+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Default What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

The amount of series (manga/mahwa/mahua) the members are reading should be, no doubt, greater than the amount of threads we have in the subsection for other mangas than OP. And I don't see a reason to create a thread for each manga one read. Even so, sometimes you would like to comment on a series for which there is no thread here, and if possible to have some feedback or have a short discussion about it with somebody else. This is the case specially when the series is already complete. Then, this would be the purpose of this thread.

So, I begin with these two:

I just began Castle of Dragon. I find it very interesting due to the magical world unfolded by the author. I don't like much the art, tho the author uses it wisely to narrate the events of the protagonists. But the plot is crazy. The fantastic events reminded me of Spirited Away.

I just read Hansel and Gretel, a collection of short stories, written by the great Otomo Katsuhiro. I see it doesn't have high ratings in mangaupdates, but I agree it should be due to the last story which maybe can be considered blasphemy by Christian western readers. I'm not Christian, but I respect other's believes. Even so, I didn't find it wrong in any sense. And the art is just great, as usual with this author.

Maybe the mods likes the thread and can stickied. Also if it's a good idea, the respective thread for the anime can be created in this subsection.
    Last edited by Ukimix; May 20th, 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

I follow One Piece, Bleach and Naruto weekly.
    Letting Jojolion and Berserk gather a lot of chapters before catching up from where I left them. The same for Magi, but not on purpose. Put Dorohedoro on hold until it's finished.
    Hunter x Hunter and Saint Seiya: Next Dimension I read whenever their authors decide to break one of the many hiatuses.

Nowadays I avoid starting ongoing series and go only for what was finished already. I don't have any series in mind to start reading soon, though, but lately I am feeling an urge to reread Shin Angyo Onshi (one of my all time favorites).

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach are currently the weekly norms.

I've been reading/buying volumes of other series though, including Yotsuba&!, Soul Eater (finished story itself), Soul Eater Not!, Attack on Titan, and Magi....I follow these series at irregular intervals, and I'm know I'm super behind them all.

(I've read and collected the entirety of Azumanga Daioh, Bakuman, and Full Metal Alchemist. Also finished Princess Resurrection but thanks to the distribution problems, only 7 volumes were translated.....;_;)

As for series I've always wanted to partake in....mm, Assassination Classroom, Hunter X Hunter, and Berserk.

Right now my weekly reads are One Piece, Toriko, Naruto, Bleach, World Trigger, Stealth Symphony, Gintama, Shokugeki no Soma, Magi, Kingdom, Seven Deadly Sins, UQ Holder, As the god wills - The second series, All You Need is Kill and maybe a few more I'm forgetting

Monthly I'm currently reading Attack on Titan on a regular basis

Series I read whenever they're released include Silver Spoon, Assassination Classroom, Baby Steps, Haikyuu, Spirit Circle, Hunter X Hunter, One Punch man, Berserk, Adventures of Sinbad (the Magi spinoff), The Gamer, Tower of God, and Seraph of the end whenever it comes out in English WSJ (It'll transition to monthly eventually),

Series I read on an on and off basis due to one reason or another include vinland saga, Space Brothers and the heroic legend of Arslan

Also Currently in the middle of buying and reading Saint Seiya volumes digitally, though I haven't gotten any in a while

Also recently caught up to Karakuri Circus and enjoyed that, so I'll probably be following that

Of these series, I enjoy all of them to some degree except Bleach, Naruto and Seraph of the End (This one I don't hate, but I pretty much only read it because it's in English Shonen Jump)

I've finished a ton more series besides those listed. As for ones I want to get into, I'll probably get back in Jojolion someday, but for the most part there aren't any classic or current series I know of that I feel super compelled to read. I usually just pick up new series if I hear something good about them, or occasionally I just try out the new jump series, especially those running in the English Edition

I try to read as fast as they come out this manga(The list is also ordered by current liking and magazine):
    SHOUNEN

Weekly
    --- Weekly Shonen Jump
    - One Piece
    - Haikyuu
    - Shokugeki no Soma ​
    - Stealth Symphony(Yeah, I know it will be cancelled soon! but I'm enjoying it!)
    - Toriko
    - World Trigger
    - Kuroko no Basket
    - Beelzebub Side Story
    - Naruto ​
    - Bleach
    --- Weekly Shonen Magazine
    - Koe no Katachi
    - Nanatsu no Taizai
    - Fuuka
    - Fairy Tail (I tried to wait some time to read in bulk because it is so bad, but I just can't stop, the same happens to Naruto and Bleach. They are my Guilty Pleasure)
    --- Weekly Shonen Sunday
    - Magi
    - Birdmen (In weekly magazine but it comes like monthly or something similar)

