+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

It's a bit of a guilty pleasure as it is not like anything I'd usually read, but... I've followed Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches weekly for a while. It's a fairly good series in terms of art, plot, humor and (sometimes) drama, though it has some weaknesses like too many "delinquent-ish" male characters, too similar faces and the fact that the recent chapters often seem more like a sequel series to first part than a continuation. Ironically, I tried to read Yankee-kun and Megane-chan by same writer, but it just didn't appeal to me.

Otherwise, I read One Piece (which I like a lot) and Fairy Tail (which I have more mixed feelings about, but I guess I like it more than most One Piece fans).

I'm not entirely sure how I discovered Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, since it seems to be a very obscure manga that basically no-one knows about. I seem to remember I gave it a try because I read the art style was similar to Fairy Tail (and the writer was an assistant of Mashima), but I cannot remember how I heard about it in the first place. Nonetheless, I've somehow come to like it.

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Just recently I stumbled on to Tokyo ESP and I'm finding it very interesting, love the art as well. I've been thinking lately of reading Black Haze as well, has around 50 chapters or so released. Has anyone here read it, and if so could you share your opinion on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
    Thanks for the Inu Yashiki recommendation. Didn't read it yet but I'll def check it out. I acknowledge Gantz turned into a trainwreck a long time ago, but it used to be good, so this one might also be worth a read.
    I stopped reading Gantz a bit after
    Spoiler:
    Kurono got revived
    and only read it again once it was already over.
    I suppose for those reading regularly, the pace must have been a pain like no other, but since I read it all at once I have to say I never got so excited with a manga as I got with that last "mission"! It was like an epic climax of 80 chapters that just kept rising and rising the tension, so loved everything about it (although I reckon so many things remain unexplained - or the explanation doesn't make sense - that it's not even worth starting to list them).

Well, I'm reading One Piece weekly, alongside Bleach and Naruto. Of course, I read Hunter X Hunter when it's off it hiatus (I can't wait for next week). As for weekly anime, I watch Hunter X Hunter 2011 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventures Season 2. Not sure why I try, since I'm not a very 'anime' sort of person.
    Currently trying to catch up on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and I will finish Part 6 soon, and when I reach the latest chapter of Jojolion, I will follow Jojo monthly. The idea of waiting for more chapters doesn't appeal to me.
    I'm reading Slam Dunk by print release only. Locally, I can buy the much cheaper Chuang Yi versions over the more expensive imported Viz volumes sold. I buy them when I can, and there's no real hurry.
    Eventually I plan to read Rurouni Kenshin. I tried to pick it up, but stopped because I couldn't stop reading Jojo instead.

Now that I look at it, it doesn't seem impressive, but I'll work on it slowly.

Wait holy shit I didn't realise Chuang Yi went bust! shit I just started collecting the volumes! Fuck, any way, it'll save money. i'll buy Viz when I have to.
    Last edited by Ordinary; May 24th, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

One Piece - No words needed
    Bleach - I just turn my brain off and enjoy the brief ride
    Naruto - My weekly torture session
    Fairy Tail - Kind of like Bleach, except i still have a little faith in it
    Toriko - Is it bad if i say i prefer Toriko to OP sometimes?
    Assassination Classroom - I like the concept and the fact that it doesnīt take itself to seriously
    Hajime no Ippo - Still extremelly engaging.
    Jojolion - Love it, but i hate the monthly format
    HunterxHunter - Ahah
    One Punch Man - Already read the original and now iīm just checking up the "best" version
    Tower of God - Itīs very good

I was reading Berserk, but just stoped doing it. Chapter releases are rare. Maybe i will resume it someday.
    Tried reading Attack on Titan, but i just didnīt found it all that interesting. The same with Soul Eater, although i think that one ended already.

