Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda, the next Miyazaki? thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    That is entirely justified.
    Again, understandable.
    How so?

16 chars of curiosity

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda thread (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children)

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    How so?

16 chars of curiosity
    The comments were made when Gorou went to direct Gedo. (Tales from Earthsea)
    And just like his daddy predicted, it blew ass.

To be fair, he did improve significantly in his second film.

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda thread (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children)

Him failing on his debut movie or even being a bad director altogether doesn't justify Miyazaki hating on his son in my book.

Unless you mean't expicitly hating him as a director.

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda, the next Miyazaki? thread

How so?

16 chars of curiosity
    Aside from him making the worst Ghibli film to date, eh...I guess no reason.

Anyway, I looked up that one episode of Digimon that Hosoda directed, and it turned out to be the one where Tai returns home and we see Kari for the first time. Right away, it made sense to me. Even as a kid, I could tell there was something different about that episode. Hosoda is very much into the realism and nuances of everyday life.

Unless you mean't expicitly hating him as a director.
    That's the context.
    No one's seriously discussing parental denial here.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Miyazaki hated his son's decision even before Earthsea.
    I don't think he wanted his son going into the same profession that made him famous.

Well at that point, it would be half the running time, have a different plot in the second half, and presumably something else would have fleshed out the gaping 45 minute-hour hole and been used to be visually interesting, so no, it wouldn't be exactly the same at all. That's not taking out a minor random 5 minute sequence, that's half the movie.
    Robby, come now, you're better than this, you know what I mean.

As I said, if they told 'exactly the same tale'. You can still explore the same themes without adding all the jazzy imagery. I'm not suggesting the guts of the film be torn out with nothing replacing them, I'm saying if they told the same story grounded in reality, it would just be...a waste of time, which is the crux of my displeasure with the film.

"But that can be said of any fantasy story."

No, fantasy stories that gain (well-earned) praise bring us fantastic elements and a story that present some form of conflict, resolution and growth. If you pull out the fantastic elements you're still left with a great story.

Summer Wars doesn't have that.

...when?
    I haven't seen the movie in several years so I remembered it slightly differently (and it's somehow laughably worse) but it's at 1:43 where he heroically nosebleeds in front of the computer screen like a dodddeing fool freezing up just waiting for the world to end until he gets jogged by the one character in the film that actually gets stuff done in a timely fashion and our hero shouts his battle cry:

"YOROSHIKU ONEGAISHIMASU!"

I think I actually spit whatever I was drinking at the time when I heard that.

And there's no defending him at the end. She pecks him on the cheek and he turns red and profusely nosebleeds?

I'm about one hour into Summer Wars right now and I gotta say I'm really fond of the character cast that is Natsuki's family.

It's just that they...sorta feel like actual living,breathing people.In a medium teaming with somewhat unnatural characters tailored to specific otaku archetypes and cliches,I find that a virtue.This quite a likable folk with satisying interactions and dialogue,some distinct personalities and quirks as well.All of that further reinforced by great animation work which brings out their personalities and emotions through body languege and expressions(seriously,between this,something like Tokyo Godfathers and other stuff,anime fans should drop the notion of animation being some insignificant eye candy element,when it's really one of the closest things the medium has to acting).

Also some decent family drama with that whole wandering son thing Wabisuke has going on.But the one who easily steals the spotlight is the family matriarch.She's fantastic,a true "iron lady".It totally cracked me up when she started swinging that Naginata around.

As for the whole Oz thing,it's astoundingly beutiful.Even more visually appealing then the movie's "real life" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Robby, come now, you're better than this, you know what I mean.

As I said, if they told 'exactly the same tale'. You can still explore the same themes without adding all the jazzy imagery. I'm not suggesting the guts of the film be torn out with nothing replacing them, I'm saying if they told the same story grounded in reality, it would just be...a waste of time, which is the crux of my displeasure with the film.
    I get what you mean, and I disagree with you on that point specifically. Your take is that people only liked the crazy visual part and the grounded part was a waste, but I liked the natural stuff much more, not the sci-fi stuff.

Girl brings shy boy home to meet the (overly large) family and he's out of place the whole movie then they end up together for real and accepted by the family by the end. I personally WOULD have preferred an extra 45 minutes of just that instead of the gratuitous out-there fantasy element.

(I DID like the crazy visuals and creativity there, but wish they'd been a separate movie because they felt completely out of place.)
    Last edited by Robby; March 7th, 2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: My favorite Tenchi movie is also the last one, AKA, the one where nothing happens and most of the cast is missing

All in all I had a blast.However,all those critiscisms I've heard about this movie being a tad unfocused may not be completely off the mark.I do kinda feel like this could've been two different,somewhat more solid movies instead one.

Family slice of life and drama stuff could definately have a whole movie for itself to better develop,just as the Oz stuff could've made an even more bombastic spectacle if it had an entire focus on itself.

Also maybe Love Machine could've made a better antagonist if he had a personality instead of being a souless AI,but he works well enough as an imposing force,I gues.
    Last edited by Sander; March 7th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

All in all I had a blast.However,all those critiscisms I've heard about this movie being a tad unfocused may not be completely off the mark.I do kinda feel like this could've been two different,somewhat more solid movies instead one.
    Yup. I think it could have been two different much more focused better movies... as two films focusing on their thing, rather than the mix. Each half was solid (and weak) in its own ways, but I don't think they were really stronger together.