Monthly
    --- Bessatsu Shonen Magazine
    - Shingeki no kyojin(Attack on Titans)
    - The Heroic Legend of Arslan ​
    --- Gangan(first and third series are from "Joker", the second is from "Online")
    - Akame Ga Kill
    - Watashi ga Motenai(Watamote)
    - Watashi ga motonai(Watamate)
    --- Jump Square
    - Claymore
    - Sousei no Onmyouji

SEINEN

Weekly
    --- Weekly Young Jump
    - Kingdom
    - One Punch-Man
    - All you need is Kill
    - Tokyo Ghoul
    - Zetman (Is in a weekly magazine but has a schedule that seems monthly)
    --- Weekly Young Magazine
    - GTO Paradise Lost
    - Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
    --- Young King
    - Sun Ken Rock
    --- Evening
    - Inu Yashiki

Monthly
    --- Young Animal
    - Berserk
    --- Fellows

- Otoyomegatari
    - Sakamoto desu ga?
    --- Afternoon
    - Vinland Saga
    --- Comic Ryu
    - Wandering Emanon

Shoujo

Semi-Monthly
    --- Margaret
    - Ore Monogatari
    --- Ribon
    - Chibi Maruko-chan

Monthly
    ---Aria
    - Shingeki no Kyojin: A Choice With No Regrets

Josei
    (I not catch up with any manga of this demographic, but soon or later I will start reading 7Seeds, Kuragehime(Jellyfish Princess), and others titles)

Kodomo
    (I'm right now, slowly, catching up with Pokemon Adventures!)

Then I have a lot of other manga that I don't read for a given time so I can read in bulk(will only put the Shonen Weekly Series to not make this post to long XP):

Shonen
    --- Weekly Shonen Jump
    (Good Reasons: Series is Awesome and reading in bulk is even more enjoyable)
    - Assassination Classroom
    (Neutral Reasons: The scanlators don't translate this. Waiting Months to read just a chapter doesn't do for me!)
    - cross manage
    - Soul Catcher(s)
    (Bad Reasons: Series is good, but reading per week is not doing for me, to much going no where and only showing the girls doing something random. In bulk is a lot of times more enjoyable)
    - Nisekoi
    --- Weekly Shonen Sunday
    - History Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    - Silver Spoon
    (Neurtral Reasons: The scanlators don't translate this. Waiting Months to read just a chapter doesn't do for me!)
    - Kokushi Musou
    --- Weekly Shonen Magazine

- Yamada and the 7 witches
    --- Ura Sunday

- Mob Psycho 100

Well I'm reading a bunch of ongoing series weekly/monthly/whenever they get scanlated but I've spent most of last week tearing through Baby steps. I was on a sports manga high after catching up with All rounder Meguru and Haikyu! and I'd heard some good things about Baby Steps after watching a couple of episodes of the new anime.

I'm really loving it so far because it feels quite different from other sports series. Being a solo sport there isn't the usual focus on team work or have the standard discord between the teammates scenarios which is surprisingly really refreshing. It's also really nice how the main goal of the MC isn't the typical 'we'll work hard to get to the Interhigh and create precious memories with our sempai~' but instead he and many of the other main rivals are all aiming to go pro so the high level play and dedication to the sport feel really believable.
    Spoiler:
    The romance is pretty well done as well, there's not really any will they won't they, annoying love triangles or "I'll confess when I'm the best in the world~" but instead they're dating at the point I'm at in the manga and they have some pretty enjoyable chemistry.

It also helps that the author seems to have a good understanding of tennis and seems to know what he's talking about so the matches are really entertaining. There are some really high tension scenarios and matches but they are all still pretty grounded in reality so you don't get ridiculously stupid situations like this:
    Spoiler:

Tl;Dr Baby steps is a pretty cool sports series. Also almost entirely unrelated but people should read Teppu.
    Last edited by Black Leg; May 20th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigivel View Post
    - Inu Yashiki
    My list is also big one (near than 60 series with different pace, and some on hold). Instead of posting it, I like to ask Bigivel how did you find Inu Yashiki? I know English scanlation is in ch 2, but Spanish is in ch 6 (both by mangatopia). I have high expectations on that series. It's mindblowing with an unusual protagonist, as that geezer.
    Last edited by Ukimix; May 22nd, 2014 at 06:59 PM.

