+ Reply to Thread
Page 841 of 841 FirstFirst ... 341 741 791 831 839 840 841
Results 16,801 to 16,817 of 16817

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Nope here in the U.S. people don't care too much about gun safety.

Which is why children getting shot by guns they stumble across is such a recurring problem (in addition to the deaths that are premeditated).

Apparently there's a website I came across that cites this stuff

https://everytownresearch.org/notanaccident/#12501
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Somebody should post this on every NRA's door:

Hidden:

Also, be careful of Yelp, people. It and Grubhub are screwing with you and the restaurants themselves:
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/w...NjftoVmp0a6p_4

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Somebody should post this on every NRA's door:

I get that Twitter is full of people attempting to mic-drop each other, but what in the honest hell does that mean?

Registering a truck and licensing the driver won't stop a deranged maniac from ramming it into a crowd. I don't know if other states do it differently, but nowhere in California does the driver licensing or car registration process involve a psych eval. I might be wrong, but I don't think a history of conviction also prevents you from obtaining a license or registering a car either.

Re: insurance on trucks, financial compensation would be scant consolation for a grieving family. Not to mention that the liability on most auto insurances would payout a laughable amount to the families of someone ramming down a 100 people.

I don't honestly understand the gun control debate (even the fact that it is a debate in the first place).

The point is, vehicles are capable of *accidentally* killing people, so there's a long series of hoops you have to go through. Training, an evaluation test, and constant payments in case of accident. It's treated as a responsibility. We have even one accident, and there's a litany of laws regulating and policing its use. Accidents still happen, but they're regulated as best as possible.

One crazy guy on an airplane sneaks in a shoe bomb, and by the next day instantly airports start having everyone remove their shoes going through security as a permanent additional security check.

Guns you can just get and be off with the intent to kill. We have literally hundreds of intentional murder sprees, and they don't get any further regulation.

If you had to go through even half the loops to get a gun as you do to get a driver's license, or a quarter of the loops you need for an abortion, that would cut down gun violence overnight.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

What it all boils down to is that there are much more extensive restrictions on things that were created with a specific use other than killing something than there are for a thing explicitly designed to kill things as efficiently as possible. In no way is that a sane state of affairs.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If you had to go through even half the loops to get a gun as you do to get a driver's license, or a quarter of the loops you need for an abortion, that would cut down gun violence overnight.
    But Robby, that doesn't make a difference because then the bad guy would just get guns illegally. Because, you know, everyone has innate knowledge of where and how to get guns illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    But Robby, that doesn't make a difference because then the bad guy would just get guns illegally. Because, you know, everyone has innate knowledge of where and how to get guns illegally.
    Insert random poorly researched comment about Chicago.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

The point is, vehicles are capable of *accidentally* killing people, so there's a long series of hoops you have to go through. Training, an evaluation test, and constant payments in case of accident. It's treated as a responsibility. We have even one accident, and there's a litany of laws regulating and policing its use. Accidents still happen, but they're regulated as best as possible.

One crazy guy on an airplane sneaks in a shoe bomb, and by the next day instantly airports start having everyone remove their shoes going through security as a permanent additional security check.

Guns you can just get and be off with the intent to kill. We have literally hundreds of intentional murder sprees, and they don't get any further regulation.

What he said.

You can argue that Japan has way too many hoops to jump through in order to legally get a gun, but how many gun murders does Japan have? Answer: practically none. Unless you count yakuza, but they get their guns through the black market.

It is funny how you sort of come full circle from being a kid who thinks guns are totes teh coolest to being an adult terrified of being shot

A real gun is quite different from a Super Soaker or a Nerf gun.

So... apparently the Amazon rain forest is on fire.

And it's been on fire for weeks.

The smoke cloud is the size of a third of the US, and is casting cities into darkness.

And president Bolsonaro, elected in just last January, is calling it fake news, and campaigned on deforestation.

And no one is reporting it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1163966932623609856
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...ce-2019-08-20/
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/2067220001/
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I found out about this while reading about the salt over you know what.

And I can't recall if the person who posted about it cited what the picture showing the burning trees was from.

So... apparently the Amazon rain forest is on fire.

And it's been on fire for weeks.

The smoke cloud is the size of a third of the US, and is casting cities into darkness.

And president Bolsonaro, elected in just last January, is calling it fake news, and campaigned on deforestation.

And no one is reporting it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1163966932623609856
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...ce-2019-08-20/
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/2067220001/
    That's the same president who fired the director of the institution that collects those kind of data because he didn't liked how it makes things look bad for him, claiming without proof that it had to benefit some international non-governmental organization.

Also the same president who forced Germany and Norway to stop investing their funds to protect the amazon because he just bad at this, claiming they wanted to stole the Amazon from him.

Also the same president that asked on Twitter what Golden Shower was and later this year posted a video of a whale hunt on Faroe Islands, claiming it was on Norway.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

So, I have to ask.

Since the Amazon rain forwest is like huge, like super super big, bigger than lots of countries sized.
    How much does it actually affect it?
    Doesn't every forest burn from time to time and grow back again?

New Jersey Man Arrested With Grenade Launcher and White Supremacist Literature

It feels like more of these are popping up lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    So, I have to ask.

Since the Amazon rain forwest is like huge, like super super big, bigger than lots of countries sized.
    Apparently the rainforest makes up about 20% of the earth's oxygen so all those trees being burned down is significant problem. Secondly depending on how extensive the fires are during a wildfire any trees burned during them typically don't grow back.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    So, I have to ask.

A normal forest can be grown back in about a hundred years. The rainforest will take housands.

The rainforest doesn't catch on fire typically, it's too damp. Man had to work at it to make it happen.

And its much, much bigger than any other forest. A chunk being taken out of it is a big deal. And a huge chunk of it is gone already, and more before it's done. If it loses anohter 1/5, it sets of a cascade effect that's going to wreck the whole forest and kill it all.

It provides 20% of the world's oxygen and filtering, considered "the lungs of the world." ... and scarier, its got a ton of stored carbon in there. That burning is going to set of a carbon bomb. Combined with all the ice melting thats releasing stored carbon... we're more screwed on Global Warming than we were a month ago. And we were already pretty damn screwed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information