying other games like Elder Scrolls for open world environment.

I think this might help you much better.
    http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Drag...I:_Inquisition

I'm shocked by the lack of...

Looking forward to more news and a first trailer of it. Origins was the best. I didn't hate II though. I've been replaying origins actually.

^ Weird I still haven't finished it .

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    I'm shocked by the lack of...

Oh, man. There better be a reference in the game. (I would think so. The Bioware team is nerdy enough.)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information