+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick and Morty

Default Re: Rick and Morty

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    The Lighthouse Keeper had it coming, the jackass!
    In the context of a darkly comic adult animated show where violence is often a punchline? Sure.
    But from the perspective of Morty, who's overall shown to have a somewhat functional moral compass, and appropriately shocked reactions to the rampant death on the show...I don't think it was entirely deserved.
    It can be rationalized as Morty being an overemotional teen, or maybe even character development for him. But its just a personal pet peeve of mine to see someone whos been characterized as empathic commit grisly murder, with no remorse or consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    I do like to think there are moments where Rick shows he cares for Morty. The one where he puts his collar onto Morty to save him and the finale of season 2 come to mind.
    There definetely are; I just don't think going for The Feels is one of the shows stronger suits, or higher priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    What about this?

Spoiler:
    That actually didn't bother me too much, because the reactions were relatably human and anguished. If Summer had given no shits, or one of the other officers had made some one liner then I'd have found it uncomfortable, but the show totally owns up to the disturbing shit it does here...which, in a weird way, diffuses the scene for me. "Wow, that sure was fucked up...but at least summer still reacts like a normal human being"

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    That actually didn't bother me too much, because the reactions were relatably human and anguished. If Summer had given no shits, or one of the other officers had made some one liner then I'd have found it uncomfortable, but the show totally owns up to the disturbing shit it does here...which, in a weird way, diffuses the scene for me. "Wow, that sure was fucked up...but at least summer still reacts like a normal human being"
    Actually, the really messed up part is that Rick, with all of his seemingly limitless scientific knowledge, probably could have designed it to create some kind of impenetrable force field to "keep Summer safe". But instead he made it so that its first response to kill, then paralyze, then emotionally traumatize anyone who approached it. And then...broker a world-changing peace agreement.

That's our Rick.

That may be part of the puzzle; Rick is a foul mouthed, self loathing, brilliant, abusive, callous and hedonistic douchebag...but at least he's consistently so. If Rick spent every other episode as a benefactor of random aliens, or bonding with new people, his cynical pendant for murder would be insanely frustrating.

In the context of a darkly comic adult animated show where violence is often a punchline? Sure.
    But from the perspective of Morty, who's overall shown to have a somewhat functional moral compass, and appropriately shocked reactions to the rampant death on the show...I don't think it was entirely deserved.
    It can be rationalized as Morty being an overemotional teen, or maybe even character development for him. But its just a personal pet peeve of mine to see someone whos been characterized as empathic commit grisly murder, with no remorse or consequence.

I reiterate, that lighthouse keeper had it totally coming! That passive agressive song and dance he did is the most infuriating thing a human being could do to someone. "Now, now honest feelings, I want the truth now! What do you mean you didn't like it?!"

ANYONE would murder him! I would murder him! YOU should murder him!

(Also you could argue that the Purge and the wanton murder surrounding him addled his brain. But fuck that, that twerp pissed me off so bad, I was totally on Morty's side!)

There definetely are; I just don't think going for The Feels is one of the shows stronger suits, or higher priorities.
    I love the feels moments but they work best in small doses at climactic moments. I like the show has a tad more depth than grisly dark comedy.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

my personal head canon was that Rick was ultimately right, and Morty was just under the effects of purginol or whatever the ingredient was called. The real twist was Rick correctly guessed that the purginol free stamp shown at the end was a load of crap and the bars were still full of the stuff. I can't imagine the show dipping into Morty's potential murderous side to his genes in future episodes anyways, but who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

That may be part of the puzzle; Rick is a foul mouthed, self loathing, brilliant, abusive, callous and hedonistic douchebag...but at least he's consistently so. If Rick spent every other episode as a benefactor of random aliens, or bonding with new people, his cynical pendant for murder would be insanely frustrating.
    Well, maybe your problem with the car battery scene was the fact that even by Rick standarts, enslaving an entire civilization for a such a pety purpose seems like reaching a new low.
    Especially when you realize that the episode ends with them being semi-sentient about their condition, and know they canīt do nothing about it.

The only situation where Rick did such an evil intended thing was when he blew up the virtual reality program aliens, and even then you were sort of cheering for him.
    Here there were no reason to dislike a perfectly peaceful, functional society.

Same thing with the lighthouse inkeeper.
    Dispite TLCīs raging hate, the reaction was clearly extreme. Especially the afterwards non-reaction from Morty

Wasn't Morty's rage on that planet the result of... uhh.. the plotpoint that made the Purge participants fueled with rage and urges to kill to begin with? It was even addressed at the end of the episode where he goes insane. I forgot exactly what it was, but there was a reason Rick knocked him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Wasn't Morty's rage on that planet the result of... uhh.. the plotpoint that made the Purge participants fueled with rage and urges to kill to begin with? It was even addressed at the end of the episode where he goes insane. I forgot exactly what it was, but there was a reason Rick knocked him out.
    If i remember correctly that's what Rick said to Morty to calm him down at the end, but then it shows that it was not the case, and Morty went really insane on his own. Also, i wonder if it's something inherited from Rick, so alongside Morty there will be Summer and Beth with the chance of going in a murderous rampage (Beth even shot Mr. Poopy butt hole), leaving Jerry as the only "sane" member of the family.
    Last edited by Yobiyopi; January 25th, 2016 at 07:52 PM.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Unless you buy my Rick was actually right theory and the purginol free label was a lie made by the corporations on that planet, which I think fits the worldview of Rick and Morty.

Like I said, I can't imagine the show really going into Morty or the other members of Rick's genepool having it in their dna to kill, but like you said Yobiyopi, it's also shown that murder is clearly in their blood in Total Rickall, where despite the numerous implanted memories of fun times, the family is pretty much able to kill everyone in that household with barely any second thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

I do not remember the lighthouse scene, but I got the impression, throughout season 2, that morty is becoming desensitized and going along with rick's ways

Two years is waaaaaaaay too long for me to wait for another season of this show....think I'm gunna have withdrawls....

As a fan of both Venture Bros. and BBC Sherlock, I'll be alright.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Good news everyone

Not only will the show be back sooner than expected but we're getting a longer season.

hooray!

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Luffy will break into Space Impel Down to free Vegapunk! I mean, Morty will. Free Rick.

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    Good news everyone

Not only will the show be back sooner than expected but we're getting a longer season.

Like the show though at times it's a bit too offensive for my tastes.

From San Diego Comic-Con, a clip from Season 3

Spoiler:
    And here's Justin reading a real-life court case transcript in Rick and Morty's voices.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Nobodyman; July 26th, 2016 at 08:03 AM.

Here is the transcript in question. http://imgur.com/a/skffp

Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information