+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: General Zelda thread

Default Re: General Zelda thread

For the record: I would be fine with Link being a girl, I just never bought that this new version was - Link always looked feminine, so it's not like that's anything new.

At least we have confirmation that this is Link, though. Aonuma probably should've known how people would react to his joke, but I guess he was just having fun (and probably still is).

Thanks to PirateNeko for the avatar!

To be perfectly honest, The "Female Link" idea was a stretch from the get go. Not because I think it's entirely beyond Nintendo to do that, but, I don't think the character in the video was feminine enough to say it was a female in the trailer. To elaborate, I think if the intent was for that character to be female, or for it to be a big deal that the character was female, it would be more obvious that the character is indeed female. As it stands, it doesn't look too far from being Link's normally prettyboy self, albeit maybe a little prettier than usual.

The idea though is one I like. Seeing a Female Link would be really really cool.
    I mean seriously, think of one first party Nintendo Franchise that stars a female main character. Give me one.
    I bet you thought and immedaitely came to "Metroid!, and of course, Samus Aran is our one representation in the Nintendoverse for Female leads... but even then, she's covered in that armor so that it's not readily apparent she's a girl. Hell, the entire purpose of the reveal from the first game was that you DIDN'T know until the final cutscene.

If there's any established franchise Nintendo could do this to, genderswapping their main character, it's the Zelda series and it's Link. Link is different than every other Nintendo franchise in that, when you play a Zelda game, there's a fairly good chance you are not playing as the same character you were in the previous game. Sure, you have the sequel game that happens every now and then (LA, MM, PH, ALBW) but by and large, each Zelda game stars a Different generation of Link and Zelda.
    Every time you play Mario, for example, you're playing as the same guy. Metroid, Pikmin, Star Fox, et al are always the same characters from the same world continuing their stories.

That being said, they could EASILY do a "Female" Link, and it wouldn't be "Changing" Link's gender or "Cutting off his parts" as some have crudely commented. It would simply be that another generation has passed and this time, the Hero of Legend happens to be a Girl.
    In that regard, I think it would be amazing and I'd really love to play that game. Obviously, being a girl, It'd be neat if I could play an iteration of my favorite game series ever as a female (Hell, playing as Zelda for an entire adventure would be cool too) but the better part would be seeing how they can play with some of the expected story elements and character quirks present in Link were the character Female.

Either way, the game looks bloody fantastic. Seriously, 45 seconds of trailer and I'm already salivating. shutupandtakemymoney.gif et al.

A lot of people are going nuts over the "ZOMG, Is Link teh femails?" but I'm more curious about the thing Link (If that was Link!) was fighting and the Arrow Link was about to shoot. It almost looks like they're going higher-tech this time around, or maybe it's magic? The whole thing has me intreagued! Zelda's always been a swords and sorcery kind of fantasy setting, but I'm open to other interpretations, as long as it feels natural and not hamfisted in.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

What is it about Zelda that people love so much ? Is it the gameplay ? Is it the story ? Is it the characters ?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverOcelot View Post
    What is it about Zelda that people love so much ? Is it the gameplay ? Is it the story ? Is it the characters ?
    70% Nostalgia
    10% Characters
    20% Playable

Quote Originally Posted by Silver R. Bolt View Post
    70% Nostalgia
    10% Characters
    20% Playable
    Come on , it can't be Nostalgia for a series that is held in extremely high regards amongst gamers .

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Come on , it can't be Nostalgia for a series that is held in extremely high regards amongst gamers .
    You'd be surprised. Zelda is a franchise that defined a lot of gamers who grew up in the NES and SNES era
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

I love Zelda for far more than just Nostalgia. It has some of my favorite gameplay and worlds in all of gaming

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    You'd be surprised. Zelda is a franchise that defined a lot of gamers who grew up in the NES and SNES era
    That still can't be the reason why many gamers love it though .

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    I love Zelda for far more than just Nostalgia. It has some of my favorite gameplay and worlds in all of gaming
    See that's what i am talking about .

Any way What about the story and characters of Zelda ?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

See that's what i am talking about .

Any way What about the story and characters of Zelda ?
    Story varies from game to game. In terms of actual plot Zelda games are good, but still pretty standard fair for video games (Though there aresme pretty great moments. Windwaker's ending is an example that is really powerful in my eyes). Characters almost always change entirely from game to game (Since even recurring characters are almost always a different version of the same character from a different point in the timeline ex. Almost every game has it's own unique Link and Zelda with a few exceptions) but Zelda games tend to have a lot of unique interesting side characters (link himself is always silent). I've loved a lot of the companion characters like King of Red Lions and Midna, and some other cool ones include Groose from Skyward sword. Ganondorf (Who should be noted as being one of the few characters who is actually consistently the same person throughout) is one of my favorite Nintendo villains as he really does feel menacing and powerful. But Zelda in my eyes is really all about the worlds you explore and I feel like a lot of the times characters and their quirks are really more there to add more character to the world itself. Zelda lore is also pretty interesting as long as you're not too obsessive over everything fitting together perfectly.

I like Zelda because of the puzzles so much in those games are puzzles. Dungeons, the world design itself, the bosses.
    And because the puzzles are always packed up in different ways it keeps the rhythm of the game going.
    You usually don't experience puzzle fatigue while playing.
    Also what's super enjoyable is the power curve. You become stronger after every dungeon in a very tangible way(new item + heart).

Guaranteed quality if you like the genre. I wouldn't claim that every installment is without flaws, but Zelda is one of the few remaining series you can "buy blind". It's one of Nintendo's flagships after all, they won't screw up (or at least try their best not to).

