+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manga Referencing Manga

∞ Samus Returns ∞ Deviant_Mugen's Avatar

Default Manga Referencing Manga

Oh, look, I finally decided to turn one of my many thread ideas into an actual thread. And it only took around two years!

Anyway, I'm sure this is something that has happened to everyone: you're reading a manga series, when all of a sudden, you run into a panel (or page) that's referencing a classic/popular series. Obviously reactions will vary, but more often than not, mine is "Oh, (insert mangaka's name here). Well, played." This is a thread where you can share those experiences and post screenshots, so that the rest of us can also have a good laugh (be sure to include the name of the manga the reference is in, by the way, and maybe link back to its MAL page). Also, while the title specifically reads "manga", you can also include anime stuff, so go nuts.

Ideally, I'd prefer that the screenshots or pages posted here are either hosted on an image hosting site or from Batoto, but I know that enforcing that would be a bit ridiculous. Still, try to keep it in mind
    (oh, and please hide large images under tags). The format will be as follows:

Name of the series being referenced
    (Name of the series which contains the reference)
    [screenshot/page]

Without further ado, here are some of the ones I ran into while rereading two of my favorite series:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    (Ai Kora)
    (
    Otaku no Musume-san)

Hidden:
    Hidden:
    Lupin the Third
    (
    Ai Kora)

Hidden:
    Dragonball Z
    (
    Otaku no Musume-san)
    (Mahoraba)

Hidden:
    Hidden:
    Trigun
    (
    Ai Kora)

Hidden:
    Street Fighter
    (
    Otaku no Musume-san)

Hidden:
    Fist of the North Star
    (Otaku no Musume-san)

Hidden:

P.S. To all of you Gintama fans (myself included): we all know that Sorachi loves referencing/mocking other works, so let's try to make it fair and keep from posting too many Gintama screenshots/pages...

Default Re: Manga Referencing Manga

Gintama is far from the only manga that constantly references other series. Lots of other gag manga like Sket Dance for instance have a bunch of references. And let's not forget Bakuman, which constantly referenced other manga on the basis of its premise

True, but Gintama's the most recent one I've read (Bakuman was a few months back and I haven't read Sket), so it's the main one that came to mind. Plus, Bakuman never had its characters dressed as characters from other series, or drawn in the style of other series, as far as I recall.

Now that we have that out of the way, how about contributing? Nitpicking is fine, but participation is better...

Even if we limit it to those two things, it's an incredibly common staple in gag manga, so I don't know why we'd just leave out one particular gag manga that does it quite a bit, when there are tons that do the same thing. The only real difference is that Gintama is longer than most of these types of series, and as such, has had more time and material to make a ton of references. I mean, half of the images you posted were from a single manga, and of the 4 remaining 3 were from another single manga

binbougami ga!

@Aaron: I never said to leave Gintama out, but simply not to rely on it too much, so other series get a shot. And the reason why I posted references from only two series is because I came up with the idea for this thread while rereading them and had all the images handy. Again, are you going to participate or just nitpick the opening post? Because that's exactly why I wasted more than an hour constructing it for, to have it picked apart because of one little aside at the end...

Fair enough. Now on topic We've got this gem from Shoukgeki No Soma that I like to caption "You are already fed"

I recall spotting quite a few references in the Rock Lee anime, so this thread might encourage me to re-watch it soon...

Beelzebub has a lot of those.IT mostly references more popular and new mangas.

Does this count?

I want to believe too big guy
    3ds code friend:0404-6254-1866
    new "new"3ds code friend:0791-4253-7110 (monster hunter)

Beeelzebub is also full of these references, using Naruto and what not :p
    Anyway, my actual contribution

Hunter X Hunter
    (One Punch-Man)
    Spoiler:

Ashita no Joe (Shokugeki no Souma)
    Spoiler:

^ Oh damn, you're right.
    Spoiler:

I
    never noticed that before
    3DS friend code: 1478-4380-6818
    NNID: Luxorcist

The final shot of Ashita no Joe is one of the most parodied and oft referenced visuals in manga, it's too easy to be on the lookout for.

Maybe someone else will remember better than me, but one of my favorite hilarious scenes is

http://youtu.be/2cManFDH8ZQ?t=3m46s

What a classic

And I swear Keroro Gunsou did a parody of this but I couldn't find it last I tried looking.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; June 26th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Assassin Classroom has done quite a few of these. Off the top of my head, the chapter where Kuro's "brother" shows up has a whole bunch of classic manga references... including yes, Dragonball.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    This is Bobobo, of course it counts. About 2/3 of the comic is references to other comics/animation as well as overall media. We'd be here all day pointing out references in Bobobo...

Dragon Ball showed up quite often actually:

I'm restraining my urge of posting a gazillion of gintama pictures, so have a samurai champloo one

Spoiler:

One Dragon Ball reference that I saw in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo recently:

Spoiler:

I'm sure there are tons more, but that immediately came to mind.

Oh I can go on and on and on with Bobobo DB references:

In fact, Sawaii redrew a part of the Goku vs Vegeta battle with his characters for a special.

Spoiler:

As well as a ton of others:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

On the top of my head, there are about a handful more but they're a bit hard to find online.

Hunter Pirate Poet Friend of Luffy and Gon's Avatar

In Yu-Gi-Oh when Yugi is learning about the ability of the Millennium puzzle to grant a wish he refers to Dragonball.

In Naruto before it was shit when Jiraiya is with him around volume 17, here is a mask stand which has various references such as a mask of Kamen Rider, of Chao Zu from Dragonball and Ramenman from Kinnikuman. Also on the previous page there is a villager with the Triforce on his back.

Incidentally in Hunter X Hunter one of the Genei Ryodan also has a Triforce on his back.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information