+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick and Morty

Default Re: Rick and Morty

I'm of the opinion that this season is completely on top of its game, and tonight's episode was the best of the lot so far, maybe sans Rickshank. I guess the problem people are having might have to do with how introspective the latest adventures have been. Each episode has concerned itself primarily with some kind of pathos the characters are going through, be it fallout from the divorce, or Rick getting checked on his shit, so it's definitely without question the most character-driven season yet.

I dont think that's a bad thing, but I can see why people might miss the more zany, concept-driven episodes. Especially because Dan Harmon is a master of those.

Kitsune nailed it.
    I'm thoroughly enjoying the season, and the character-driven stuff is actually one of the biggest reasons.
    Yet at the same time, things have gotten more brutal, angry, funny and fucked up. It's still "Rick & Morty".
    I honestly think the balance has been pretty damn solid, and I'm really digging the overall tone so far.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Does this one counts as the "interdimensional cable" one of the season? Because I enjoyed this one a lot more, even if the plottwist was way too obvious.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Is it really a plot twist if you can figure it out in about 5 seconds before they even start giving clues?

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Yes, the "plot twist" at the end was obvious af. But it was an amazing episode.

It really antagonized the Citadel, in a way we've never really seen before. We'd seen C-137's dislike for it, and they're actions against C-137 already sufficed to make us dislike the Council and the arbitrary order in which things seemingly work there, but this drove it toa whole new level. By the end of the episode, all of the dysfunctional, discriminatory, ultra-capitalistic, amoral, criminal, psychologically unbalance, plain unhealthy issues that the institutions of the Citadel low-key promoted, and its effects on all citizens, both Rick and Morty, came to the forefront. The Citadel now is as bad an enemy to the viewers as Evil Morty has ever been.

By the end, you're conflicted. On the one hand, the idea of a new 'President Morty' is great, brimming with hope for the future.. but on the other hand, we know that it's Evil Morty. The same Morty that conceived the 'Morty dome'. He's evil. But then is it really that evil to fight a society that's quite as oppressive as the Citadel with every means you've got? Conventional means wouldn't have changed things, only Evil Morty could reach those levels of power and make things change. We're shown how fucked up things are, through the eyes of all the characters portrayed. We're shown, in the boardroom, that there is no democracy. It's implied that the only answer to the oppressive leadership of the Ricks is Evil Morty's answer, there is no working within the limits of ones power from the inside, because nobody will recognize a Morty's status. There was no debating there, it was kill or be killed for Evil Morty.

The question now is, will they keep Evil Morty's 'evil' at this morally ambivolous point (within the already messed up Citadel-verse, he's not portrayed to be that much worse than the average murderer, junky, killer-cop, or even classist bigot), or will they dumb him down to being 'pure evil' by the time the conflict with the main characters arrives?

I also love how, in the end, all we're left with is Rick C-137 and our Morty as the only characters with a shred of happiness in the whole episode. Stark contrast, really, seeing them come out of Atlantis talking about "Mermaid puss" and having fun, after all that doom and gloom. Helps promote Rick's libertarian attitude, since he's enjoying life way more than any other Rick in the series.
    Last edited by AfroSamurai; September 11th, 2017 at 06:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Spoiler:
    Does this one counts as the "interdimensional cable" one of the season? Because I enjoyed this one a lot more, even if the plottwist was way too obvious.
    Spoiler:
    No. Next week is going to be the Interdimensioal Cable stand-in. The promos said so.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Spoiler:
    No. Next week is going to be the Interdimensioal Cable stand-in. The promos said so.
    The promos also said this week was atlantis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    The promos also said this week was atlantis.
    Yeah, and those promos were so short and innocuous that of course it wasn't going to actually be about Atlantis.

But with next week's promos they deliberately broke the fourth wall to tell us this was going to be the Interdimensional Cable episode to hype it up. It makes no sense and wouldn't be funny for them to be lying about it.

