+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which FUNimation dub voices are you your least favorite?

Default Re: Which FUNimation dub voices are you your least favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
    Franky's voice is the worst
    I agree, compared to the Japanese voice it's almost like a part of his character is lost.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

I see nothing wrong with Franky's dub voice

I so far haven't been unsatisfied with any dub voice
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    I see nothing wrong with Franky's dub voice
    I agree as well. Even though Franky's Japanese VA makes me laugh a bit more (because of his voice), it's really weird to hear a big ass guy like Franky with a nasally voice.

Don Krieg's is probably my least favorite overall. This isn't necessarily a qualm against the voice actors, but I hate that they erased Arlong's and Eneru's laughs too. Also Kent Williams is extremely overused, but this seems to be a problem with Funimation not just specific to One Piece. He's a good voice actor with a good voice, but he's just in literally everything usually with a very prominent role.

Fodder voices drive me crazy in the dub. I mean yeah, I get that you don't have a big part and were probably listed as "Thug A" in the script, but acting is acting and there's a point where the generic bad guy voice comes across as too weak. Even background characters have motivations, however immoral!

Also, echoing the Ace sentiment. Nothing against Travis, but his voice is too old for anything under 30 and Ace is a good decade under that.

Mayumi Tanaka is so great as Luffy it's really not fair to hate on Luffys dub voice, but it is my least favorite next to Zoro. Everyone else actually sounds pretty good.

O yea, White Beards dub voice, definitely not a fan... It's hard to enjoy the dub after watching the subs and their imo superior voices. Compared to FUNi DBZ it's golden, but yea...

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    I agree, compared to the Japanese voice it's almost like a part of his character is lost.
    Eh, I don't really agree at all. While Yao is and will always be Franky, Seitz does a great job with his take on the character. I think the issue you guys have is you expect an exact English equivalent and it just won't happen. No one will have Yao's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisoto View Post
    Fodder voices drive me crazy in the dub. I mean yeah, I get that you don't have a big part and were probably listed as "Thug A" in the script, but acting is acting and there's a point where the generic bad guy voice comes across as too weak. Even background characters have motivations, however immoral!
    I kind of agree with this to an extent. I mean even in the most recent episodes I'm watching some of the background characters sound pretty stale and unconvincing. Especially in the filler episodes.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Aedai Rivin View Post
    I don't really like Granny Kokoro's English voice actor. A bit raspy/weak, which a lot of english voice actors are when compared to their Japanese versions, IMO.
    Disagree completely. Both her and Chimney sound worlds better in the dub than in the original.

Quote Originally Posted by LucciCP9 View Post
    I love Aokiji in english.... "Another lady with big bazongas!"

I'm more than happy with the dub, although the one voice that bothers me is Chopper! As long as his voice gets deeper in his Monster Point then I'll be ok.

Something I'm curious to find out is what Funimation plans to do with Oz. I recall a lot of people people disappointed (myself included) that the Japanese version just used Luffy's voice for Oz, and that it sounded really weird, so I'm eager to get to Thriller Bark to see how they interpret it.
    FYI, his name is actually Oars, not Oz. Oda's spelling confirms this. Let's get this out there now before people bitch about FUNi messing it up when they're actually doing what Oda intended and not the fansubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post

FYI, his name is actually Oars, not Oz. Oda's spelling confirms this. Let's get this out there now before people bitch about FUNi messing it up when they're actually doing what Oda intended and not the fansubs.
    You are obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by LucciCP9 View Post
    You are obnoxious.
    How am I being obnoxious when I'm just correcting you? You're being obnoxious by replying to me this way.

Chopper. when he screams, it sometimes hurts my ears.
    and Whitebeard. Not deep enough.
    "Get a load of THIS!" - Robotnik

I don't like any of the dub voices for the Straw Hats. They just seem out of character. For lesser known characters I think their good. The ones I can remember are good

franky..........................

I don't hate any voices....but if its voices I like the least, I gotta say Sanji. To me Eric Vale's version just isn't as funny. He's still good, but not my favorite.

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

The laziest man on Mars. Dark-King's Avatar

I really enjoy the Funi Dub to One Piece (goes without saying it's LEAGUES above the 4Kids dub which is all we had back in the day).

Out of the main SH crew, I'd say chopper is my least favorite, but it's really hard to force that level of high-pitch cuteness and be able to act along with it, so it's really just because her voice often sounds hoarse while performing.

But ultimately the most disappointing voice in the series I'd have to agree with the original post is Crocodile. The Japanese voice actor to Croc is soooooo deep, smooth, and menacing. Like if a James Bond villain who was a Mafia Boss shallowed a bass guitar! The Funi actor just doesn't cut it for me, he sounds like a stock Saturday morning bad guy, it's seriously sadness to hear for that arc. And on the flip side Eneru's Funi voice actor is BEYOND perfect for the role.
    "Me lurk you long time"

After watching the dub from start to it's current episode, I'll also add Croc and Ace to the list.
    Croc's voice is too rough. His japanese VA is the perfect choice.
    And Ace sounds like he's in his mid 30's in the dub.

but other than that the dub is great.
    Frankys dub voice has really grown on me.
    "Get a load of THIS!" - Robotnik

Stowaway

Zoro's is awesome. Unlike most of Sabat's work, I can't hear vegeta in his voice. Least favourite was probably coby(fat shitty coby).

Ace is kinda deep, but i got used to it after awhile

I hate it when i can rehear fodder voices in different parts though
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Luffy and Usopp. I can stand most everyone else, but those two honestly sound awful to me. Like they sound really forced and I just can't get used to it.
    Im in the same situation. Luffy sounds fine when he talks normally, but the yelling just kills me

Kizaru is the absolute worst dubbed character in One Piece bar none. He legit sounds like a douche. Completely changes his whole character in the dub. Doesnt really speak lazily or absent-minded at all.

Can someone direct me to a place where people compile or have compiled their favorite (of all time) dub scenes, good voice acting/actors/scenes, not just the funny ones that run amok on YouTube? By the way this thread is bad (just like the dub itself am I right!?). Also just heard Buggy's voice, I think I'm in love.
    Last edited by Audity; January 30th, 2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Thus concludes my

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information