This is my list:
    Spoiler:

Awesome tier:

Shokugeki no Soma (what I look forward to most every week)
    One Piece (same but with less enthusiasm)
    Kingdom (the enthusiasm for this series fell a bit when the translators caught up, I miss the 5-8 chapters a week thing)
    Tower of God (author on surgery hiatus, still stoked for when he gets back)
    Magi (and its spinoff) (more excited for the spinoff than the main series since the main series is in backstory explanation mode but still enjoyable nonetheless)
    Terra Formars (scanlators seem to wait for Volume releases so I'm waiting for the next jackpot)
    Ass Class (enjoyable non-arc chapters, can't wait to see what the next arc is about)
    Seven Deadly Sins (heating up)
    Vagabond (I don't even know the last time I read a chapter but I'm still waiting)
    Above Average:
    One Punch Man (art is amazing but I kinda think the hype is overrated)
    Gintama (current arc has a bunch of potential)
    Drifters (The one series I'm most excited about updates, as they are extremely erratic but have supposedly caught up in the last month)
    Toriko (it's picking up again)
    Silver Spoon (I love this series)
    Ravages of Time (can someone tell me the release schedule of this series' raws?)
    D.Gray Man (leaning towards average but I still have lingering affection towards it, I wonder how the author is doing right now?)
    High School of the Dead (leaning towards average, waiting for the author to get off his ass and write)
    To aru kagaku no railgun (I like the spinoff better but I'm still not going to read the light novel or watch the anime)
    Average:
    To aru majutsu no Index (average, doesn't seem to have much manga content to judge but it has light novels and an anime that I presume are further ahead in the story but I don't feel like watching/readig those)Nisekoi (it started off above average and leveled off slowly, but introducing more plot relevant characters actually pisses me off)
    Kuroko no Basket (might be higher because I love basketball, extremely grating to read weekly as of late)
    Shaman King Flowers (when I can, the art/story is starting to bug me)
    Usogui (started slow but I love the psychological stuff, doesn't seem like a big hit though so the scans are incredibly behind)
    Yuru Yuri (it's so cute and amusing)
    Himouto Umaru chan (the same)
    Sengoku (updates anywhere?)
    Watamote (the MC's mind is getting so dirty as of late)
    Pokemon Adventures (I still haven't seen scans wrapping up the HG/SS arc)
    Genkaku Picasso (I really need closure on this series, I read the first two volumes but I can't find the third anywhere, be it in stores or scans)
    Cromartie High School (I can't bring myself to catch up with it, as the arcs/content are extremely hit and miss, with miss being prevalent lately)
    Sun Ken Rock (just making myself finish this series)
    Shit:
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Fairy Tail

I don't know what I plan to read, as I'm switching gears to watch animes that aren't based on mangas. I would like to read something that doesn't have the usual shonen style MC or something with good comedy. I considered picking up Sket Dance or Beelzebub but what I heard about those series wasn't pretty so...
    Last edited by Gatekeeper; May 24th, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

3DS Friend Code 1693-2056-2994

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    I would like to read something that doesn't have the usual shonen style MC or something with good comedy.
    Let me suggest you Sengoku Youko. It's not the typical shounen and it's very well written and drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    Let me suggest you Sengoku Youko. It's not the typical shounen and it's very well written and drawn.
    That's one manga I've seen update from time to time. I was going to give it a try since it had "Sengoku" in the title but I wasn't really interested in demons. But, if you recommend it, I'll try it.

That's one manga I've seen update from time to time. I was going to give it a try since it had "Sengoku" in the title but I wasn't really interested in demons. But, if you recommend it, I'll try it.
    Just a note on that regard, but I'd highly recommend Hoshi no Samidare (aka Lucifer and the biscuit hammer) by the same author. It's a completed series, but it's also one of my all time favorites

I would like to read something that doesn't have the usual shonen style MC or something with good comedy.
    Most in your list seem to be shounen, so if you cant stand the MCs switch to seinen.
    Otherwise read SoulEater or Fullmetal Alchemist, if you havent (I somehow doubt that you have read all the stuff in you list, but not the two)

Ravages of Time (can someone tell me the release schedule of this series' raws?)
    Only Above Average, what the hell???
    Releases are two times a month. You can read the raw on dm5, usually around 1-3 weeks after MercurysBloods translations, though it should be possible to find them a bit earlier somewhere else (though I dont know where).

Pokemon Adventures (I still haven't seen scans wrapping up the HG/SS arc)
    The group translating them is essentially inactive for a year now, after having too much work IRL and being too disgusted at Mangafox and co, which is pretty sad because there were just 2 chapters left before the end of the arc. And looking at their site, these chapters are more or less finished for a long time, but who knows when they will be officially released.
    But you can read the last chapters of HG/SS here:
    http://goldenpidgeot.tumblr.com/post...canlation-only
    in not too horrible quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    Just a note on that regard, but I'd highly recommend Hoshi no Samidare (aka Lucifer and the biscuit hammer) by the same author. It's a completed series, but it's also one of my all time favorites
    Isn't it Wakusei no Samidare? I think I gave it a try but it didn't hook me right away. I'll give it another go.