Never one hundred percent believe these promos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Yeah, and those promos were so short and innocuous that of course it wasn't going to actually be about Atlantis.
    lol I forgot all about the Atlantis angle when watching the rest of it.

A really really great episode.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

I remember feeling a little bummed at the beginning of the ep that we wouldn't be able to follow our usual Rick and Morty and see the Atlantis journey...but then that quickly evaporated due to how fun this episode was. Loved it! And it's kinda nice, anyway, to think that the Atlantis trip being offscreened meant that R&M C-137 just went off and had a happy, enjoyable adventure together.

I liked Cop Rick quite a lot. I hope we get to see him again when Rick and Morty C-137 inevitably face off against Evil Morty/his Citadel, or at least in some future Citadel episode. Was glad that he was one of the (very few) people we followed in the episode who actually survived it, haha.

Also, were we supposed to know who Trenchcoat Rick was? (The one who gave Campaign Manager Morty the pictures that proved that Candidate Morty = Evil Morty) As in, have we seen him somewhere before? Cuz if so, I don't remember it. Or was he just another Rick?

And as for Evil Morty coming back, I'm pretty excited about that. I actually re-watched "Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind" just a couple of weeks ago and was wondering when Evil Morty would come back/if it would happen this season, so it was fun to see. Between Evil Morty and his Evil Citadel, and Tammy/ PhoenixPerson/ the remnants of the Galactic Federation, should be fun to see how the feuds with these two major enemy factions play out.
    Hidden:

This episode was too all over the place for me, jumping back and forth from one character story to another in order to give us an idea of life in the Citadel, all in the time span of 25 minutes.

I did enjoy the Harry Potter, Training Day, and Willy Wonka inspired themes though.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    This episode was too all over the place for me, jumping back and forth from one character story to another in order to give us an idea of life in the Citadel, all in the time span of 25 minutes.

I did enjoy the Dead Poet's Society, Training Day, and Willy Wonka/Brazil inspired themes though.
    Fixed that for ya

It's not really how the citadel works, but our world too. I think.

And I must be the only dumbass that was paying no attention at all and got surprised by the twist. Well, at least it made me happy I guess, so it's better like that

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post

I did enjoy the Harry Potter, Training Day, and Willy Wonka inspired themes though.
    I thought it juggled it all really well. Everything sorta feeds into the political subplot, and there were some really clever transitions that played into that (plots introduced through the television broadcasting the political story, Evil Morty's speech at the debate overlayed with imagery from the various plots, and Evil Morty's final speech paired with the ends of each story). While the plots mostly don't intersect each other, they all show us how the Citadel works and the tensions within that allow Evil Morty to take over. The ep also affirms who Rick and Morty essentially are and distinguish the ones we know from the group taking refuge in the Citadel (reinforcing Rick's points about how faulty the whole institution is).

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Fixed that for ya
    Nah. The coming of age story was a Stand By Me pastiche (with Harry Potter inspiring the Snape-like Rick). Brazil has a few intersecting themes, but I don't see anything here at all taking much direct inspiration. No clue where you're pulling Dead Poet's Society from.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Still haven't seen Dead Poets Society so I wouldn't be able to tell either way but I definitely saw some Harry Potter in there.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post

Nah. The coming of age story was a Stand By Me pastiche (with Harry Potter inspiring the Snape-like Rick). Brazil has a few intersecting themes, but I don't see anything here at all taking much direct inspiration. No clue where you're pulling Dead Poet's Society from.
    A bunch of repressed teens wearing foppish uniforms fooling around in the countryside fighting for their individualism? Stand by Me would be more appropriate though, haven't thought of that. The ending of Factory Worker Rick was totally Brazil though.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    A bunch of repressed teens wearing foppish uniforms fooling around in the countryside fighting for their individualism? Stand by Me would be more appropriate though, haven't thought of that.
    Spoiler:
    Considering one of the teens commits suicide at the end, then it is more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Spoiler:
    Considering one of the teens commits suicide at the end, then it is more fitting.
    Spoiler:
    To be fair, that also happened in Dead Poet's Society.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information