+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

I had read Wandering Emanon vol 1. But it was dropped by the scanlator. Recently a different group take it and I'm starting again with the vol 2. The art is just amazing, but the pace is not the best. I would call it intimist.
    Last edited by Ukimix; May 28th, 2014 at 07:18 PM.

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

I'm kind of up for reading a sports manga any recommendations?
    I prefer ones with great characters, if the manga is too focused on the sports aspect it's hard for me to get invested.

For example Ippo is that way where an insane amount of chapters is spend on the matches(although Ippo at least did a decent job of building it's opponents).
    I kind of liked reading Baby Steps for a while(read until the second trip to the US) but yeah the matches are starting to drag on in this one and sadly none of the opponents are interesting enough to read through them.

I'm almost sure that Eyeshield 21 is my favorite sports series despite the awkward racial commentary. Chihayafuru, Teppuu and Hikaru no Go are other titles I enjoyed quite a bit. I can't seem to get into Kuroko nor Haikyuu, is there anything else good out there? Is Area no Kishi any good?
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; May 29th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.

Why don't you try Real ? It is really focused on the characters rather than the matches (especially in the last volumes). So if you can bear a serie with only 1 volume a year it should be perfect.
    Also there is no Adachi in your list.
    And there is Ping Pong which has an anime adaptation at the moment but it's quite short

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I prefer ones with great characters, if the manga is too focused on the sports aspect it's hard for me to get invested.

For example Ippo is that way where an insane amount of chapters is spend on the matches(although Ippo at least did a decent job of building it's opponents).
    I kind of liked reading Baby Steps for a while(read until the second trip to the US) but yeah the matches are starting to drag on in this one and sadly none of the opponents are interesting enough to read through them.

I'm almost sure that Eyeshield 21 is my favorite sports series despite the awkward racial commentary. Chihayafuru, Teppuu and Hikaru no Go are other titles I enjoyed quite a bit. I can't seem to get into Kuroko nor Haikyuu, is there anything else good out there? Is Area no Kishi any good?
    Sports are not my cup of tea manga, but maybe this could help. I haven't read it, but I guess Kokuo no Hito is a manga that falls in the kind of manga you are asking for: more focused in the character than in the games. I'm reading Innocent by the same author, and it's simple amazing; if you like the realistic art his art is just spectacular. He is great storyteller, with a deep development of the psychology of his characters (tho that could vary from one series to another).

Also I'd support kdom suggestion about trying one of Adashi. I'm reading Itsumo Misura by Adashi, and it's nice reading; his humour is nice and amusing.
    Last edited by Ukimix; May 30th, 2014 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks I've decided to give Itsomo Misura a shot.

I'm almost sure that Eyeshield 21 is my favorite sports series despite the awkward racial commentary
    . Chihayafuru, Teppuu and Hikaru no Go are other titles I enjoyed quite a bit. I can't seem to get into Kuroko nor Haikyuu, is there anything else good out there? Is Area no Kishi any good?
    ?

Are you talking about the "Black guys have superior muscles" and "Japanese are inferior to americans" thing in Eyeshield 21.
    The first one is kind of a scientific fact (not in the way i described it), the second one is kind of a common cliché for sports Manga. Since Japan is not really outstanding at any sport, the main char is always treated like an underdog because of his nationality.
    At least HnIppo and Captain Tsubasa have the same kind of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    ?

Are you talking about the "Black guys have superior muscles" and "Japanese are inferior to americans" thing in Eyeshield 21.
    The first one is kind of a scientific fact (not in the way i described it), the second one is kind of a common cliché for sports Manga. Since Japan is not really outstanding at any sport, the main char is always treated like an underdog because of his nationality.
    At least HnIppo and Captain Tsubasa have the same kind of speech.
    Yes that among other things, and it's not the fact that this is raised as a story point but how it's treated within the story which makes it awkward. I don't read Tsubasa but I read Ippo until right before them preparing for the world stage and that manga isn't as awkward regarding the issue.

Yes that among other things, and it's not the fact that this is raised as a story point but how it's treated within the story which makes it awkward. I don't read Tsubasa but I read Ippo until right before them preparing for the world stage and that manga isn't as awkward regarding the issue.
    I´ve read it 4 years ago, so you may be right about that and i just don´t remember.
    And i guess in Ippo and Tsubasa they don´t downgrade the Japanese, they simply talk wonders about the opponents (damn Mexicans in Ippo).

Finished Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Genkaku Picasso, and caught up with Sengoku Youko. The first was an above average read, not a typical shonen and its greatest strength was the character development but something about it kept me from really liking it. Having read the ending of Genkaku Picasso, it was so emotional that I wanted to cry. I'd recommend this manga, especially to people like me who tire of the mainstream battle shonen mangas. Sengoku Youko started off slow, but I really got into it once part one was over and they changed up the main cast. The shogun was an amazing character and it has been sometime since I took such a liking to a character.

