+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Universe

Default Re: Steven Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Silver R. Bolt View Post
    Let's take a ride on the Steven universe art direction train, choo choo.

Original Concept by Rebecca Sugar:
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/7f021026e...9lz5o3_500.jpg

The Pilot with a Budget version:
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/ce5372b00...lz5o2_1280.jpg

The current version on Facebook;
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...79906170_n.png

Its defiantly streamlined, probably for budgetary reasons.

Now, I'm going to reserve judgement til I see an animated clip.
    Um.. excuse me for speaking early but.. EWW.

The lack of fluidity makes the world of difference.
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

Fluidity is more of a motion term, and we haven't see them motion, so we don't know how fluid the animation will be. Granted, I would be so bold to say that it will be flash animated and be on par with Teen Ttians Go.

Now if you're talking about how the design lines flow into each other, which you could argue even though its more minimalistic in terms of design, the designs do flow well. We have to keep in mind that most graphic design/character design have certain rules that make up what counts as good design. And those designs do follow most protocols and overall very appealing designs. They all still have unique silhouettes, easy to red, and proportionally speaking are nice to the eye.

But most of us will have issue with the new designs because of personal taste, and the eye natural registers more detailed designs as better. And I agree, personally I much rather had Steven Universe the way we had it in the pilot; but these designs are far from eww or the worse thing ever.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

While that's all very true, why did we see a promo poster for the show utilizing the old art style before we saw the pilot? If we'd seen the "official" art style first then the pilot got out, the pilot would look like the odd man out forever.

Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Rebecca Sugar made this nice drawing of her Steven Universe characters dressed as One Piece characters for Halloween:
    Spoiler:

source

That's really neat. I didn't realized that was her drawing.

On a side note, I'm probably going to do a small video review of Steven Universe when it airs. I'm kind of excited to do some editing again.

Thankfully the animation in the show itself moved more fluidly than it looked in the commercials.

That second episode about the light cannon was great. Steven and his dad were perfect, it told just enough about Steven's mom, the animation was brilliant. I still prefer the old designs, but I love everything about this show regardless.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

I'm not normally the type of person that pays attention to details like this, but I want a soundtrack released for the show. I was really digging the background music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory House
    Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.

Watched the pilot and the two episodes. So, yeah, pretty much everything there is to watch.

I really liked the pilot - it had a pretty neat animation and design. Say what you want about the new style - it's not as good as the pilot. Bah, of course they did this because of the cash they had - it's a new show, they can't just put money into fluid animation in a new show and hold hands while waiting for it to be a success or a flop.
    My main thing is the animation itself - it's reeeaaallyyyyy not very good. It has it's moments, but you can clearly see that they had to cut some stuff - characters rarely show emotions while speaking, it's just opening and closing a mouth while 95% of the time everything else is still.

The plot - the pilot was pretty warm, made me do what every pilot should - made me excited for the show. And the show itself... not very good. Steven has some "aww cute" moments, but his kid personality is very heavy, I don't know how long I can take someone as hyperactive. I do like Pearl (the skinny one, I hope I remember her name correctly) - looks like she's the mother figure.

Still - not much to say. As of now what I did get wasn't what I expected. After the pilot and when I learned that Rebecca Sugar does this show I expected that Adventure Time will have to give up the throne. No way, not for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    Watched the pilot and the two episodes. So, yeah, pretty much everything there is to watch.

I really liked the pilot - it had a pretty neat animation and design. Say what you want about the new style - it's not as good as the pilot. Bah, of course they did this because of the cash they had - it's a new show, they can't just put money into fluid animation in a new show and hold hands while waiting for it to be a success or a flop.
    My main thing is the animation itself - it's reeeaaallyyyyy not very good. It has it's moments, but you can clearly see that they had to cut some stuff - characters rarely show emotions while speaking, it's just opening and closing a mouth while 95% of the time everything else is still.

The plot - the pilot was pretty warm, made me do what every pilot should - made me excited for the show. And the show itself... not very good. Steven has some "aww cute" moments, but his kid personality is very heavy, I don't know how long I can take someone as hyperactive. I do like Pearl (the skinny one, I hope I remember her name correctly) - looks like she's the mother figure.

Still - not much to say. As of now what I did get wasn't what I expected. After the pilot and when I learned that Rebecca Sugar does this show I expected that Adventure Time will have to give up the throne. No way, not for a long time.
    I think Garnet is the mother figure.

Hey, new episode's up already

Spoiler:
    That was a lot of Chekohov's Guns for the first part. o___o

"TOGETHER BREAKFAST!" "It has the powers of breakfast!"

