+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick and Morty

Default Re: Rick and Morty

It's not so much seeing different things, but realizing there's more to the show than just the surface stuff. There's subtext too, and it's not even that subtle.

Nilith, if you want mindless entertainment, then that's fine. But there's more to this show than that. I mean, it's hard to deny the show has moments of Rick caring for people (You remember he completely decimated the Jellybean King after figuring out what he tried to do to Morty, right? Or when he found out at the end of Season 2 what he had been putting his family through and turned himself in to stop the misery? And those are just two examples.)

The show definitely has it's moments and themes of absurdism and nihilism, and if that's all you care about, then cool beans. I'm not going to tell you what to take from it. But to say the show is just about that stuff is completely wrong.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

lol Pickle Rick was very amusing
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Well, that was certainly a thing. That happened.
    Complicating things since 2009.

So glad to see Rick get called out on his crap for once. It was refreshing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    http://w11.zetaboards.com/OnePieceNewWorld/index/

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    Let's just be honest here: The Watchmen movie was a complete and utter, extremely boring, blue man penis filled abomination.
    And I don't even feel this way, it's just a hilarious quote.

Beth is probably the best character after Rick. Too bad she doesn't get more screen-time.

Jaguar is the new Stelio Kantos.

And Solenio is the new John Wick.

And lol that mofo killed a cockroach with his teeth.

It's the first time Rick goes batshit crazy on people of "his" world btw---- I think.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    It's not so much seeing different things, but realizing there's more to the show than just the surface stuff. There's subtext too, and it's not even that subtle.

Nilith, if you want mindless entertainment, then that's fine. But there's more to this show than that. I mean, it's hard to deny the show has moments of Rick caring for people (You remember he completely decimated the Jellybean King after figuring out what he tried to do to Morty, right? Or when he found out at the end of Season 2 what he had been putting his family through and turned himself in to stop the misery? And those are just two examples.)

The show definitely has it's moments and themes of absurdism and nihilism, and if that's all you care about, then cool beans. I'm not going to tell you what to take from it. But to say the show is just about that stuff is completely wrong.
    It's 80% about that. And this is not mindless entertainment. Nihilism, absurdism, pessimism and jokes on society are not mindless things. Stop being patronizing pricks folks. You're acting like I'd said "uhu yeah I like South Park because haha there is an episode with giant poop and everyone dies uhu "

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    It's 80% about that. And this is not mindless entertainment. Nihilism, absurdism, pessimism and jokes on society are not mindless things. Stop being patronizing pricks folks. You're acting like I'd said "uhu yeah I like South Park because haha there is an episode with giant poop and everyone dies uhu "
    Dude, chill. We only said that stuff because you seem to find the divorce subplot "boring", when it gives the episode a lot of meaning, and it seemed like you only cared for the funny bits. That's why people are inferring the idea that you see it at mindless entertainment.
    No one's being patronizing. If anything, we're trying to say that this show has more to offer, but you insist that "No, it's absurdism and nihilism", like it's the only way to look at the episode. To say you can read something in one way is totally okay (and valid when backed up with proof, of course), but to say it's the only way is wrong. That's what I'm getting at.

I've said it was 80%. Not that my percentage is completely accurate though, but above all it's about the nihilistic things. Rick and Morty wouldn't be Rick and Morty without these themes.

Although, it seems showrunners are doing something different with this season.

Patronizing because instead of getting something like "I think Rick's relation with his family is important", I get "na ya don't know what this show is uhu, you can't see the true meaning, I bet you're not even a Stanley Kubrick fan" while I know Rick has a family and we already spent time with them (without Rick) in the past, like the Mr.Meeseeks episode for instance. But it was always funny. Episode 2 of this season wasn't hilarious, it was low for the standard this show had established and the ratio fun/emotion(/family stuff) wasn't there ---- and this is the first time the ratio is this much un-equal. It was a bit disappointing, but whatever, we have episode 3 now, it was a great episode imo.

