+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

I've been reading it for a while but I don't think anyone has said a word about it:
    An outsider is better in the afterlife or Raise wa Tanin ga Ii for those who speaks Japanese is an extremely good title. It really stand out among the yakusa theme titles I have read so far.
    The art is unique and I'm pretty fond of it. We have a really strong willed female lead and a psycho male one. Will they marry at the end and have lot's of children ? It's a bit to early to say.

In delinquent shonen mangas, Tokyo Revenger is also quite good. There is a fantastic side since the hero is time skiping but it is also what makes it interesting since we see what our high school delinquents become once adult. It's published in the Shonen mag and is by the author of Shinjuku Swan so the art is top notch.

In the new titles which have picked my interest:
    https://mangadex.org/title/34327/blue-period about a high schooler who discover an interest in art
    https://mangadex.org/title/33670/skip-to-loafer about a high schooler from the countryside lost in Tokyo

And someone picked up 7 seeds again so I'm really happy

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Finished all the finished K-ON manga, Subarashii Sekai, and Hoshi no Koe. All of them were pretty short so quick reads. Started Rookies though which is pretty long but something I've wanted to read for a while (along with Rokudenashi Blues, though that isn't fully translated yet). Also want to read xxxHolic, which is also long, but most of the scans I can find for it aren't very good quality.

I just finnished everythuing that is published and translated from "out" by Makoto Mizuta. its a good delinquint manga with nice fights but also an interesting overal plot. worth to look into.
    https://www.mangatail.me/manga/out-makoto-mizuta

Just finished volume 7 of Rookies. There was a rule they invoked that I didn't even know about, that if the catcher doesn't catch the ball on a third strike the batter is allowed to run to first. If I'd seen that actually happen in a game I don't remember it. Also the first game took up more than 2 volumes. I wonder if that will be normal for all games in the series or if they'll skim over some games later on.

Got curious about School-live after watching the anime. Caught up with it just now and it looks like it's going to end soon.

I like the manga lot more and wish the anime had followed it more closely.

So, I've been "out of the manga loop" for quite some time now. I basically only follow One Piece, Golden Kamuy and, I guess, Dai Dark these days(or wathever the new Q Hayashida's manga's name is, even though it's only 2 chapters so far so saying I'm "following" it makes little sense). Occasionally I'll read My Hero Academia and One Punch Man, but not like super passionately (in fact, I drift in and out of My Hero Academia, so I usually have like 5-6 chapters buffered to read in one go). I don't even remember why I stopped reading Vinland Saga, which I really liked, but I guess I lost interest? Might come back to it some day. So. . .

. . .Obvious Request Time: Any manga recommendation? I guess the prerequisites would have to be:

1-You consider it to be, at the very very least, good. If it's great or even a must read, then all the better! Bottom line is, I don't need no run of the mill manga. If your general reaction to it is "I guess it's decent", "not a terrible time killer" or "it stars okish, then gets goodish, and then gets okish again", then. . .thanks, but no thanks.

2-Kind of "author oriented" in terms of style/presentation/narrative. Like Taiyo Matsumoto or Daisuke Igarashi level of style, you know, authors with a strong personality doing "different" stuff. This isn't a deal breaker, though; if you're in love with a "regular action shonen" but you truly believe that it's really worth it for x reasons (tons of fun, tons of personality, great characters, great action, etc. . .), yeah, I'd also like to give it a try.

A million thanks in advance!

Here my two cents (I like short stories):

Yoshida Motoi, The Day Before Summer (solid plot, really good narrative, great 'conventional' art, but really really great)

Fuyukawa Tomoko, Nostradamus Love

Takahashi Hiroshi, QP (the classic shounen fight school of life but gooooood!)

Kui Ryoko, Seven Little Sons of the Dragon (Collection of shor stories, some of them are really profound)

All Kaoru Mori series, but the best to me is A Bride's Story, a seinen that portraies customs and ways of love of the C XIX Middle East. Some characters are adorable to death!)

The retired mafia fearsome guy retires and goes the house way, cooking labor. Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband is a really on going funny collection of stories based on the idea. The same idea was the plot line of Kubonouchi Eisaku, Chocolate, with the difference that in Chocolate there's real violence and drama mixed with comedy and gooood romance.

Feng Shen Ji a manhua with solid plot, a really good MC, full colored series with nice 'realistic' art.

On the manhwa side, You In-Wan Shin Angio Onshi and Ha Il-Kwon, Annarasumanara

Tsuhara Yamusi, Five Color Boat (superb story, odd art stye)

Okadu Tatsuya, Doll (on the pervy-comedy corner)

Yamakawa Naoto, One More Cup of Coffee is a collection of stories about... coffee. Odd magnificent art style and really nice relaxed read.

Also around Coffee, Ashinano Hitoshi, Yokohama Shopping Blog (if you like Zen and spiritual themes you can have a nice trip here)

... And the best of the best of the best would be Satoshi's Sengoku Youko.

Not reading much manga nowadays here but you remind me I have a debt with Takemitsu Samurai.