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

Really, what pissed me off the most about the characterization changes was that Pearl was the PERFECT animated version of Tilda Swinton + La Roux. And I just loved how she looked like.

About the episodes, the first two episodes were just to set the vibe on. This week, we got the third and the forth episodes...the third was o.k. but I'm not cool with the fact that Steven destroyed a piece of history and got out of it without any kind of punishment (I mean, really? Robin would break him and make him her bitch). I know, yeah, kids have to receive the message that it's fine if you can't do things right all the time (at least, that's what I hope this episode was about), but, c'mon without any consequences? Also, animation-wise, Steven's eyes disgusted me. Half of the time his eyes were way too big or just wrong in his face.

Episode 04 was niiice; I love how the door has an individualized appearance for each Gem Holder, and that their rooms, while completely distinct, are connected internally. I'm wondering about Rose's room now. Anyway, I find it cool that we get without a warning new abilities of the Gems and that, in the show's universe, nobody even blinks about it. Amethyst can just transfigure herself and Pearl can make projections with her gem. Cool. The group needed something more than a whip, gauntlets and a sword-lance (a proto-shield isn't of much use, as well).

After watching the first batch of episodes, I have to say that it has potential, but it feels somewhat inconsistent. Like, the world and music are fantastic and beautiful and they don't at all mesh with the silly character designs, animation or humor. I think the show is at its best when the silliness is to the side. It really comes together in the action scenes and in those moments where the bonds between the gems are explored (it's written in a really nice and sincere way. Sort of reminds me of the bonds in the Pines family on Gravity Falls). But the humor falls kind of flat in comparison and the butter face animation clashes with the setting and scenery in a bad way. That's not to say the humor and animation is all bad; Garnet hits the perfect balance between serious and silly and scenes like Pearl putting away her swords were really fluid and nice. They just need to find the right formula.

If this shifted to being more of an action/drama with a healthy dose of comedy, I think it would be perfect. The show definitely has a lot of promise and I'm definitely going to keep up with it in hopes that it hits its stride eventually. It still has some ways to go, though.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Frybo was the best episode yet. It fleshed out some side characters, it had a real nice blend off exaggerated expressions without looking off model, some really nice "skirting the edge" visuals (that wasn't blood dripping from the eye...it was ketchup...yeah) and some pretty thoughtful dialogue.

We have yet to see the cute younger girl from the theme song tho. (maybe she'll be this show's Marceline, in the theme song but only pops up once or twice a season)

I agree. The balance is definitely much better in this episode. There was also an unexpectedly dark side to it and the art and animation on Frybo is definitely some of the best the series had since its art overhaul. I've got a good feeling about where this series is going. Also, my god do I want a soundtrack for the show. It is so good. Sometimes it feels a little too powerful for the show itself (kind of like how the beautiful score of Dragon Quest VIII felt really out of place when you were just wiping the floor with slime corpses), but it has been a real standout for me. Who's responsible for the music?

Side note, I like how the jellyfish ride was called the Jelly Jiggler.

Currently rests outside Jarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I agree. The balance is definitely much better in this episode. There was also an unexpectedly dark side to it and the art and animation on Frybo is definitely some of the best the series had since its art overhaul. I've got a good feeling about where this series is going. Also, my god do I want a soundtrack for the show. It is so good. Sometimes it feels a little too powerful for the show itself (kind of like how the beautiful score of Dragon Quest VIII felt really out of place when you were just wiping the floor with slime corpses), but it has been a real standout for me. Who's responsible for the music?

Side note, I like how the jellyfish ride was called the Jelly Jiggler.
    ....Jelly Jiggler? A block base leader?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBIScbRibG4
    Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Also, my god do I want a soundtrack for the show. It is so good. Sometimes it feels a little too powerful for the show itself (kind of like how the beautiful score of Dragon Quest VIII felt really out of place when you were just wiping the floor with slime corpses), but it has been a real standout for me. Who's responsible for the music?
    I think Rebecca helped with the theme music.

Here's a soundcloud though of various BGMs of the first couple episodes. I think they're responsible for a lot of the music here.
    https://soundcloud.com/aivisura

Also the behind the scenes tumblr is pretty cool too to see designs and stuff
    http://stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com
    Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.

Thanks, man! Pretty cool that Rebecca Sugar is so involved with that aspect, too. A lot of talent there. With more experience, she'll probably be a pretty big force in the animation world.

The latest episode just put a big smile on my face. That's the show for me at the moment. Warm feelings. It's kinda like watching Winnie the Pooh.
    Last edited by Gizmo; February 25th, 2014 at 12:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information