Like I said, I don't only care about the funny things, but also about the nihilistic things and Rick's character. Maybe Rick not having much screen-time in episode 2 was another reason of my disappointment. And it's not like I'm the only one who complained about this episode. I've just written several posts.

And I've also said that the episodes aren't as much standalone as they were before, which is why we're getting the divorce plot and other things will come too like the green rock Rick has stolen (probably, not sure about this one though). But this whole season might be about the divorce.

Humor is inheretdly subjective, but even if you didn't care for the focus on the "serious" subject matter of divorce, it was there to facilitate the comedy and plot of the episode, which deals a fair bit in the usual cynicism. Summers trying to out-nihilist the Mad Maxers', Morty in the Blooddome, the robot replicants, Rick cultivating the wasteland and Morty and Summer going there in the first place are all derived from the Divorce, and how the characters deal with it - mostly by ditching responsibility for gruesomely unhealthy diversions. Its fair if the jokes/divorse subplot didn't work for you, but it was absolutely the intent of the show to derive jokes from the subplot.

People can enjoy the show for different reasons, and that's probably why Rick and Morty is so successful in the first place. That's like totally fine, you know. What isn't totally fine are your constant statements that "this show is not about x, it's about y" which are fundamentally untrue and not only make me question your understanding of Rick and Morty, but also your understanding of basic storytelling.

Rick and Morty has always been, at its core, a sci-fi space romp complemented by a family drama angle. Beth and Jerry's failing marriage has always been a part of the show, for better or for worse. You can argue that it distracts from the Rick-centric zaniness that we all know and love, but some of the more affecting sequences the show has done have been rooted in the family drama part of the show's DNA. To me, the show doesn't function without this at its core. It just becomes another zany psychedelic Adult Swim show, and maybe that's fine. But that's not the kind of storyteller Dan Harmon is. That's not the kind of show Rick and Morty is.

The show's point has never been "nihilism is the answer to everything", it has always presented its nihilism with an undercurrent of "but isn't this kind of sad?". I've never gotten the impression that Rick and Morty supports nihilism so much as it deconstructs it. Rick is a nihilistic a-hole with an "evolved" worldview, but he can't seem to figure out how to be a father or a grandparent. The character says "these things don't matter", but the show says otherwise, and constantly dings Rick on this. And that message is kind of inherent to the show's DNA.

So, yeah, I think I'm qualified enough to say that if you think "emotions and character development" are getting in the way of "all the nihilism", then maybe, just maybe, you might be watching the show wrong.

Even if it was a simulation, I wonder more and more about Beth's childhood, because she clings desperately to Rick just to keep him around even when Morty/Summer/the therapist call out Rick for his bs.

The dude turned himself into a literal pickle just to get out of therapy, lmao.

The show isn't even that subtle about family drama being the core driving force behind the narrative and has been incredibly consistent with it since season 1's Rick Potion 9. Not even sure how one could be oblivious to it the entire time...

It's quite clear the show isn't saying "nihilism is the answer" much like with Moral Orel. I mean, Rick isn't THE role model after all. One isn't supposed to say "oh yeah, Rick has got it all organized and got the right idea on how life works" while the show continues to penalize him for it. Heck, this most recent episode did exactly that again with the therapist putting him in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Humor is inheretdly subjective
    I think there was no comedy before Summer -and Morty, I think- started to side with the MadMax guy and pursue Rick. It's not even like Rick and Morty had issues in making me laugh (or just smile or whatnot) though.
    And well okay, what comedy was there before that then ?

Morty in the Blooddome
    It felt redundant tbh. It made me think about the purge episode.

Morty and Summer going there in the first place are all derived from the Divorce, and how the characters deal with it
    Morty always goes with Rick. You mean "Summer going there derived from the divorce" not Morty.

And I don't know if I have been clear enough but my point wasn't that I gave no crap about the divorce, but that we spent 10minutes on setup of divorce through kiddos not feeling safe about their parents not living together anymore. I didn't complain about the other half of the episode even though it was still Morty and Summer doing crazy things because of their parents' relation.