Isn't it Wakusei no Samidare? I think I gave it a try but it didn't hook me right away. I'll give it another go.
    Yes. I'd recommend giving it another try. It takes a bit of time to really get its engine going, but once it does, it's fucking amazing

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_fire View Post
    Most in your list seem to be shounen, so if you cant stand the MCs switch to seinen.
    Otherwise read SoulEater or Fullmetal Alchemist, if you havent (I somehow doubt that you have read all the stuff in you list, but not the two)
    Only Above Average, what the hell???
    Releases are two times a month. You can read the raw on dm5, usually around 1-3 weeks after MercurysBloods translations, though it should be possible to find them a bit earlier somewhere else (though I dont know where).
    I only put stuff in my list that are still updating, I've read FMA and it's one of the manga that I highly rate. What's Souleater about? I've seen it around but is it the series with this face?

I considered making the transition to Seinen but I can't be caught in the family computer room reading about "mature subjects" now that its summer. Any good Seinen series you recommend? I'm beginning to move to non-mainstream shonen stuff though.

Ah, Ravages of time. I didn't like the initial set up and the art wasn't to my tastes but I soldiered through it and it's only above average for me mainly because the author is another shu wanker. I like how he set up the water mirror students and portrayed many warriors as different from their traditional counterparts but two notable examples, Lu Bu and Zhang Fei, I hate with a passion. The story is confusing at times and requires good background knowledge of the era to comprehend but apparently mine wasn't (yes, Dynasty Warriors is not enough but I did do some more research on the era after my initial interest in the Warriors games). Still can't get over that Diao Chan was that too.

Thanks for the info on the Pokemon Adventures and Ravages of Time.

I only put stuff in my list that are still updating, I've read FMA and it's one of the manga that I highly rate. What's Souleater about? I've seen it around but is it the series with this face?http://www.millenniumforums.com/imag...es/2v2vz2h.png I considered making the transition to Seinen but I can't be caught in the family computer room reading about "mature subjects" now that its summer. Any good Seinen series you recommend? I'm beginning to move to non-mainstream shonen stuff though. Ah, Ravages of time. I didn't like the initial set up and the art wasn't to my tastes but I soldiered through it and it's only above average for me mainly because the author is another shu wanker. I like how he set up the water mirror students and portrayed many warriors as different from their traditional counterparts but two notable examples, Lu Bu and Zhang Fei, I hate with a passion. The story is confusing at times and requires good background knowledge of the era to comprehend but apparently mine wasn't (yes, Dynasty Warriors is not enough but I did do some more research on the era after my initial interest in the Warriors games). Still can't get over that Diao Chan was that too. Thanks for the info on the Pokemon Adventures and Ravages of Time.
    How is he a Shu "wanker"? If anything i feel like he does pretty good at showing the faults with the Shu faction. Also why do you hate Lu Bu? To be honest RoT doesn't really feel like it's for you lol.

I only put stuff in my list that are still updating, I've read FMA and it's one of the manga that I highly rate. What's Souleater about? I've seen it around but is it the series with this face?http://www.millenniumforums.com/imag...es/2v2vz2h.png

I considered making the transition to Seinen but I can't be caught in the family computer room reading about "mature subjects" now that its summer. Any good Seinen series you recommend? I'm beginning to move to non-mainstream shonen stuff though.

Ah, Ravages of time. I didn't like the initial set up and the art wasn't to my tastes but I soldiered through it and it's only above average for me mainly because the author is another shu wanker. I like how he set up the water mirror students and portrayed many warriors as different from their traditional counterparts but two notable examples, Lu Bu and Zhang Fei, I hate with a passion. The story is confusing at times and requires good background knowledge of the era to comprehend but apparently mine wasn't (yes, Dynasty Warriors is not enough but I did do some more research on the era after my initial interest in the Warriors games). Still can't get over that Diao Chan was that too.

Thanks for the info on the Pokemon Adventures and Ravages of Time.
    Seinen is too wide. It will depend on what genre would you prefer (action, comedy, tragedy...).