Finally an opportunity to speak up for some other mangas without creating a special thread.
    Beside my major series like OP, AoT, Claymore, Vinland Saga and Otomegatari I follow:

Gokicha (a cute cockroach-story (yes, thats right))

Suicide Island (Seinen as fuck)

Spotted Flower (from Shimoku Kio)

The Legendary Musings of Professor Munakata (very entertaining)

Okobore Hime to Enkaku no Kishi (I'm not really into Shoujo but I like this)

and I recently discovered Hive (giant insects take over the world)

and many many more like elDLIFE or Ookami no Kuchi: Wolfsmund...

The Internet is a great place

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Finally an opportunity to speak up for some other mangas without creating a special thread.
    Beside my major series like OP, AoT, Claymore, Vinland Saga and Otomegatari I follow:

Gokicha (a cute cockroach-story (yes, thats right))

Suicide Island (Seinen as fuck)

Spotted Flower (from Shimoku Kio)

The Legendary Musings of Professor Munakata (very entertaining)

Okobore Hime to Enkaku no Kishi (I'm not really into Shoujo but I like this)

and I recently discovered Hive (giant insects take over the world)

and many many more like elDLIFE or Ookami no Kuchi: Wolfsmund...

The Internet is a great place
    I'm also reading Hive. Creeeeeeeeppy creeppy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    I'm also reading Hive. Creeeeeeeeppy creeppy...
    Hehe, I knew what was coming the moment I read wasps, cause I know how they feed their little ones in real life.
    Still I kept reading... very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    Well I'm reading a bunch of ongoing series weekly/monthly/whenever they get scanlated but I've spent most of last week tearing through Baby steps. I was on a sports manga high after catching up with All rounder Meguru and Haikyu! and I'd heard some good things about Baby Steps after watching a couple of episodes of the new anime.

I'm really loving it so far because it feels quite different from other sports series. Being a solo sport there isn't the usual focus on team work or have the standard discord between the teammates scenarios which is surprisingly really refreshing. It's also really nice how the main goal of the MC isn't the typical 'we'll work hard to get to the Interhigh and create precious memories with our sempai~' but instead he and many of the other main rivals are all aiming to go pro so the high level play and dedication to the sport feel really believable. The romance is pretty well done as well, there's not really any will they won't they, annoying love triangles or "I'll confess when I'm the best in the world~" but instead they're dating at the point I'm at in the manga and they have some pretty enjoyable chemistry.

It also helps that the author seems to have a good understanding of tennis and seems to know what he's talking about so the matches are really entertaining. There are some really high tension scenarios and matches but they are all still pretty grounded in reality so you don't get ridiculously stupid situations like this:
    Spoiler:

Tl;Dr Baby steps is a pretty cool sports series. Also almost entirely unrelated but people should read Teppu.
    Yeah, I also caught up to Baby Steps recently, and I'll second the opinion that it's really good

Nothing much. One Piece is the obvious.

I follow Magi, tho I fell a bit behind. I'm just waiting for the flashback to be over because I'm dying for another adventure with Alladin, Alibaba and Mor.
    Aside that, it's Yotsuba and Nichijou whenever someone uploads the chapters.

I'm planning on reading Silver Spoon eventually, and maybe catch up with Magic Circle(by the author of Hoshi no Samidare) after it reaches what I think is the halfway point. Also Pokemon Adventures. That latter has been painful because the scans are awful and mismashed with directional changes from the Viz version.

Let's see here...

Series I'm Caught Up With and Actively Follow

One Piece
    All You Need is Kill
    Berserk
    Attack on Titan
    Toriko (Just caught up today)
    Stealth Symphony
    Bleach
    Naruto
    Fairy Tail
    Hunter x Hunter

Series I'm Catching Up On

Magi (131) [Top priority right now]
    Assassination Classroom (29)
    One-Punch Man (6)
    Hajime no Ippo (551)
    Blue Exorcist (22)
    Nisekoi (45)
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (154)
    Kingdom (2)
    Naoki Urasawa's Monster (90)
    Hikaru no Go (64)
    Slam Dunk (207)
    20th Century Boys (11)

Series I Only Follow Through Physical Releases

Vagabond
    Vinland Saga

I tend to start a bunch of stuff at once then leave them after reading a couple chapters to focus more on others, but for the most part I enjoy all the manga I read. I usually just stop reading stuff I don't like but all of them have some merit of entertainment; even if that sometimes just involves ragging on about why it sucks.

My favorites that I actively follow are One Piece, Berserk and Hunter x Hunter (once it returns). Among ones that I am catching up on Magi, JoJo and Slam Dunk are my top priority. With Vagabond I enjoy getting the Vizbigs as I follow it, which is enough to keep up with my pace, plus the story is one that I'd rather read in volume format than one chapter per week/month. With Vinland Saga, considering I have so much other stuff on my plate, the 2 in 1 hardbacks have been coming at a satisfying pace that I just decided to follow it that way.

