+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

I'm upset because I ordered the blue ray for it and Strong World a the same time, and then I recieved them, and in both cases I had somehow ordered the dvd instead.

Rechecking my order,... yeah, I ordered the dvds. No idea how that happened. Twice.

But its such a pain to send them back and they were in fact a few bones cheaper as a result. So... I'll settle for the dvd for now, upgrade to blu later if I continue to love it, and then donate the dvd to someone.

Gonna watch it this weekend maybe.

Okay, so the first time I ordered Wolf Children on Amazon it was continuously delayed and ultimately cancelled. Then I tried a second from a different seller and I got it just a few days ago.

So, I just finished watching it for my second time and with the dub and, yeah, it's just amazing as when I first watched it. Maybe even better. There were so many times throughout the movie I was smiling, laughing, and getting teary-eyed (I actually really did start crying at the end with that song and the flashback pics). And, of course, there's that beautiful animation and, oh man, that soundtrack.

And the dub's great too. All the voices are pretty spot on and the dub help explained things I was a little unclear on from the fansubs.

But, yes, unfortunately Ame still does act pretty douche-y for the last 20 or so minutes of the film. I get that he's trying to go his own way down the path of the wolf, but him being so aloof and distant just doesn't feel warranted.

That aside, I still love this movie and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that the first half of the movie is mostly montages? Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's an interesting directing choice. And I think it works in the movie's favor since it's almost a retroactive look at the time Hana spent raising her children and all the little events that made up that time. And, of course, the movie slows down for the pivotal moments. Just thought I'd mention that.

Hey, I just picked up Summer Wars for Christmas!

Waiting for the price to come down on Wolf Children, but I still watch the winter scene when I'm feeling down. And when I'm not. It's just so good.

Genitals Rock. Rank: Failed Mutineer Prismeru's Avatar

Hey, i have a doubt about Wolf Children. Does the father have an official name? I've only seen him being called Ookami and i can't make the kanjis in his driver license so i can't know. Do you guys have any idea?
    Last edited by Prismeru; January 6th, 2014 at 09:32 PM.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    Hey, i have a doubt about Wolf Children. Does the father have an official name? I've only seen him being called Ookami and i can't make the kanjis in his driver license so i can't know. Do you guys have any idea?
    As far as I know, he has no official name. He's just Ookami or the Wolfman.

Hosoda's next film has been announced:

Film title is The Boy and the Beast and it'll be released on July 11, 2015

http://www.toonzone.net/2014/12/mamo...ilm-boy-beast/
    Last edited by Nobodyman; December 11th, 2014 at 12:27 PM.

I'm already lovin' it.

I can't imagine him doing anything else that hits me quite where Wolf Children did, but I like the look of it. Seems fun.

Indiscriminate Grappler Gokuyuske's Avatar

I'm pumped. I've really enjoyed the other movies he's made so hopefully this one will manage to capture the same spirit of adventure and whimsy.

Shipmate

Hosoda wants to film The Professional?

Woohoo! The film opened in Japan at 1st place in the box office. Close call with Terminator 5 (Arnie is huge in Japan).

Meanwhile I watched "Voices of a Distant Star" and "The Place Promised in Our Early Days"
    Two films which were both directed by Makoto Shinkai.
    One paragraph verdicts..

1. Voices of a Distant Star - Makoto Shinkai's favorite age group "The middle schoolers" star as the two lovers who seemingly don't care about their parents at all. It is a 25 minute sweet story that is a bit too short for you to completely care but I liked it. I think Christopher Nolan took some serious notes from this story for his "Interstellar" but then again maybe not. It's "Knights of Sydonia" meets "5cm per second" (although these two came years after this lol)

2. The Place Promised In Our Early Days - Again, the story starts with some middle schoolers and is set in a bizarre world. Actually, bat-shit crazy is more like it. I spoke out loud "Huh?!" at some of the dialogue, for example "I'm getting a part-time job at a factory that makes Guided Missiles during the summer in order to raise fund to make my airplane". As the story progresses it becomes harder and harder to follow with the dialogue that has too much scientific jargon one moment and is like an existential poem the next. This is the time when Makoto Shinkai got carried away with his own style that it alienated the audience. Might help with repeat viewings but I know I won't.
    1 sentence verdict: Impossible story, impenetrable script.

3DS Friend Code: 3196 - 6799 - 6143

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrano View Post
    Woohoo! The film opened in Japan at 1st place in the box office. Close call with Terminator 5 (Arnie is huge in Japan).
    Cool beans. Also, it's been licensed by Funimation and is getting a theatrical release in the US later this year.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/fu...ve-1201497564/

Might as well give my reviews on all the Makoto Shinkai and Hosoda Mamoru's films here.

1. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time:
    This is an amazing film, possibly my favorite film of all time forever in competition with The Apartment. The main character is just purely lovable and the story, while it may not make much sense, I thought was gorgeous. It was just so innocent and funny and lovable. I would give this film a big hug if I could.

2. One Piece 6th film:
    A superior One Piece feature length film, the art is pretty dodgy though. If you pause at some points the characters are unrecognizable but I think this is the only film in the series that had the distinct director's style that added to the overall atmosphere and the story. It starts like any other One Piece story arc but it is patient with its characters and lets the story come first instead of obligatory One Piece check boxes. Very mysterious, extremely moody, it will have you at the edge of your seat even though you just simply know everything will be alright at the end.

3. Summer Wars:
    Very entertaining film that's like a done-to-death theme thrown into a pinball machine. It involves a super programme trying to take over the world and of course it can be stopped with our hero and some friends uniting and striking back as a team. Also features one of the best Family in the history of films.

