+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomy Thread

Default Re: Astronomy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sarfallet View Post
    That looks pretty good! :) About the same I could achieve with my telescope at opposition. What did you use to capture it?
    I used a Celestron NEXstar 130. Which telescope do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    no those are Venus' twin hurricanes that rotate each other near the south pole
    So i'm guessing venus has a horrible temper..I'm really surprised that tech allows us to view planets to this level of detail

given it's the closest planet but it's quite impressive through

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I used a Celestron NEXstar 130. Which telescope do you have?
    Haha. :) A Celestron Astromaster 130EQ... Did you use a T-adapter? A barlow lens? What camera? :)

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

A little embarrassing since Leon had such a good picture, but here's one I took with my astromaster, T-adapter and a 1.5x barlow lens with a Canon EOS 50d.

Quote Originally Posted by legumes View Post
    So i'm guessing venus has a horrible temper..I'm really surprised that tech allows us to view planets to this level of detail

given it's the closest planet but it's quite impressive through
    sure sure, you've seen the pics of saturn and it's moons right? We've sent probes down on Venus and took actual color pictures of the surface. I think we were planning on sending some kind of weather balloon or something into the atmosphere in the near future.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    How haven't they merged yet?
    Something something superrotation something.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Something something superrotation something.
    I understand perfectly. So you're saying that it's a mystery pair of hurricanes, right?
    Last edited by Panda Bear; July 9th, 2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Fun fact: searching on Google for "It's a mystery" has it suggest "It's a mystery Luffy"

Haha. :) A Celestron Astromaster 130EQ... Did you use a T-adapter? A barlow lens? What camera? :)

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

A little embarrassing since Leon had such a good picture, but here's one I took with my astromaster, T-adapter and a 1.5x barlow lens with a Canon EOS 50d.
    http://i.imgur.com/yYDbLeo.jpg
    I dont quite remember whether it was 1.5 or 2 since they were my colleague's. But i got 2x Barlow recently.

Here's my full kit:
    Telescope: Celestron Nexstar 130, AVX Mount
    Accessories: 2X Barlow, Celestron f6.3 focal reducer, Canon RC-6 remote, Backyard EOS, DSS, Registrax, GIMP
    Imaging: Canon Rebel T4i 650D (currently having problem with it though) , Canon 18-55 mm lens Canon 55-250 lens, Neximage 5.

I dont quite remember whether it was 1.5 or 2 since they were my colleague's. But i got 2x Barlow recently.
    I'm thinking of getting a 5x, dunno how well it'll work though. :)

Here's my full kit:
    Telescope: Celestron Nexstar 130, AVX Mount
    Accessories: 2X Barlow, Celestron f6.3 focal reducer, Canon RC-6 remote, Backyard EOS, DSS, Registrax, GIMP
    Imaging: Canon Rebel T4i 650D (currently having problem with it though) , Canon 18-55 mm lens Canon 55-250 lens, Neximage 5.
    Cool stuff! :) Man that computerized mount must be so chill. I'm like always going "where the gosh darn is that stupid Polaris!!" :P Then when I found that stupid star I'll be twirling arrogant knobs that refuse to accept my superiority and just keep what I want in the field of view! >:(

I'm thinking of getting a 5x, dunno how well it'll work though. :)
    5x is very good. I am too planning to get it, but you know..empty pockets. Maybe after 3-4 months.

Cool stuff! :) Man that computerized mount must be so chill. I'm like always going "where the gosh darn is that stupid Polaris!!" :P Then when I found that stupid star I'll be twirling arrogant knobs that refuse to accept my superiority and just keep what I want in the field of view! >:(
    Lol, i broke my first manual mount while trying to adjust it. Hence i bought the AVX. Right now, i can't do any imaging or observation due to monsoon climate at my place. Add light and air pollution to it, which makes things much harder. I have to travel 50-60 miles away for proper environment :( I am just a sitting duck for now :(

5x is very good. I am too planning to get it, but you know..empty pockets. Maybe after 3-4 months.
    Empty pockets... I can relate. Hahaha. :)