Why not try Dorohedoro ? It's a great fantasy seinen very original and which will end quite soon.

As for me, Sunday means my fix of Seven Deadly Sins which is probably the shonen I enjoy the most at the moment. Oda is a great writer but his story has become to complex to provide the simple guilty pleasure of a battle shonen.

Quote Originally Posted by vorlianis View Post
    How is he a Shu "wanker"? If anything i feel like he does pretty good at showing the faults with the Shu faction. Also why do you hate Lu Bu? To be honest RoT doesn't really feel like it's for you lol.
    Hmm wanker might be too harsh a word but I hate people who follow the ROTK glorifying of Shu. One of the main characters is Zhao Yun who is seems unstoppable in combat, same with Ma Chao and Guan Yu/Zhang Fei, Liu Bei is depicted to look like Jesus (I've seen observations of people who said this and he does kinda look like it) and seems to act as such, and the major initial indicator of Shu favoritism: the replacement of Sun Jian at the Hu Lao Gate/Hua Xiong duels with the three brothers. I admit it's been awhile since I've read the early parts of the series but I don't see any major faults with the faction.

I hate Lu Bu because of traditional reasons, the author's take was kinda refreshing but the added intelligence only served to make him a Gary Stu. He just seemed too perfect. Yeah, I felt this manga wasn't for me but it's not bad enough to the point of dropping and it's the first Three Kingdoms comic I've read.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    Seinen is too wide. It will depend on what genre would you prefer (action, comedy, tragedy...).
    Action and comedy but how is Seinen comedy different from Shonen? Is it dirtier or something?

Action and comedy but how is Seinen comedy different from Shonen? Is it dirtier or something?
    I wouldn't make a general judgement about the differences between seinen and shounen in regards to comedy. There are different kinds of comedy and humour in both categories. Maybe you would like Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, or try Dorohedoro; kdom knows a lot about manga.

Hmm wanker might be too harsh a word but I hate people who follow the ROTK glorifying of Shu. One of the main characters is Zhao Yun who is seems unstoppable in combat, same with Ma Chao and Guan Yu/Zhang Fei, Liu Bei is depicted to look like Jesus (I've seen observations of people who said this and he does kinda look like it) and seems to act as such, and the major initial indicator of Shu favoritism: the replacement of Sun Jian at the Hu Lao Gate/Hua Xiong duels with the three brothers. I admit it's been awhile since I've read the early parts of the series but I don't see any major faults with the faction. I hate Lu Bu because of traditional reasons, the author's take was kinda refreshing but the added intelligence only served to make him a Gary Stu. He just seemed too perfect. Yeah, I felt this manga wasn't for me but it's not bad enough to the point of dropping and it's the first Three Kingdoms comic I've read. --- Update From New Post Merge --- Action and comedy but how is Seinen comedy different from Shonen? Is it dirtier or something?
    I can see what you're getting at there yeah, the undying warrior shtick got a little extreme sometimes, the centerpiece of the series is Zhao Yun and Sima Yi though so it makes sense Zhao gets a lot of screentime. And Shu certainly does have problems. I can't say i remember enough either to point out a lot of specifics but i remember Liu Bei being far from a saint, he is hailed as such by the common folk yes but a bunch of his decisions are overly rash and emotional. (one of the reasons that i'm looking forward to how his eventual end will come because of his rage over zhang and guan) he generally does a lot of stupid crap that pretty much endangered his faction. Also about Lu Bu i kinda liked how he simply had to be killed, because of the vicious cycle he makes of allying with someone and then killing his boss becoming a threat over and over again. Forgive my lack of spacing, since i'm unable to use it on here.
    Last edited by vorlianis; May 25th, 2014 at 08:25 PM.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Just finished the Breaker and Vinland Saga, and I'm currently shouldering Berserk ( 14 volumes or so to go )

And of course, the weekly updates of the big 3. Naruto, which totally gargle gonads right now ( and has been doing for years ), Bleach, which is an endless spectacle of ''random bad guy appears and beats up hero, but then hero 2 comes and beats up Bad guy'' and it has been like that for about a year now. And after Zaraki's fight, I see little excitement in Bleach atm. One Piece, of course and the only thing I hate about One Piece is the time I have to wait for every chapter.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information