I plan to get into Durarara by reading the manga but I think its original source material was light novel/anime? I want to check out Vinland Saga but I'm having doubts to whether or not I'll become interested in it.

3DS Friend Code 1693-2056-2994

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Try Ashita no Joe .

Edit : I second Real . It's a damn great manga though sports is like a sub-genre and there are no long matches or anything . It's more focused on Three characters and their development . It's also made by the Author of Slam Dunk and Vagabond.
    Last edited by ZoroFTW9; June 3rd, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    Finished Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Genkaku Picasso, and caught up with Sengoku Youko. The first was an above average read, not a typical shonen and its greatest strength was the character development but something about it kept me from really liking it. Having read the ending of Genkaku Picasso, it was so emotional that I wanted to cry. I'd recommend this manga, especially to people like me who tire of the mainstream battle shonen mangas. Sengoku Youko started off slow, but I really got into it once part one was over and they changed up the main cast. The shogun was an amazing character and it has been sometime since I took such a liking to a character.

I plan to get into Durarara by reading the manga but I think its original source material was light novel/anime? I want to check out Vinland Saga but I'm having doubts to whether or not I'll become interested in it.
    Yes the shogun is - a m a z i n g ! !

Btw, where did you read Genkaku Picasso?

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    Yes the shogun is - a m a z i n g ! !

Btw, where did you read Genkaku Picasso?
    Spoiler:
    I was so glad he lived on as Senya's sword

I read the first two volumes of Genkaku Picasso in a bookstore and downloaded the last volume from a link an AP member gave me in a PM. Would you like me to send you the link?

Spoiler:
    I was so glad he lived on as Senya's sword

I read the first two volumes of Genkaku Picasso in a bookstore and downloaded the last volume from a link an AP member gave me in a PM. Would you like me to send you the link?
    You comment made me read the summary, and I found it interesting. But unfortunately there is no scanalation beyond chapter 4 or 5 and where I live there's no way to get printed volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    You comment made me read the summary, and I found it interesting. But unfortunately there is no scanalation beyond chapter 4 or 5 and where I live there's no way to get printed volumes.
    If you want, you can download it from this link (it has all three volumes) and read it from your computer. I don't know how legal this is but scanlations are a gray area too so... (Just click on "G" under the "Mega" heading if you want to download from the link)
    http://kickthekitty.blogspot.com.es/...dom-scans.html

If you want, you can download it from this link (it has all three volumes) and read it from your computer. I don't know how legal this is but scanlations are a gray area too so... (Just click on "G" under the "Mega" heading if you want to download from the link)
    http://kickthekitty.blogspot.com.es/...dom-scans.html
    Oh, 16 characters of thanks

Is someone reading Is Rieroukan Still Alive? ? The art is really nice, and, how could I say it, the author enjoys drawing woman body a lot... Still the mix of seinen, comedy, slice of life and some magical element has great potential. I hope it won't go too much on the fanservice. The last chapter was
    Spoiler:

Still waiting for the story to grow.

I keep putting off Nausicaa.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    I keep putting off Nausicaa.
    Me too. I heard the story is top notch but the art style just throws me off. Normally, that wouldn't affect me but maybe it's because it's too "retro"

Oyasumi Punpun is probably the best manga I ever read.

These are the series which I'm currently reading:

Shounen Jump: Kochikame, One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Toriko, Kuroko no Basket, Nisekoi, Haikyuu!!, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Shokugeki no Souma, World Trigger, Soul Catcher(S), Illegal Rare, iShoujo, Stealth Symphony, Hinomaru Zumou

Jump SQ: Embalming, Claymore, Tegami Bachi, Shin Tennis no Oujisama, Ao no Exorcist, D.Gray-man, To Love-Ru Darkness, Gate 7, 1/11 Juuichi Bun no Ichi, Teiichi no Kuni, Kono Oto Tomare!, Owari no Seraph, Gamma, Te to Kuchi, Taishou Roman Oni-san Yameteee!!, Shinai Naru Koroshiya-sama, Sousei no Onmyouji, Second Brain, Gakumon!, Mu and I, Kanshikan Tsunemori Akane

Young Jump: Real, Zetman, Liar Game, Kingdom, Usogui, 81 Diver, Beshari Gurashi, Destroy and Revolution, Nejimaki Kagyuu, Tokyo Ghoul, Minamoto-kun Monogatari, Terra Formars, Innocent, Kamen Teacher Black, Kakuriyo Monogatari, Gunjou Senki, Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou, Hamatora, Boku Girl, Yokohama-sen Doppelgänger, Barcelona no Taiyou, Youkai Shoujo, Kenkouki, Mogusa-san, Riku-dou

Others: Peace Maker, Gingitsune, Jojolion, Choukakou, Biorg Trinity, Minikui Kaeru no Ko, Steins;Gate Mugen Enten no Arc Light, Q, Non Non Biyori, One Punch-man, Nanatsu no Taizai, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R, Koe no Katachi, Yowamushi Pedal, Kekkai Sensen
    Last edited by Kaizou 10; June 4th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information