+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: General Zelda thread

Default Re: General Zelda thread

I wished more Zelda games had the collectable aspects of Oracles or Majora's Mask. Collecting rings and masks are just way more fun than collecting pieces of a health meter.

I wish more Zelda games were irreverently quirky as Wind Waker was.

I wish more Zelda games had you control a wolf god and use a magic paintbrush while being set in ancient Japan like Okami did.

Honestly, I don't think there's such a thing as an official Nintendo Zelda game that isn't at least PLAYABLE, and enjoyable to some extent. However, there are some games that, to put it in the nicest way possible, just aren't up to snuff.

Spirit Tracks... I never even finished. I need to get back in there and beat it because it's tarnishing my Zelda street cred with a game I've never finished, but I haven't. Four Swords is honestly a minigame within a bigger game that is now being re-released as a stand alone game. It was basically a nifty Multiplayer mode for the GBA Re-release of A Link to the Past, but now it's treated like a full entry in the series with the 3DS/DSi download and it's.... just not. It's extremely light on content and has next to no story. Four Swords Adventures is a great game, but was built around the multiplayer schtick so heavily that it's honestly not really too fun without 2-4 players.
    Twilight Princess I have a love-hate relationship with. On the one hand, it's classic Zelda and it feels quite fun, but it comes off to me as somewhat more bland than other entries in the series. Perhaps it's the wolf bits, or the disappointment at me basically wanting Skyward Sword style controls out of the Wiimote controls and only getting waggle. (I needed to wait YEARS to get my 1:1 sword control in Skyward Sword!!)
    Zelda II is a wierd one because on the one hand, it's pretty innovative for its time and includes a lot of things that would become series staples (The magic meter being a big one) but it's DRASTICALLY different than any other game in the series. It's the only Side-scrolling Zelda game ever for a reason, and Ninendo has never gone back to that play style for a Zelda title. YMMV on this one, but I wasn't a fan.

As far as the STORY, a lot of the games do have the basic "The Princess and/or Hyrule is in peril, Link! Save us!" and Link then has to proceed to save them. Each game however has nuance and added depth that make them good. Like, Ganondorf is revealed in Ocarina of Time to be the only man born that generation in a race of Amazon theives, which tradition dictates makes him their king. That's the catalyst for his thirst for power. Skyward Sword has a lot of great character moments, Groose's entire story arc as well as Fi. Fi is probably the BEST "Helper Character" in any Zelda game (Die Navi, Die in a freak Greasefire) because she actually grows as the story progresses and I actually got teary eyed at her coda at the end.

Majora's Mask is my favorite of all time and I think it has something to do with specifically this. It's a sequel to Ocarina of Time and as-such, its story is drastically different than the "Formula". Navi is lost after OoT, so Link has gone looking for her and ends up in the alternate world of Termina. When an ancient artifact known as "Majora's Mask" is unleashed by a hapless Skull Kid, Link has 3 days to stop him from destroying the world by crashing the moon down into it. Luckily, you can manipulate the flow of time and restart that 3 day cycle as much as you want. The most interesting aspect tho are the NPCs. There are a Ton of NPCs in this game who all have their own stories and in the 3 days they do specific things in their lives. So when you go back in time, you can follow each person who has an actual mini-arc to this moment of their lives. You get more items to collect (The Masks in particular, but not always) by following their stories and interacting with them and affecting their stories in meaningful ways.

That's why Ocarina of Time isn't the top of my list of best Zelda games, because Majora's Mask did the story so much better.

Now, The CD-i Games can go choke on a knife.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

OoT:MM :: DKC1:DKC2

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I wish more Zelda games had you control a wolf god and use a magic paintbrush while being set in ancient Japan like Okami did.
    If and ONLY if it were made by Platinum Studios....

Don't quite agree with that comparison. Diddy Kong's Quest improved on pretty much everything from DKC, even when there wasn't a lot that needed improvement. Majora's Mask didn't do that for Ocarina of Time, it just gave us something different.
    Also, I'm going to be the weirdo and say I didn't finish Majora's Mask because I got bored of the dungeons. There I said it.

I'm more into the adventure and puzzle side of things when it comes to Zelda, and Majora's Mask is much more into the collecting thing and side-quests like you guys said. There's nothing wrong with that, but to me that means that Ocarina of Time was infinitely more approachable, and the likes of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker as well. I do love the environment of Termina though, and how it follows a completely different formula and it works really well, and it is something we should get once more, but I'm not as excited about MM as other people.

