+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102
Results 2,021 to 2,033 of 2033

Thread: Steven Universe

Default Re: Steven Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    "This is CN, who have an awful track record for this sort of thing, so be prepared for them to be them. Let's hope the next 20 episodes give us SOME closure, just in case."

But where the hell is the announcement of renewal? It's waaay past the time these announcements are usually made and now with Comicon past, there's no real event to announce at and no reason to delay announcing at this point. Especially with animation production schedules being what they are.
    Let's understand this mythos that people have created in their heads about networks dealing with American animation. Whether it's Nickelodeon, Disney XD or CN fandoms in general have a HUGE distrust of how these networks handle their favorite shows. Because cable does not adhere to a consistent schedule many shows can go long periods of time between episodes and sometimes finish their runs on alternative mediums. Despite Gravity Falls telling the story it had to tell the fandom is still cheesed that it didn't get a 3rd even though everything in the show indicated it was headed towards it's endgame throughout Season 2. Legend of Korra of course went from TV airings to online only but did finish it's story. Regular Show got 8 seasons and a movie and even though it did not get that much promotion towards the end it still finished it's story. Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. was pretty much railroaded out but still completed it's narrative. Then we have all the favorites that never got that closure like Megas XLR, Sym-Bionic Titan and you're aforementioned Uncle Grandpa (wait, we're arguing about a show that many SU fans wanted dead anyway).

But let's understand the real issue: Teen Titans Go!

CN's unholy love for this show and dominance on the schedule has led many fans to distrust the network at large. Especially since they seem to be "throwing a bone" to all the other shows which are all superior in quality. It doesn't help that this show is an empty mockery of a show from a previous era that was handled with much more depth and integrity. So of course CN is the place where "All good cartoons go to die." and even in the larger picture all American animated production are never treated right by their network because they all appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Now me, instead of thinking all this negativity I look at the strides American animation has made in storytelling and characterization. I like that the majority of these shows have completed their runs and seemed to have ended organically and remain pleasantly surprised when something like Young Justice season 3 or Samurai Jack happens. From time to time I will catch an episode of Teen Titans Go! on CN and be somewhat amused at the absurdity of the show.

Do I want a formal Steven Universe Season 6 announcement? Yes.

Am I going to assume the show is doomed because it hasn't happened? No.

These days when something that popular is cancelled it usually finds a home in online streaming or in some other format. The reason I stated Archie Sonic in my previous post is because it went through a lot of things before it's cancellation:
    -Legal problems from previous writers having a direct effect on the book
    -The forums helmed by the current staff abruptly being shut down
    -Certain long time staff members being let go or no longer working with the book
    -Rushed storylines and mistimed "promotional" events
    -A mysterious hiatus despite future books being still in production (and I know you're going to use this as an example with SU, it's not)
    and after all that right when it's cancellation was formally announced almost immediately IDW revealed they had the new rights.

With Steven Universe the only huge staff change was Lauren Zuke leaving and that was because of the FANS! Ian Jones Quarterly left to work on O.K KO! (which is a new favorite for SU fans) but outside of that the primary staff is still working on the show.

I refer to this Roundtable video going into more detail why I'm not worried.

But let's entertain you're right, so Season 5 is the "last" season and the show is dead.
    Well we still 20 something episodes so we might as well enjoy the ride. When that cancellation does officially happen then I guess the rest of us were all wrong for having any optimism and confidence in both the show's staff and Cartoon Network themselves.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by o-chan View Post
    Well we still 20 something episodes so we might as well enjoy the ride. When that cancellation does officially happen then I guess the rest of us were all wrong for having any optimism and confidence in both the show's staff and Cartoon Network themselves.
    There is a vast, vast difference between
    faith in the show's staff
    faith in Cartoon Network

They are two extremely different things with different priorities and track records. Don't conflate the two. I can be positive about Steven while not trusting the network in the least.

you're aforementioned Uncle Grandpa (wait, we're arguing about a show that many SU fans wanted dead anyway).
    Purely because it and Steven got their "split season" announcements at exactly the same time, that were designed to make it seem like a positive "more had been ordered" when they were in fact just changing the numbering. And we know as fact that show is dead.

Were it not for that it would be gladly forgotten.

If you think about it the other way, Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe may have gotten that split around the same time, but we only know that Uncle Grandpa is dead. In comparison, Steven Universe has received a lot of attention and positive treatment from the network. It recently got a soundtrack out (coming out on vinyl, too) and a full on videogame in the near future, as well as generally more attention on the channel's promotions. Why should we expect it to be treated the same as Uncle Grandpa?

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I would love to be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

But also trying to prepare for Cartoon Network being themselves so that if the blow comes it won't be sudden and painful.

