+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

I'M SO SORRY FOR LIKING A THING ON THE INTERNET.

*sobs and wails*

Alright, so I finally got around to watching Your Name, the Makoto Shinkai that everyone's raving about it, so, naturally, I had to see it. And...yeah, I quite enjoyed it. It was a really good movie. Beautifully animated and solid heart-warming story. About halfway through, I got a little nervous since I wasn't really sure where the movie was going, but I was quite pleased once everything came together in the final act. And, though I feel they were a tad underdeveloped, I did care about Taki and Mitsuha and was worried about what would happen to them.

So yeah, while I didn't like it as much as, say, Wolf Children, it's a good film and I'm glad I saw it.

Last edited by Nobodyman; February 18th, 2018 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Alright, so I finally got around to watching Your Name, the Makoto Shinkai that everyone's raving about it, so, naturally, I had to see it. And...yeah, I quite enjoyed it. It was a really good movie. Beautifully animated and solid heart-warming story. About halfway through, I got a little nervous since I wasn't really sure where the movie was going, but I was quite pleased once everything came together in the final act. And, though I feel they were a tad underdeveloped, I did care about Taki and Mitsuha and was worried about what would happen to them.

So yeah, while I wouldn't say I like it as much as, say, Wolf Children, it's a good film and I'm glad I saw it.
    *hug*

WELCOME ABOARD.

How this didn't get posted back in March when it first popped up I don't know. Hosoda's fifth film, (not counting franchises) Mirai (The Girl from the Future)

That looks like a Hosoda film all right.

Its already out in Japan and apparently hits North America at the end of November. (If that's limited theatrical or dvd release, I'm not sure.)

Well, I really liked Summer Wars and LOVED Wolf Children, but was only okay with GHLTT and Boy and the Beast, so... we'll see.

Just saw Mirai, the new Mamoru Hosoda film

Spoiler:
    The best way I can describe it is cute, but...strange.

So going in I wasn't really sure what to expect. All I knew was that it was about a young boy who, after getting a baby sister, goes on a magical journey where he meets her future self. And yes, that's true, but that's really only part of the story.

The basic premise is that Kun (that's the boy's name), after getting his new sister (Mirai), becomes jealous and starts acting like a brat. Throughout the movie, Kun has a series of tantrums and after each one he's goes on a mystical time-traveling adventure, each time initiated when he enters his home's courtyard. Through these adventures, he learns more about and comes to terms with each of his family members; his sister, his mom, his dad, and even the family dog who, strangely, becomes an anthropomorphized human. Not sure why the dog becomes human. I guess to make him more relatable and sympathetic to Kun (and the audience)?

So yeah, that sounds like a nice enough premise for a movie, but I feel like it lacks focus. The thing is, while Kun does go on journey's where he learns about each of his family members, they still try to make his relationship with Mirai the core of the story. And I think that's the movie's biggest problem is that they try to have it both ways. If they wanted to make a movie solely about a learning about each member of his family equally, fine. And if they wanted it to be more focused on just the brother and sister, that's also fine. But they try to do both and I feel like each one kind of detracts from the other. I mean, based on the posters and marketing, you'd think that Mirai's future self would play a bigger role, but she's only prominent in two of Kun's five adventures. Maybe if they had just kept her as a companion throughout the whole thing it would've worked better?

Also, it's a bit of a daring move to make a toddler the main character of your story, which I can commend Hosoda for trying, but also confess that I'm not sure he totally succeeds. The thing about toddlers is that they're still very much in their developmental stage, so it seems a little unfair to put one through such an an intense and emotional character arc. But, then again, I guess the story never gets too dire. And up to the end, it's left ambiguous as to whether this is all actually happening or if it's just in Kun's head. And one could argue that Kun's adventures are just a creative visual metaphor of him going through that developmental process.

That said, Kun himself can get pretty grating. I think another problem with the film is that you're never quite sure what, if any, progress he's making throughout his adventures. At the end of each adventure it seems like he's learned something, but then in the next scene he just goes back to his bratty self (that is until the very end anyway)

Anyway, as is typical of my movie reviews, I guess it may sound like I thought this movie was a disappointment, but on the contrary there's lots to like about. The animation and designs are great, as is typical of Hosoda's art. There aren't as many dashing or awe-inspiring segments as in his previous films, but this is a simpler film, so I guess it's not really warranted. And, of course, Kun and Mirai just have those adorable designs that make you want to cuddle them and pinch their cheeks. That said, going back to the strange factor, this is probably Hosoda's most experimental film, art-wise. He makes a lot more use of CGI in this film, particularly in one segment Kun's final adventure, and well...yeah, I think your mileage is definitely gonna vary on it.