Episode 3 is also about the divorce or at least derives from it. But I enjoyed it (more--- way more).

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    People can enjoy the show for different reasons, and that's probably why Rick and Morty is so successful in the first place. That's like totally fine, you know. What isn't totally fine are your constant statements that "this show is not about x, it's about y" which are fundamentally untrue and not only make me question your understanding of Rick and Morty, but also your understanding of basic storytelling.
    Dear tough skeptical-thinker. Yes the show is also about the relation between Rick-the-genius and his family.

Rick and Morty has always been, at its core, a sci-fi space romp complemented by a family drama angle. Beth and Jerry's failing marriage has always been a part of the show, for better or for worse.
    yeah like I said on the post above yours ---with the Mr.Meeseeks episode for instance, but at least there was fun in it. I've also said something about the ratio of serious things and gags, and why it failed in the first half of episode 2.

It just becomes another zany psychedelic Adult Swim show, and maybe that's fine. But that's not the kind of storyteller Dan Harmon is. That's not the kind of show Rick and Morty is.
    I don't know any other adultswim nihilistic show tbh.

The show's point has never been "nihilism is the answer to everything"
    Nihilism isn't an answer. I don't understand what you say.
    If you mean "putting some "mariage is BS anyway" in the episode wouldn't have been a good answer" it was just a suggestion I thought of while writing my post. Could have been something else, because it's not just unusual to focus this much on the family's relation without some jokes. It's not unusual, it just never happened before. And I'm not talking about Jerry being a pathetic man and Beth telling him to move his ass since season1 but half an episode being a joke-less drama.

The character says "these things don't matter", but the show says otherwise, and constantly dings Rick on this.
    Like when? Not that I disagree ---but like when ?

So, yeah, I think I'm qualified enough to speak
    But ---but I think I'm more qualified. What are we gonna do ? How is this gonna end ? damn.

I dont know what show you were watching, because I seem to recall the first ten minutes being a full on parody of Mad Max.

Yes the divorce storyline incited the episode and yes the characters all have feelings about it, but thats kind of the whoke point entirely. There was no point in this episode where they suddenly stopped going for jokes and got all "emotional". Even the way the kids reacted to the divorce was always played for laughs.

Im not going to keep arguing about this because your opinion is your opinion but I just take issue with you going after the show for something it never pretended it wasn't in the first place. And your insinuation that the show should be more about "the nihilism" just supports my assumption that you don't have any idea what the show is trying to accomplish in the first place.

(Im not trying to be mean, I'm sorry if Im coming across that way. Im responding to you on a phone while on break at work so I dont really have the ability to fully articulate myself without coming across bluntly. )

But I didn't say it should be more about the nihilism though. I've just asked for jokes during those 10minutes.
    References to MadMax were fine, but I don't think there was any comedy in it. Actually, I doubt that a worthy parody of MadMaw can exist since these movies are exaggerating their things in the first place.
    Anyway, maybe it's actually very much subjective and I turn out to be the only one who didn't really enjoy half of this episode.

Do we at least agree that those 10minutes were lacking of funny things ? Or at least that it's the first time the joke/serious ratio leant too much on the "serious" ?

No but I will gladly rewatch the episode and count all the jokes when I get off work. I need to rewatch the episode anyway.

Now the episode of this week was the kind of fun that I expect Rick and Morty to deliver on. The whole thing was freaking awesome and did a much better job at including his development into the usual tone of the show.

It's funny how crazy things can quickly devolve when Rick is involved. From a simple pickle to killing rats to finally perform a bloody break-out on a government facility. I just loved the constant escalation. Especially when Rick is putting together is final form.

Even the B-plot was plenty of fun. We see how the kids are doing while deriving fun from the interaction. And I really enjoyed the exchange of words between Rick and psy. I hopee the kids get to keep her.

