+ Reply to Thread
Page 176 of 177 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 3524

Thread: General Zelda thread

Default Re: General Zelda thread

The only one to activate it's environmental protection, to be clear.

Most armors have each piece offering "+1 <environment resist>", and the areas only need 2 for cold, heat and fire, in order to leave you one slot to min-max or the sand/snow boots, or to stealth, or the kokor mask or whatever, and then the set bonus being an "<element> proof", while the Female Gerudo set having no individual bonus, but the set giving you the heat resist, (can't remember if it's +1 or +2).
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Woah, seriously? I completed the game 100% and I never realised I only needed two of each set.
    I'd probably still use all three pieces anyway because using only 2 feels "off" to me.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)

Bond en Avant practices drawing in SAI

Discovered Stowaway

I recently used my overabundance of Platinum Points on mynintendo to get Spirit Tracks cheap on the Wii U. I remember having to quit playing it on the DS because that ridiculously stupid pipe playing thing was so badly controlled due to the microphone being a piece of crap, and I thought the Wii U pad and TV might be a better way to make it work. Sure enough, I can't even get past the very first pipe playing challenge. Is there any advice anyone can give regarding this? It renders the game damn near unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Cautiously optimistic I think? The areas they showed look 100% faithful to the original, and the music sounds decent.

Why weren't you at Elf Practice, Link?!

Hidden:

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Looks pretty hype to me. I want to see more.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

This was rumored for a long time, so glad to see it finally confirmed. I have to say, it's looking better than I was picturing it would, even with the cutesy art style. Definitely looking forward to this!
    Thanks to PirateNeko for the avatar!

Discovered Stowaway

If they learned from the many, many, MANY mistakes of A Link Between Worlds, I wouldn't mind if this got the same treatment. Maybe make the world map a mirror image of the original and scramble up the landscape and dungeons so they get most of a new game but it isn't just a graphical update to something that already had a DX remake on the GBC.

What was so wrong about a Link Between Worlds?

Hidden:

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Personally, A Link Between Worlds felt pretty dull to me. Except that the transition to Lorule is random as hell and sort of happens all of a sudden with no explanation, the dungeons are forgettable, and the items being rentable takes a lot of satisfaction away from earning them through dungeons/quests and intuitively knowing that I can backtrack to areas I've recently been to with new items to reach new areas. I felt like I was playing a super barebones Zelda banking on nostalgia and unmemorable exploration. And I didn't even play A Link to the Past before trying A Link Between Worlds, so I couldn't even get that nostalgia side dish bonus.

Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks jived with me so much more than A Link Between Worlds ever came close to. It's a fine game on its own though, I definitely wouldn't call it bad. And the wall painting mechanic is neat.

And on the subject of Link's Reawakening, I don't mind the art-style, but I don't really like it either. The plastic-y overworld looks cheap instead of aesthetically pleasing and the character models look like generic Funko pops. I think the art-style would have a much better effect on me if they either went with a normal art-style or fully committed to a direction as wild as Paper Mario, Wind Waker, and the yarn Kirby/Yoshi games, which are all quirky art-styles I fell in love with right away.

I hear people say that the art-style reminds them of toys or claymation, and I kind of see what they mean but doesn't hit the mark. If Nintendo was actually going for something like that, then they should make the game actually look like its made of painted clay models like Earthbound character art or made out of toys with quirky joints/pieces and wooden/plastic (not the cheap budgeted shiny kind) like in Toy Story. This game feels like this weird middle ground compromise between a typical Zelda style and an abstract style, but that ends up making it look weird.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Agree that LBW wasn't very memorable and the item renting mechanic kind of broke the game (in my case, made it easier than it should have been), but it was definitely fun and the dungeons were fairly entertaining. In fact, they're probably the only thing I remember about the game, even if I don't remember the names of the dungeons themselves. The overworld and side quests are what did nothing for me.

As for Link's Awakening, I fail to see how the artistic style is a problem. So far it seems to nicely recreate the feeling of the original, and jives well with the gameplay. I don't think they were specifically going for claymation or toys, just going for a logical 3D transition of what it was before, so faulting them for not going all out with a toy/claymation style is faulting them for a design consideration we have, not them.

Link Between World's mechanic of letting you rent everything was both good and bad. It was good in that it left the entire world open to you immediately... but bad in that it left no feeling of progression or real need to go back anywhere. (I also really didn't like the cling to walls as a drawing gimmick... it felt like exactly that, a gimmick meant to employ the one special feature of the 3DS, and was really awkward given the rest of the game was designed as overhead view.)

BotW hits a better balance. It starts you with basically everything you need to explore the entire world, but things that make it easier like the ally powers, or the master sword, or even clothes that let you survive in hot/cold environments, you get along the way. Go where ever you want, do whatever you want, and if you have the skill nothing is blocked off to you... but you still get upgrades along the way. The best Metroids and Castlevanias are similar.

