+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda thread (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Also curious how the designs of the wolf kids on the movie poster differ from their designs in the actual movie.
    I think the poster was done pretty early in the production. It existed for at *least* a year before the movie came out with the first announcement for it, and by the time of release it has been so heavily advertised with, tweaking it to change the hair colors or designs slightly would have been weird. And the designs aren't *so* far off that they're indistinguishable.

Can always write it off as the lighting.

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda thread (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children)

THIS SCENE:

Spoiler:

Every time, man.

Yeah, that's pure joy right there.

Especially in looping GIF format.

Still kinda weird seeing a kid run through the snow barefoot, but yes, beautiful all the same.

I love the way she looks at the "camera" at the beginning. It's such a subtle way of bringing the audience in on the moment. Perfect.

So. Makoto Shinkai's next work Kotonoha no Niwa, The Garden of Words, has a five minute trailer out.
    (Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Children Who Chase Lost Voices)

His stuff has *always* looked really good visually, and his skies and color choices are pretty much a visual trademark, but this... just looks... wow. How the hell do you animate and paint backgrounds at that level?

I didn't really care for Voices from a Distant Star despite the visuals, and I never really followed up on any of his other stuff... (I *think* I also saw he Place Promised in Our Early Days... but I don't remember anything about it...) but seeing that, then looking at the trailers for his other movies... I think I probably should.

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

Good scott. Worth seeing for the eye candy alone.

Makoto Shinkai's stuff really hit me during my adolescent-to-18 years, but unlike a lot of stuff from that time period, I don't really associate him too much with it to have been soured on his stuff so

Pretty pumped for this, that background design is beautiful

Sometimes I've thought about rewatching 5 Centimeters Per Second buuuuuut

Makoto Shinkai, huh? The only experience I have with his work is that I tried watching a sub of 5 Centimeters per Second, but I gave up on it after 5 minutes (I guess the title was indicative of how fast the story moves).

Nah, but seriously, I guess I'll try to check out some of his other work and, yes, try to rewatch 5CpS.

That new film look gorgeous though. Wish I knew what they were saying.

Ihaven't seen 5 centimeters but if its like the other two, it's probably very pretty, but really slow.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices looks the most interesting of the bunch. I'm probably gonna try to fit some of these in along with the Ghibli rewatches.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

So, I'm watching 5 centimeters per second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6hmjeyQ8M

I'm 20 minutes into an hour long film and I'm booooored.
    Spoiler:
    Enough that I had to stop and say as much. The backgrounds look nice, but its absolutely nothing but very slow camera pans over the pretty backgrounds, with voice over narration to get around doing animation as much as possible. Backs of the heads, shots of feet, shots of food, more slow pans of the background... very "avoid animating if at all possible." (And the theme of writing long distance letters and changing and growing up thematically seems pretty identical to Voices from a distant Star)

And... well... waiting for a bus or a train in real life is boring enough. Watching a character in a movie do it... in real time... is not the most riveting of media.

The backgrounds may be gorgeous, but NOTHING IS GOING ON!

Well, maybe the remaining 40 minutes will be better. Apparently this thing is broken up into distinct acts.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Nope. The second portion was a little more interesting but didn't go anywhere... and the third act in 10 minutes tried to pretend it had the weight and character arcs of a 26 episode season of a series in a quick montage, including characters that hadn't even been in the movie so far.

None of the three acts were that strong, and as a whole they certainly didn't come together.

the backgrounds were certainly pretty, but could have practically been photographs honestly... while the character work was... kind of amateurish. Weird blend.

Overall I'm left with about the same feeling as I had after Voices from a Distant Star... and if Place Promised in Our Younger Days is similar, I'd believe that I've seen it but don't remember it. You know you're in trouble when after you've seen a movie you have to go to wikipedia to read the synopsis to try and figure out what the point was, and the conclusion other people have come to. (When the movie isn't 2001 at any rate.)

It's even worse when the conclusion others have come to is "the point of the movie was never to have an ending or any satisfactory resolution, the point was that you don't get those things" and they then praise it for that... just... no. That's real life, that's not storytelling.

It's interesting that Shinkai is *also* being hailed as "The Next Miyazaki" (which he refutes as nonsense) and, like Hosoda, its easy to see why the comparison is made... they know how to put together a good animation team and make some beautiful looking scenery... But I don't see the storytelling or character work or pure imagination there.

Maybe inner monologues with no animation that lead nowhere while the camera slow pans over a background are up some folk's alleys, but not mine.

Oh well, still gonna try to catch Children Who Chase Lost Voices since the trailer looked cool... and The Garden of Words just looks to gorgeous not to watch when it comes out.

Well, nevermind, guess I won't be rewatching 5 Centimeters per Second. If it's anything like you just described Robby, I'm sure I probaby won't like it. I mean, if the opportunity comes up to watch it, I guess I will, but I probably won't go out of my way to watch it.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices sounds pretty interesting though. Can anyone vouch for it?