4. Wolf Children:
    The essential Hosoda Mamoru picture. It succeeds at every level. The visuals are nothing flashy but it is simply perfect for the story. All the characters are memorable and unique with all of them having kind heart. As a mixture of fantasy and realism it doesn't get better than this. I think this film pretty much seals the deal. Hosoda Mamoru IS the next Miyazaki.

5. 5cm Per Second:
    It is quite pretentious and I couldn't really connect with the main characters. They start off at middle school (Shinkai Makoto's favorite age level) and the film has three different stories to tell all in eye wateringly fantastic visuals. Seriously. Your eyes are about to melt a minute into this film. I guess all of Shinkai Makoto's films are worth watching just for the sake of watching. After the first story which can be summed as: A train is awfully late, the second story is more involving. That is important if you want to tell a love story. You want to like these characters, you want to relate to their passion, their brooding, their longing gazes. Well, I was able to relate to the heroine in the second story. And that shot of a rocket flying into the night sky? It is amazing. But I keep thinking, what if this guy had a better story to tell? The third story comes back to the hero of the first story and it's too short to accomplish anything. But I did enjoy the ending song.
    Oh yeah, did I mention that the picture looks absolutely fantastic?

6. The Children Who Chase Lost Voices:
    Shinkai Makoto's stab at Miyazaki's fantasy classics like Laputa, Spirited Away and Momonoke Hime. But it is truly unfortunate that the film reminded us of the films that we'd rather be watching than this. And the violence. It is quite shocking at moments and quite unnecessary. Well, the ambition is clear and the world building is neat. Too bad it was so tedious as the make-it-up-as-you-go story crawled itself to the end.

7. Garden of Words:
    I think this is the best Shinkai Makoto film I've seen yet. The visuals are top-notch as usual and the story I thought was more involving this time around. A student befriends a disgraced teacher while skipping classes on rainy day. It is only 40 minutes long and it does have a musical number at the end. Add the visuals and I think it all works in favor of the film. The story Shinkai Makoto wants to tell is clear and the characters are likable. Frankly, I wanted more. Maybe the next film he does might be a step up.

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie...and-the-beast/

Boy and the Beast hits select U.S. theatres March 4. If this follows usual trends it'll only be big cities, and maybe Toronto... and it will be in those places for all of three showings... but hopefully that means DVD release won't be too long after.

Tickets go on sale on February 5th,

And the Japanese dvd release is February 24, so I imagine we'll start seeing subbed versions online within a couple days of that.
    Last edited by Robby; February 21st, 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Went and saw Boy and the Beast today. All around, a really solid film and another success for Hosoda.

Overall, I'd say it's actually his most competently told story in that I can't think of any major thing that really drags the movie down. That said, it doesn't quite reach the emotional heights of, say, Wolf Children and I guess maybe I was hoping for a little more from the fantasy Beast World setting, but it's still really good.

Right now, I'd say Wolf Children is still my favorite, but this is a close second. If you get a chance to see it, by all means, do so.

It's also now online for viewing in places. There was a horrific sub two weeks ago, but a decent one is up now. I haven't watched it yet beyond the first thirty seconds to check the sub quality, but its around.

I plan to catch it in a Toronto theatre when it gets there at the start of April so I'm gonna try to hold back but for anyone else that wants to see it...

http://animeflavor.me/anime-movie/bakemono-no-ko

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's also now online for viewing in places. There was a horrific sub two weeks ago, but a decent one is up now. I haven't watched it yet beyond the first thirty seconds to check the sub quality, but its around.

I plan to catch it in a Toronto theatre when it gets there at the start of April so I'm gonna try to hold back but for anyone else that wants to see it...

http://animeflavor.me/anime-movie/bakemono-no-ko
    Thanks !!!!!!! Was looking everywhere for a decent sub quality.

Okay, I couldn't hold out and watched it.

Wonderful visuals. LOVED the first half, not a super fan of the second half. Wolf Children was kind of the same. (ANd Kyuuta grew up to look kinda exactly like the boyo in that...) Kumatetsu was great, he reminded me of Luffy.

Not going to say anything else because spoilers but yeah, another goodie from Hosoda. His track record has been superb thus far, I think he gets to go on my favorite director's list at this point.

So... the next one is in what, 2018? Sigh.

Boy and the Beast hits english DVD/Blu ray JUNE 7.

Also, Girl Who Leapt Through Time will finally be re-released the same day. It's been out of print and super expensive for some time.

I didn't love B&TB same way I loved WOlf CHildren, but it was still really cool and I liked the first half quite a bit. Worth seeing for the visuals alone.

Finally got around to watching The Boy and the Beast. Eeeeeh. Agreed that the first half (third?) is great, and the animation is always top-notch, but the sharp right turn it takes at that point was a little too sharp for me. It seems to be a hallmark of all of his movies thus far, but just seemed less successful in this one. Plus this one really has two pretty sharp turns (the concluding conflict being the other).

I'd still go with Summer Wars as his most complete movie and Wolf Children as his best, with this and The Girl Who Leapt through Time on a pretty even level.

Worth watching, but not something that's going to stick with me like the last two.

Really disliked the character of Kaede in Boy and the Beast.
    She was a walking cliche and possibly the least interesting character in all of Hosoda Mamoru's films.
    I really liked the Beast characters and the whale scenes were super cool but this was a thin soup compared to other films by this great director.
    Still recommended.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information