+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Mob Psycho 100 by (ONE)

Default Re: Mob Psycho 100 by (ONE)

Mob and OPM are thematically similar, so they warrant comparison. I think that Mob isn't big enough yet to make judgments on, but it's been a fun ride so far.

Despite having the same lame attitude as Saitama, Mob is a very different character because he is passive. As such, I think his mockery of arrogance coms across better through Mob's story, though Saitama's is way more satisfying, since we always get to see just how superior he is.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Dat 2nd-to-last page.

Quote Originally Posted by burning-rat View Post
    I'm sorry if i sounded rude, maybe it's my poor choice of words.

1. I fail to see how being the owner/maker of said manga matters at all. We are all readers expressing our opinions on this manga, it's just that some of the previous comments seem unjustified and rather snooty "oh it's good but it's not as good as our beloved opm". Imagine having a discussion of the newest chapter of one piece, and some people barge in every few posts saying "oh it was good, but this week's naruto is still better". This is what i meant by arrogant, it seems out of place to me.

2. having the same author for both of them is NOT a sufficient argument for a fair comparison, if you're using the standards for opm to measure mp while clearly mp and opm are not in the same genre.

3. I am aware that most of you have read ONE's webcomic, however I stand by my point that without murata's redraw, most of you wouldn't even have heard of opm. At no point did i mention that reading the webcomic "is not good" or that opm as a manga "isn't good". All i'm saying that opm is clearly the hype right now, when mp is a minor work most of you haven't even heard about, so to me it seems your opinions are a bit biased, at least for now.
    1. I still don't think that's snobby. Most of us are reading Mob Psycho 100 with OPM in our minds, as the One manga we've started with. The comparison is natural to make.

2. I'm not sure if you know how comparisons work. You can compare just about anything, especially stories, in the same genre, written by the same author, with a very similar artstyle. But you seem to want specifics. Since Wagomu talked about the main characters, I'll talk about the villains we have thus far:

Spoiler:
    There are similarities between Hanazawa and Garou. They both are insufferable pricks who develop powers that make them feel special, and different from other humans. Garou tries to leave humanity by becoming a monster, while Hanazawa thinks he's over humans as an esper. I have now compared the main villains thus far. I could talk about the huge similarity in tone or general design too if you want me to do so.

Oh, and about genre, though they are in separate subgenre's, they are both action/comedy shonen web-manga. We can compare them for the same reason that we compare things like Naruto and One Piece.

3. There would be a much higher chance of us not hearing of OPM if not for the redraw because it wasn't in Jump. The quality of the art is definitely appealing, but I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have fallen in love with OPM if we were exposed to One's version before Murata's. For me at least it was the storytelling and the characterization more than the art that made me fall in love with OPM after one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Mob and OPM are thematically similar, so they warrant comparison. I think that Mob isn't big enough yet to make judgments on, but it's been a fun ride so far.

Despite having the same lame attitude as Saitama, Mob is a very different character because he is passive. As such, I think his mockery of arrogance coms across better through Mob's story, though Saitama's is way more satisfying, since we always get to see just how superior he is.
    only on first sight, they are thematically similar. If you get down to it, mp is the complete opposite of opm; it depicts the tragedy of a character who is afraid of himself and secluded himself from the rest emotionally without realizing it (which would be a nice debate btw, if shallow elements like "epicness" or "badassery" can be further explained)

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    But seriously, I can compare what I want, they're comics and in the same subgenre.
    I rest my case on arrogance. On a side note, opm (seinen, spoof of all shounen, mainly action) vs mp (shounen, psychological dilemma, mainly supernatural and slice of life) doesn't sound like there would be many similarities for a good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    2. I'm not sure if you know how comparisons work. You can compare just about anything, especially stories, in the same genre, written by the same author, with a very similar artstyle. But you seem to want specifics. Since Wagomu talked about the main characters, I'll talk about the villains we have thus far:

Spoiler:
    There are similarities between Hanazawa and Garou. They both are insufferable pricks who develop powers that make them feel special, and different from other humans. Garou tries to leave humanity by becoming a monster, while Hanazawa thinks he's over humans as an esper. I have now compared the main villains thus far. I could talk about the huge similarity in tone or general design too if you want me to do so.
    Thank you, that's actually really insightful and interesting, and worth talking about. This is what I meant by "backing up with reasoning". Of course we can talk about the similarity or our opinions on the characters or humor, I simply missed argumentary support in some of the previous posts.

I do apologize for sounding a bit rude, i am a tad disappointed over 50% of this board consists of "i compare whatever the hell i want" instead of talking about/analyzing the actual manga this board is meant for
    Last edited by burning-rat; December 20th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

....what?

You do realize by telling people what to do and what type of opinions they are allowed to have, you're the one that's acting the most snobbish right?
    I mean that's like the by-the-book example of a snob.