5CPS is basically pretty good for unhappy people who need something unhappy, or maybe (though I'd hate to imagine it) people who still dwell on the mistakes of youth or awful memories. When it came out I was exceptionally pleased viewing it and felt pretty great coming out of it

But yes Children Who Chase Lost Voices is the Shinkai movie for people who don't like Shinkai movies very much

I'm extra disappointed because when I saw that five minute trailer earlier today for Garden, my reaction was basically, "Holy crap! I know i haven't really paid attention since his first short film, have I been totally overlooking something awesome?"

And then I checked the wikipedia and saw that he's being hailed as a new Miyazaki and that he's done a LOT of stuff in the last 10 years and I got excited about catching something I'd been missing out on and...

No, its pretty much exactly the same boredom I had with it before. Beautiful skies and super detailed backgrounds and... insomnia curing story. I can totally see that some people would love this stuff, but its just not for me. And that's really disappointing.

(Similarly, the Ghibli rewatch-athon is convincing me that Isao Takahata isn't for me either. Even Miyazaki himself is only for me *most* of the time.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    5CPS is basically pretty good for unhappy people who need something unhappy, or maybe (though I'd hate to imagine it) people who still dwell on the mistakes of youth or awful memories.
    I suppose I could see that.

Have to really be in the mood for it or suffering a break up or something?

But yes Children Who Chase Lost Voices is the Shinkai movie for people who don't like Shinkai movies very much
    Well, that's promising. Tho it apparently only hit dvd a few months ago, and it doesn't seem to be up and streaming anywhere easy... dunno that I want to actually buy it sight unseen after the other films, evn if its totally different in tone.

(And dang it Wolf Children, be on sale already, or at least pre-order, I want to buy you!)

Note to self- also try to watch Colorful and Angel's egg

Rewatch Robot carnival

Do not watch Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. Super beautiful but also boring.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    I suppose I could see that.

Have to really be in the mood for it or suffering a break up or something?
    Yeahhhh...

As oxymoronic as it is to say for a movie with its pace, I feel like you gotta want it actively to be able to sit back and enjoy its Nothing (not to discount the whole thing, as it definitely has a rhyme to its reason and isn't literally Nothing). It's such a meditative movie I can only imagine the viewer enjoying it most, or even at all, when they're just be able to empathize with the characters without really demanding that the director give them a lot of reason to. It's a very funny thing to say, I think it's a really professional work and it sounds like I'm saying it's not, or only circumstantially "good" but...

But yeah, you just saw it so you prolly get what I mean.

I don't know how much a gamble is worth it to you, but I think Hoshi/Kodomo is a good palette cleanser for anybody who was like "okay I cannot give it a rat's ass about stupid kid hangups and Dead Inside Valley"

I can see that. Like, you *really* get Blues songs when you've been in a certain way... or suddenly Disney movies have a whole different feel when you're 15 and in love for the first time.

I'll try to hunt down CWCLV in the near future.

At least Ghibli week is getting to Whisper of the Heart this week, and that's one of my favorites.

I have a pretty similar reaction to Shinkai stuff as Robby.
    It's somewhere between "wooooh nice colors" and "....meh. zzzzz...."

For example that preview video above of Garden.
    "Hi, I'm overtly poetic sissy boy that gets emotional about absolute nothing"
    "And I'm this mysterious girl who won't say what's on my mind, instead I'm gonna walk off while citing EIGHTH CENTURY POEM out of Manyoushuu just so I can appear even more mysterious!"
    Cue the music.

No I mean, really. It's cringe worthy to me.

However, I disagree on Takahata, I think he has a sensibility no other animators have. Even when it's snooze inducing.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; May 16th, 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    However, I disagree on Takahata, I think he has a sensibility no other animators have. Even when it's snooze inducing.
    Takahata definitely has a unique voice. I just don't think its for me, given I haven't really liked any of his Ghibli films (but I haven't yet seen anything pre-ghibli.)

I can't see any official announced release dates have been announced, but I was at the funimation booth for a local con yesterday and asked about it...

Wolf Children will apparently FINALLY come out on dvd/blu ray Novemebr 12. Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    I can't see any official announced release dates have been announced, but I was at the funimation booth for a local con yesterday and asked about it...

Wolf Children will apparently FINALLY come out on dvd/blu ray Novemebr 12. Finally.
    I'll definitely pick it up then. Hope the dub is good.

Just wanted to remind everyone that Wolf Children is now available in the US on Blu Ray and DVD. It really is an exceptional movie, so be sure to pick it up this holiday season (I just ordered mine today on Amazon).

Yeah, sorry, not really anything else to report. Though I may post my thoughts on the movie after seeing it a second time and dubbed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information