And also hoping season 5 rocks and does most of what the series needs to do. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    If you think about it the other way, Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe may have gotten that split around the same time, but we only know that Uncle Grandpa is dead. In comparison, Steven Universe has received a lot of attention and positive treatment from the network. It recently got a soundtrack out (coming out on vinyl, too) and a full on videogame in the near future, as well as generally more attention on the channel's promotions. Why should we expect it to be treated the same as Uncle Grandpa?
    The reason I went into that previous detailed post covering a variety of other shows is to provide various examples of how shows get cancelled, sometimes resurrected, sometimes not. Sometimes they have last minute things happen (for better or worse).

In the end if someone is convinced that in their mind the show is cancelled because the evidence adds up in their mind that this is a fact, there's very little we can do to argue otherwise until Cartoon Network says something. I will say though that it's this kind of mentality along with how people get upset with the "hiatuses" which is why I'm not big with dealing with the SU fandom at large (as well as a few other fandoms). If something falls short on how a show should be done in their ideal it gets repeatedly lambasted. Dealing with more modern animation I've noticed that the majority of them don't have a set schedule (this even extends to live action like the year we went with almost no Doctor Who and the delay in Game of Thrones) and the way I cope is I just move on to another one of my fandoms. Honestly, this kind of reminds me when One Piece fans were going mental between Seasons 3 and 4 and I think this cycle kept repeating until very recently. I'm just going to state that I'm not going to worry until the year is out and we hear nothing. We still have the New York con in October to look forward to potential announcements and who knows what episodes may air between now and then.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

about a month ago i asked on the SU reddit if there was anything to suggest that SU would or wouldn't be cancelled, and the 2 biggest responses I got were

based on timing alone season 5 should be almost entirely finished, but since it seems like there's still plenty of production going on, at least another 13 half hours seems guaranteed. cn's upfront listed it as a returning show, while clarence and uncle grandpa, which are still airing new episodes but haven't had any further seasons ordered, were not.

Actually, they confirmed season 5 was finished. They should be working on season 6 now.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Looking at their upfront announcement, there's nothing at all about new seasons of Steven Universe in it though; just that new episodes will be airing. It's been well over a year since we heard anything about more seasons and that was in reference to the seasons that were created by halving the original Season 3.

It's possible that they're holding off for a surprise announcement (though that would be a terrible choice by Cartoon Network since the series needs all the promotion it could get but not a baffling one with their track record) but it's weird that they would get this far along without anything leaking at all about it. Well, unless they extended the episode order only to do the same thing again and renumber episodes to create another season. I could buy Cartoon Network doing that.
    Complicating things since 2009.

After Gravity Falls finished, Alex Hirsch described how he wanted to end the series on his own terms and Disney allowed it in exchange for keeping quiet about the show's future until it happened. Not saying that's what's going on here, but there can be reasons for a decision to be made without an announcement. Maybe Rebecca Sugar similarly knows when she wants the series to end and is compromising with CN about that. Conjecture, but so is the notion that the show's definitely done because we haven't heard anything.

Maybe they're waiting to announce seasons 6 and 7? With 7 being the final season
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    Spoiler:

I've decide to be a lil shit and ignore all negative hints about the fate of my fav tv show and will do what Garnet would do: Believe in Steven. (No dattebayo jokes, i double dare you)

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I kind of always knew that Steven universe would be done in by its own tumbl fans.
    This is especially ironic since the show is very aware of social issues (following Rebecca Sugars interviews Steven Universe is literally intended to be read as "intersectional feminism, the show", while I'm pretty sure a lot of others in the field of animation don't even know what intersectional feminism even is)
    They are aware of race issue, disability, sexism to a certain degree and they try to convey it in a child friendly way. Conceptually this show has soooo much going on in the background and tries so hard to be genuine and compassionate. It's really paradoxical that it attracted such a fan base. I am not talking about the concrete issue (which is legit criticism) but rather the aura of the fan base as a whole
    Quote Originally Posted by o-chan View Post
    With Steven Universe the only huge staff change was Lauren Zuke leaving and that was because of the FANS!
    I still believe their powerlevel became too high and the energy of the oddly sexy disheveled hair Zuke drew on characters was too hot for children. Only my personal theory though. \_(ツ)_/
    Last edited by minus.; July 26th, 2017 at 01:47 AM.
    Things I think are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by minus. View Post
    I still believe their powerlevel became too high and the energy of the oddly sexy disheveled hair Zuke drew on characters was too hot for children. Only my personal theory though. \_(ツ)_/
    Well, what I will say is that she left for the petty drama stuff, and it was so important to her that she took a huge pay cut and moved to an entry level revisionist storyboard job for Ben 10.

It's a shame what happened to them, but constantly communicating with fandoms can be pretty draining from what I understand. I don't like discussion of the Zuke stuff, though, because it inevitably leads to fandom backlash and I don't think that's what they'd want.

Quote Originally Posted by minus. View Post
    im more upset that nobody will ever draw peridot on model ever again on this show

but yeah that sexy lapis hair will be missed ;__;

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information