And, for the most part, all the characters are likeable and relatable. I know I said that Kun can be grating, but you kinda give him a pass since he is a toddler after all, and it is understandable that he would act that way. And, of course, he learns his lesson at the end.

Oh, and I'm sure some of you may be wondering if this film also falls prey to Hosoda's third act curse (for those who don't know, Hosoda tends to have trouble bringing his stories together in the third act). I'm happy to report that that was not the case in this movie. The quality of the film stays pretty consistent throughout the whole thing (at least from my point of view). But, as I said before, the film still does have issues, mainly in the overall structure and focus of it.

So yeah, that's pretty much Mirai. A cute, leisurely-paced, somewhat flawed, but delightful slice-of-life fantasy film that continues Hosoda's trend of exploring family relationships. And though it doesn't reach the emotional heights of Wolf Children (which remains my favorite Hosoda film) it's still a very sweet well-meaning movie that I'd say is worth your time. I'm not sure where this movie will stand in my ranking of Hosoda's films over time, but for now I can at least say that it definitely was not quite what I was expecting.

For what it's worth, I thought Mirai sucked. Feels like Hosoda has lost all grasp of narrative since Wolf Children, and even that had some flow problems. There are some cute moments and great animation, but I kept waiting for it to find a gear or a theme or something and then it just...ended. Genuinely annoyed I paid money to see it.

And FWIW, I'm usually fully on board with Nobodyman's takes [see Your Name hug above], so I could definitely be an outlier on this one. But...well, I might go into it more later, but I thought it was just an unfocused mess that never really demonstrated any good reason to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    And FWIW, I'm usually fully on board with Nobodyman's takes [see Your Name hug above], so I could definitely be an outlier on this one. But...well, I might go into it more later, but I thought it was just an unfocused mess that never really demonstrated any good reason to exist.
    I'll probably have to see it again and see how it holds up on a second viewing, but I definitely agree with you that the film was very unfocused. But it does have a 92% rating on RT, so I guess most people liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I'll probably have to see it again and see how it holds up on a second viewing, but I definitely agree with you that the film was very unfocused. But it does have a 92% rating on RT, so I guess most people liked it.
    Yeah, I was surprised how far off I was from the general reviews. Very similar to Ponyo, which I hated but got rave reviews and generally positive reception from folk I knew.

I'll try and parse my way through it tomorrow, but still kind of annoyed at the moment.

So, a few more specific thoughts:

Spoiler:
    The movie is very vignette-based, which is perfectly fine, but they don't really have much to do with each other. In particular, the two most entertaining and compelling sequences--Future Mirai with the dolls and Kun with his great-grandfather--are from two entirely different movies. The Future Mirai sequence really sets up this whole mystery--why is she here from the future? What's the deal with the Future Mirai/Baby Mirai not being able to be in the same area? Is she actually visible/present to other folk, like her father?--and does absolutely jack-shit with it. For the movie supposedly centering on Mirai, she's not even in it much. Meanwhile, the whole "learning to ride a bike" sequence is actually great and endearing and all, but what does it have to do with anything else? A movie centered around Future Mirai or a movie centered on Kun learning from the history of his family would be great, but it half-asses both and they barely interconnect.

For that matter, what is the theme of the movie? It seems to be Future Mirai's last little speech about how families are made up of all the little choices, but that's barely relevant to half the movie. And for that matter, why is she travelling back in time to teach that to Toddler-Kun? I thought that the last fantasy sequence might reference Future-Kun running away and Mirai trying to stop it, but...why is this the approach? And even then, that's probably just me trying to find some meaning in all that pointless weirdness.

Doesn't help that the movie falls flat in every other regard for me as well. The soundtrack is very middle-of-the-road, Kun is pretty unlikable even by "annoying kid" standards [and what's with his voice actor?], there's barely even any good emotional payoff for the vignettes, and the best characters are either in it briefly or get no payoff. AND WHY DID HE TURN INTO A DOG AT THAT ONE POINT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

One last thought on why reviews and my take were so far apart--and I may sound pretentious here, because, again, Nobodyman liked the movie and he has more sense than I do--is that the movie taps into an area that's still pretty badly underserved in western cinema, namely slice-of-life film-making. Plus, with the decline of non-CGI animation in the West, think there's a tendency to be more impressed with this stuff over here than elsewhere (see previous critiques of my love for Your Name's animation for one example). But man, this was a disappointment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Nobodyman liked the movie and he has more sense than I do
    LOL, I have NO idea why you would think that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information