I haven't seen the movie in several years so I remembered it slightly differently (and it's somehow laughably worse) but it's at 1:43 where he heroically nosebleeds in front of the computer screen like a dodddeing fool freezing up just waiting for the world to end until he gets jogged by the one character in the film that actually gets stuff done in a timely fashion and our hero shouts his battle cry:

And there's no defending him at the end. She pecks him on the cheek and he turns red and profusely nosebleeds?
    I got the impression that he was solving some serious hardcore math in his head(one character even notes that,I think) and actually typing it out,not idly waiting for the impact.Infact,I think that's what caused his nosebleed,combined with the intense psychological pressure at that moment.

Last scene is lame though,no arguement there.

I haven't seen the movie in several years so I remembered it slightly differently (and it's somehow laughably worse) but it's at 1:43 where he heroically nosebleeds in front of the computer screen like a dodddeing fool freezing up just waiting for the world to end until he gets jogged by the one character in the film that actually gets stuff done in a timely fashion
    Well, the noisebleed thing was because he was doing impossible math in his head. But eh.

and our hero shouts his battle cry:

Yeah...not defending this one. One of the only parts where I legitimately cringed.

Eh, I thought that was cute.

Thanks for the reply, though. Ready to close this at a difference of opinions, but nice to get the opposing view.

I side with Greg on this one.

"I totally used you!! *Kiss*"
    Hey you! Let's party!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    I get what you mean, and I disagree with you on that point specifically. Your take is that people only liked the crazy visual part and the grounded part was a waste, but I liked the natural stuff much more, not the sci-fi stuff.
    Okay, cool.

Girl brings shy boy home to meet the (overly large) family and he's out of place the whole movie then they end up together for real and accepted by the family by the end. I personally WOULD have preferred an extra 45 minutes of just that instead of the gratuitous out-there fantasy element.
    Which is entirely my beef with it. Same with pretty much every Raimi Spiderman. If you smacked the kid in the back of the head and say, "WAKE UP! Get your head in reality!". There, movie over. Because the plot depends on the characters being piles of insecure goo and the worst part is when they end up exactly the same.

Well, the noisebleed thing was because he was doing impossible math in his head. But eh.
    You know what, I agree. I didn't see it that way at all but that does make great sense. I saw that he had figured it out and was struggling under the pressure just to type the answer. Doesn't change the overwhelming amount of my other concerns about the film.

Again, I think Mamoru is an incredible animator, and is one of the few in the Japanese industry that realizes the most important and fundamental rule of voice acting, CHILDREN SHOULD VOICE CHILDREN. But this work was nothing but a love-letter to a new generation of Shinji-ites.

Which is entirely my beef with it. Same with pretty much every Raimi Spiderman. If you smacked the kid in the back of the head and say, "WAKE UP! Get your head in reality!". There, movie over. Because the plot depends on the characters being piles of insecure goo and the worst part is when they end up exactly the same.
    I can see that.

I think they changed *just* enough to not be at exactly square one and have warranted the journey, but it would have been much stronger if there was more personal character time dedicated to that than beating the big raawr random internet monster thing. (There was also an awkward scene in the middle when he reluctantly held her pinky, then her hand, and then just held her) A lot of movies have really subtle character growth where the leads are concerned. I liked the movie, and I liked the halves, but I dunno that I cared for the whole they made when put together. I definitely agree with some of your points tho. And nosebleed jokes always suck, I really wish they'd go out of style.

Wolf Children I really, REALLY liked though and plan to watch again as soon as its *legally* released stateside.

And I pretty much hate the Raimi Spiderman movies, so...

Again, I think Mamoru is an incredible animator, and is one of the few in the Japanese industry that realizes the most important and fundamental rule of voice acting, CHILDREN SHOULD VOICE CHILDREN. But this work was nothing but a love-letter to a new generation of Shinji-ites.
    Isn't that a LOT of anime nowadays though? That and sparkly happy cute moe nonsense. I've found very few anime things to like in the last decade, a lot of it picked up the wrong lessons from EVA... but thats probably me being an old bitter bastard that likes what I like with less free time to watch new stuff than an actual industry problem.
    Last edited by Robby; March 7th, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unrequited View Post
    I side with Greg on this one.

"I totally used you!! *Kiss*"
    They kinda sorted that out much near the beginning of the movie,where Kenji was persuaded to go along with her act.

Been watching bits and pieces of Wolf Children over the last week. Still love it, and I've decided I'm fine with the ending.

But one part still doesn't work for me:

Spoiler:
    WHY DID HE HAVE TO BE IN WOLF FORM WHEN THEY SLEPT TOGETHER?

So unnecessarily creepy.

About Wolf Children, this a minor point, but...

Spoiler:
    I really wonder how the aging of wolf people works. It's stated (or at least implied) that Ame, at age 10, is an adult wolf, despite still being a human child. So how long will he live? His dad lived to be in his 20's at least. So I guess wolf people inherit the longevity of humans despite aging normally as a wolf up to adulthood? (from what I understand, wolves live to be about 20 at most)

Also curious how the designs of the wolf kids on the movie poster differ from their designs in the actual movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    About Wolf Children, this a minor point, but...

Spoiler:
    I really wonder how the aging of wolf people works. It's stated (or at least implied) that Ame, at age 10, is an adult wolf, despite still being a human child. So how long will he live? His dad lived to be in his 20's at least. So I guess wolf people inherit the longevity of humans despite aging normally as a wolf up to adulthood? (from what I understand, wolves live to be about 20 at most)
    [insert Luffy "It's magic" panel here.]

It's a tricky point.

Spoiler:
    I mean, in many ways it doesn't match up at all, since real wolves tend to be independent by at least the age of three and quite a few don't even live to the age of ten. And when he does leave the home at the age of ten, he still looks like a fairly young wolf (like a three-year-old or so). So I think your idea of age hybridization--with the aid of a little plot magic--is right.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information