+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which FUNimation dub voices are you your least favorite?

Default Which FUNimation dub voices are you your least favorite?

To start, I will say I think the FUNI dub is pretty incredible with their voice work so this is in no way bashing the dub at all but are there any characters whose voices you just really don't like/don't think fit with their character in the dub? For me, I don't hate Crocodile's voice in the dub but it did take awhile to grow on me and even then, I still think it doesn't quite suit him. Not sure if it makes him sound too old or what but I just never really pictured Croc's voice like that when I read the manga and especially after hearing his voice in Japanese first.

How about you guys?

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

Default Re: Which FUNimation dub voices are you your least favorite?

i don't like the voice of portgas ace. he sounds very mean.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

You your you your you your

I hate Tilestone's tone. Reminds me of Beyblade MF

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    You your you your you your
    Didn't notice until you pointed it out...gah. :(

Tilestone and Paulie. Can't think of any others right now.

Gotta admit, I still don't care for Sanji's voice. Not that it's bad, I just think he sounds too punkish and not quite suave enough. But that's just me.

hmmm... I'd say maybe Kalifa, her English voice is a bit too thin for my tastes.

Lucci's voice is pretty good, I like it. Has that tiny bit of swagger about it that makes sense for a Government assassin.

Kaku's slightly condescending tone is something that perfectly fits with his character.

Tilestone needs a deeper voice, definitely.

I actually really like the voice of Lulu.

Luffy and Usopp. I can stand most everyone else, but those two honestly sound awful to me. Like they sound really forced and I just can't get used to it.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Luffy and Usopp. I can stand most everyone else, but those two honestly sound awful to me. Like they sound really forced and I just can't get used to it.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Spoiler:

I was gonna start an argument, but he might just be a troll. Luffy and Usopp are the two most loved voices in the dub. They're the best voice actors, quite possible. If that's his/her real opinion, he clearly can't distinguish good acting from bad.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Japanese Luffy is even higher and definitely annoying. If any, Chopper is probably the most annoying of the SH, tonal-wise.

FelRes isn't a troll, far from it. He just needed to see the amount of effort and emotion Colleen and Sonny put into the characters.

Any of the generic background characters always sound awful to me.

I also dislike Ace's voice. The voice just doesn't fit the character.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

I also don't like Luffy's voice. imo it's annoying.

Luffy's voice is annoying in every language.

And yet it always manages to fit...

Duuuude

Yeah. Some people fail to grasp that Luffy himself is an annoying character. So is Usopp, really. Their voices appropriately reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    I was gonna start an argument, but he might just be a troll.
    Having a different opinion doesn't make one a troll. Please learn what trolling is.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Spoiler:

I suppose the emotional acting isn't so bad. Luffy's voice is just too raspy though. It seems like he's constantly on the verge of screaming. And Usopp sounds like something out of Sesame Street or The Muppets, which I can't unhear lol.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by cloudrivera View Post
    I also don't like Luffy's voice. imo it's annoying.
    What's funny about this is that I've found that there are many, many many moments in the original where Mayumi Tanaka portrays Luffy just as annoyingly as Colleen would if not even moreso.

One of the things that kinda annoys me a bit about the original was I felt Tanaka's tone got a bit too whiny at times where it wasn't even necessary. One instance of this that I remember is the end of the G8 filler arc, Episode 206. One of Luffy's final lines in the end, where he's shown smiling and talking about being hungry, was spoken in this really whiny and annoying tone that didn't seem to fit his expression and emotion. When the dub got Season 4 I noticed that was completely avoided. I'm not trying to say one version's objectively better but I don't agree with the idea of the dub just being vastly inferior either. Both have pros and cons. And don't even get me started on some of Kappei Yamaguchi's overacting! Oh boy...Like him as Usopp but sometimes he takes it a tad too far.

What's the point of a thread that just accentuates the negative anyway? We already have a thread here where people can discuss their thoughts on the voices and how they compare to the originals, positive or negative. Why does there have a to be a separate thread focused only on the latter?

Quote Originally Posted by Maron View Post
    What's funny about this is that I've found that there are many, many many moments in the original where Mayumi Tanaka portrays Luffy just as annoyingly as Colleen would if not even moreso.

One of the things that kinda annoys me a bit about the original was I felt Tanaka's tone got a bit too whiny at times where it wasn't even necessary. One instance of this that I remember is the end of the G8 filler arc, Episode 206. One of Luffy's final lines in the end, where he's shown smiling and talking about being hungry, was spoken in this really whiny and annoying tone that didn't seem to fit his expression and emotion. When the dub got Season 4 I noticed that was completely avoided. I'm not trying to say one version's objectively better but I don't agree with the idea of the dub just being vastly inferior either. Both have pros and cons. And don't even get me started on some of Kappei Yamaguchi's overacting! Oh boy...Like him as Usopp but sometimes he takes it a tad too far.

What's the point of a thread that just accentuates the negative anyway? We already have a thread here where people can discuss their thoughts on the voices and how they compare to the originals, positive or negative. Why does there have a to be a separate thread focused only on the latter?
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

As for my least favorite, it has to be the unimportant backround fodder throughout the series.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information