+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Started reading Yakitate Japan but then it got a bit too stupid for me, a shame kind of liked how it started out.

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Well I finally got round to reading Akame ga kill and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I went in with low expectations because I hadn't really heard many positive things about the series but I was very pleasantly surprised. The author sure isn't afraid to kill of characters and it's got a nice pace to it, but it is kind of weird how much of a side character Akame ends up being. It feels like the author had some bigger plans for her but ditched them part way through or at least delayed them. I'm looking forward to the anime this summer though the colour schemes for the characters are a bit jarring.

I read the series written by Okado Tatsuya. I found a little gem in Tuesday, 9PM with a lovely mixture of perversion and sweetness. Doll is a great comedy aimed most likely to adult audience. To Remember Summer was not that good as the other ones, but like a pic of the life of a teenager in some summer that didn't go anywhere. The art is a point for this author.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    Well I finally got round to reading Akame ga kill and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I went in with low expectations because I hadn't really heard many positive things about the series but I was very pleasantly surprised. The author sure isn't afraid to kill of characters and it's got a nice pace to it, but it is kind of weird how much of a side character Akame ends up being. It feels like the author had some bigger plans for her but ditched them part way through or at least delayed them. I'm looking forward to the anime this summer though the colour schemes for the characters are a bit jarring.
    Yea kill off the one-dimensional characters that people will neither give a shit about or even remember 1 second after their deaths .
    Last edited by RevolverOcelot; June 23rd, 2014 at 08:59 PM.

Actively following new releases

One Piece
    Seven Deadly Sins
    Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Part 8:Jojolion
    Ace of Diamond

Semi-follow but have a habit to fall behind

Attack on Titan
    Nisekoi
    Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
    Claymore
    Coppelion
    Tough
    Berserk
    Toriko
    Onepunch-Man

Dropped but will likely finish someday

Naruto
    Bleach
    Fairy Tail
    Zetman

Big fan of the top 4 hence actively following. Haven't really been branching out much this year, got into Seven Deadly Sins, OnePunch-Man, Attack on Titan and Ace of Diamond at the beginning of the year but really only stuck with this lineup for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverOcelot View Post
    Yea kill off the one-dimensional characters that people will neither give a shit about or even remember 1 second after their deaths .
    Eh for me these characters never had to be deep, give them a flashback and some enjoyable character quirks and I'll still miss them.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    Eh for me these characters never had to be deep, give them a flashback and some enjoyable character quirks and I'll still miss them.
    They don't need to be deep in any way. It just that they need to have interesting personality and back story that actually explores and explains their character but here the backstories are literally shoved down your throat to make you feel sad for them when they die . These characters are hardly anything worth giving a damn about and are extremely shallow stereotype characters from harem / high school romance manga . Not to mention how their generic deaths are used as shock value and used as plot device to move the plot forward .

https://kolektakon.com/ Louis-1988's Avatar

Add Hajime no Ippo to my 'plan to read' list!

I am currently reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure part 5, and it is amazing. Some of the titles I plan to read soon are Vinland Saga, Magi, Bakuman, and many others.

Are there any good fantasy/sci-fi light novels out there? I really enjoyed the Baccano anime so thats an obvious series I plan on checking out and Vampire Hunter D sounds really cool in my opinion. Actually what are some novels you would recommend from Japan in general? Any idea if there's anything similar to LOTR Or A Song of Ice and Fire (only similarities I want is a rich world, with cool characters and awesome battles)?

Discovered Stowaway LocomotiveB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SSJLuffy View Post
    Are there any good fantasy/sci-fi light novels out there? I really enjoyed the Baccano anime so thats an obvious series I plan on checking out and Vampire Hunter D sounds really cool in my opinion. Actually what are some novels you would recommend from Japan in general? Any idea if there's anything similar to LOTR Or A Song of Ice and Fire (only similarities I want is a rich world, with cool characters and awesome battles)?
    How about Trinity Blood? Oh wait, you mean light novels... Try Kino no Tabi. It's certainly very thought provoking. Or Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu. The translations are pretty good and not that hard to follow. You can find them on baka-tsuki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    Something Something Titties. Something Something Ass Shot.

Fairy Tail.

With the webtoons taking the western web I just read A Story of Hope for the Bullied and just... wow! A very touching short story and a nice read for bullied people.

Liar Game. I really like it. The story and the romance is really cute between them <3

I'm reading Hellper. Such a nice manhwa, the art is fantastic and the story too. Very good stuff.

Got back up to date with Toriko and I've started Hunter x Hunter.

Probably going to move onto Assassination Classroom after that, or catch up on Attack on Titan.
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

I'm currently reading History's strongest disciple Kenichi. I'm enjoying it so far even though the series has a little bit too much fanservice.

Reading the chapters of Berserk that were missing from Batoto. I don't know what to pick up after this, I'd like to try to get back into HSDK or check out Skip Beat based on the anime/mange recommendation thread.

3DS Friend Code 1693-2056-2994

Finished catching up with Barakamon and maaaaan!

Never have I related so much to a male protagonist. He's like super cynical and may come off as a jerk to people he meets, but the additional layers he gets when the people of the island interacts with him is a great mix of heartfelt and fucking adorable! I just love this guy, and everyone he meets. It also helps that the scanlations keep the islander-speak and it really sort of adds to the whole experience. The secondary main character is also adorable as heck! Naru has a bit of Yotsuba in her, but there's a ton of tomboyish aspects that makes her pretty damned badass in numerous situations. And it's mostly because she's just that much adapted to the environment of the island. Hopefiully this manga stays good, because 3 volumes down and it's already potentially in my top 5.

So yeah. I suggest it if you are into slice of life stuff with excellent and adorable characterization. This reminds me to pick back up Silver Spoon. I started reading it, but I unno... I'm finding it very difficult to get into. The characters I feel talk about about thier job like it's exposition too much, and it kinda makes me crave some actual character driven moments outside of the obligatory "reaction faces" to visual jokes or gags. I'll try to make it to atleast chapter 30.

Just began reading Vinland Saga for the third time and I really wonder what made me stop the first 2 times. Especially as a person having a massive hard on for everything that is norse. This series is simply amazing. The amount of character the creator captures in every single panel is just mind boggling. Some of the scenes are really disturbing and have me litterally pissed off. But I guess it's because I'm so immersed.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    Reading the chapters of Berserk that were missing from Batoto. I don't know what to pick up after this, I'd like to try to get back into HSDK or check out Skip Beat based on the anime/mange recommendation thread.
    The thing I do when I'm done reading Berserk is read it again. That way it is impossible for me to forget anything before the next chapter comes out. Which may take a couple of years, so be paced and have other things to read while at it :D

Quote Originally Posted by DemetriusCapone View Post
    Just began reading Vinland Saga for the third time and I really wonder what made me stop the first 2 times. Especially as a person having a massive hard on for everything that is norse. This series is simply amazing. The amount of character the creator captures in every single panel is just mind boggling. Some of the scenes are really disturbing and have me litterally pissed off. But I guess it's because I'm so immersed.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The thing I do when I'm done reading Berserk is read it again. That way it is impossible for me to forget anything before the next chapter comes out. Which may take a couple of years, so be paced and have other things to read while at it :D
    Do you recommend Vinland Saga? I've heard it's good but what's keeping me from reading it is the subject; not a big fan of European stuff.

I'm not sure if I want to read Berserk again. It took me the longest time to realize how good it was and looking back on the story as a whole, I like it but it's not something I would like to read all over again.

3DS Friend Code 1693-2056-2994

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information