You can certainly disagree with it, argue it, or debunk it.
    Last edited by Aohige_AP; December 20th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

only on first sight, they are thematically similar. If you get down to it, mp is the complete opposite of opm; it depicts the tragedy of a character who is afraid of himself and secluded himself from the rest emotionally without realizing it (which would be a nice debate btw, if shallow elements like "epicness" or "badassery" can be further explained)
    Well yeah, thematically similar only refers to surface level stuff. That's why comparison is necessary; to sort out the differences and to see how they both play into the author's framework. I agree that Saitama and Mob are opposite characters from the beginning. Saitama actively sought his power while Mob was born with his. That's where their differences stem from. Saitama isn't afraid to show off his talents, because they are exactly what he wanted, but people refuse to acknowledge him due to his lame personality. On the other end, Mob was born with talents that other people want to use and abuse, but he doesn't want to be defined by them. In both series, the main characters are surrounded by arrogant figures that oppose them in different ways. For Saitama, it's the heroes that are acknowledged because they talk a big game and the villains who think they're truly strong out of a naive sense of superiority. For Mob, it's his friends who use him because they want to be a part of Mob's talent and his foes who want to be validated by fighting Mob. The overarching conflict is still dullness versus arrogance, but the morals and ideas at the core are different.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

I'm sorry but if Mob existed in real life I would really not like him at all, LOL.

Good series, though.

Ok thats it, I'm more ansious for the next Mob episode than the next from OPM.

I'm sorry Saitama, but you have been demoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    ....what?

You do realize by telling people what to do and what type of opinions they are allowed to have, you're the one that's acting the most snobbish right?
    I mean that's like the by-the-book example of a snob.

You can certainly disagree with it, argue it, or debunk it.
    i'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm saying that i'm disappointed in some of your fellow posters' "contribution".

Quote Originally Posted by Baldulf View Post
    Ok thats it, I'm more ansious for the next Mob episode than the next from OPM.

I'm sorry Saitama, but you have been demoted.
    true, barely anything happened in the latest chapter.
    Last edited by burning-rat; December 20th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.

Two omakes are up.

Reigen is best banchou. I mean, best character.

Reigen could probably convince me that he is a banchou, anyway.

i'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm saying that i'm disappointed in some of your fellow posters' "contribution".
    So it was an evil twin that wrote this?

people need to stop comparing this manga as a whole to opm.
    To which, you proceeded to call them snobs.

When I tell someone to not have certain opinions, I am fully aware of being a snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    So it was an evil twin that wrote this?

To which, you proceeded to call them snobs.

When I tell someone to not have certain opinions, I am fully aware of being a snob.
    cool story bro. I have thoroughly explained my reasoning in the following posts, if you only stick to my first post then that's a bit selective and unfair of you. You're too defensive about something that isn't even directed at you, or even most of you. The white knighting is unnecessary is all i'm saying.

cool story bro. I have further explained my reasoning in the following posts, if you only stick to my first post then that's a bit selective of you.
    No, he's right. You've been particularly aggressive, and really you should tone it down on the aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    No, he's right. You've been particularly aggressive, and really you should tone it down on the aggression.
    hmm i apologize for that mate. If that is already too aggressive for this board, i guess i have no more business here because we haven't even started talking about the manga, it's just petty quoting and unnecessary arguing left and right. My contributions are clearly not welcome here, because anything i say immediately gets shot down/misinterpreted.

I am disappointed in this board, and will leave now. Have a nice day.

Wow that was thankfully quick.

On a more topical note, I'm curious to see if Mob as a character manages to stick to his principles here, especially if and when reigen is shown to be a fraud. It seems like his immediate anabdonment of them as soon as he 'snaps' or whatever might belie a willingness to indulge in power etc after all. I'm hoping he gets a little more 'bad' is what I suppose I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    Wow that was thankfully quick.

On a more topical note, I'm curious to see if Mob as a character manages to stick to his principles here, especially if and when reigen is shown to be a fraud. It seems like his immediate anabdonment of them as soon as he 'snaps' or whatever might belie a willingness to indulge in power etc after all. I'm hoping he gets a little more 'bad' is what I suppose I'm saying.
    Is not that he abandons his principles every time he snaps. This time he was unconscious, when he is at his regular 100% mode he still has some self control.

Mob's character is built around the consequences of emotion supression. On a regular person this kind of repression could turn into aberrant and compulsive behavior, fanatism or simply madness. In Mob's case we could be talking about about an entity of its own, which could be the unidentifiable thing Teru perceived back then.

For One standards, even the art is pretty good! Mob is truly a great series so far.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/213099/...rieru-scans/19

Hmm who would be stronger...Mob 100% or Tatsumaki from OPM? They are both espers with identical telekineses powers and they are both otherwordly strong.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information