+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: RWBY Dicscussion (RoosterTeeth)

Default Re: RWBY Dicscussion (RoosterTeeth)

Some of the more established youtubers have been pivoting towards borderline documentary-style deep dives into works lately, and with that lens I don't get why something being long is a knock against it. Lindsay Ellis spend as long or longer talking about the Hobbit and GoT season 8, it just happened to be split into parts. Plus, Hbomberguys video is clearly divided into themed sections so the "parts" are already there, theres many natural pausing points.

Also

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    What do actual fans think of this review?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    Without actually watching the video.... I can say this.
    Based on this exchange, I have my doubts Robby can be swayed
    Last edited by Daz; August 3rd, 2020 at 05:30 AM.

I explicitly mentioned multi-part deep dives.

If that's what a video maker is doing, then break the video into parts. Otherwise its too overwhelming to even look at from a youtuber you know literally nothing about except for the negative title they put on their video..
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

But you can pause and resume the video at any point; whats the difference? He just happened to drop the completed product all in one go, as if it was a documentary, which it basically is? You can always opt out along the way, same as if you watched a 15-minute part 1 of 10 video.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    But you can pause and resume the video at any point; whats the difference? He just happened to drop the completed product all in one go, as if it was a documentary, which it basically is? You can always opt out along the way, same as if you watched a 15-minute part 1 of 10 video.
    Because two and a half hours is a big ask up front. From a reviewer you know nothing about.

Yeah you can stop whenever, but its formatted for a long presentation in a way that's overwhelming. Give me a sample platter before I decide I want the whole course.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Because two and a half hours is a big ask up front. From a reviewer you know nothing about.

Yeah you can stop whenever, but its formatted for a long presentation in a way that's overwhelming.
    You sound like everyone I've ever tried to convince to get into One Piece.

Not to get off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Yeah you can stop whenever, but its formatted for a long presentation in a way that's overwhelming. Give me a sample platter before I decide I want the whole course.
    I was about to reply to this, but then I remembered that I just said myself you won't be swayed, considering this was initiated by the exchange of "what do people think of the video"-->"The show is good, I haven't watched the video", and now we're at justifying not having watched the video, so...

Anyway, if people want a shorter video to get a feel for Hbomberguy, heres a 25 minute one on how brands can manipulate social media culture wars for free advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    You sound like everyone I've ever tried to convince to get into One Piece.

Not to get off topic.
    At this point I wouldn't recommend One Piece to anyone that wasn't already curious about it. It *IS* too big an ask at this point. Nearly 100 volumes, hundreds of episodes of show, thousands of hours of commitment? For a franchise that probably isn't going to end for close to another decade yet? And where the second half overall just hasn't been as good as the first?

It's a terrible recommend at this point in time. You can always say "Just watch up through the Arlong Arc, and you'll know by then if you're a fan or not" and that's not so bad since that's only 11 volumes, and 60 episodes, but even that much is still a lot. Maybe a little easier now that its on Netflix.

The decade to go still is the main reason I'd be hard pressed to recommend it tho.

At this point in time I also wouldn't recommend Berserk, the Game of Thrones novels, or the Kingkiller Chronicles, and I've loved all those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I was about to reply to this, but then I remembered that I just said myself you won't be swayed, considering this was initiated by the exchange of "what do people think of the video"-->"The show is good, I haven't watched the video", and now we're at justifying not having watched the video, so...
    The video title is LITERALLY "RWBY is disappointing and here's why". And the person who posted the video said they never watched the show, didn't even know it existed.

The one sentence the video creator gets up front and its negative. Why should someone that likes the show give a negative TWO HOUR video a chance at that point?

You're saying its more nuanced and actually positive, okay. And that's fine, I'd hope something would have more nuance after 2.5 hours. Maybe I will watch it later, purely because there's an actual discussion going on.

But I think its also more than fair to make an initial judgement based on the initial impression given.

"This show is disappointing, and now I talk about that for 2 hours" is awful optics.

I don't know what title they could have gone with instead, but "A RWBY retrospective" or "RWBY: Potential Unfulfilled" or "RWBY: Could have been great" or "RWBY: Big Problems, Bigger potential" "RWBY: The good, the bad, the disappointing" all covey the same message but with a very different tone instantly closer to what you describe with just one or two different words.

I certainly didn't expect this to be the discussion lmao.

I didn't watch the video, but I did see the first episodes of RWBY a few years ago and though they were okay...ish. I remember the plot being fairly cookie cutter and everything feeling really dragged out. And based on Robby's glowing review of "The show is good, but not great", I'm not especially inclined to continue to the "good" part.

So yeah...I guess it was disappointing for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information