Also, to me Midna is by far the best helper, followed perhaps by Tati. I developed too much dislike for Fi thanks to her constant reminders and hand-holding. Much more annoying to me than Navi's "HEY!"
    3DS Friend Code:1504-6058-2691 NNID:Anax4Aero
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

Even considering Zelda 2 is the black sheep of the family, I'm kind of surprised they never tried again to make a metroidvania style game after Symphony of the Night showed exactly how to do it.

The biggest problem with Z2 is it was stupid hard due to the combat system being crap (mostly due to the extremely short sword range and lack of distance attacks if you didn't have absolutely full health... ) really obtuse hints, and the *leveling system* being unforgiving, and the method of the monster encounters was kind of dumb. Overworld mixe with side scroller... not so great.

Though I guess they decided "Zelda is overhead, Metroid is platforming" and settled for that (and proceeded to not do any more Kid Icarus for 20 years.)

Of course, not even Metroid is allowed to make Metroidvania games anymore since it went all 3D...

Majora's Mask had a much, much richer world. Most people would probably see that as a big improvement. To me "adventure" encompasses exploration, and exploration is better when there is more to see, do, and discover. Items, side-quests, fleshed out stories that you can follow and alter. Piecing together the world by observing the details of the inhabitants over time. Also blazing trails as a Goron and frolicking in the ocean as a Zora.

I do lament the fact that it only had 4 major dungeons, but I wouldn't call them boring. Their puzzles and design are way up there with any other temple. Particularly the central pillar theme in Snowhead Temple was pretty clever, and the Stone Tower Temple is entirely genius with the inversion mechanic.

I still regret not finishing Majora's Mask on the Virtual Console. I've got a few masks, did a couple of the sidequests, and right now I'm stuck at Snowhead. ...but what I regret more is not giving the game the appreciation it deserved when I had it for N64 as a kid. I even gave the darn thing away!

(unforunately due to my Wii U transfer I'll have to either get a pro controller or wait for the GC adapters to give it another go)

also I've never played Skyward Sword. ....yay? nay?

I loved Skyward Sword but I had 0 problems with the controller not working. I had to recalibrate like 2 times maybe in my entire playthrough and both times because I went away for an extended amount of time before coming back to play. It suffers from a lot of annoying handholding stuff that fail the quality of life test hard(no telling me every time what rupees are when I load into the game and pick them up the first time during that session is not useful).
    I really liked the strategic aspect the slash direction gave to combat, the fights against Ghirahim were truly memorable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    also I've never played Skyward Sword. ....yay? nay?
    Depends how you feel about motion controls. Personally I hated the combat and wasn't enthralled by the setting at all, so I didn't like it, but I know there are a lot of people who love Skyward Sword. Probably one of the most divisive Zelda games to date.

Skyward sword is at the least a Zelda game, so it's definitely enjoyable.

BUT
    my biggest cripes against it were
    This dungeon AGAIN?
    This boss battle AGAIN?
    And for the love of Hylia, stop holding my hand, game, I understand that picking up hearts will restore my health and that the beeping noise means I'm low on health!

Now, if only there was more Groose ...

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Don't quite agree with that comparison. Diddy Kong's Quest improved on pretty much everything from DKC, even when there wasn't a lot that needed improvement. Majora's Mask didn't do that for Ocarina of Time, it just gave us something different.
    Also, I'm going to be the weirdo and say I didn't finish Majora's Mask because I got bored of the dungeons. There I said it.

I'm more into the adventure and puzzle side of things when it comes to Zelda, and Majora's Mask is much more into the collecting thing and side-quests like you guys said. There's nothing wrong with that, but to me that means that Ocarina of Time was infinitely more approachable, and the likes of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker as well. I do love the environment of Termina though, and how it follows a completely different formula and it works really well, and it is something we should get once more, but I'm not as excited about MM as other people.
    I respectfully disagree. ;)
    MM did improve on everything from OoT. So much of it was literally copy-paste... but done better (characters, minigames, item mechanics, gold skultulla hunts, ocarina songs).

Similarly, DKC2 was alllll about the collectibles. You couldn't even beat the game properly without finding every bonus barrel and DK coin. DKC1's bonuses were lackluster and entirely skippable.

And I loved MM's dungeons, but I admit that I'm biased because I know them like the back of my hand after playing through the game 15-odd times.

OoT built a good skeleton (okay... a GREAT one), but MM slapped on the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    I respectfully disagree. ;)
    MM did improve on everything from OoT. So much of it was literally copy-paste... but done better (characters, minigames, item mechanics, gold skultulla hunts).

Similarly, DKC2 was alllll about the collectibles. You couldn't even beat the game properly without finding every bonus barrel and DK coin. DKC1's bonuses were lackluster and entirely skippable.

