+ Reply to Thread
Page 661 of 666 FirstFirst ... 161 561 611 651 659 660 661 662 663 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,220 of 13311

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez committed suicide by hanging himself.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...D=ansmsnnews11
    Only logical outcome in his scenario.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez committed suicide by hanging himself.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...D=ansmsnnews11
    How is this kind of thing even possible in prisons today? As long as inmate suicides are realistically accomplishable, we've left the back door open for guards to just murder people.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    How is this kind of thing even possible in prisons today? As long as inmate suicides are realistically accomplishable, we've left the back door open for guards to just murder people.
    Apparently, it was done with his bedsheet. That said, I'm not shedding any tears for this guy.

Hello.
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/04/14/...ainst-her-will
    Basically, if you are a female living in Saudi, you cannot fly anywhere unless your guardian agrees to it.
    Dina Ali managed to escape, booking a flight to Australia to seek asylum there. the flight was a transit and she stopped in Philippine where Saudi Airline employees alongside airport official took her to an office, took her passport and detained her, where she released this message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfiVnEyqlGs
    The claims of arranged marriage, I am not very sure of, but the video remains very true.
    Her uncles came, one of which is a high official in the national telecom company, tied her up and took her into the plane and back to Saudi.
    Dina's fate is currently unknown, but know that honor killings are a thing still in Saudi.

The guardianship system is one of the ugliest and most oppressive things ever. A female in Saudi cannot even get emergency medical treatment without the agreement of her guardian, who can be her husband, son, father, brother or even a distant uncle or the local judge.
    A fully grown woman can be dismissed from her job if her guardian decided so.
    Taking legal actions against an oppressive guardian can, and would most likely do you more harm than good. If a woman files a report against her father who wouldn't allow her marriage or work for example, he can counter it by filing a عقوق report (translates roughly into "disobedient") where the daughter would be cornered into either going back to his house to probably be beaten to pulp (its worthy of mentioning that if a daughter calls the police or national officials to aid her in this situation they wouldn't be able to get into the house unless the guardian agreed to) or go to a "care house" which is no more than a jail, really.

Tl;dr the situation in Saudi is sickening for females and I do not know how it will or can end. I am sad about this and all the Saudi females who hope for nothing more than to experience having basic human rights but will probably die before getting them.

Edit: I noticed that the honor killings part sound overdramatic, and yeah. the general conscious is that she is alive since the government has its attention on this and so her family would probably not be so rash as to kill her, but the chances of her being in any type of a positive disposition is low to nonexistent.
    Last edited by NER; April 19th, 2017 at 01:17 PM.

Hidden:
    This phony honor code that puts you on your throne, a double standard you invoke when you want~

On the other end of the spectrum, the UK continues to pass the Bechdel test with flying colors recently as dueling female leaders clash on the road to ever deeper conservative cesspit for England, and ever more likely independence for Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Apparently, it was done with his bedsheet. That said, I'm not shedding any tears for this guy.
    I'm not either, but there have been plenty of news stories about people "just turning up dead" who shouldn't have been in jail in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    Saudi Arabia is shitty.
    I can't wait for the day the United States drops Saudi Arabia like a fully loaded baby's diaper.

Better yet, the day women have long fought for in the country when these sexist and patriarchal laws are struck down and women are given a bigger voice in the country's politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    On the other end of the spectrum, the UK continues to pass the Bechdel test with flying colors recently as dueling female leaders clash on the road to ever deeper conservative cesspit for England, and ever more likely independence for Scotland.
    I really hope that Scotland independence vote works out in a couple of years. Scotland deserves it and Britain did it to themselves.
    Everything's Eventual...

What about Northern Ireland?
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    What about Northern Ireland?
    If Northern Ireland leaves its not becoming independent but uniting with the Republic of Ireland.
    But such a process could restart up the Troubles potentially, this time with more terrorism momentum from the Protestant side.

Damn. I missed the bull talk lol.

I had honestly thought it was placed by Wallstreet cause it was supposed to be the Golden Calf of sorts.

On to Hernandez. Why wait till after acquittals?

~My Harem, S-Rank~

Not firelord ozai or zuko firelord111's Avatar

Ahmadinejad got Disqualified

By fire be purged

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39661339

I am not overly aware of the Jehovah's witness sect. Are they worthy of such an extreme reaction?
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Mostly just annoying (door to door preaching), and maybe boring sometimes (don't celebrate anything, even birthdays). But extremists is more than ridiculous. In Russia, maybe they're different, but from what I just read, I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by xan View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39661339

I am not overly aware of the Jehovah's witness sect. Are they worthy of such an extreme reaction?
    American Jehova's Witnesses definitely aren't. I've had them come to the door twice in my entire life, and they were polite and empathetic both times.

I can understand that it's annoying (and offensive) to have someone offer unsolicited religious advice, but they're the polar opposite of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Edit: When I think annoying people who corner you in the subway and force offensive pamphlets on you, I think Mormons. Their stuff is really scary (always emphasizing hell as the main reason you should convert).
    Last edited by RoboBlue; April 21st, 2017 at 06:20 AM.

Jehova's witness in both Japan and America are just annoying at most. There's nothing extreme about their practice or belief, just minor annoyance when you have them knocking on your door.

I worked with a guy who was a Jehova's Witness. Pleasant enough fellow. His dad ran a bike repair shop.
    Last edited by y2kyle89; April 21st, 2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: I forget how it came up. Small talk about working on Easter? Knowing me I made a Nihilistic comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

It's the same here in Hungary. We mostly joke about them. The grandma of one of my old acquintances invited them inside every time they knocked on her door and they'd speak on and on and have tea and buscuits. This was in Serbia though. Don't ask what I was doing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Damn. I missed the bull talk lol.

I had honestly thought it was placed by Wallstreet cause it was supposed to be the Golden Calf of sorts.

On to Hernandez. Why wait till after acquittals?
    Because apparently Massachusetts has this weird law or somesuch where if a person whose convicted of a crime dies while their case is being appealed
    the result of the case effectively winds up being thrown out. He also might've done ot to ensure his next of kin gets the money the Patriots apparently owe him.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I actually live right next to a Jehovah's Witnesses building, but they had to build it under the condition that they wouldn't go to my neighborhood, so that's a win there haha. Haven't met too many of them but they seem like decent people.

Spoiler:

That's pretty ridiculous. I've interacted with a couple Jehovah's witnesses over the years and they're nice enough.
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information