I follow physical releases in general as a way to keep track of the series I read and also to forcibly pace myself because the amount of manga I want to catch up on is tremendous so it's just easier to wait every 2-3 months for the releases of some series so that I'm not as easily overwhelmed. I plan on following Terra Formars this way once it starts releasing in July.
    Last edited by Mickamott; May 20th, 2014 at 03:59 PM.

3DS: 1993-7490-6080 NNID: Mickamott PSN: Mickamott

My list is also big one (near than 60 series with different pace, and some on hold). Instead of posting it, I like to ask Bigivel how did you find Inu Yashiki? I know English scanlation is in ch 2, but Spanish is in ch 6 (both by mangatopia). I have high expectations on that series. It's mindblowing with an usual protagonist, as that geezer.
    I found news in the net about the next work of the author of Gantz! That is, Inu Yashiki!
    I read it in Spanish and English when they come!

Normally OKU Hiroya works are super interesting and grab the attention of the reader(Gantz and Hen are two big examples of this), but he is terrible at endings, as was seen in Gantz and Hen last arcs. I don't know what is his problem, does he looses motivation? He doesn't know how to do them? Well even knowing how he is I will follow his works and certainly I will not be disappointed again when I see the terrible endings of his next works. For Inu Yashiki, if it takes as many time as Gantz there is still some years with an interesting and good story.
    I'm really loving the concept of Inu Yashiki, and Cyborg old men in a boring and normal society is super cool.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I'm really loving it so far because it feels quite different from other sports series. Being a solo sport there isn't the usual focus on team work or have the standard discord between the teammates scenarios which is surprisingly really refreshing. It's also really nice how the main goal of the MC isn't the typical 'we'll work hard to get to the Interhigh and create precious memories with our sempai~' but instead he and many of the other main rivals are all aiming to go pro so the high level play and dedication to the sport feel really believable. The romance is pretty well done as well, there's not really any will they won't they, annoying love triangles or "I'll confess when I'm the best in the world~" but instead they're dating at the point I'm at in the manga and they have some pretty enjoyable chemistry.

Spoiler:

Two things.

- How is going pro is more believable than "we'll work hard to get to the Interhigh and create precious memories with our senpais"? Between doing something in the current main competition you're participating and between being able to do a living of the sport that you're playing, the most grounded and the one that is better to focus is the first. Not that thinking already of going pro is a bad thing, but is like thinking in what University you're going while you're still in Elementary School.
    Note: Their objective is not going to the Interhigh, they are already playing in the Interhigh. Their objective is going to the National phase of the Interhigh and probably be the champions.

- Thank you for spoiling stuff of Baby Steps!

Two things.

- How is going pro is more believable than "we'll work hard to get to the Interhigh and create precious memories with our senpais"? Between doing something in the current main competition you're participating and between being able to do a living of the sport that you're playing, the most grounded and the one that is better to focus is the first. Not that thinking already of going pro is a bad thing, but is like thinking in what University you're going while you're still in Elementary School.
    Note: Their objective is not going to the Interhigh, they are already playing in the Interhigh. Their objective is going to the National phase of the Interhigh and probably be the champions.

- Thank you for spoiling stuff of Baby Steps!
    Whoops sorry about the spoilers, if it helps they aren't that major.

I'm not saying that working hard and aiming to go to the interhighs and win, then go to nationals and became champions isn't a believable storyline. I'm saying that when the MC is dedicating their life to the sport and sacrificing other things like studying and a social life it makes sense that their goal is a bit higher and goes further than just wining at nationals. I guess I'm saying that I like how the scope feels bigger because in the story there's something bigger than being the best highschool sports team in Japan. Whereas in a couple of other sports series once the protags get to the point of their end goal of winning at nationals there's a sort of grand finale feeling to it because the nationals or interhigh have been hyped up so much that I can't imagine anything bigger than it coming up.

Also with regards to thinking about going pro being like thinking about Universities when your in primary school, I think it's much more like thinking about going to university or not when you're in highschool. I mean if they aren't thinking about it by this point they probably won't make it.

Whoops sorry about the spoilers, if it helps they aren't that major.

I'm not saying that working hard and aiming to go to the interhighs and win, then go to nationals and became champions isn't a believable storyline. I'm saying that when the MC is dedicating their life to the sport and sacrificing other things like studying and a social life it makes sense that their goal is a bit higher and goes further than just wining at nationals. I guess I'm saying that I like how the scope feels bigger because in the story there's something bigger than being the best highschool sports team in Japan. Whereas in a couple of other sports series once the protags get to the point of their end goal of winning at nationals there's a sort of grand finale feeling to it because the nationals or interhigh have been hyped up so much that I can't imagine anything bigger than it coming up.