Holy Shit, Ukimix. I KNEW you'd come to the rescue, but you went all out!

Love it, thanks a lot! Will check as much of these as possible.

I remember starting Sengoku Youko cause I liked Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (it's from the same guy, right? I'm not imagining things?) and I remember kinda liking it but leaving after a couple chapters, can't quite remember why. If you're praising it that much I guess I have no choice but to give it another go.

Oh, and absolutely. You owe it to yourself to read Takemitsu Samurai (or Zamurai). It's has just the right amount of contemplative, magical realism, folk and, yeah, samurai action. And it's hands down the best art Matsumoto's ever done. I think you'll like it!

Thanks again!

I would definitely recommend Promised Neverland. Starts out great and stays pretty consistently great, and it's anything but run-of-the-mill. I'm not totally sure what you mean by author-oriented. I mean, I guess it's not super stylized, but it's still very much its own thing. It's certainly not a typical action shonen and is more psychological, you know, if that's your jam. The best way I can describe it is a current-day Death Note.

Eyyyyy, Nobodyman beat me to it.
    Seconding Neverland.

One of my favourite ongoing manga titles right now.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

I'm not going to bis Ukimix post since we usually agree on the things we like, but I will still recommend Sengoku Youkou, which I consider close from perfection.

In current Jump, my preference goes to Kimetsu, since you search for author with a personal art style, it's definitely worth giving a try. You can also jump on the new title which is Spy family. it's only a matter of time before everybody reads it :-)

Otherwise, i still recommend the titles from my post at the top of this page which are all great

In the cute and heatwarming style, there is
    Sunny and Raine
    Nicola Traveling Around the Demon’s World
    Somali and the Forest Spirit

Still reading Rookies. And I continue to learn new things about baseball from it. Like foul bunts always count as a strike even if you already have 2 strikes. It's still good but I haven't read a manga as long as it in a while so it feels kind of endless even though I'm more than half through at this point.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; April 20th, 2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: The last game they played was at least 4 volumes long. They haven't actually played a real game yet though..

I like prison school manga and I read this manga at yo manga. This is one of the best manga because this manga story so nice.

Finally finished Rookies. The ending was kind of weird. They introduced some consequences but then basically just said that nobody cared enough to enforce them and they were dropped. The next long manga I want to read is Akagi, though I feel like I should learn more about mahjong than I currently know before starting. Will probably read a few shorter manga before starting that though. Started reading Gunsmith Cats a little before I finished Rookies. I like it a lot so far. Will probably go on a Go Nagai binge next since most of his popular stuff (Devilman, Getter, Mazinger) is fairly short.

I finished Takemitsu Zamurai. Simply love it, from the start to the end! It's a shame there's no more scans of Eifuju Issei works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    I started up Golden Kamuy and i'm loving the manga so far.
    I didn't actually know it was this violent but damn if Man Gets Face Torn Off By Bear And Then Kills Bear Anyway isn't some cool shit
    I am updating it at : https://365manga.net/
    A Love Contract with the Devil See if you find something interesting ...

Shimeji Simulation (new manga by Girls' Last Tour mangaka) is extremely amazing so far. I just started it like 30 minutes ago. I wanted to read it but am generally not a slice of life person but it's got perfect surreal humor and surrealism in general.
    Hidden:

Here we are, Windy summer! Oddball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Shimeji Simulation (new manga by Girls' Last Tour mangaka) is extremely amazing so far. I just started it like 30 minutes ago. I wanted to read it but am generally not a slice of life person but it's got perfect surreal humor and surrealism in general.
    That looks pretty fun. I've heard nothing but good things about Girls Last Tour, so I can imagine this manga being good as well.

So far, I'm enjoying Yomawarai Sensei, despite it being depressing at times, but I love highly detailed manga. Also liking Shin Kurosawa Seikyou Densetsu. The first season of Kurosawa was great, so I'm really looking forward this this one.

Also reading With the Light. I couldn't find scans for the series online, so I had to request the first two volumes at my local library. Sadly, that's all that was available. At first, I thought the manga was just going to be about a mother and her autistic son against the world, but boy am I glad to have given it a fair chance anyway. Sometimes I like stories that can be both realistic and carefully touch on sensitive topics such as autism (I'm an autist too).

Credit to PendulumPisces for avatar.
    MFC | MAL

I plan to begin again Living with one leg. The basic premisa is gorgeous: a vagabond zamurai (a popular archetip)... who only has one leg (haha!!!) So this is the story of a one legged swordsman, a revenge to be taken and a young woman in need of protection. The series is drawn and writen by Nastycat (Trash). Solid storytelling and nice art. There were no free scans up to ch 20 or so, but now the editor who licensed it decided to upload all the chapters to mangadex (lucky me!)

Quote Originally Posted by mangaanime0007 View Post
    I am reading After the Rain manga.This is one of the best manga. This manga story is so nice. I prefer you read this manga.
    I read it..it's pretty good
    A Love Contract with the Devil See if you find something interesting ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information