+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick and Morty

Default Rick and Morty

For those that missed the premiere on Adult Swim

I cannot express in words how much I love this show. And you should love it too.

The series is created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland. And apparently it takes alot of inspiration from Back to the Future in terms of the dynamic between the two main characters, and also a bunch of other sci-fi sort of shows.

Default Re: Rick and Morty

As much as I love all the sci-fi futurama-esque vibes (in terms of slice of life/allusions/character focus) I get from this show. I still can't help but feel perturbed a bit with it. Something about the imagery bugs me the wrong way and takes me away from enjoying the interaction between Rick and Morty (which is the highlight over the show imho). I really do like the imagination and writing of the show, but I can't help but think how unnecessarily it is to have all this sex based alien imagery. I know it is Adult Swim and there are some juveniles that will find it hilarious, but...I dunno, I find it more disturbing than appealing and VERY distracting. I'll continue to give it a chance since I DO hope there is some background continuous plot between episodic adventures, but I hope they tone down the unpleasant imagery.

At least with Futurama, the sex oriented stuff was implied and suggested. We never really DID see blatant alien boobs or scrotums or whatever they are.

I actually like how disgusting it is tbh. It's sort of why I prefer South Park over most animated sitcoms, which is a shame because I think that show made a standard for being one of the few shows that actually does try to get away with stuff. But yeah, I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea. Especially if you don't take any sort of enjoyment out of being legitimately bothered by weird shit.

And no. I don't even to compare this to futurama(not a big fan of the show outside 3-5 episodes tbh). The creators obviously have different inspirations with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    I actually like how disgusting it is tbh. It's sort of why I prefer South Park over most animated sitcoms, which is a shame because I think that show made a standard for being one of the few shows that actually does try to get away with stuff. But yeah, I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea. Especially if you don't take any sort of enjoyment out of being legitimately bothered by weird shit.

And no. I don't even to compare this to futurama(not a big fan of the show outside 3-5 episodes tbh). The creators obviously have different inspirations with this one.
    Oh yeah I can definitely see how it can appeal to someone since the designs are certainly creative...albeit sex based but still creative and the color combination is awesome in the sci-fi dimension sorta thing. One of the better designs/ideas being the super tree or something which is pretty clever (i.e design, concept, and execution) in terms of the amount of jokes they made on a verbal and visual level. But everything else sex related was really distracting. I just wish if they were to make sex jokes, they would stick to something like the Super Tree rather than having...simple blatant in your face monster boob alien thing.

Oh it is clear that the creators aren't inspired from Futurama but they are essentially very similar in terms of their genre and focus (but that's about it...SO FAR based on one episode). I only make the comparison because...I don't think there are a whole lot of other animated shows I can compare it with that's similar to this in terms of being sci fi/adult/slice of life/humor based.

You know. I find it rather funny. The show has more themes that I feel could be disturbing or even controversial. But sex? Whoa Whoa! Can't say it's a thing that crossed my mind.
    But hey, different strokes.

Well yeah there's totally a whole lot more behind this show than just...sex. I mean heck, Rick and Morty's interaction alone brings forth a whole plethora of disturbing stuff (my favorites being Rick's general disregard for Morty's well being, the terrible life lessons, and his overall manipulative nature). But..meh, never a fan of disturbing sexual imagery strictly for the sake of being "disturbing or unpleasant" in animated shows.

I can't wait to watch this because the promos looked killer

Weird, since I loved all of the strange imagery, but couldn't stand the interaction. Rick and Morty are a nonstop engine of awkward dialog. Their dynamic has a weird energy that is sometimes amusing and other times just goddamn annoying. I get that the awkwardness trying to be more real, but sometimes it just feels poorly done and uncanny on top of awkward.

The humor is good, the visuals are pretty and the visual humor is top notch (that one scene with Morty smoking that alien ganja, puking up a baby and watching it age to death all while running away from interdimensional security was brilliant) but its just those goddamn voices. And that's not to say there isn't good voice acting since the other characters are fine (and Chris Parnell's voice as the father is just perfect), but the main characters need some more breathing room in their dialogue so that I don't suffocate.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Watched this on accident and it was horrible. Surprised that this thread exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    The humor is good, the visuals are pretty and the visual humor is top notch (that one scene with Morty smoking that alien ganja, puking up a baby and watching it age to death all while running away from interdimensional security was brilliant) but its just those goddamn voices. And that's not to say there isn't good voice acting since the other characters are fine (and Chris Parnell's voice as the father is just perfect), but the main characters need some more breathing room in their dialogue so that I don't suffocate.
    Yeah this was probably the funniest moment of the episode (disturbing, weird, and just downright goofy). The other one being Rick and calling the alien bugs bureaucratic "Robots".

