+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The One Piece Podcast Goes to Japan

of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar

Default The One Piece Podcast Goes to Japan

THE ONE PIECE PODCAST GOES TO JAPAN KICKSTARTER

Podcast hosts Greg and Zach will bring The One Piece Podcast to Japan with video interviews, video tours, cultural insights and more!

Our ultimate goal -- to sit down with the directors, editors or creator of One Piece.

The podcast will be heading to Japan to film a video documentary series for The One Piece Podcast. As part of the series we will have live video events, we hope to have video interviews, video tours of Japan, and cultural insights. Zach Logan will head to Japan with his audio equipment and video equipment to prepare both audio and video podcasts from the land where One Piece was born. We also hope to visit One Piece events, exhibitions, One Piece bars, Shueisha, and more.

Greg will also be joining us in Tokyo for the duration of trip! You will get to see everything we see. We will give you a perspective of Japan only we at The One Piece Podcast can. Here are some of the events going on this August that we plan on reporting on:

Bandai Namco "Weekly Shonen Jump" Theme Park (Ikebukuro, Tokyo)
    United States of Odaiba 2013 (Odaiba, Tokyo)
    One Piece Grand Arena Tour (Shizuoka Twin Messe, Shizuoka)
    One Piece Planetarium (Toshima-ku, Tokyo)
    The United States of Odaiba (Odaiba, Tokyo)

To do this we need to raise $7,000 by May 20, 2013 at 7:59pm EST. As part of this we will be offering a long list of awesome rewards for those that donate a certain amount! Those rewards will be given after the project is funded!

Our full itinerary will be ready soon, along with a video! As we approach our fourth anniversary, you have the opportunity to help us do something we would never be able to do, and perhaps, we could have the opportunity to do what we have tried to do when we started this podcast in 2009: talk with the creators, editors, and directors of the series in Japan. Please spread the word so that we can make this happen! We will bring updates to our website and Arlong Park as it happens!
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

The views expressed are solely my own.

Some place similar to, yet legally distinct from the Grand Line

Default Re: The One Piece Podcast Goes to Japan

Awesome news, Zach! How is the studying going for you?

Anyway, I'll give what I can (not much, if anything at all, unfortunately), but I will spread the word about this.

Love the podcast and good luck with meeting Oda someday!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blades View Post
    Awesome news, Zach! How is the studying going for you?

Anyway, I'll give what I can (not much, if anything at all, unfortunately), but I will spread the word about this.

Love the podcast and good luck with meeting Oda someday!
    Thanks! Studying is going, the worst of it is from May-July. Thanks for the well wishes!
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

Default The Chance to Meet Oda or the Editors: The One Piece Podcast in Japan

The podcast will be heading to Japan to film a video documentary series for The One Piece Podcast. As part of the series we will have live video events, we hope to have video interviews, video tours of Japan, and cultural insights. We will head to Japan to put together a webseries straight from the land where One Piece was born. We also will visit One Piece events, exhibitions, One Piece bars, Shueisha, Toei and more.

Greg will be joining us in Tokyo for the duration of trip, so you can bet it'll be amazing! You will get to see everything we see. We will give you a perspective of Japan only we at The One Piece Podcast can.

Support the project today, and help us bring you interviews with voice actors, editors, and maybe even Oda himself.

Here are some of the events going on this August that we plan on reporting on:

Bandai Namco "Weekly Shonen Jump" Theme Park (Ikebukuro, Tokyo)
    United States of Odaiba 2013 (Odaiba, Tokyo)
    One Piece Grand Arena Tour (Shizuoka Twin Messe, Shizuoka)
    One Piece Planetarium (Toshima-ku, Tokyo)
    The United States of Odaiba (Odaiba, Tokyo)

Check out our Q&A for more information:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32111755

To do this we need to raise $7,000 by May 20, 2013 at 7:59pm EST. We're already nearly at $5,000! Every dollar helps bring us closer to our goal. As per Kickstarter rules, we need to raise the full amount in order to make this project a reality.

As part of this we will be offering a long list of awesome rewards for those that donate a certain amount! Those rewards will be given after the project is funded! See some of them by clicking the spoiler button:

Spoiler:

$15+ EXCLUSIVE VIDEO/AUDIO/BLOG // Get access to an exclusive live blog where Zach posts about the trip to Japan as it happens, with photos, videos and more! (For all who donate $15 or more)

$125+ CHARACTER DRAWING // Alina James will draw a character of your choice in a situation of your choice, limited to a single character.

$150+ MANGA AND ANIME // Free 30 Day Crunchyroll Pass + two free VIZ One Piece manga volume of your choice!

$200+ EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE // Exclusive access to uncut/uncensored footage from Japan (pending availability) + a one year subscription to the online American Weekly Shonen Jump.