So yeah, many gamers love Zelda because many gamers own Zelda. I think it's that simple, apart from everyones individual reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    Story varies from game to game. In terms of actual plot Zelda games are good, but still pretty standard fair for video games (Though there aresme pretty great moments. Windwaker's ending is an example that is really powerful in my eyes). Characters almost always change entirely from game to game (Since even recurring characters are almost always a different version of the same character from a different point in the timeline ex. Almost every game has it's own unique Link and Zelda with a few exceptions) but Zelda games tend to have a lot of unique interesting side characters (link himself is always silent). I've loved a lot of the companion characters like King of Red Lions and Midna, and some other cool ones include Groose from Skyward sword. Ganondorf (Who should be noted as being one of the few characters who is actually consistently the same person throughout) is one of my favorite Nintendo villains as he really does feel menacing and powerful. But Zelda in my eyes is really all about the worlds you explore and I feel like a lot of the times characters and their quirks are really more there to add more character to the world itself. Zelda lore is also pretty interesting as long as you're not too obsessive over everything fitting together perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I like Zelda because of the puzzles so much in those games are puzzles. Dungeons, the world design itself, the bosses.
    And because the puzzles are always packed up in different ways it keeps the rhythm of the game going.
    You usually don't experience puzzle fatigue while playing.
    Also what's super enjoyable is the power curve. You become stronger after every dungeon in a very tangible way(new item + heart).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Guaranteed quality if you like the genre. I wouldn't claim that every installment is without flaws, but Zelda is one of the few remaining series you can "buy blind". It's one of Nintendo's flagships after all, they won't screw up (or at least try their best not to).

So yeah, many gamers love Zelda because many gamers own Zelda. I think it's that simple, apart from everyones individual reasons.
    Been wanting to play it for some time now but hearing these things about it definitely got me more interested in the series so thanks for that .

I'm pretty sure a huge part of Zelda's intrigue is the nostalgia (even though it varies from generation). At least mostly my interest in playing the games are nostalgia mixed with puzzle solving. Though another big part of Zelda is it's presentation. There really isn't anything much like it in terms of how it presents the world in a formulaic way.

Nostalgia doesn't carry a franchise. It might be a reason for people to automatically give a new title a try, and it might even generate hype if there are no past disappointments, but gamers are not shy about complaining when a game isn't up to standards. Also most people don't think all Zelda games are even great.

Relatively consistent quality; kind of like what Jabra said.

It's the same concept behind the prevalence of fast food. Not in that Zelda is typically shit, but in that you pretty much know what to expect, so it's always a safe bet (as opposed to the hole-in-the-wall in an alley. Could be great. Could be terrible). Overworld, dungeons, items, patterned bosses, puzzles, light platforming, a certain reused stock of enemies with a few guaranteed new ones. They never really mix up the formula that much (Except with one major gimmick: light/dark world, adult/child, moon falling time limit, changing seasons/ages, sailing, touch controls, shrinking, wolf transformation, bird riding, wall crawling, etc.) which is fine, because why fix what ain't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Nostalgia doesn't carry a franchise. It might be a reason for people to automatically give a new title a try, and it might even generate hype if there are no past disappointments, but gamers are not shy about complaining when a game isn't up to standards. Also most people don't think all Zelda games are even great.
    I don't about that but from what i have seen lots of gamers to seem to adore the entire franchise to the point where they considered it to be one of the most important game franchise for any gamer out there . Not saying that every fan of Zelda does that , just the ones i have met / seen online .

I suppose that is the accurate way of seeing the picture due to the reaction of the DS based Zelda games oriented towards touch screen controls or the multiplayer ones. If I'm not mistaken, don't most folks perceive those as the "not so great" Zelda games (aside from the Philips CD-i ones)? I guess the consistency of the Zelda formula that doesn't steer too far from it's gameplay is what often gets people to keep trying the game (then again, the presentation radically changed since it transitioned from 2D-3D on the 64, but somewhat maintained the spirit/elements of the original 2D gameplay).

Then again, I suppose that goes with most (if not all) of Nintendo's most popular franchises. In fact, I think the Kirby franchise is a clear indicator of this (familiar formula = generally a guaranteed hit, new/gimmicky gameplay = hit/miss).

I don't about that but from what i have seen lots of gamers to seem to adore the entire franchise to the point where they considered it to be one of the most important game franchise for any gamer out there . Not saying that every fan of Zelda does that , just the ones i have met / seen online .
    Well a franchise can be important without every single game in it being amazing. From the perspective of video game evolution in general it's a hugely "important" series. I'm just saying that doesn't imply worshiping every title. Majora's Mask is probably my favorite game ever made, but I refuse to praise Phantom Hourglass. Also Adventures of Link even being considered a Zelda game is a heated debate depending on who you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Well a franchise can be important without every single game in it being amazing. From the perspective of video game evolution in general it's a hugely "important" series. I'm just saying that doesn't imply worshiping every title. Majora's Mask is probably my favorite game ever made, but I refuse to praise Phantom Hourglass. Also Adventures of Link even being considered a Zelda game is a heated debate depending on who you ask.
    Agreed .............

sometimes it comes down to the style of game you prefer. I have a friend who loves the over the shoulder style started in OOT and that most console zelda's use now but he doesn't like the top-down perspective zeldas.

I'm also part of the minority who really likes adventure of link and i think a part of that is because i like platformers a lot. If you like adventure games or games where you can just explore and see everything then you will really like zelda. Not all are great of course. Phantom hourglass is the worst imo but i know some say minish cap, some say four swords and others spirit tracks but these are noticeably handheld zeldas. Not saying all the handhelds are bad or aor the consoles are good though. Twilight princess is one that is split among fans and A Link Between worlds on 3DS is one of the best zelda games out there.

Just don't play the CD-i zeldas

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information