Well for me, the charm within the dialogue is the awkwardness. It is just so uncomfortable, unpleasant, and weird that I can't help enjoy it for it just being really charmingly unpleasant (which is odd since I can't stand the unpleasant imagery). The only two moments that I found the interaction to be annoying was the scene where Morty was screaming in pain (broken legs) while Rick was trying to talk over him....and the final scene where Morty was moaning in pain or whatever (seed in rectum) and Rick was yelling over him..again. It just seems to be "noise making for noise making sake" which is kinda grating. But other than that, the interaction was really fun in an awkward unpleasant way.

Hahah! To be fair, they are both voiced by the same person and most of Rick's lines are retroscipted. It could get better in time. From what I heard in interviews, there might me moments where other characters sort of have their moments. Perhaps it can break up Rick and Morty's dynamic a bit? I unno.

Also guys. If you played point and click games before, check out thier game on Adult Swim. It's so dumb, but I could not help be get alot of laughs out of it.

It just sort of straddles a line for me. I'm totally down with the idea of showcasing more awkward dialog in shows, because people don't usually breath aphorisms and one-liners, but sometimes the scripted quality of it shows through. Of course I'm giving this show a chance, because Adult Swim fare tends to grow (just try comparing Moral Orel's first and third seasons), but the interaction peeves me a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Also guys. If you played point and click games before, check out thier game on Adult Swim. It's so dumb, but I could not help be get alot of laughs out of it.
    The game is what actually got my attention first. I'm a sucker for point'em click'ems.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

It just sort of straddles a line for me. I'm totally down with the idea of showcasing more awkward dialog in shows, because people don't usually breath aphorisms and one-liners, but sometimes the scripted quality of it shows through. Of course I'm giving this show a chance, because Adult Swim fare tends to grow (just try comparing Moral Orel's first and third seasons), but the interaction peeves me a little.
    Sigh...thanks for sending me back down the depression spiral. But yeah, this could just be going through the awkward "first season" syndrome that Moral Orel went through where they are testing the waters and seeing what works and what doesn't. etc...
    No doubt I'll keep giving it a chance to see where it goes.

Lord knows Morel Orel's first episode was....VERY bad (and it ranged from decent to downright terrible until the end of the first season).
    Last edited by valiantt; December 4th, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

I really liked this as a first episode. It had lots of great little moments. Rick kept burping and drooling and that grossed me out but other than that it was a really solid first episode and it's going to be super promising. Totally down to keep watching this.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

First thing I thought when I saw the commercial for this was "is this some weird version of back to the future?"
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

I was immediately curious when I was the promo on Adult Swim, so I figured "why not?"

I really really like the whole premise, the whole crazy-scientist-and-relative-go-on-wacky-adventures set-up. Science! Rick was entertaining (although I really hope he's not drooling and/or burping all the time)....Morty's okay. Obviously part of the charm lies in how awkward and how much of an outcast he is, but hopefully he'll develop into a confident guy and not just say some variant of "oh geez" all the time.

Still....I'd be willing to watch more. Is it weird I'm surprised Dan Harmon had a hand in this?

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Weird, since I loved all of the strange imagery, but couldn't stand the interaction. Rick and Morty are a nonstop engine of awkward dialog. Their dynamic has a weird energy that is sometimes amusing and other times just goddamn annoying. I get that the awkwardness trying to be more real, but sometimes it just feels poorly done and uncanny on top of awkward.

This is pretty much my take on it. There's some neat concepts (I love the idea behind the online game tie in) and the voice acting is great but the rambling-style dialogue really irks me. I hated that style in Home Movies and it's my least favorite element in this show. I'll continue to give the show a chance on the visuals/ alternate realities alone but I pray for tighter dialogue (and less drunk burping) in the future.

Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

From what I gather, Rick is a really(like really) sickly/ill old man that thinks he's above everything due to his genius. I'm not sure if his nasty perps or abuse towards Morty would go away unless he dies or something, but that's contradictory to the title hahah. Personally I don't have too much problems with him. And I'm kind of a fan of dialogues that sound casual or disconnected from outright narrating the plot out loud when the visuals could move the story just as much.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with the show. A lot of the dialogue bothered me... alot. I think it had some funny elements, but something felt off. But I'll wait to see the next few episodes to see if it gets stronger. Also the burbling and slobbering was a too much for me haha.

Oh, this is an Adult Swim show? I've seen the promo being shown on TVs at stores and stuff and just figured it was another Regular Show-esque program on regular Cartoon Network. Also, the Doctor guy sounds like Phil from BroTeam.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information