$300+ REQUEST-A-SWAG // You pick a One Piece character, and Zach will personally search Japan for one piece of merchandise related to that character, and send it to you when he gets back. Make it easy and say Chopper! (Zach chooses the merch, you choose the character, he’ll make it good!)

$800+ INFLUENCE ONE PIECE // A member of the podcast will offer your (realistic) suggestion for the growth and development of Weekly Shonen JUMP to a crucial member of the creative staff.

$1000+ RARE ONE PIECE SWAG // “One Piece Rainbow” signed by J. Michael Tatum, Brina Palencia and other FUNimation Voice Actors PLUS additional -rare- One Piece swag!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them! Thank you for your support!
    Last edited by Zach Logan; May 6th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Default Re: The Chance to Meet Oda or the Editors: The One Piece Podcast in Japan

How interesting this sounds really cool Zach.

I would love to pitch in for this but I am real thin on money atm... prehaps sometime inbetween the due date and now I might be able to donate.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Default Re: The Chance to Meet Oda or the Editors: The One Piece Podcast in Japan

Weeaboos going to Japan and I should care because.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Smile View Post
    Normally I'd say you shouldn't, but we have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bring the world interviews with the people that make the One Piece manga and anime possible. Greg has been featured on the popular Japanese show Hoko x Tate and currently has his own column in V Jump for Shueisha, so this is not some sort of pipe dream.
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

What the fuck is wrong with you? Where do you even think you are? You're getting possible videos of the people that make this (forms of One Piece) possible.

A nobody tries to act tough and we should care because.....?

Best of luck to you and the podcast, Zach. I'd donate but I'm cash-strapped atm. :/

Outta curiosity, how'd you get this opportunity? Did you call Shueisha and they gave you the okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    Outta curiosity, how'd you get this opportunity? Did you call Shueisha and they gave you the okay?
    This is a mere confluence of circumstance, though we are reaching out to every avenue we can.
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

Isn't that false advertising then? You make it sound like meeting the editors is a thing nearly set in stone.

I would donate if we got a confirmation of some things you are promising.

Yeah I do not feel very comfortable in investing in something like this if there isn't some sort of guarantee that something will come out of this aside from a few vacation videos that will probably be found in youtube/niconico of these events/locations. The interviews are driving force behind this endeavor and if that isn't fully guaranteed, then I don't see much of a reason to invest in this.

Hopefully the confirmation will happen within the two weeks remaining.

We will, and definitely before the clock runs out. It's not set in stone, but it's damn close. It's a hard thing to announce this far out, but with the connections Greg has, and the connections we have as a podcast, there are a lot of options.

Watch this space and the podcast site for an announcement.
    Last edited by Zach Logan; May 6th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

As it stands it is a Catch 22 for all the right reasons.

1. We cannot say exactly who we will interview because we cannot promise that everything will work out and if we promise interviews with X, Y & Z, that would be false advertising.

2. Without being funded, we cannot confirm an interview with said individuals if the project doesn't go forward. It's not a matter of asking if they're interested, we must come to them with dates that we know we will be available. Anything other than that would be considered rude from a business perspective.

The criticisms raised by valiantt are valid. There are plenty of kickstarter programs out there that cannot make promises to deliver all that they promise and although we'd love to say we will/won't have interviews, I don't think Zach, myself or anyone from the podcast wants to do that just to get a few donations by being dishonest.

That said, since I'm One Piece staff now

If the project is successfully funded and we're able to talk to Toei and Shueisha with specific dates and times as well as method (since we may not be able to capture all individuals directly on video and/or show their faces for privacy reasons) it will be much more than a glorified vacation video.

If the project isn't funded, it's a shame but I'd rather that than have people believing something false as opposed to the already generous donations which are basically 70+ people basically saying they have complete faith in us to deliver.

As it stands, we are directly going through appropriate official (including my own connections) channels to progress as far as we can, but there's only so much we can do until we approach the higher-ups at Shueisha and Toei with solid dates.

It sucks but if people choose not to be a part of it, I totally respect and understand that.

As far as people we ARE trying to contact and have something of a chance to correspond with, we detailed some of them on an After Dark episode of the podcast and we are also trying to keep some to ourselves as (in the event of a successful trip) a surprise.

Last chance to submit questions for:

Manga Editor of One Piece: Takeru Isaka
    Mugiwara Store reps
    J-World Amusement Park Producer
    Oda's Co-worker from Restaurant Baratei
    Oda's High School Homeroom Teacher

Those of you who donated helped make this event happen so we'd love you to be a part of it!

Woo you guys made it!

I guess this is the best place to say it - heard the Podcast today guys and.. CONGRATULATIONS GREG! OMGGG MY JAW DROPPED, I WAS GRINNING LIKE AN IDIOT AND ALMOST CRIED. :D
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information