Rick could actually go to prison on earth. It's the first time he commits such serious crime on this planet. He just massacre a whole building full of government agent. Although I guess he was a pickle back then.

On a plot level:

It was interesting to see Rick articulate that since he has infinite daughters attachment is pretty much a pitfall for him. I really expect the background he fabricated in the premiere to be clause to the truth and why he doesn't have much problem to take a more detach approach to things.

The beer and sorry seems to indicate that they are trying to make Rick a better person which I am still not a fan off but I'll enjoy the ride until then.

Anyway, maybe it's actually very much subjective and I turn out to be the only one who didn't really enjoy half of this episode.
    Well I agree this episode was much more focus on the serious than usual and that the first half especially was not that much about the entertainment but the actual plot of dealing with the diverse. but like I said it seems more about setup than a proof that it would become that much less funny.

I know we love to joke about Rick's cynicism and nihilism and the dark humor and how Rick basically replaced his family in the first few episodes but if you've watched three seasons of this and not recognized that Rick cares about his family and that they're important to him, you've missed the main fucking point of the show.

I think he proved plenty he really loved Morty and had a fondness for Beth but I would say the show is much more about Rick self-destructive behavior than his affection for his family.

I think there was no comedy before Summer -and Morty, I think- started to side with the MadMax guy and pursue Rick. It's not even like Rick and Morty had issues in making me laugh (or just smile or whatnot) though.
    And well okay, what comedy was there before that then ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    No but I will gladly rewatch the episode and count all the jokes when I get off work. I need to rewatch the episode anyway.
    If this really is a question of semantics, then I have some time procrastinate for a bit, and list all the jokes and humerous situations that I could discern (jesus, I sound like a robotic Rick & Morty character)
    - Rick talks about needing to take risks and pointless excistences, cut to Jerry
    - Rick states that Jerry is off the Killbot safetylist, and needs to stay put
    - Jerry awkwardly claims that Beths Lawyer has offered to help him sue for full custody, to which Morty replies "...that'd be nice"
    - Summers extremely half-assed attempt at hiding her desire to get away, for any reason, and Ricks willingness to exploit it
    - The "LOOOOSER" wind
    - A dig at the Mad Max universe aesthetic: "They all have mohawks!"
    - Summers shocking display of violence against the pursuers
    - Rick instantly declaring them post-apocalyptic scavengers after seeing the glowing rock
    - Summer wandering off with DeathStalkers, and Rick saying "Cool, stay hydrated"
    - Morty deconstructing the "deathstalker" name
    - Rick trying and failing to eat bicep
    - "Save it for the semantics dome!"
    - Mortys unwilling and brutal entry to the blooddome after getting his arm
    - Morty venting comparatively mundane frustration at Jerry juxtaposed with extreme ultraviolence
    - Summer mocking the regressed language of Haemorrhage
    - Summer undercutting Haemorrhages emotional moment with "wanna piss on em?"
    - Ricks extremely obvious attempt at getting the kids to a secluded place, and his meta "we'll be right back!" comment when busted.

I might've missed some, but these stuck out to me.

Then at 8.45 minutes Rick and the kids split up. I also prefer the second half of the episode to the first, but whether they worked for you or not, they clearly put jokes into the first 8.15 minutes (excluding the theme song) of the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    The beer and sorry seems to indicate that they are trying to make Rick a better person which I am still not a fan off but I'll enjoy the ride until then.
    While he did apologize to Beth, the both of them were also thoroughly supressing the merit of the therapy session - which had been clearly beneficial to both summer and Morty. I share your fear of a "nicefication" of Rick, as I A) don't want him getting any sort of pass for his behavior and B) can't empathize much with him (Season 2's finale fell flat for me), but for the time being, Rick and Beth are favoring their own superficial dynamic over the kids mental health.

Sunday's episode was down a little in the ratings to a 1.3 in A18-49 and 1.8 in A18-34, but it was still easily the second highest rated show on cable. Not just on Sunday but for the entire week. And that 1.8 still trounces alnost anything else on TV

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information