You can sequence break Super Metroid in all sorts of crazy ways, you can do crazy stuff like fighting bosses in reverse order which requires you run through lava rooms without armor and use some crazy tricks to survive the experience, but you CAN do it.... but its easier if you take the intended progression path.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I hear people say that the art-style reminds them of toys or claymation, and I kind of see what they mean but doesn't hit the mark. If Nintendo was actually going for something like that, then they should make the game actually look like its made of painted clay models like Earthbound character art or made out of toys with quirky joints/pieces and wooden/plastic (not the cheap budgeted shiny kind) like in Toy Story. This game feels like this weird middle ground compromise between a typical Zelda style and an abstract style, but that ends up making it look weird.
    I think I'm the only one who finds the clay models of Earthbound either creepy or ugly.

Hidden:

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I think I'm the only one who finds the clay models of Earthbound either creepy or ugly.
    I totally get feeling that vibe lol. Children's claymation like in the Rudolph the Red-Nosed can be unsettling to look at. But I think you can use that to your advantage. Especially for designing enemies.

I'd prefer a toy aesthetic that's similar to how Sora, Donald, and Goofy look on the Toy Box world in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    As for Link's Awakening, I fail to see how the artistic style is a problem. So far it seems to nicely recreate the feeling of the original, and jives well with the gameplay. I don't think they were specifically going for claymation or toys, just going for a logical 3D transition of what it was before, so faulting them for not going all out with a toy/claymation style is faulting them for a design consideration we have, not them.
    That makes sense. Although I'm not saying that refusing to go with an arbitrary preference I have is a fault on them. Just that it would be more appealing to me if they went all-out in a surreal direction like that. Because that's usually how stylized art-styles tend to work for me. When making Wind Waker, they turned down making another psuedo-realistic Zelda and went all out on cel-shaded cartoons despite how radical a shift it was. It worked because it knew what it wanted to be and the game was made based on that. Although me speculating that they might have been trying something toy/clay-esque was purely conjecture based on first impressions. They probably weren't doing that (even if it would look totally freaking awesome and it's surprising how we haven't gotten a Zelda game like that yet).

I get that it's mainly focusing on recreating its pixelated art-style with 3D shapes. But even on that end, I think it would work a lot better if they simply updated the pixelated art-style instead of ditching it for this weird middle ground between a pixel Zelda game and a 3D Zelda game. It doesn't really make me feel like it's a logical 3D transition because pixel games from decades ago were mainly trying to replicate cartoony or realistic likeness while dealing with limitations, not valuing those limitations in and of itself. Appreciation for pixelated visuals as its own definitive art-style came a lot later thanks to nostalgic hindsight and open-minded creativity, so trying to adapt a sprite game LITERALLY straightforward into 3D feels weird because, well, the original intention of the game was never literally trying to be like that? If they had modern tech back when first making the game (with the suspension of disbelief that they would still try making 2D Zelda games instead of jumping straight to 3D off the bat lol), it would probably look more like A Link Between Worlds. Or how Pokemon Let's Go looks in comparison to Pokemon Yellow. Which works a lot better for me because it replicates the classic camera view of older games but embraces looking more like its actual character art with the world and models.

If you wanted to make a modernized top-down pixelated game... they should just make a top-down pixelated game? Like Shovel Knight or Sonic Mania? Because pixels can stand the test of time and not look outdated if you don't have a limited creative perspective? There isn't an objective rule saying you can't 3D-ify pixelated character models and I'm not saying this overall art-style vision is definitively bad or does not work. But I look at this game and feel like it's taking half-measures towards embracing whatever it is it wants to be, which gets in the way of me falling in love with how this looks compared to Wind Waker or Paper Mario.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

I like the LA remake art style quite a bit. It has a cool cutesy approach to 3D with more realistic textures, which is what gives it that 'toylike' feeling. What's admirable about it to me is how effortlessly it translates the old style. LA was a Gameboy game, so it was built the system's hardware limitations. The map is divided into sorta chunky tiles collected in grids on small screens and the original art style (which is still pretty well-loved) was built around that to make a good-looking and readable world fit that kind of space. The new style is a 1:1 remake into 3D that manages to make space look organic without compromising the underlying grid structure. Plus having a cutesy art-style mirrors the plot in a way that's true to the original, which also built a contrast between its more detailed opening sequence and its more stylized gameplay.

Since the tiles and characters are so small by design, I don't think they could make a more detailed toy artstyle readable without distorting or breaking the game's map to compensate.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I guess I'm in the minority, I really liked Link Between Worlds, being one of the very few Zelda games I've actually 100%'d. Can't really say one way or the other about this LA remake since....I haven't played the original. Just pieces of the Oracle games.

Biggest difference is that oracles game had the option of making rooms bigger than one screen. This remake will as well, that is going to require some adjustments.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Huh, I thought everyone thought Link Between Worlds was really great. I thought it was, anyway.

I liked it well enough, but I'm hard pressed to remember a single dungeon.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information