+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

After a couple of films, I'm starting to think Hosoda has a particular idea of what a proper japanese woman should be, and he has characters that reflect that. Like Yuki in Wolf Children started out as a feral wild child, then she grew hup, her hair darkened, and she became a proper japanese girl interested in makeup and boys and such. Natsuki in SUmmer Wars was also a pretty straightforward blank slate who didn't have much interesting going on aside from her secret crush on Kenji... it was her family and the game world that was interesting.

In BatB,
    Spoiler:
    I was fine with the kid growing up and returning to the normal world and finding a normal girl as a contrast to his crazy martial artist life... that fits the nature of the story and goes back to Tarzan or Jungle Book and it's totally fine... but it is a shame that it was so similar to the first 10 minutes of Wolf Children.. and it probably shouldn't have been the middle of the movie. But it was mostly the stuff with the rival that turned into a whale that was just...what? Neat visuals but... what?

As he does more films it'll be easier to tell where his strengths, weaknesses, characters, and interests lie...and some films are going to be weaker or stronger than others... and that's fine and true of any director. Still interested to see what he does next.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Spoiler:
    But it was mostly the stuff with the rival that turned into a whale that was just...what? Neat visuals but... what?
    Spoiler:
    It's worth remembering that Ichirohiko doesn't just randomly turns into a whale, but it was distinctly and directly inspired by Moby Dick (whether Ichirohiko was aware of it or not.) Understanding the book is actually kind of vital to understanding the movie, in that sense. A recurring issue for Ren through the movie is his conflict with his own inner "beast" which takes on a physical manifestation, that he has to make peace with in order to earn his ending. When Ichirohiko is consumed by that very same nature, he's literally becoming his own "white whale," which in his case is his budding resentment for Ren. So it's a visual metaphor for another literary character who became a monster due to his inability to let go of his hatred. Silly as hell? Yes, but it's thematically appropriate.

Also, while your interpretation of Kaede certainly isn't wrong, I think it's more worthwhile to view her in the context of the movie being about Ren's relationship with his various "teachers." She's meant to contrast with Kumatetsu, and her teaching Ren to read (again, in more than one sense) represents his finding a balance between the human and beast sides of himself. So she's still mostly meant as a means for Ren to develop, just maybe in a different way than how you saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post
    [spoiler]It's worth remembering that Ichirohiko doesn't just randomly turns into a whale, but it was distinctly and directly inspired by Moby Dick (whether Ichirohiko was aware of it or not.) Understanding the book is actually kind of vital to understanding the movie, in that sense. A recurring issue for Ren through the movie is his conflict with his own inner "beast" which takes on a physical manifestation, it.
    That's a very fair synopsis, and I get it. My main issue is just...why did that become the lynchpin of the whole movie? Besides the obvious problem--
    Spoiler:
    Ichirohiko is barely present in the movie beforehand and not developed at all
    --I had more problems with the thematic diversity of the movie than I did the narrative diversity. I would have happily had the movie completely excise the darkness-in-the-heart storyline--at least to the extent it pursued it at the end--and still enjoyed a general coming-of-age story, with some perspectives on learning and growing. Just seemed like it was an entirely different thread.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrano View Post
    Really disliked the character of Kaede in Boy and the Beast.She was a walking cliche and possibly the least interesting character in all of Hosoda Mamoru's films.
    She was a little on-the-nose. Tended to explain to the audience what the movie was already theoretically showing.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    After a couple of films, I'm starting to think Hosoda has a particular idea of what a proper japanese woman should be, and he has characters that reflect that. Like Yuki in Wolf Children started out as a feral wild child, then she grew hup, her hair darkened, and she became a proper japanese girl interested in makeup and boys and such. Natsuki in SUmmer Wars was also a pretty straightforward blank slate who didn't have much interesting going on aside from her secret crush on Kenji... it was her family and the game world that was interesting.
    Besides thinking this is a small disservice to Natsuki (but I love that movie so), I'm thinking Makoto was pretty different in Girl Who Leapt through Time as well. Been a long time, but think she stayed pretty independent throughout.
    As he does more films it'll be easier to tell where his strengths, weaknesses, characters, and interests lie...and some films are going to be weaker or stronger than others... and that's fine and true of any director. Still interested to see what he does next.
    Yeah, if this is one of his weak films, well, please keep making films.
    Hang in there, Kierkegaard.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    [/spoiler]--I had more problems with the thematic diversity of the movie than I did the narrative diversity. I would have happily had the movie completely excise the darkness-in-the-heart storyline--at least to the extent it pursued it at the end--and still enjoyed a general coming-of-age story, with some perspectives on learning and growing. Just seemed like it was an entirely different thread.
    Yeah. Just the coming of age stuff and then finding his place in the world woulda been great, the revenge stuff really felt superfluous. The slice of life stuff is really the director's strength.

Besides thinking this is a small disservice to Natsuki (but I love that movie so), I'm thinking Makoto was pretty different in Girl Who Leapt through Time as well. Been a long time, but think she stayed pretty independent throughout.Yeah, if this is one of his weak films, well, please keep making films.
    Speaking in broad terms on Natsuki.... who to be fair has to share the movie with like 40 other people.

I left out GWLTT intentionally, since
    a) she was the main, and almost only, character in that movie
    b)that's an established franchise with many itterations, movies and tv series and manga going back decades to an original novel. I haven't seen any of the others, and the director added his own touches, obviously, but its not wholecloth his creation like the other three movies.

Same reason I don't mention One Piece movie 6 or Digimon, though those certainly bear some of his marks too. (You don't see any of him in his dragonball or galaxy express or yu yu hakusho work, but he was mostly just an animator on that stuff.)

The trailer was out for months but I've recently found out about Makoto Shinkai's new film coming up very soon.
    I'll make sure to have tissues near me when I watch this.

3DS Friend Code: 3196 - 6799 - 6143

Looks like Shinkai Makoto hit an amazing home run this time. Sorry, HOME RUN.
    It is rated #1 in Myanimelist (where people are usually very stingy on score - just my opinion).
    Just from googling it, I learn that it has outgrossed One Piece Film Gold and has broken the record to become the first none Ghibli film to gross 10 billion yen (according to IMDb trivia).

Amazing. Shinkai Makoto has been a mixed bag for me until now but after Garden of Words I have been looking forward to this.
    Now I can't wait.

3DS Friend Code: 3196 - 6799 - 6143

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/...ve-1202429514/

Hosoda's next film will be “Mirai”,

which follows a 4-year old boy who is struggling to cope with the arrival of a little sister in the family, until things turn magical. A mysterious garden in the backyard of the boy’s home becomes a gateway allowing the child to travel in time and encounter his mother as a little girl, his great-grandfather as a young man and his sister has a grown woman. These fantasy-filled adventures allow the child to change his perspective and help him become the big brother he was meant to be.
    It is "expected to be completed" in May 2018.

So far away. And then it'll take forever to get to dvd and then be subtitled...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information