Lol, i broke my first manual mount while trying to adjust it. Hence i bought the AVX. Right now, i can't do any imaging or observation due to monsoon climate at my place. Add light and air pollution to it, which makes things much harder. I have to travel 50-60 miles away for proper environment :( I am just a sitting duck for now :(
    Monsoon. Crazy stuff. O,O Can't even imagine what light pollution must be in Mumbai! I have my telescope at my parents place, a city of like... 20k people and just that makes the light pollution terrible. I have a filter to get rid of some of the artificial light though which work pretty well.
    Ah, also, in a month or so I'll be going up to the Swedish fells, man it gets crazy dark up there! You can see Andromeda with the naked eye and the milky way band and stuff! :)

Empty pockets... I can relate. Hahaha. :)

Monsoon. Crazy stuff. O,O Can't even imagine what light pollution must be in Mumbai! I have my telescope at my parents place, a city of like... 20k people and just that makes the light pollution terrible. I have a filter to get rid of some of the artificial light though which work pretty well.
    Ah, also, in a month or so I'll be going up to the Swedish fells, man it gets crazy dark up there! You can see Andromeda with the naked eye and the milky way band and stuff! :)
    I normally travel to the surrounding range of mountains. It is basically a camp in the middle of 20-30 sq km surrounding forest, where population is minimum.

What about Orion Nebula? Can you see it with naked eyes?

I normally travel to the surrounding range of mountains. It is basically a camp in the middle of 20-30 sq km surrounding forest, where population is minimum.
    That national park of your's then? :) Very cool with such a large park right inside your city!

What about Orion Nebula? Can you see it with naked eyes?
    Well, Orion isn't visible during the summer but otherwise I'm sure it would be. You don't get much darker skies then you get up there. Hm, here's a google maps link. If it doesn't work you can search for "Härjedalen". The biggest... Ehr... City... In the area has a population of like 2500 people.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    theoretically, if we could control black holes, we might not even need cars
    I guess you are referring to controlling black holes and in turn create worm holes for traveling anywhere in the universe? Star Trek!

One other awesome advantage would be unlimited energy generation from black holes. World without energy crisis BOOM!

That national park of your's then? :) Very cool with such a large park right inside your city!
    No not really. We are not allowed to enter the park. And i don't want to be mauled my Leopards lol.
    Well, Orion isn't visible during the summer but otherwise I'm sure it would be. You don't get much darker skies then you get up there. Hm, here's a google maps link. If it doesn't work you can search for "Härjedalen". The biggest... Ehr... City... In the area has a population of like 2500 people.
    2.5k...Lucky. You are so lucky. I envy you. Since long i wanted to capture Orion Nebula. Here's the google map link from where i image space.

No not really. We are not allowed to enter the park. And i don't want to be mauled my Leopards lol.
    Leopards, haha that's one wild park you've got over there!! Star gazing is worth some sacrifice, but losing ones limb to leopards goes way beyond the call of duty! ;)

2.5k...Lucky. You are so lucky. I envy you. Since long i wanted to capture Orion Nebula.
    It's a awesome place, though we mostly go there for the hiking. I will not even bring my telescope, but my dad has a really good spotting scope and binoculars which works well enough! :)
    I can't image nebulae 'cause my mounts to bad for that sort of stuff. :P Maybe if I bought a motor for it...
    Have you tried capture it? What exposure times were you using?

Here's the google map link from where i image space.
    Whoa, that's quite far away from Mumbai! Not a one night thing I presume?

It's a awesome place, though we mostly go there for the hiking. I will not even bring my telescope, but my dad has a really good spotting scope and binoculars which works well enough! :)
    I can't image nebulae 'cause my mounts to bad for that sort of stuff. :P Maybe if I bought a motor for it...
    Have you tried capture it? What exposure times were you using?
    No not really. I am planning to capture it this yer though. I think 1/3rd of a second should be suffice.

Whoa, that's quite far away from Mumbai! Not a one night thing I presume?
    6 Hours Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    im curious why they'd envision that planet with that kind of atmosphere instead of the normal hot jupiter 'stripes'

http://www.space.com/12612-alien-pla...ck-kepler.html
    this one is a fav too

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Back in April, they had the Hubble take a gander at Comet ISON.

http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discove...-ison-in-space

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information