Also with regards to thinking about going pro being like thinking about Universities when your in primary school, I think it's much more like thinking about going to university or not when you're in highschool. I mean if they aren't thinking about it by this point they probably won't make it.
    Yep, a lot of sport manga end after the nationals and only really talk about that and for some of them is unfortunate, specially Slam Dunk(So much potential :'( ). strangely Captain Tsubasa continued(well, I only watched the anime, so I don't really know if all of it is canon).

Normally you only start really thinking about University in the last year of High school, and normally at that time you even have counselling, to see what you want to be and where you want to go. I don't know if in England is the same, but I know that in Portugal and Japan(experience from manga/anime and an the knowledge of an interview with the High School counselling professor of Eichiiro Oda). Before thinking in University normally everybody is only thinking of High School! Of course there are exceptions.
    So about if that started already thinking about Pro in those manga, if not like elementary school than it would be like First years of Highschool already thinking of University.
    Note: I just remembered that in Slam Dunk they in the last game even thought and talked about the future. Sawakita talked to Rukawa about going to America and thriving there, so basically going to NBA. Rukawa said that he also would go there to catch him or something like that, and Sakuragi got part of the conversation and pledged that he also would later go to America. The manga even ended with Rukawa Showing Sakuragi that he was in the All Japan team, and then a plane flies over them and they stop and stare at it. So much potential. Why Inoue, Why did you decided to end the manga? :'(

There isn't a separation between Nationals and Interhigh. InterHigh is the name of the tournament, Nationals is a phase of that tournament, just like how the World Cup has the preliminaries and later the final phase. Some people think that only the final phase is the World Cup, but it isn't. Here is the same thing, you have 3 phases(in Haikyuu they only have two, because they are in Miyagi prefecture and it seems it has to few schools, they even only take 1 team to the Nationals, when Tokyo takes 2): District preliminaries phase, Prefectural preliminaries phase and in the end the National final phase.
    Given all that, winning the InterHigh means winning the National final phase! You probably meant winning the preliminaries phases and then go to the National.

Talking about spoilers in the thread it would be better to hide this for English readers:

Spoiler:
    I'm really loving the concept of Inu Yashiki, and Cyborg old men in a boring and normal society is super cool.

I usually read manga once every week or 2 weeks, so a lot of chapters tend to build up in open tabs.

I usually follow 20 or so different titles, removing things I no longer enjoy from the feed and sometimes looking up new ones. I try to read some new Jump titles, and I'm currently reading Iron Giant and Stealth Symphony, but neither is very good. I liked Cross Manage and Saiki Kusuo and would like the scanlators to pick them up again. I try to look up new cooking and sports manga, as I tend to like those topics.

On and off, I'm also currently trying to get through the spin-off Law of Ueki Plus, which is proving to become a chore, considering I started it sometime last year despite it only having 4 or 5 volumes of content. Before it, I read the original Law of Ueki, which also more or less sucked. Before that, I read Neuro, Slam Dunk and Binbougamiga, all three of which were pretty great, which is why I was on bit of a manga-reading binge and ended up going with Ueki next (I'm not on a manga-reading binge anymore).

My weekly favorites are Haikyuu, Sket Dance (finished in Japan but the translation is lagging behind as usual), One Piece, One Punch Man (Murata's, haven't checked out the original), Mob Psycho 100 and Vinland Saga, and I follow a number of more titles that I usually enjoy reading. Used to like Toriko but it's become shit for a long time now. I'm hoping the new Beelzebub side story will focus on comedy, and if it does, I'll probably be very much into it again. It used to be one of the manga I looked forward to the most, after all.

My list is also big one (near than 60 series with different pace, and some on hold). Instead of posting it, I like to ask Bigivel how did you find Inu Yashiki? I know English scanlation is in ch 2, but Spanish is in ch 6 (both by mangatopia). I have high expectations on that series. It's mindblowing with an usual protagonist, as that geezer.
    Thanks for the Inu Yashiki recommendation. Didn't read it yet but I'll def check it out. I acknowledge Gantz turned into a trainwreck a long time ago, but it used to be good, so this one might also be worth a read.

I ended Castle of Dragon by Matsunaga Toyokazu... Unexpectedly fantastic. I'll begin two short series: Spico Staff by Satoshi (Samidare) and Adventure Boys by Adachi. Hopefully there will be nice readings both, written by great mangakas.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information