+ Reply to Thread
Page 803 of 803 FirstFirst ... 303 703 753 793 801 802 803
Results 16,041 to 16,053 of 16053

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Partly why poor Irishmen had such a hard time here. That and Catholic.

I don't think anti-Irish racism in the US was from all the English ancestry here, though I mean... I do kinda wonder...
    Mostly I think it was yes partly the Catholic thing, but also the general racism thing where the middle class demographics will look at grinding urban poverty and crime that a minority group is mired in... and conclude that surely the reason that minority is poor and violent is some inherent cultural/genetic inferiority. Same old story.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Plenty of Greeks look the same as Iranians, but then I don't know how you guys consider yourselves.

Either way in the US historically it really meant a sort of class/cultural thing even if nobody realized this was what they were doing.
    Remember the founding dominant culture in the US at the start was from England, so those people judged newcomers in relation to that.

At first it would have been pretty much just English (and maybe Dutch and Scottish) that were "white" in that way.
    Eventually anyone speaking Germanic languages from Protestant backgrounds were considered closer to "white".
    And by now this has spread to basically all Europeans, regardless of religion and background.

However even though plenty of Italians and Greeks can look identical to Arabs, Turks and Iranians? You guys are still on the outs in this regard, because Muslim.
    In Iran there is racism between people because everyone in Iran isn't Persian(even if everyone have same race people want someway to feel superior) the least racism I heard were about Kurds the most were Afghans cause refugees and immigration problem people have but skin color is not relevant at all since I started talking to western people I realised weird talk about skin color which always raised the question of how is someone considered white since skin color doesn't count
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

What the fuck is wrong with you guys: NYTimes horrendous interview with the Arrested Development cast:

tl;dr - Jessica Walter relates Jeffrey Tambor's horrific behaviour to her, male cast members are assholes and try to downplay it, only Alia Shawkat's calling it out

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Oh man, he's not gonna be a Freeman anymore.

^ Sexual Harassment isn't something you generally imprison someone for.

But if the allegations are true he would be free in the same way people like Mario Batali and Louis CK are i.e. not getting much work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Fuck me. Not Freeman too.

It's really start to make me question, just who else?...
    Working process.

Noooooo, not Morgan Freeman. Who else is supposed to be God?

First Bill Cosby, now this?! Who is next, Samuel L. Jackson?

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    First Bill Cosby, now this?! Who is next, Samuel L. Jackson?
    I dare you!!

So, uh, some good news?

So George Takei may not be in as deep shit as we once thought: George Takei’s Accuser Has Changed His Story of Drugging and Assault

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information