And I loved MM's dungeons, but I admit that I'm biased because I know them like the back of my hand after playing through the game 15-odd times.
    That you are right about, had completely forgotten how much of a collect-fest it was. I can see how the analogy makes sense now xD

Still, I can't see MM as more than an Ocarina of Time that focuses on a completely different aspect of Zelda and executes it perfectly, rather than an actual sequel/improvement on OoT.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I loved Skyward Sword but I had 0 problems with the controller not working. I had to recalibrate like 2 times maybe in my entire playthrough and both times because I went away for an extended amount of time before coming back to play. It suffers from a lot of annoying handholding stuff that fail the quality of life test hard(no telling me every time what rupees are when I load into the game and pick them up the first time during that session is not useful).
    I really liked the strategic aspect the slash direction gave to combat, the fights against Ghirahim were truly memorable for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Skyward sword is at the least a Zelda game, so it's definitely enjoyable.

BUT
    my biggest cripes against it were
    This dungeon AGAIN?
    This boss battle AGAIN?
    And for the love of Hylia, stop holding my hand, game, I understand that picking up hearts will restore my health and that the beeping noise means I'm low on health!

Now, if only there was more Groose ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    Depends how you feel about motion controls. Personally I hated the combat and wasn't enthralled by the setting at all, so I didn't like it, but I know there are a lot of people who love Skyward Sword. Probably one of the most divisive Zelda games to date.
    Seems to be the case lol

From what I've seen gameplay-wise, I'm not 100% sure if I want to get it, but it's gotten my brother's attention. Definitely viable considering our Wii U came with a motion plus controller. But for now, I'll stick to glorious Wind Waker in glorious HD <3

But man oh man, I'll make it my life's goal to 100% Majora's Mask. Such a....well, deep game.
    Last edited by MetaMario; June 24th, 2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: also why has the final boss of SS gotten so much attention for Smash?

I've got an argument against MM not having that many main dungeons because I do not really think that's true at all, or atleast... It did not really think it made the game feel any more shorter. The stuff you had to do before the actual dungeons made up alot of the length for me. It's usually the case in most Zelda games, but I feel the pre-dungeon stuff wraps up pretty perfectly with the main dungeons to a point where it all feels like four large individual story arcs that seamlessly interconnects with your main goal. All the stuff you had to do before Stone Tower Temple is probably my favorite example.

But yeah. MM is still to this date my favorite 3D Zelda game (next to Windwaker).

I think OoT is a bit... eh.... How should I say this nicely? Duller than MM? It was great when I played it the first time, and the final boss is still memorable. Outiside a few moments, it's kinda barren and barely my favorite Zelda game anymore.

I don't even remember, was there a lot to do in OoT before entering the dungeons?
    Probably a lot of stuff like "well, you can do this quest, clear this spider den, jump down this grave, but it's not really required" while MM had things like clearing out the gerudo fortress and finding all Zora eggs, bringing rain to the creepy zombie filled hills, making the deku temple rise out of the water, making the ice melt in the Goron village, it's actually better than I remember
    but yeah, I agree with a lot of you good folks here; MM or WW for me anyday, great games

I mean at the end of the day it still comes down to what you find the most fun in games. Some people can't stand the 3-day mechanic and having to "redo" things constantly. I feel sad that they can't see/enjoy the beauty of it.

For me though, I like puzzles and puzzle solving. A lot. There's a fair bit of that with all the side content... in fact a huge amount of it, but in a different way. Dungeons are like contained puzzle challenge units, and they are a MAJOR draw for me. Creative use of items and mechanics, new dungeon items, atmosphere... so for me it would be extremely difficult to have such a thing as too many dungeons. And with the precedence set by OoT in terms of main story length and dungeon count, I felt it was a bit lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    I don't even remember, was there a lot to do in OoT before entering the dungeons?
    I mean, it has stuff. Ice Cavern and the Bottom of the Well, the Gerudo hideout and Haunted Wastelands, learning Saria's Song. Then smaller tasks like getting the Hookshot from Dampé or finding Ruto's note etc. I would say they are reasonably comparable in terms of mandatory events.

but yeah, I agree with a lot of you good folks here; MM or WW for me anyday, great games
    Please don't tack WW onto our opinion XD.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Probably a lot of stuff like "well, you can do this quest, clear this spider den, jump down this grave, but it's not really required" while MM had things like clearing out the gerudo fortress and finding all Zora eggs, bringing rain to the creepy zombie filled hills, making the deku temple rise out of the water, making the ice melt in the Goron village, it's actually better than I remember
    Only other thing OoT had aside from heart piece to collect is the skulltulas
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information